• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Miyamoto press conference in Paris (Mario 3D, a ghost game?, 3DS as a controller?)

Namomura

Member
Dec 4, 2004
681
0
0
Translated with Google.

Latest Miyamoto news in this thread!

http://www.gamekyo.com/newsfr40751_shigeru-miyamoto-conference-de-presse-a-paris-l-integralite-en-video.html



Shigeru Miyamoto held a press conference in a Paris this week to speak about the Nintendo 3DS and some future games. The entire conference (Japanese / French) is available in audio recording below.

http://vimeo.com/22754902

-> The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D development is finished. Nintendo is now checking the translations of the game. The game will be available shortly after E3 2011.
-> The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D is an improved version. The game now runs at 30 frames per second on 3DS, instead of 20 frames per second for the original version.
-> The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D includes a special mode in which you can fight all the bosses of the game.
-> Master Quest mode lets you play in mirror mode (reverse all the backgrounds, enemies appear and move in different ways, etc.).

-> Starfox 64 3D development is finished. This time, the game will have the same name in all countries.

-> Super Mario 3D is still under intensive development.
-> Mario Kart 3D will be released this year.
-> Super Mario 3D will be a combination of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.
-> Super Mario 3D will be fully unveiled at E3 2011.
-> The logo of Super Mario 3D has a raccoon tail.
-> Super Mario 3D will include a fixed camera system, slightly like the one you saw in Super Mario 64, in which the camera does not move and Mario walks around on the screen. This time you will really feel the depth. Shigeru Miyamoto explains that this method brings dynamism to the staging of the game. This game mechanic certainly will impress and entertain the players says Miyamoto.

-> Nintendo is currently experimenting several entirely new 3D concepts, Miyamoto is testing a game in which the player must discover which object is being displayed by moving it in different ways, in order to see the different facets. An object that looked like something could prove to be completely different afterall, the goal for Miyamoto is to use 3D to make the players feel surprised.

-> Nintendo is also testing a game in which an image is only visible to the left eye, and another image is only visible to the right eye. Miyamoto would for instance use this original concept for a Ghost game in which the player would not necessarily see what is coming in front of him! Miyamoto says he loves Ghost stories!

-> Nintendo is currently thinking about a possible connectivity between the Nintendo 3DS and a future home console, the Nintendo 3DS could be used as a controller. Nintendo is still testing many ideas.

UPDATE, MORE DETAILS THANKS TO HOLY ORDER SOL AND Smiles and Cries

-> Miyamoto reiterates the point about how using the touchscreen in OoT3DS helps with the Water Temple. Mentions to specifically watch the cutscenes in 3D. 30fps made it necessary to rework the animations. You can aim the bow/slingshot by moving the system. Miyamoto recommends to do this when no one's around to see you, lol.

-> Starfox 64 3D : Motion controls in StarFox, too. You can select the aiming mode in the options (as in, shooting directly at your target or taking into account your beam's movement and that of your target).

-> Miyamoto says "Tanuki", but the guy translates as the French word for "raccoon", which is probably not inaccurate but doesn't help in that particular context.

-> what he really said "To give you an idea of Super Mario 3D, imagine a mixture of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy with a little bit of New Super Mario Bros"

-> Someone asked about the lack of dual analog on the 3DS. Miyamoto says that a second stick had been considered but they decided against it because it's common to use just a finger to play. Adds that proper implementation of gyro controls should be better than a second stick for the purpose of controlling a camera.



 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,549
0
0
DECK'ARD said:
3DS as a controller kills all the Wii 2 rumours stone dead.

Uh, in what way?
Many suggested that this would indeed be possible, especially after the rumors of the screen on the controller.
 

careksims

Member
May 14, 2006
4,387
0
980
Loving what I read about Mario 3DS. That's going to be GOOOOD! Great to know Zelda and Star Fox are finished.
 

SlipperySlope

Banned
Mar 11, 2009
6,500
0
0
About a 3DS as a controller... that seems oddly like the rumored controller for the Wii 2. Different screen size, but other than that, it seems to match up.
 

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sep 12, 2010
37,302
0
0
29
Canada
SlipperySlope said:
About a 3DS as a controller... that seems oddly like the rumored controller for the Wii. Different screen size, but other than that, it seems to match up.
Not the primary controller, at least.

I'm not paying 250$ for a controller.
 

nincompoop

Banned
Jul 23, 2006
9,170
0
0
-> Super Mario 3D will be a combination of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.
So it's a combination of 3 entirely different types of games? That doesn't really make much sense.
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,372
3
0
46
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
AceBandage said:
Uh, in what way?
Many suggested that this would indeed be possible, especially after the rumors of the screen on the controller.
As in the complete level of redundancy of building a new controller to mimic a handheld, when you already have a handheld that could serve that purpose.

If they are looking into the obvious connectivity possibilities of using a 3DS, chances are the controller is nothing like the rumours suggest.

The blurring of handheld and console with none of the strengths of either already sounded daft, this extra bit of info just makes it sound even less likely.
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
5
1,575
DECK'ARD said:
3DS as a controller kills all the Wii 2 rumours stone dead.
There's what looks like an IR receiver beside the left shoulder button on the 3DS. Does anyone know what that's for. I figured it could be a way of syncing with a console.
 

SlipperySlope

Banned
Mar 11, 2009
6,500
0
0
BY2K said:
Not the primary controller, at least.

I'm not paying 250$ for a controller.
If the Wii 2 is $400 and includes a 3DS as the controller, can you see where this would take us?

Away from home? Use the 3DS. At home? Use the 3DS as the controller.

And then Nintendo can also include a wand-like Wii Remote for motion control games.

This easily explains the price of the new system. All of the other rumors didn't indicate to me a system that should cost $400.

Or maybe the default controller will be like a "dumb" 3DS. Where you can use the 3DS or the dumb controller. The dumb controller won't play any 3DS games, won't be 3D, or have the card slot, allowing for a cheaper price.
 

Busaiku

Member
Apr 5, 2006
46,932
1
0
Namomura said:
-> The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time 3D is an improved version. The game now runs at 30 frames per second on 3DS, instead of 20 frames per second for the original version.
They really couldn't aim for 60?
Geez.
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,372
3
0
46
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
wsippel said:
I don't see how one rumor could kill another.
This isn't a rumour, it's Miyamoto stating what they are doing.

And if your new controller was the bastard son of a handheld, you wouldn't be looking into what the 3DS could do in that regard. Nintendo ideally want you to own both remember.

All the Wii 2 controller rumours have many logical failings, I'm honestly expecting none of the recent rumours to turn out to be true.
 

nincompoop

Banned
Jul 23, 2006
9,170
0
0
AceBandage said:
SMG had 2D platforming segments as well.
I assume the quote would mean that they somehow made it resemble all three distinct styles of gameplay at the same time, not in separate sections. SMG2 also had a few Mario 64 style wide open levels, like the beach level with the Piantas, but Nintendo never referred to it as a cross between SMG/NSMB/Mario 64.

Busaiku said:
They really couldn't aim for 60?
Geez.
Seriously, a game with OoT3DS's visuals running at 30 fps on the 3DS is really pathetic. Guess I'll have to replay Star Fox Adventures for my 60fps Zelda fix.
 

Cranzor

Junior Member
Jan 20, 2011
1,763
0
0
I immediately thought Luigi's Mansion when I heard the ghost concept. Come on, Miyamoto!
 

GJS

Member
Mar 5, 2011
1,814
0
0
SlipperySlope said:
If the Wii 2 is $400 and includes a 3DS as the controller, can you see where this would take us?

Away from home? Use the 3DS. At home? Use the 3DS as the controller.

And then Nintendo can also include a wand-like Wii Remote for motion control games.

This easily explains the price of the new system. All of the other rumors didn't indicate to me a system that should cost $400.

Or maybe the default controller will be like a "dumb" 3DS. Where you can use the 3DS or the dumb controller. The dumb controller won't play any 3DS games, won't be 3D, or have the card slot, allowing for a cheaper price.
The sources have all said 6inch screen right, so it would just be a good size touchscreen monitor on a proper controller.

The 3DS doesn't match up to that and can not offer the same options with it's 3.1inch screen and single circle pad.
 

Starwolf_UK

Member
Dec 5, 2008
17,023
0
0
twitter.com
The original OOT ran at 20 FPS? It feels more like 12-15 at times :(

Namomura said:
-> Master Quest mode lets you play in mirror mode (reverse all the backgrounds, enemies appear and move in different ways, etc.).
Right handed Link lives on?
 

Krowley

Member
Oct 7, 2004
6,930
0
0
DECK'ARD said:
As in the complete level of redundancy of building a new controller to mimic a handheld, when you already have a handheld that could serve that purpose.

If they are looking into the obvious connectivity possibilities of using a 3DS, chances are the controller is nothing like the rumours suggest.

The blurring of handheld and console with none of the strengths of either already sounded daft, this extra bit of info just makes it sound even less likely.
Totally disagree...

This fits perfectly. If the controller has a screen on it, and the user already has a 3ds, he could use it as a secondary controller for certain functions, like coop multiplayer stuff.

Considering that the controllers are probably really expensive, it would be a nice extra feature for nintendo fans
 

1-D_FTW

Member
Jun 14, 2006
17,069
0
0
DECK'ARD said:
3DS as a controller kills all the Wii 2 rumours stone dead.
How? Local multi-player would be a lot more realistic if you didn't have to buy 4 expensive controller to play Mario Kart. This way everyone would just have to have their already expensive 3DS to control it.
 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,549
0
0
nincompoop said:
I assume the quote would mean that they somehow made it resemble all three distinct styles of gameplay at the same time, not in separate sections. SMG2 also had a few Mario 64 style wide open levels, like the beach level with the Piantas, but Nintendo never referred to it as a cross between SMG/NSMB/Mario 64.

Maybe Super Mario 3DS will have 4 player Coop?
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,372
3
0
46
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
MadOdorMachine said:
There's what looks like an IR receiver beside the left shoulder button on the 3DS. Does anyone know what that's for. I figured it could be a way of syncing with a console.
It's an odd thing to be there, out-dated technology and it's all done better by bluetooth.

Hell it might just be there to offer a nice touch-based Universal Remote app on the Estore, hard to say what other benefits it has.
 

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Jun 14, 2004
5,268
5
1,575
DECK'ARD said:
This isn't a rumour, it's Miyamoto stating what they are doing.

And if your new controller was the bastard son of a handheld, you wouldn't be looking into what the 3DS could do in that regard. Nintendo ideally want you to own both remember.

All the Wii 2 controller rumours have many logical failings, I'm honestly expecting none of the recent rumours to turn out to be true.
What size are the two screens and do they add up to six inches? The only thing is the 3DS doesn't have two analog sticks.
 

A.KU.MU

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
936
0
0
Namomura said:
-> Mario Kart 3D will be released this year.
-> Super Mario 3D will be a combination of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros.
-> Super Mario 3D will be fully unveiled at E3 2011.
Body. Ready. E3. Here. I. Come.
 

SlipperySlope

Banned
Mar 11, 2009
6,500
0
0
GJS said:
The sources have all said 6inch screen right, so it would just be a good size touchscreen monitor on a proper controller.

The 3DS doesn't match up to that and can not offer the same options with it's 3.1inch screen and single circle pad.
Yeah, the dual analog is the only thing that throws my theory off.
 

SlipperySlope

Banned
Mar 11, 2009
6,500
0
0
BY2K said:
And that the 3DS has two screen, not one.
That's not an issue. One screen wouldn't be used. The dumb controller also wouldn't need to have a graphics card, or advanced processing capabilities since the console would control what gets displayed on the screen.

The only cog is still that dual analog.
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,372
3
0
46
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
1-D_FTW said:
How? Local multi-player would be a lot more realistic if you didn't have to buy 4 expensive controller to play Mario Kart. This way everyone would just have to have their already expensive 3DS to control it.
You don't make all your controllers more expensive, fragile and with poor battery life, just for the benefits of not looking at a TV screen in the games that have splitscreen. You are diminishing the console experience by turning it into a handheld one, not making it more compelling.

They also wouldn't play as well due to lag, it's a technological headache to implement, and it's a completely nonsensical use of an HD console to waste it's power rendering for multiple small displays rather that focusing it's attention on making the best picture for the TV.

All the cafe rumours make zero-sense at all when you actually think about them.
 

Namomura

Member
Dec 4, 2004
681
0
0
The recording has a lot of other details, if someone understand Japanese or French, please do not hesitate to post here.
 

CoffeeJanitor

Member
Jul 13, 2010
13,924
1
0
Damn French having a different language than American. How am I supposed to understand this?

Miyamoto said:
-> Nintendo is currently experimenting several entirely new 3D concepts, Miyamoto is testing a game in which the player must discover which object is being displayed by moving it in different ways, in order to see the different facets. An object that looked like something could prove to be completely different afterall, the goal for Miyamoto is to use 3D to make the players feel surprised.
Picross sequel confirmed?
 

AceBandage

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
35,549
0
0
CoffeeJanitor said:
Damn French having a different language than American. How am I supposed to understand this?

Repeat after me: Bonjuuuuuur, ye cheese eating surrender monkeys!
 

NEO0MJ

Member
Aug 8, 2010
26,423
0
0
Starwolf_UK said:
Right handed Link lives on?


I hate that guy.

Busaiku said:
Don't you mean left-handed!
He's lefty in the main quest, but currently no pics of MQ mode. Wish someone asked him if it was open from the start or if we have to unlock it.