• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto throwing shade at casual gamers

Nibel

Measure tables if old

miyamotoszpo8.png

Finally.

"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."

Miyamoto's comments mark the first time a Nintendo executive, and a longstanding member on its board of directors, has publicly outlined intentions to shift away from casual customers.

In an age where Apple and Android smartphones have become the leading games platforms for the casual audience, Miyamoto says Nintendo no longer needs to reach out to those customers.

"In the days of DS and Wii, Nintendo tried its best to expand the gaming population," he said.

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives."

Update: For those that can't imagine that videogame-fairy Miyamoto used the word 'pathetic'

Source is credible videogame website CVG, but these are just bits from the big Nintendo feature in the new print issue of the EDGE magazine.

I always wanted to use 'throwing shade' after witnessing in the OT for the first time

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Respect for Miyamoto just shot through the roof. Good to see someone so important say it ain't worth chasing the casual crowd anymore.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Pathetic is a very strong word, I wonder if there was a mishap in the translation phase.

That gave me a burst of love for Miyamoto. I am glad he is coming around to understand what Nintendo has to offer vs. other companies.

L~A

About the first quote: alas, I see plenty of "core" gamers that are just like that. They'd enjoy some great games, but prefer to stay in their nice lil' bubble. They prefer to keep playing the same games without trying anything new or even slightly different. They have an extremely passive attitude toward games, not making any efforts at all.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if this is true maybe future Mario games will be a bit more challenging and I will keep them for longer than a few weeks!

Wow.

You'd think after three years of disappointing sales, Miyamoto would have a less dismissive attitude toward making products that are relevant to consumers' lives.

I sense a lot of annoyance that consumers didn't support them when they ditched all the stuff that helped them reach those consumers in the first place.

You are the entertainer. It is your job to entertain people. It is not their job to be entertained by whatever happens to entertain you.

gdt

Holy shit. Thats a huuuuuuuuuuuuge turn around from the Wii days. Guess they realized that that audience ain't shit.

Alx

In the first quote it sounds like his definition of "casual gamers" includes gamers looking for a story-driven and "immersive" experience. Like people who play a game for the story/settings more than the gameplay itself.

NYCrooner

Okay, I totally on board with this way of thinking but if they really want to attract gamers, they need to smooth over relationships with third parties.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In an age where Apple and Android smartphones have become the leading games platforms for the casual audience, Miyamoto says Nintendo no longer needs to reach out to those customers.

If they could they still would. They were still going for that market with the Wii U and the way the were trying to sell it. They lost that market. Took them a while to realize it.

When he's right, he's right. I've always admired him as a designer, and respect his ability to say, "Let's introduce a simple concept to a new player." Now it's even better to hear, "Now let's turn the new player into an advanced player."

Of course he says that now when they aren't making billions off them. Let's not forget that Nintendo release Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Wii Party all on the Wii U and they flopped horrendously. Also, the word pathetic is probably a mistranslation.

meppi

Love what I'm seeing.

This gives me hope for the future. Something that has been lacking a bit for me when it comes to Nintendo the past 2 years.

Wildean

Music to my ears! Doesn't quite sit with the idea of QOL and the 'fit population', but really interesting comments.

Errrrr....

Then... they have no audience anymore?

I was always sort of under the impression that there are people among the "hardcore" audience who would still be willing to buy Nintendo consoles if they were more like the PS4/One. Or atleast that's how I feel.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
3D Mario World ain't no cake walk ;_;

I actually got everything in that game in 2 days. I still have it but I'm considering trading it in to go towards Bayonetta 2 since I don't see myself replaying it.
On the flip side I love replaying SMB3 every couple of months because the level on control and everything lines up with me pretty well.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wow at Miyamoto. But let's not forget Nintendo is devoting a good pitch at QoL and non-gamers. Although, I think it's more like let's make interesting apps and entertainment rather than shallow easy entry games.

If they could they still would. They were still going for that market with the Wii U and the way the were trying to sell it. They lost that market. Took them a while to realize it.

??? The Wii U was marketed as a 'hardcore' system from the start.

Wait, isn't this a megaton? End of "Wii Fit Party Sports U?" It seemed like they have been targeting core gamers more with 3DS and Wii U games, but I didn't think anyone would explicitly say they don't care about casuals any more.

Also, how does this fit into their QoL plans?

Top Bottom