• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: Didn't reveal the NX at E3 because fear competitors would copy it.

I didn't see a thread on this particular tidbit.

drbCE7B.jpg

Delete if old.

Oregano

So are they just playing chicken with the Neo?

MS will probably have time to implement it in Scorpio either way.

I'm pretty sure they say stuff like this every generation when asked this kind of question.

And Sony and MS have copied their "gimmicks" every time, so it's somewhat justified. Not that the copies have been terribly successful, but they for sure do devalue whatever Nintendo puts out.

Chicken

Banned
So why did they show off the Wii U at E3? Why the Wii? So when they finally do reveal the NX they competitors won't be able to copy it? This is just Miyamoto being Miyamoto. Dude needs to retire already. Or atleast have tape stuck to his mouth so he can't speak on anything outside of his own software.

And Sony and MS have copied their "gimmicks" every time, so it's somewhat justified. Not that the copies have been terribly successful, but they for sure do devalue whatever Nintendo puts out.

Did anyone try to copy the Wii U's gimmick? I know Nintendo was saying the same thing when asked why they weren't revealing it.

I doubt Sony and Microsoft will want to copy their new gimmick. It's going to fail just like the wii-u if they don't start using their brains and create something that can actually compete with them.

So why did they show off the Wii U at E3? Why the Wii? So when they finally do reveal the NX they competitors won't be able to copy it? This is just Miyamoto being Miyamoto. Dude needs to retire already. Or atleast have tape stuck to his mouth so he can't speak on anything outside of his own software.

They are learning from their mistakes. This time they don't want to be copied if they are successful. I think it shows how confident they are in the NX.

Pinky

Banned
Give us a reveal date, Nintendo! Let's speed this up, huh? Sony has Neo/PSVR and Microsoft has Scorpio on the horizon. I don't think you have anything to worry about. They're doing their own thing. Just show the damn thing already!

Did anyone try to copy the Wii U's gimmick? I know Nintendo was saying the same thing when asked why they weren't revealing it.

After the Wii U was revealed MS introduced Smartglass and Sony played up the Vita remote play functionality. It was quite obvious at the time.

Now, Nintendo should realize that (if their new "gimmick" is copyable, which this quote implies) Sony and MS will likely try to imitate this new "concept" whenever they decide to announce it, so I don't know why they are being so secretive this close to release (8-9 months). Unless they think Sony might add whatever it is to the Neo before it releases.

MS announced smart glass and Sony announced Vita remote play and second screen functionality the E3 after Wii U was revealed. Those were clearly inspired by Wii U.

No they weren't. Remote Play was a thing on PSP long before Wii U was even revealed.

You're totally right. I fixed my post.

So, yeah, two generations back to back where Sony/MS aped Nintendo's ideas.

Lair was playable via Remote Play on PSP back in 2007. How did Sony ape Nintendo's idea 5 years before they revealed it?

MS announced smart glass and Sony announced Vita remote play and second screen functionality the E3 after Wii U was revealed. Those were clearly inspired by Wii U.

You're totally right. I fixed my post.

So, yeah, two generations back to back where Sony/MS aped Nintendo's ideas.

I highly doubt they have something so revolutionary that it has not already been done in some capacity already.

Edit: Remote Play for Vita was a thing before Wii U was even announced. It was literally how they were pushing the system when it launched. Smart Glass was definitely some quick knockoff and once it became clear that no one cared they quickly dropped it.

Top Bottom