• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

Please lock if this has been posted already.

Interview via GNN Gamer (Google Translate)

Note: there was a mis-translation regarding 3 expansions, Miyazaki only confirmed 2 for Dark Souls III - first is in Fall 2016, second is early 2017.

Q: How many DLCs will there be?

A: We will make three large DLCs as planned. First one will be out in Fall 2016, Second one in Early 2017, Third one doesn't have a date yet.

On the future of Dark Souls and confirms that development on a new IP has begun:
Q: I know you said there won’t be any sequels and Dark Souls 3 marks the end of the series. But is this world really coming to an end? Is there a chance there would be some kind of DLC, spin-offs or tie-in novels set in this world?

A: Dark Souls 3 will be have several DLCs like previous games. But there’s absolutely no plan right now for any sequels, spin-offs or tie-ins. But I can’t say for certain the possibility is 0%.

For example, if a FROM Software developer come to me five years from now and beg ‘please let me make another Dark Souls‘. Then I will not rule out the possibility to let my subordinates start a new project.

What is certain for now is, to me personally Dark Souls is over. So rather than make another sequel, I think it’s time we take a step to a new direction. Development of a new IP has already begun.

My take on this: he personally doesn't want to develop more Souls type games right now, but if his subordinates (aka Dark Souls 2 "B team") want to make them - he will let them. No plans for sequels, tie-ins or spin-offs right now means no Bloodborne 2 =(

For the Demon's Souls faithful:
Q: So we won’t be seeing a Demons’s Souls sequel or remaster any time soon?

A: We want to try making new things.

That's not what GAF wanted to read D=

On Armored Core:
Q: What about Armored Core sequel?

A: Personally I want to do it. After all I was involved in three games in the series.

Armored Core is one of the pillars of FROM Software's lineup, but I can't reveal anything at the moment.

Lots more interesting tidbits at the link provided. Translation is rough.

Don't really care what they make, as long as it's in the same vain just like Bloodborne was a new IP and was in the same vain as souls. And it was brilliant.

Card Boy

Banned
Dammit at the Demons Souls Remaster answer. Game would be amazing on PS4 with 1080p/60FPS/Better textures/better lighting/Fixed World tenancy system.

I'd want a souls like armored core

but like, a desolate world you can explore taking missions from corporations that take you around the world

Like..maybe just a hub area you can explore in with a character, then you hop into your Core to do missions.

God, so cool. Armored Core is a cool series.

Eriugam

Neo Member
It's nice to see a developer actually answering questions fully as opposed to just steering around them

Persona7

Banned
I wish they would put some more old games on PSN at least. I don't see why they would have to handle a Demon's Souls remaster internally when they can farm it out and just collect profit.

Gator86

I wonder what a modern Armored Core would look like. Souls should be dead, for From's top team, at least. It's clearly reached the end of the line from a creative sense and a lot of the core systems are desperately in need of revision. I wouldn't mind a Bloodborne 2 though before they abandon the style entirely, if they do.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That's not what GAF wanted to read D=

Good, GAF's remaster obsession is unhealthy.

Armored Core is probably MIA forever. Have the last few games even sold well? AC:VD has a following in Japan, at least. I feel like 10x more people on this forum talk about AC than actually buy and play it.

And thank you new IP. Please something that isn't VR King's Field.

Servbot24

Banned
Dammit at the Demons Souls Remaster answer. Game would be amazing on PS4 with 1080p/60FPS/Better textures/better lighting/Fixed World tenancy system.
Sony should provide resources for that. Would be a nice game to have in a couple years.

It may be the end of Dark Souls (who knows, kinda doubt it when you see how much 3 sold) but there can always be a game with similar mechanics under a different name. See Bloodborne.

DrStruts

Neo Member
I think Miyazaki and the a lot of the fans are on the same wavelength when it comes to the Dark Souls series now. The series has had a fantastic run but it did fell that the ideas were stretching thin when playing through DS3. It was still an amazing game, but the series peaked some time ago and there's only so much you can do with that formula before it becomes stale. I'm ready for some new worlds From!

But it looks like DS3 is going to have some nice post-launch support for the next year or so, which is nice.

Jawmuncher

Demons Souls wouldn't even be up to them, it would be on Sony. Why would from even do it considering their track record on performance? Blue point would need to do it.

New IP, cool. Also confirms again that he's done with Dark Souls (and Soulsborne series for that matter, because that's what I get from it).

I wonder if that new IP is one of the next exclusives they develop for Sony.

Ubernube

Don't really care what they make, as long as it's in the same vain just like Bloodborne was a new IP and was in the same vain as souls. And it was brilliant.

I think they want to take a break from the soulsborne formula, given how they have no plans for spin-offs, which I'd argue bloodborne was. They've been working on that particular formula for a long time now. Let em take a break and try something new I say.

Glowsquid

That Armored Core answer is encouraging. Last time Miyazaki talked about it, he mentioned vague "issues" getting in the way of a new game.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
The new IP is the one they are working with Sony I guess based on insiders at GAF. It is another JRPG.

la_briola

There will be a Dark Souls IV.

Its their biggest IP (sales) by quite a wide margin. Bamco will want it and they will make it.

No one buys Armored Core anyways.

VariantX

Hope there's a new AC on the way. I fell in love with the games in the PS2 era but never could make heads or tails of the newer ones.

I don't think Miyazaki considers Bloodborne a Souls game, so a sequel isn't out of the question.

I'm really excited for a new IP! And current gen Armored Core <3
And if there's a remaster, let Bluepoint or another great port studio do it!

Nyoro SF

I'm glad he wants to focus on making new experiences.

But... I would still make incredibly bad life choices if it meant I could get a Demon's Souls remaster.

I trust Miyazaki's vision. He understands his goals and knows what target points to build the game towards. Bloodborne was a shining example of how they can take an idea or two from Dark Souls and just roll with it. Go hog wild Miyazaki. I'll just strap myself in and enjoy whatever New IP roller coaster ride you decide to build for us.

Gbraga

Ahh, ohh... Oh, we've the deepest gratitude! For From Soft, and all they do for us. The deepest, widest, gratitude, yes!

The End

The armored cores he worked on (Last Raven / 4 / For Answer) are some of the best in the series. I'd love to see him do another mecha game.

mcz117chief

April-Fools-2015-Compilation_Random_Armored-Core-6-400x260.jpg

Believe!

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Enjoyed Bloodborne very much, but cannot claim to be a FROM or Souls fan in general. Having said that I've known and respect them as a developer since Demon's Souls, and definitely looking forward to seeing what they do next.

Frozone

Shit. DS3 is probably going to be the best of the series (it already trumps DS2 easily) and so I'll definitely pick up all the DLC. This series has the best combat mechanics this generation (and last) IMO.

I wonder what they have for the future. Maybe Sci-fi?

bidguy

Banned
People are going to lose their minds if the new IP is a PS4 exclusive. lol

nah from software was always leaning more towards sony. wouldnt be surprised if dark souls is the only multiplat franchise for now

i dont really care either way unless its a souls spinoff which he clearly denied ... i just hope the gameplay is similar

Top Bottom