• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Mario, Zelda creator Shigeru Miyamoto says mystery project has been "keeping me pretty busy."

Famed game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario and Zelda, has teased a "new franchise" for 2014.

"We'll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we'll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it's about time we brought out a new franchise," Miyamoto said in the latest issue of Famitsu (as translated by Polygon). "I can't give out details, but that's the title that's been keeping me pretty busy lately."

A new and original game from Miyamoto was first revealed in January 2012, when the Associated Press reported that the designer was at work on an "undisclosed original title."

Miyamoto's most recently released title was March's Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for the 3DS. He is currently working on Wii U game Pikmin 3, due to launch August 4.

The designer turns 61 this year, and said in March that it would be "strange" not to be thinking about retirement, though he has no immediate plans to step down from his post.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-teases-new-franchise-for-2014-6411236

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
He has been teasing this game for like 3 years :(

Anyways, if I had to guess, I would say something taking advantage of NFC.

Expectation: Epic Action Adventure with cool characters

Reality: Whimsical cute looking game that won't fit into any category and will probably bring out the "lol Nintendo casual kiddy" crowd.

I for one can't wait to see what he's been up to.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Essentially the "has Miyamoto lost it?" decider here. Better be an absolute fucking cracker of a title.

kmax

They're finally making changes. The Wii U needs all the help it can get atm, so it's an excellent opportunity for Nintendo that Miyamoto's doing something new. With very thin third party support, they need those first party titles to be system sellers.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
His last "new franchise" was Wii Music right? Let's hope it's less of that and more of a new awesome IP that Nintendo has been needing.

I'm probably more excited for something in the line of some clever, disruptive game like Wii Fit than a more traditional character driven genre piece. Maybe that makes me a bad person :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Probably worth remembering Miyamoto does not consider "new franchise" to equate to "new characters".

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
New mario game

"Bu bu bu but....the new power up is a new IP"

:lol

Its bizarre how this interview just sort of... invalidates all the E3 ones he gave. Especially the "about time" bit. Just couldn't admit some gaijin rabblerousers were spot on with their criticisms of Nintendo's E3 showing but more comfortable with a japanese interview?
Probably worth remembering Miyamoto does not consider "new franchise" to equate to "new characters".
Or that. Ugh.

I wonder what's his current favorite hobby.

XNRR08v.jpg

Nordic walking maybe?

Top Bottom