• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: The 'PS Vita Isn't A Very Strong Product'

pramath

Banned
Did a search, found nothing, lock if old.

Anyway, Miyamoto called the first direct shots at the Vita in an interview with EDGE.

Miyamoto said:
"It's obviously a very hi-spec machine and you can do lots of things with it, but I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product," said Miyamoto. "But I can't really say"

He concluded: "I'm not looking at Vita as happy that it's not selling well, or scared that it would sell well - I'm not looking at Vita that way."

To be fair, he identified the same issues with the 3DS launch:
Miyamoto said:
When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

ORIGINAL LINK

It's the same problem he is identifying that everybody on this board has been calling the Vita out for for months now- it doesn't matter how hi specced your hardware is, a game machine is defined by its games, and Vita, for now at least, lacks any defining games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I feel the same way about my 3DS. Only it's not even a high spec machine. Still his opinion is reasonable, don't see the big deal.

Hard to argue with it, but I also applied his logic to my 3DS right before I traded it in. Not all that impressed with my Vita either, but it has Lumines, so I'm keeping it.

gogojira

He also called a direct shot on the 3DS, comparing its launch issues to the Vita. It's not quite the blow people are pretending it is. In fact, he's merely stating a fact.

Vita is "console - lite" portable gaming which is effectively dead.

Nintendo owns the only relevant dedicated portable gameplayer software formula now.

BurntPork

Banned
Is this the week of titles with badly paraphrased quotes or something?

In before, "Well what does that make 3DS then!?"

wrowa

To be fair, he admitted in the same interview that the 3DS had the same problems in terms of software in the beginning.

Edge said:
"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

Trevelyan

Banned
Didn't the psp have this identical problem 6 years ago?

Didn't the 3DS have this identical problem 1 year ago? I somewhat agree, but the at this point I'm happier with the Vita then I ever was with my 3DS at this time last time. I love them both, though, and am quite excited to see what the future holds

Valnen

The same thing was true for the 3DS when it first came out, short of the powerful hardware that is. It'll get better.

07-minister.jpg

stuminus3

I like how the bullshit blog post in the OP completely ignores the rest of the interview, where he talks about the 3DS having teething troubles for exactly the same reason.

The actual Edge interview said:
3DS, however, has been Japan's best-selling hardware every single week since last August's price cut - and Miyamoto admits it was a lack of software that held back Nintendo's glasses-free 3D handheld.

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

In other words, Vita, like 3DS, needs games, and there are few owners of Sony's new handheld who would disagree with that sentiment. Despite a wide range of launch software, Vita releases since have been thin on the ground; the next big release for the system is Gravity Rush, due in the west in June.

Fucking internet, full of cunts. Stupid sensationalist click hungry cock bags.

Teknoman

Didn't the psp have this identical problem 6 years ago?
Pretty much, unfortunately. 3DS actually had this problem until they started to roll out games that were original or werent ports of recent games.
I seriously hope both companies learn from this, when launching their new home consoles.

I feel the same way about my 3DS. Only it's not even a high spec machine. Still his opinion is reasonable, don't see the big deal.
That's you, but it's not most 3DS owners. Personally, I can't even keep my hands off it for a day because of the two games I own that are so fun on it.

Salvadora

Hard to argue with it, but I also applied his logic to my 3DS right before I traded it in. Not all that impressed with my Vita either, but it has Lumines, so I'm keeping it.

We knew big games were coming for the 3DS, We don't for the Vita. That's a big difference.

yep, for it to succeed commercially, Vita does need :

a) Identity

b) system seller exclusives

:(

I will still get one obviously but that's not enough for the masses to embrace it

you really should quote this before this thread goes out in flames.

sphinx

the piano man
pretty ballsy from him to talk about Vita or pre-price drop 3DS, both are rather sad, pathetic cases.

Degen

I like how the bullshit blog post in the OP completely ignores the rest of the interview, where he talks about the 3DS having teething troubles for exactly the same reason.

Fucking internet, full of cunts.
tell us how you really feel

Just link directly to the EDGE interview for further context: http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-vita-needs-games

Thank you!

Seems like Bloggers like starting wars

Miyamoto admitted in the same interview that the 3ds was lacking at launch as well...

The 3DS had its software struggles as well, which leads Miyamoto to admit that software support wasn't strong right out of the gate.

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising. We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time. We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

EDIT: beaten by stuminus3

Partition

Banned
I find a reason to flame him for making the same games over and over again. The Vita doesn't have a strong identity though, he's right.

Oh please, no one whines about a new COD every year or so. At least Nintendo tries to do new things with their franchises, even if that means revolving them around a gimmick. Though Pokemon literally is probably the same game it was back in 1999.

Anyway, Miyamoto called the first direct shots at the Vita in an interview with EDGE.

SOURCE

It's the same problem he is identifying that everybody on this board has been calling the Vita out for for months now- it doesn't matter how hi specced your hardware is, a game machine is defined by its games, and Vita, for now at least, lacks any defining games.

Instead of using that garbage flamebait article which doesn't even direct link to source, you could use this:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/miyamoto-vita-needs-games

Where he talks about how the 3ds had the same problems

Medalion

Banned

SOURCE

Shots fucking fired.

DR2K

Banned
The same thing was true for the 3DS when it first came out, short of the powerful hardware that is. It'll get better.

It did, with Nintendo games we knew were coming. Sony just doesn't have a strong enough first party to back it up.

Well, I'm loving my Vita and not getting much out of my 3DS at the moment. They're both great pieces of hardware that struggled out of the gate. I'm glad the original article addresses that. Miyamoto stresses some important points. I think the Vita needs to re-position itself with a $199 price point and maybe hit a few new notes on the ad campaign. It's a fun system that brings the console experience to life in your hands. Stress that. The ads right now are really uninspired.

Vita doom and gloomers on NeoGAF are a joke. Just like the 3DS ones were a year ago.

No one is denying the Vita's struggles but I get the impression some people want it to fail, just cause, and will find every quote to prove that it will.

muu

Bloggers omitting parts of a source article to make them look more inflammatory and generate more hits? I'm shocked!

Top Bottom