• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto believes Mario shouldn't star in too many games

Vizion28

Banned
Shigeru Miyamoto has spoken of the dangers of over-exposing Mario. During the GameCube era, Mario starred in a succession of sports, party and even dancing games but it seems lessons have been learnt.

"Mario is a very important character in the Nintendo world and so we want him to appear in our titles," said Miyamoto in an interview on the UK Nintendo Channel

"Indeed there are a lot of games to which he is well-suited. However if he appears in too many games then they will lose their uniqueness, and so with that we are very strict when choosing which games to have Mario feature in."

So hopefully that means Mario won't star in a dancing game again.
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=17626

I think it's a little too late for that. Hasn't Mario appeared in more games than any other character?

Let's see we have

New Super Mario Bros Wii
Smash Bros
New super mario bros
Galaxy one & two
Mario party 8
Mario Tennis NPC
Mario Strikers
Mario Baseball
Mario and Sonic in the Olympics and Mario and Sonic in the Winter Olympics

I wonder how many DS games Mario has starred in?

Do you believe Mario shouldn't be in too many games?

Ironic, because Mario was originally supposed to be "Mr. Video," a character to be in every Nintendo game made by Miyamoto.

I don't think it really matters. Mario is synonymous with Nintendo now.

I'd personally like to see the character branch out into new things because I'm sort of bored with Mario in almost all iterations. But that is another thread altogether and I know it's not the general consensus.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
EmCeeGramr said:
Ironic, because Mario was originally supposed to be "Mr. Video," a character to be in every Nintendo game made by Miyamoto.

Damn, I know a lot about video games, but that's the first I've heard this.

You learn something new every day I guess.

Alienshogun said:
Damn, I know a lot about video games, but that's the first I've heard this.

You learn something new every day I guess.
Yep.

Jumpman was envisioned as a protocharacter. Never meant to be limited to one thing.

Well, I'm pretty sure there are more Mega Man games than Mario games, so Miyamoto doesn't have to worry yet...

Vizion28 said:
Do you believe Mario shouldn't be in too many games?
I think that, as long as the games are good and Mario fits the tone of the game, I don't care. If The Legend of Zelda had Mario instead of Link and had a different tone (i.e. more Mario Galaxy, less Twilight Princess), I wouldn't care at all.

In fact, I think I kinda like Mario's presence in games. Paper Mario with other characters would likely not be as good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why would you do that? said:
Well, I'm pretty sure there are more Mega Man games than Mario games, so Miyamoto doesn't have to worry yet...
Nintendo fans set an incredibly low bar yet again.

It wouldn't be so bad if the Mario world branched out, but the repeat of NSMB DS, Galaxy, NSMB, Galaxy 2 has just worn me out on the franchise.

Beth Cyra

Well instead of making Mario Party 9 or whatever it would be they went with Wii Party. So maybe this is a early showing that they are going to scale back on the roles Mario will play in the future?

AniHawk

Dance In My Blood said:

It wouldn't be so bad if the Mario world branched out, but the repeat of NSMB DS, Galaxy, NSMB, Galaxy 2 has just worn me out on the franchise.

aside from the ds game, these all ranged from great to brilliant.

Personally I'm far more likely to buy some strange game I normally wouldn't care about like a tennis game or a racing game if it features mario. So from that angle I greatly appreciate the fact that Nintendo has whored out mario and given me a lot more genres to enjoy.

MisterHero

I remember him making this statement in the N64 days, when he used the term "Mega Game" that would inspire more "Mega Games" which in turn would inspire more "Mega Games". I think he means he probably wants to avoid genre saturation, though Mario isn't exactly a genre? :p

I think he means now, when the Mario brand is extraordinarily powerful.

All it takes is one really bad Mario game for people to lose faith in it and a lot of the people around now missed most of the games from NES to Wii.

-PXG-

What next? Miyamoto says to drink water at least once in a three day span? Don't look directly into the sun? :lol

As long as their isn't a "main-line" (New Super Mario Bros./ Mario Galaxy) game every year, then I won't complain. Sure, there are quite a few spin-offs, but at least for me, those games don't degrade or take away from platformers. Just don't turn Mario into the Call Duty (or other Activision) bullshit, Nintendo. I don't want to see his fat red ass every holiday.

Dance In My Blood said:

Actually, what I said was more of a joke... Oh well.

However, I find it interesting that you find the main Mario games repetitive and not the spin-off games, which many are most concerned about.

If Mario gives them added sales assurance and that lets them take risks on gameplay ideas, then I'm all for it. And that goes for all publishers.

Ultimately, who cares? Mario is in good game = buy game. Mario is in bad game = don't buy game.

-PXG- said:
As long as their isn't a "main-line" (New Super Mario Bros./ Mario Galaxy) game every year, then I won't complain. Sure, there are quite a few spin-offs, but at least for me, those games don't degrade or take away from platformers. Just don't turn Mario into the Call Duty (or other Activision) bullshit, Nintendo. I don't want to see his fat red ass every holiday.
To Nintendo's credit, it was more like that in the 80's...

Mario 1 in '85, 2 in '86, 3 in '88, and World in '90.

Also, Mario 2 US came out in '88 here and '92 in Japan.

Now, New SMB in '05, Galaxy in '07, New SMB Wii in '09 and Galaxy 2 in '10.

MisterHero

TeethMummy said:
I agree, they should be focusing more on the characters that deserve more screen time, namely Waluigi.
At last we will have the true Plumbing, Tennis-playing, evil twin epic that we've always wanted

I really do wonder what they could do with the character

Penguin

Seems like a thing they are doing, he has cut back on the number of appearances he makes dramatically this generation.

I know we just got Galaxy 2, like 2 weeks ago, but this is the first time in a long time, we had no information on any type of Mario game over the horizon, no platformer, no RPG, no kart, no sports, no team up with Sonic.

BowieZ

Banned
Indeed.

It sounds funny to think about, but yeah, we know about NO future Mario games.

We just know that there will be more, and that there will possibly be a Mario and Sonic at the London Olympic Games

Alex

Haven't there been less sports games with him lately? And Mario Party seems to be exchanged for a more broad format.

I like Mario, but the theme can get exhausting and bland even with it's fantastical nature when you see it every few months. I certainly would not complain if all we saw out of the franchise in the future were kart racers and platformers.

No "Wii Race" ever though, I really hate that Mii shit and even the small inclusion into MK Wii was goofy as hell.

MisterHero said:
At last we will have the true Plumbing, Tennis-playing, evil twin epic that we've always wanted

I really do wonder what they could do with the character
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/05/27/voice-of-mario-wants-a-waluigi-centric-game/

Going so far as to say that he'd "love to see a Waluigi game where you have to cheat to win, ya know. That would be funny." He continued, in Waluigi's voice, saying, "Waaa Everybody's cheating but me!"

godspeed martinet

godspeed

Boonoo

ShinobiFist said:
I always tell my friends that the whole concept of Mario Galaxy, was better suited for a new character.

Really? I felt that it a "Mario" game to its core. Really reminded me of 3. I could see 64 and Sunshine as being some other character. Even those, though, really have a Mario feel to them that say Banjo Kazooie doesn't.

Yeah, after the Gamecube generation there hasn't been a whole lot of Mario spin-offs lately. Still no Mario Party in sight especially with the announced Wii Party. I'd like a break on Mario Kart as well and move to a Nintendo Kart. They're sitting on a gold mine right now.

Beth Cyra

Aaron Strife said:
I don't think anyone would be against this.

I would, never liked the Yoshi games nor the character. I am still waiting for a Wario Land/World in the Vain of Mario Sunshine/Galaxy on Wii.

Joei

Penguin said:
Seems like a thing they are doing, he has cut back on the number of appearances he makes dramatically this generation.

I know we just got Galaxy 2, like 2 weeks ago, but this is the first time in a long time, we had no information on any type of Mario game over the horizon, no platformer, no RPG, no kart, no sports, no team up with Sonic.

I was thinking the same thing. Aside from Super Paper Mario, the other three mainline games have been extremely strong with SMG1 and 2 and NSMBW, and there don't seem to be that many "Mario ____" games this gen. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed with GC, there was a game starring Mario every few months and we only got 1 "regular game" and 1 RPG.

Joei said:
I was thinking the same thing. Aside from Super Paper Mario, the other three mainline games have been extremely strong with SMG1 and 2 and NSMBW, and there don't seem to be that many "Mario ____" games this gen. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed with GC, there was a game starring Mario every few months and we only got 1 "regular game" and 1 RPG.

There was Mario Kart and Mario Party 8. I don't count smash bros but some people would I guess.

Top Bottom