• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto confirms plans for Zelda 25th anniversary (gameblog.fr interview)

mehdi_san

I just finished reading this new Miyamoto's interview on gameblog.fr (link: http://www.gameblog.fr/interview_293_shigeru-miyamoto-notre-interview-integrale), and I found a few interesting tidbits:

* Already posted by Nirolak (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428019) is that Mario 3DS will be coming this year
* He's busy working on a new Zelda, a new Mario, a new Mario Kart on 3DS, and a new Pikmin
* There are new AR titles being prepared for the 3DS (no details on whether these are retail games or downloadable)
* They celebrated Mario's 25th anniversary last year, and they intend to do the same this year for Link. He says there will be many products/merchandising (not sure about the translation on this, is he talking about games or CD/books?)
* About the "project cafe" rumors, he said they are always working on new hardware. He also added "where there's smoke there's fire", but that "you shouldn't believe everything you read [on the internet]".
* Some boring stuff about smartphone gaming
* He's thinking about entrusting the younger teams with traditional characters such as Mario and Zelda, so he can get more time to work for himself

They will also post a video interview later today, I'll try to see if there's anything interesting in it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
From The Dust said:
$30 Rom dump *trollface*
Aaaand here we go.......

@Interview
Great to hear they are already workin on Zelda 3DS. Pikmin 300 will probably a Wii Hifi Launchgame,

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mama Robotnik said:
They've just warming up the ROM dumping machine now.

Don't see this happening. They could only package the first two NES games (as any others would require an additional controller), and one of them is shit. It will be something different to what we got with Mario.

-PXG-

From The Dust said:
$30 Rom dump *trollface*

Pretty much.

Why re-buy games I already own that are overpriced and what will inevitably be packaged in an ugly, tacky looking box?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
GregLombardi said:
I've never seen Miyamoto comment on a rumor so quickly before....
Maybe just right place right time. Rumor just popped up and I am bet the interview has been lined up for a while.

mehdi_san said:
* About the "project cafe" rumors, he said they are always working on new hardware. He also added "where there's smoke there's fire", but that "you shouldn't believe everything you read [on the internet]".

Shots fired.

-PXG-

From The Dust said:
The logo for the 25th aniversary is actually pretty good

Well, as long as it's not on the same level as this lol

1183292-4050625924_53f85dceae_b_large.jpg

At best, the box won't be anything special. I suppose if you're a hardcore collector or have kids who've never played the old games, it's a smart buy.

FlyingTeacup said:
if he's busy with 3ds games... no launch games of WiiWii???:?
Of course he can't talk about those yet.

A 25th aniversary game would be rather hard to do for Zelda. It could be a rom dump, but I doubt Nintendo will go that route again. They cant pull a Sonic Generations due to Zelda games not being broken up by levels. Maybe a side story for the 3DS?

From The Dust said:
Of course he can't talk about those yet.

A 25th aniversary game would be rather hard to do for Zelda. It could be a rom dump, but I doubt Nintendo will go that route again. They cant pull a Sonic Generations due to Zelda games not being broken up by levels. Maybe a side story for the 3DS?
I would personally love if they remade Zelda 1. Oh how awesome that would be.

Well, there was this logo for a while:
BJODT.jpg

I would be happy to buy any merchandise Nintendo throws out there for Zelda's 25th Anniversary.

And I know people go "lol rom dumps" but remember Zelda: Collector's edition? It was great back then (and also free... but it goes for a boat load of money online, so it's not like it never had any value).

I wouldn't mind of they did another Zelda: Collector's Edition. Especially if it includes art, soundtrack CD, and other stuff like that. It would be very nice to see something like that on the 3DS, though.

Why would you do that? said:
Well, there was this logo for a while:
http://i.imgur.com/BJODT.jpg

I would be happy to buy any merchandise Nintendo throws out there for Zelda's 25th Anniversary.

And I know people go "lol rom dumps" but remember Zelda: Collector's edition? It was great back then (and also free... but it goes for a boat load of money online, so it's not like it never had any value).

I wouldn't mind of they did another Zelda: Collector's Edition. Especially if it includes art, soundtrack CD, and other stuff like that. It would be very nice to see something like that on the 3DS, though.[/QUOTE]

Id prefer an exhaustive multi hundred page hardcover artbook and a full soundtrack of orchestrated Zelda songs, the one for Mario just wasnt that good and fulfilling versus a collection of games.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Legend of Zelda Pinball, that's what's needed. Mario got one, Pokemon got two, Metroid got Prime retold, time to celebrate all the different Hyrules, Koholint , and the like through glorious ball form.

Only half joking.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'd buy the BSX Zeldas with an "artbook" and CD for $30.

This. Let's get those BS Zelda titles fully translated into English, maybe even the CD-I games for hilarity.
How about interesting looks into stuff most people never played instead of re-re-re-re-re-ports this time.

Bunji

Neo Member
He's busy working on a new Zelda, a new Mario, a new Mario Kart on 3DS, and a new Pikmin

New Mario = Mario 3DS?
New Zelda = Skyward Sword?

Or do we think maybe these are completely different projects?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Bunji said:
New Mario = Mario 3DS?

I think the first 3 are all 3DS projects (Zelda,Mario and MK) - he didnt state a plattform for pikmin though. Thats what i would assume.

I want a 4 Swords Type of game for the 3DS.

I'd probably buy a Rom dump for Zelda, depending on what games they include, and if Majora's Mask runs a lot better than it did on the Collector's Edition.

Caramello

Bunji said:
New Mario = Mario 3DS?

From the translation it appeared he meant a new Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart all for 3Ds and also Pikmin (he didn't specify a platform which is incredibly interesting).

Hopefully Francais-GAF can help out with a proper translation soon.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I'd buy the BSX Zeldas with an "artbook" and CD for $30.
Oh, yes please.

You know, all the music for BS Zelda 1 wasn't ever officially released? The music in the game was from various sources, like this Zelda song from a very 80s Mario CD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-Mcv2m9OY
But there were some original pieces of music that weren't ever released...

However, the Music for BS Zelda 3 was released on a soundtrack CD called "Zelda: Sound and Drama" but it's pretty rare, I think.

Dedication Through Light said:
Id prefer an exhaustive multi hundred page hardcover artbook and a full soundtrack of orchestrated Zelda songs, the one for Mario just wasnt that good and fulfilling versus a collection of games.
Honestly, I feel like the Mario one was underwhelming because it was just one game (Mario All-Stars). If that game never existed, and instead, the NES versions were released in the collection, I'm sure it wouldn't have had as much of a negative reaction.

Bunji said:
New Mario = Mario 3DS?

Most likely yes, as he mentions a new Mario Kart for 3DS, which we've already known about for awhile.

the madman

Neo Member
The most interesting tidbit here, IMO, is his potential passing-off of his flagship franchises to younger teams. That could (and probably will) mean substantially different Zeldas and Marios in actual meaningful ways, right?

Ushojax said:
Don't see this happening. They could only package the first two NES games (as any others would require an additional controller), and one of them is shit. It will be something different to what we got with Mario.
First of all, both Zelda games on NES are awesome.

Second, I don't see why they couldn't just put roms of Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, A Link to the Past, OoT and Majora's Mask on a disc. If you don't have a classic controller or GC controller, and have no intention of buying either of them, then don't buy the collection.

the madman said:
The most interesting tidbit here, IMO, is his potential passing-off of his flagship franchises to younger teams. That could (and probably will) mean substantially different Zeldas and Marios in actual meaningful ways, right?
I don't think the games will be fundamentally different (like a rebirth)... More like different in a subtle way. Similar to the Capcom Zeldas.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
the madman said:

Miyamoto always rambles about that kind of stuff. The Galaxy team was an entire new team. The Zelda Skyward Swords team is pretty young and new as well. It really isn't anything devastatingly new I think.

mclem

the madman said:

Not if they value their teatables.

mehdi_san

Captain Chaos said:
Whats the boring smartphone stuff?
They asked him what he thinks about the recent success of smartphone gaming, and he said the usual stuff: they make hardware specifically for gaming, and they try to make games only possible on that hardware. Nothing really interesting, sorry if I didn't really take the time to translate in details.

TehOh

KenOD said:
Legend of Zelda Pinball, that's what's needed. Mario got one, Pokemon got two, Metroid got Prime retold, time to celebrate all the different Hyrules, Koholint , and the like through glorious ball form.

Only half joking.

My body is ready for 3D Zelda Pinball. Make it so, Nintendo.

I remember hearing at the Iwata keynote it being said Zelda's 25th would be something different. Given Miyamoto says merchendise (Master Sword danmit so Link Cosplays can reach new levels of laziness)...

Also they seem to be approaching this with a "we're planning" rather than "Oh Shit profits are down and we need to come with some new holdiay that lies just before Christmas. Super Marios 25th Birthday of reguritated SNES roms only not as obvious"...."Happy ROM day everbody"".

As for BS Zelda. The BS Fire Emblem maps appeared in the FE3 remake so it could happen. Of course the voice acting was missing (so as a result a bit of the script unless the bit were added in whent he characters fought enemies or bosses as additional dialogue) as was the music (thing is Nintendo seems to have some of the music in their vaults as the Fire Emblem microsite they have has a piece, I'm guessing rights issues*).

*-Well card space issues in the DS case too.

As for soundtracks. After Super Mario All-Stars "lol 20 minutes: worse than the free gift Nintendo Dream made 5 years ago" I'd rather they not bother with insulting us like that. That said I've been thinking for a while. Why is it Nintendo are holding back re-releasing thier old OSTs from the 90s on say, iTunes? Sleeping with the enemy much I guess. IIRC, the Mother 3 arranged soundtrack (Mother 3i, was the other one on there ever) actually vanished from iTunes for no apparent reason too...

linkboy

A rom dump for Zelda won't happen since you can get every game up to the 64 games on the VC (and Majora's Mask runs great on the VC)..

Super Mario All-Stars wasn't on the VC, but the NES games were.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to integrate Skyward Sword into this, especially if they feel like giving Wii software a bit of a booster. Not that I expect Skyward Sword to sell badly, but from a marketing perspective it certainly couldnt hurt to coincide a 25th Anniversary package with the Wii game's release.

robor

From The Dust said:
first person Metroid seemed wrong too but felt so right

Oh no, I'm not bothered by the idea of them making a Zelda but rather the idea that their next game is going to be a Zelda game. It seems that if the rumor of Retro developing a game "everyone has been wanting them to make for years" is true and materializes at this E3, it would clash with SS no?

It seems a little wrong to think they would.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
From The Dust said:
$30 Rom dump *trollface*

At least I didn't pay the $80 it hit before everyone realized there were plenty of copies pressed!

Top Bottom