• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto wants the next 3D Mario game to ‘further expand’ the series

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking during a Q&A following the publication of its latest financial results last week, Miyamoto said that the success of Super Mario Odyssey had made it clear that the company was succeeding in its attempt to make 3D Mario games playable by a larger audience.

When asked about the differences between 2D and 3D Mario games, Miyamoto explained that the New Super Mario Bros series was designed to create a Mario game that was accessible to players of all skill levels, because the 3D games weren’t at the time.

“Let me explain by describing the background for the development of the Wii game New Super Mario Bros Wii, which was released in 2009,” Miyamoto said.

“At the time, it felt like each time we created a new instalment in the Super Mario series – which by then had expanded into 3D – it became more complicated.

“After the release of Super Mario Galaxy in 2007, the goal was to develop a more accessible 3D Super Mario game, and the result was New Super Mario Bros Wii, a basic side-scrolling Super Mario game that even new players could easily play. That later led to the release of the even simpler Super Mario Run game (a mobile application released in 2016.)

“When we develop software, we strive to incorporate new elements, but at the same time we want to make it easy for even first-time players to have fun.

“Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017), so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways.”

Banned
Well thats basically the best news of 2021 for me. The next 3D Mario is finally going to push 3D platforming forward instead of being afraid of alienating casual gamers. First time since Mario Sunshine.

Mario Sunshine was the most basic ass 3D platformer ever, and the worst 3D mario by far due to sluggish controls, terrible camera and awful leveldesign

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Mario Sunshine was the most basic ass 3D platformer ever, and the worst 3D mario by far due to sluggish controls, terrible camera and awful leveldesign
Completely wrong. I just replayed Sunshine for the first time in nearly 20 years and its still an all time Nintendo classic.
The only 3d platformer better than Sunshine is Mario 64 - theres nothing even remotely close.

Id put Sunshine's surprisingly hardcore no-waterpack levels alone up to any 3d platformer. The windmill level, the Harbor, the sandy beach, and amusement park are all incredible.
I will admit there are some shockingly shitty mid to later levels - that drag it down a bit.

New core Mario games used to be huge events in gaming - but it hasnt been that way in a long time. This Miyamoto comment is great news.
Mario used to be the guiding light of gaming as a whole - if they focus on innovation and hopefully some challenge, maybe it can return one day...

Doom85

Completely wrong. I just replayed Sunshine for the first time in nearly 20 years and its still an all time Nintendo classic.
The only 3d platformer better than Sunshine is Mario 64 - theres nothing even remotely close.

Id put Sunshine's surprisingly hardcore no-waterpack levels alone up to any 3d platformer. The windmill level, the Harbor, the sandy beach, and amusement park are all incredible.
I will admit there are some shockingly shitty mid to later levels - that drag it down a bit.

New core Mario games used to be huge events in gaming - but it hasnt been that way in a long time. This Miyamoto comment is great news.
Mario used to be the guiding light of gaming as a whole - if they focus on innovation and hopefully some challenge, maybe it can return one day...

Cool, but understand it’s not for everyone. I just didn’t care for the water pack mechanics, and I much prefer a wide variety in environments which were far more varied in 64, Galaxy, and Odyssey whereas Sunshine stuck mostly to its summer-style settings.

Also innovation doesn’t automatically mean it works for everyone. Star Fox Zero was more “innovative” than Mario Odyssey, but Odyssey put a huge smile on my face while Star Fox Zero put a middle finger right up to my face.

Nor do I care how widespread the appeal is. Mario 3D World didn’t set the world on fire? My friends and I didn’t give a shit, we played all of it together and had a blast and no one can take that away from us.

Well thats basically the best news of 2021 for me. The next 3D Mario is finally going to push 3D platforming forward instead of being afraid of alienating casual gamers. First time since Mario Sunshine.

I hope this is what he's saying? But someone could read the opposite, like he wants to expand 3D mario to be even more casual. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I disliked Odyssey because it was WAYYY too casual with fairly ho hum design, so if it's going more hardcore in terms of complexity and design the better

kungfuian

My guess is we end up with an expanded version of the open world design of bowser's fury mixed with the co-op of 3d world. Maybe even world creation stuff al la Minecraft.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I hope this is what he's saying? But someone could read the opposite, like he wants to expand 3D mario to be even more casual. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I disliked Odyssey because it was WAYYY too casual with fairly ho hum design, so if it's going more hardcore in terms of complexity and design the better
How is the design casual when they had to program 52 transformations with different movement and design, has the biggest worlds and more collectables than any Mario. If you're talking about dark souls type of enemies, not gonna happen.

How is the design casual when they had to program 52 transformations with different movement and design, has the biggest worlds and more collectables than any Mario. If you're talking about dark souls type of enemies, not gonna happen.

The movement is great.

The rest...not so much. Bland world design, cookie cutter moon tasks, etc. It is a bad game with great controls. I'm not talking Dark Souls level of difficulty, but Galaxy or 64 would have been nice.

Balan wonderland is a bad game, knack is a bad game... you don't like mario odyssey =/= bad game. bad game with great controls wtf lol

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Robb

Gold Member
“Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017), so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways.
Sounds like they’ll expand on Odyssey rather than 3D World going forward, which would be great news imo.

Not a fan of 3D World at all personally, it’s probably my least favorite 3D Mario game.

Last edited:

Davevil

Make a Mario platform game with all the cast.
This is my dream.
Odyssey has a cast of new villian so much forgettable

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Bowser's Fury is fucking amazing and just needed more depth/content.

Give us a full ass Mario WORLD.

Underwater, Sky, hell even throw in some Space shit.

I wanna soar in the sky with the Cape or Tanuki and plummet way down into the water and start swimming my way into a sunken ship.

Fucking. DO IT.

Nico_D

Absolutely. FLUDD traversal and usage was the most fun I've ever had in Mario game. And those FLUDD-less levels are killers, exceptional and hard.

I honestly don't think it can be read that way. He's saying that their entire philosophy for Mario Galaxy and Mario 3D World was limiting camera control in a truly 3D game, because people found it too difficult to control. They got excited about 3D Land, because 3D screens help casual players pinpoint the location of Mario in the game world and land on platforms more easily. 3D mainline Mario games have always sold a lot less than the 2D ones as well.

For the very first time since maybe Mario 64, they put out a relatively complex 3D Mario, and it sold 28 million copies so far. They're saying that they finally are trying to push forward again in contrast to their previous stance of casualization because the sales gave them permission.

Blasphemy. Mario Galaxy's gravity and planetary effects were a major step forward and a much better game than Sunshine to boot.
I love Galaxy, but it's mostly an on-rails camera system that makes platforming easier for casual gamers. It's not the same thing as Sunshine.

Last edited:

Fbh

Some early 3D concept of the next game actually just leaked the other day
tGLwvUKpigJql4rJqzEOqTw9Lr8a7iHi6li8SwKQ47PdljhhPmenRZ3ufYfR4PQxCbbKvd3-lI4Q4oVBIlAHtXQxOZEnVXC1BTcw2Uo0zEh7CeKkkq_1MEnOTQ

But yeah I think expanding on Bowser's Fury is the way to go for the next one.

GymWolf

Balan wonderland is a bad game, knack is a bad game... you don't like mario odyssey =/= bad game. bad game with great controls wtf lol
Knack was a bad platformer, but as a childish looking arena brawler on hard was surprisingly fun, pixel perfect control, and surprisingly high level of challenge and enemy variety, coop was also fun.

I bet that majority of people who talk shit about knack never tried it or bought it thinking about a full fledged platformer.

Balan was shit yeah, i saw the dunkey videos and i was laughing my ass off.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Knack was a bad platformer, but as a childish looking arena brawler on hard was surprisingly fun, pixel perfect control, and surprisingly high level of challenge and enemy variety, coop was also fun.

I bet that majority of people who talk shit about knack never tried it or bought it thinking about a full fledged platformer.

Balan was shit yeah, i saw the dunkey videos and i was laughing my ass off.
Knack felt like a movie to videogame game for a movie that doesn't exists.

Woopah

I think Switch already has enough 3D Mario, give me something different. I'd prefer a new IP or franchise rival from their Tokyo team.

Ceadeus

Why not making a huge Mario game that would be called Super Mario ultimate. It would incorporates all of the genre Mario has been into one game.

There would be platforming, sports, karting, creation mode,party mode and a social space reminding of Miiverse.

One big motherf*cking Mario game, the ultimate experience.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This really isn't what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear that a new Mario is coming soonish since it has been 4 years. I was hoping for Odyssey 2 or a full on Bowser's Fury like game then something more advanced for the next system. This sounds more like they are going for the next game now, and not giving us something to tide us over.

Top Bottom