• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: games too same-y, industry has a long way to go

maxcriden

Following up on his E3 comments as seen below,

“This year, the majority of what the other developers exhibited was bloody shooter software that was mainly set in violent surroundings or, in a different sense, realistic and cool worlds,” Miyamoto said at the time. “Because so many software developers are competing in that category, it seemed like most of the titles at the show were of that kind.”

the following is from the big Edge interview (someone wanna send me a copy?!):

Oh, I’ve made quite the grand statement, haven’t I? My comment was based upon the fact that I have not been fully satisfied with the inspirations that I have or that other people in the industry have in general. I feel that industry tends, rather than the creator’s individuality and uniqueness, tend to be prioritized. When the people who manage the development budget take the lead in making a game, creators tend to make games that are already popular in the marketplace. Even when there is opportunity for young developers to make something freely, they tend to make similar proposals. I can’t help but feel that the industry has a long way to go. I hope Nintendo will always be a company that aggressively invests in something new – something born from each creator’s individual characteristics.

Sources:

http://nintendoeverything.com/miyam...o-wants-nintendo-to-always-pursue-new-things/

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/236903-...tent-hopes-nintendo-keeps-perusing-new-things

Agree, disagree, somewhere in between?

Prioritize new, original threads if old.

K-A-Deman

Reading his thoughts on bloody games, I agree they're taking a disturbing level of priority in comparison to other games.

Agreed. Old news, though, I'm talking about the observation on the larger industry trends and the lack of actual creative focus coming through in games and their designs instead of the machine that feeds us what we play on the bigger scale releases, anyway.

Silky

Banned
AAA? Yeah sure. Otherwise, that really isn't true.

Gonna read the article after classes. The clippets don't do anything for me, though.

Toemon

Banned
I was going to call him out quite severely, but he is an older man so people tend to go crazy with age.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I do agree with this. Look at how many companies tried and failed to chase the COD market, for example. And he doesn't hold himself exempt from this.

My comment was based upon the fact that I have not been fully satisfied with the inspirations that I have or that other people in the industry have in general.

While I deeply respect him:

pot-kettle-black.jpg

Not that I disagree but... that's rich coming from him and Nintendo.
I get the joke, but I wish more sequels followed the Zelda model of extremely unique entries despite many commonalities.

Really though, looking at stuff like most of the "New" Mario games makes this a bit...

Kouriozan

Likewise, Ubisoft games feel too similar.
I was bored of shooter last gen, apparently the trend is nowhere to die, sadly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
How many new super mario bros. games do we have now?

Not that I disagree but... that's rich coming from him and Nintendo.

Are.. you accusing Nintendo of following the crowd, and releasing games just because they are what's popular in the marketplace? Because that's what he criticized here. Are you actually reading the quote?

He's not wrong, but with skyrocketing costs, it's honestly a necessary evil in a lot of companies.

Heck, it's no surprise everyone does it, even with Nintendo, you know the best sellers are going to be the same bets of Super Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pokemon and Animal crossing

Brb gonna play Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Super Smash whatever on my WII U

He is saying something rather obvious and kinda funny when you look at the games he is involved with. Also, he is completely ignoring the indie scene (as usual).

Well, Nintendo does make very similar games over and over... but they aren't trying to duplicate others success themselves.

Is it a good thing that no company is trying to duplicate Minecraft? No big publisher I mean.

Because all Mario games are the same ./s

ANd I don't think you guys really get the complaint. It isn't that it's wrong to make sequels and stuff, it's that even when new developers make new ips, they tend to be very generic and in line with market trends. In this regard, Nintendo definitely is different. Splatoon seems like a very unique take on its genre for example. Having Mario in a game does not make it's gameplay generic in any way whatsoever, because that's just the setting

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

What does this have to do with making games similar to other games in the industry? What does a single company's series of sequels have ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING he's talking about?

Which are the other companies you are accusing Nintendo of emulating with their four Mario games?

I would say that Nintendo mixes innovation with some sameness. The games that people buy the most are the slightly different sequels (mario kart, platform mario). Nintendo does a lot of other stuff as well but isn't on the radar of most "hardcore gamers".

Agreed.. I'm bored with a lot of heavy hitters in this INDUSTRY because they all follow the exact same formula year after year.

I do think we might see some changes here in the game industry as gamers grow tired of the latest games... Indies and Sunset overdrive kind of prides itself on being different and reinventing the game type and I think we'll see the whole game industry move towards that.

fedexpeon

Banned
Been like this for a few decades now. AAA games usually involve guns/blood/gore/violence.
CoD has increased the trend in recent years.

daydream

Banned
Wanted to come in and say that this shouldn't turn into "Tuo quoque - The Thread" but I see I'm already way too late.

Gleethor

I know that people are rushing to their keyboards to all type the same "but Nintendo makes the same games!" comment, but really think about this for a minute. Miyamoto is saying that many, many AAA are making very similar games, which I think we can all agree is at least a little true. Its also true that sometimes Nintendo's games are similar, but how many other non-inde publishers are making games similar to Nintendo's?

JoeM86

How many new super mario bros. games do we have now?

Four. Across four platforms and 6 years.

Edit: Oh I was beaten to it

mario, zelda, mario kart, mario party, mario, zelda, metroid, mario kart

yep. It's not like nintendo relies on their classic ips or so.

Read what he's saying. Also, their games in their franchises are almost all different to their predecessor. Come on.

Poudini

Banned
I think the mainline mario games are also too same-y. Apart from that, I agree with him, I have lost interest in any FPS, as good as it may be.
I just feel once I played one I played them all. Borderlands 2 was the last one I actually played for more than 5h (way way way more) but I guess some people wouldn't even call it a FPS.

He says this after releasing the pseudo-DLC packs of NSMB after the DS version and doing the tired Mario/Zelda formula for their console.

Schnozberry

I see nobody actually read far enough to see that he included himself in his criticism of the overall vision of the gaming industry.

Are.. you accusing Nintendo of following the crowd, and releasing games just because they are what's popular in the marketplace? Because that's what he criticized here. Are you actually reading the quote?

Nope, gotta post those snarky oneliners asap !

Arion

The blame is equally on the customers and the developers. People buy the stuff they recognize and feel comfortable with and thats why devs make the same kind of games. But there is some creativity here and there and thats better than nothing.

a picture

I'm not going to debate the NSMB series' tendency to feel samey, though from someone who has played them all they have all delivered distinct platforming experiences regarding gameplay and level design.

However, those who insist that Shiggy is a pot calling the kettle black are missing the point. His point is that new IPs feel too derivative, not that there's too many sequels which is an entirely different issue, one that even Miyamoto acknowledges as a problem Nintendo contributes to.

I seriously hope someone else notices this.

Top Bottom