• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto and Tezuka weigh in on who should play Link and Mario Bros in live action

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought we could use a more amusing thread.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09...ont page)&utm_content=6&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Link:

IGN said:
In an interview with MTV, Tezuka says: "It would be very fun and awesome if Link was played by a female actress, a boyish female actress."

Miyamoto responds: "This is something I never imagined because Link is very different to how a Japanese person looks. At the Japanese Expo I attended there were so many people in cosplay who looked very good. They would be good [actors]!"

He reiterates his desire for an unknown actor, saying: "With Japanese TV drama and film they always use the same actors, so I actually think we should have someone completely new."

Mario/Luigi:

IGN said:
The pair also discuss casting for a theoretical reboot of a Super Mario film, saying that the second time around, the Mario Brothers would have to be played by twins.

"... One thing we can say about the original film was that Luigi was very young and handsome in the original movie," says Miyamoto. "But Mario and Luigi are supposed to be twins. So a new cast would definitely have to be twins."

Live Action Productions:

IGN said:
Regarding Mario and Link films, Miyamoto stresses that Nintendo does not have anything in the works, but that the company is "definitely interested and open to it." The interview contains a few other interesting tidbits as well - for instance, Miyamoto reveals that the iconic plumber brothers were originally made as twins with similar sprites to keep within the game's memory limitations.

A younger Link being played by a woman could work, probably inspired by Peter Pan
Animated could alleviate that issue. It might be a bit too obvious now a days for a TV or a movie

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Carey Mulligan for Link

Ill allow it

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I was sure Luigi was his younger brother. By a few years, not minutes.

Link is Peter Pan.
A female actress could easily play him.

Griss

Mario and Luigi are twins?!?

Mind blown...

Always thought Luigi was the cowardly younger brother. They damn sure aren't identical, that's for sure.

The stork delivered Mario and Luigi at the same time. When GAF isn't calling Yoshi's Island "medioce," they're busy not even playing it.

Disgusting.

Ah, I always thought that was like a cute, non-canon fable or something... And I thought that because as a kid I 'knew' that Mario and Luigi weren't twins.

It was in my face this whole time, dammit.

Miyamoto stresses that Nintendo does not have anything in the works

Best fucking news. Long may it continue.

Boney

Banned
The stork delivered Mario and Luigi at the same time. When GAF isn't calling Yoshi's Island "medioce," they're busy not even playing it.

Disgusting.
Yeah, what the hell GAF, I know you guys don't play games but Yoshi's Island is a thing y'know.

And hell Partners in Time also covers this

/Mario lore

KingBroly

Banned
Mario and Luigi are twins?!?

Mind blown...

Always thought Luigi was the cowardly younger brother. They damn sure aren't identical, that's for sure.

Yoshi's Island

and it's obvious that the reverse is true, given how much crying Baby Mario does.

massoluk

Banned
This is news to me as well. Does Mario have a convoluted timeline?
From Vinnk's investigative report
  1. Mini Koopa is Mario’s brother, stepbrother or cousin.
  2. How height of someone is directly proportional to how old they are.
  3. Mario’s father (or uncle) often kidnaps his own daughter (or niece).
  4. It is up to Mario to constantly defeat his father (or uncle) to win the love of his sister.
  5. Mario is possibly romantically involved with his sister.
  6. Mario has an evil brother.
  7. No one knows who Waluigi is, but he hangs out with the family at most parties.

Top Bottom