• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 12 The Show cover athlete announced (Adrian Gonzalez), coming to Vita & PS3 March

gluv65 I saw you mention they have add'd collision physics to the game. Are these physics more a long the lines of what we are now seeing in the NHL and Fifa games? I have not really seen any video showing this, been playing The Show ever since MVP stopped making games, collision physics are one of the things I have been wanting the most.

It's really annoying watching canned animations on home plate collisions and double play break ups, also running out a ground ball at first and watching the hitter just ghost through 1st basemen (or hard collide around him). Is there any video that I may have missed that shows off the new player physics?

I think its more collision avoidance, instead of full on collisions. I'm skeptical as well since morphing and canned animations have been in this series since its inception. So I will have a wait and see when it comes to "all new tag animations".

I'd rather have that Canadian cover.

Anyone think Sony will offer a discount for buying the PS3 and Vita versions together? I mean, I know it's Sony and all, but that would be really alluring for people like myself.

Ck6b5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK4AbIwTB8Q

Fucking hot.
Day 0 for both.

Riggs

Banned
I think its more collision avoidance, instead of full on collisions. I'm skeptical as well since morphing and canned animations have been in this series since its inception. So I will have a wait and see when it comes to "all new tag animations".

Ah ok, well any improvement would be appreciated so I guess we will see.

Mrbob

I'd rather have that Canadian cover.

Anyone think Sony will offer a discount for buying the PS3 and Vita versions together? I mean, I know it's Sony and all, but that would be really alluring for people like myself.

Gamespot has an a segment with MLB 12 The Show vita here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLaf3v1eTAg&t=1h37s

Looks so good. The community manager said there is nothing to say today but a possible discount for those who want both versions is being discussed. Don't know if that is a blow off to the question but I'm hoping there is a discount, because I will buy bother versions at a reduced price point to transfer my save files between home and on the road!

slider

I've only bought one year of The Show (and realised I knew nothing about baseball) but I think it's such a well executed brand that maybe they should release it outside of NA...

FACT SHEET aka Features list asterisk = New when new isn't stated.

Widely considered the most authentic baseball game available, MLB® 12 The Show™ is set again to provide fans with the best baseball experience this console generation with even more features and modes destine to quicken the heart, raise the stakes, and hurl you further into the true MLB® baseball experience.

The Show has been and continues to be the market leading and highest ranked officially licensed baseball title of this console generation (according to MetaCritic.com) and the number-one rated sports video game over the past four years (according to GameRankings.com), delivering true-to-life gameplay, authentic franchise and season modes, and incredible detail not found in any other sports game.

MLB 12 The Show builds on what has been delivered in previous franchise releases, adding compelling features that bring unparalleled innovation and polish to the sports genre. As the number one selling baseball franchise in video game history, The Show is proving once again to be the industry’s premier licensed Major League Baseball® (MLB®) game, both critically and commercially.

Due to hit stores on March 6, 2012, just in time for Spring Training™, as the only officially licensed first party video game exclusively for the PlayStation®3 (PS3™), and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) systems, MLB 2 The Show is prepared to deliver a one-of-a-kind experience for all fans, new and old

NEW FEATURES IN MLB 12 THE SHOW:

MLB The Show on PS Vita (PS Vita) – MLB 12 The Show is available on the PS Vita this year so users can enjoy all of the core modes of play found in the PS3 game, including Exhibition, Season, Franchise, Home Run Derby, online play, and Road to The Show, for users who want the personal experience of taking control of one player through his career starting in the Minors all the way to the Majors. PS Vita users will have the ability to use new touch screen controls within MLB 12 The Show using the front touch screen and the rear touch screen controls to throw the ball to specific locations, make pitch commands, and run the bases. MLB 12 The Show for PS Vita will provide a big league experience that players can take with them on road, anytime, anywhere.

Cross Platform Saves (PS3 & PS Vita) – New to MLB 12 The Show is the ability for users to share save files between PS3 and PS Vita. Players can now take their Franchise, Season, and Road to The Show save files up to the cloud where they can then access those files on either platform. Users are limited to one file per mode per PlayStation Network account, which can be overwritten as many times as you’d like. At home on PS3 or on the road with the PS Vita, fans can continue their seasons anywhere!

*True Ball Physics (PS3 & Vita) – MLB 12 The Show now incorporates realistic ball physics and proper spin for balls that bounce off the bases, the pitcher’s mound rubber, and other surface on the field. The baseball now bounces realistically using actual math for a spinning ball hitting these surfaces. Therefore, the way the ball bounces in MLB 12 has changed a lot from previous versions. In order for hits to get through the infield, the ball counts on having top-spin so the spin of the ball off the bat is now accurate with realistic RPMs. The ball also bounces and loses energy like a real baseball does and is launched with the correct spin. This results in more hit type varieties, rising and sinking liners, more choppers, balls tailing away from the outfielders, and balls hitting off the bases.

*TruBroadcast Presentations (PS3 Only) – Baseball fans demand an accurate simulation of reality and anything that detracts from this can shatter the feeling that you are playing in a real game. MLB 12 The Show makes the biggest leap forward EVER in this regard, truly blurring the line between reality and the in-game experience. With completely refined presentations combined with enhanced artificial intelligence (AI), revamped cameras, and expanded audio, MLB 12 is poised to deliver the most realistic baseball gaming experience to date.

*Diamond Dynasty (PS3 Only) – Diamond Dynasty juggles aspects of team management, player progression, and online competition, with more creative freedom than any sports game to date. Gamers create a custom team complete with Team Name, Colors, custom Uniforms, and fully customizable Logos with up to 1000 layers of detail. Once created, the team is given a handful of MLB baseball cards and Dynasty baseball cards that, when activated, add the players to your team roster.

The fundamentals of Diamond Dynasty revolve around the difference between MLB and Dynasty cards and the unique reward systems that support each type. A Dynasty player is a long-term investment that requires training similar to that of a “Road to the Show” player. Dynasty players are supplemented with an award/achievement system. In contrast MLB players are short-term investments that slot into your roster ready to play at their current attribute levels. Completing collections of MLB players will reward you with Budget bonuses. Budget is used to train players, purchase Card Packs (Dynasty or MLB), and to purchase cards from other users on the Marketplace. Most of your Budget is earned by playing either Head-to-Head online games, or VS. CPU against MLB teams. Head-to-Head games are matched and ranked using an ELO system that most competitive online games now use some form. Every fifth game played, your team is re-evaluated for placement into one of five competitive divisions: Spring Training, Season Series, Division Series, Championship Series, and World Series. What will define your dynasty?

*Full Move Support in The Show (PS3) – Control all aspects of The Show with the PlayStation®Move motion controller, including pitching, hitting, fielding, and running the bases. There are also custom meters on screen to compliment the experience. Imagine being at the plate and seeing the batters hands moving as you move. Move gameplay can be used in all modes.

* Zone Analog Batting (PS3 & PS Vita) – MLB® 11 The Show™ introduced analog controls, now this year, MLB 12 will bring a combination of the old and the new with Zone Analog Batting. The right analog stick will still be used for the stride and swing, but now, if you choose to, you can control where you swing in the zone using the left analog stick. All the other analog controls are also being improved and enhanced.

*Pulse Pitching (PS3 & PS Vita) – This is a new interface to the classic pitching style. Players still pitch using a simple “X” button press, but users must time the press with an on-screen display to ensure pitch accuracy. All other pitching methods are also being improved and enhanced.

Franchise Improvements (PS3 & PS Vita) – MLB 12 The Show introduces a number of Franchise mode improvements, including player generation logic has been tuned to provide more variety inside draft classes and more realistic pitch repertoires. The lineup logic has also been updated to give you closer to real-life rosters while in your Season, Franchise, and Road to The Show modes. Finally, the trade system has been revamped with improved logic based more on the real-life club’s strategy. Small market teams will behave as such, while the bigger fish will continue to go after the top players in the game. Also, highly touted prospects will remain just that and won’t be showing up in trades early on in their careers.

Road to the Show Improvements (PS3 & PS Vita) – This generation of Road to The Show brings a new assortment of training modes for base running and fielding to round out your Road to The Show player’s training experience. Also, your created player will now be “that” highlighted and touted prospect you think he is, by starting his career as a Double-A starter. The player creator has seen improvements as well, by offering a slew of new accessories to compliment the already extensive system.

*Situational Collision Awareness (PS3 & Vita) – Players will now know where they and other players are on the field and understand when to avoid other players and how to react when other players are near. Although this sounds like a relatively simple concept, but it’s very important and makes the game experience feel more true to life.

*New Tag Animation System (PS3 & PS Vita) – Players can now branch out of any tag throw animation and branch out of a tag animation to avoid it. There are also more animations and ways to tag runners out at the plate. This new system allows for more results (dropping the ball, new swipes, etc.) and the addition of new standing and run down tags, which creates a more dynamic and organic player integration on the base paths and at the plate.

*Online Everywhere and Unified Settings (PS3 & PS Vita) – Online everywhere and Unified Settings will minimize, if not remove, the obvious line between offline and online in The Show via PSN. One of the most notable changes is the inclusion of online features and components in the main menus, especially the Exhibition > Team Select screen. That’s now the launching pad for offline Exhibition and online Play Now games. Users will also now be auto-logged in to The Show servers, making online features more accessible. Unifying user settings is a minor, but important feature. Users no longer have to set their offline and online settings – there will be one!

*Play Now Plus (PS3 & PS Vita) – Similar to Play Now, Play Now Plus can be used through custom settings. This is as easy as selecting Play Now, setting your Play Now settings, saving these settings, then selecting Play Now type. There’s no need to set you Play Now settings again, unless you want to change them up. You’ll then be able to find an opponent to match your gameplay settings, without having to go through the challenge process.

*SimulView™ Functionality with PlayStation®3D Display (PS3) – MLB 12 The Show will incorporate SimulView™ technology that allows two people to play head to head without seeing each other’s screen while playing on the PlayStation®3D Display. It uses the same technology as Stereoscopic 3D, but instead of sending image A to the left eye and image B to the right Eye, we send image A to player 1 and image B to player 2.

New Tutorial Movies (PS3 & PS Vita) – With all of the new features this year in MLB 12 The Show, we felt that it was essential to provide more tutorial movies to educate our fans. For example, these tutorial movies showcase and explain the new PS Move implementation for all facets of gameplay (hitting, pitching, fielding, and throwing). In addition, the five tutorials explaining the Pure features implemented in MLB 11 The Show have also been updated an improved, including Pure Hitting, Pure Pitching, Pure Throwing, and the fake throw system. Watch them in the frontend menus or the in-game pause menu.

The Best Gets Better! MLB 12 The Show includes over 50 more enhancements, new features, and improvements!

Over 500 new Presentation animations
Over 300 new Fielding, Throwing, and Base running animations
Over 150 New Batting Stances
Over 75 New Pitching Animations

Improved load times

Completely new bat, ball and glove sounds
New Bullpen Management options
New player accessories (new sunglasses, protective gear, hat bills, etc…)
New Pick off logic
New player card including advanced baseball stats

New Batter/Pitcher Attribute snapshot OSD (D-Pad Left)

More fluid organic fielder animations from start to end of play
Improved fielder routes on balls off the wall (more variety of pursuit angles)
Dynamic fielding results and reaction (balls can now be dropped or missed by a fielder
anytime)
Improved button fielding with difficulty levels
New Pitcher Confidence Logic
Increased and improved conversation among Matt, Dave and Eric.
14 New umpires

Updated uniforms and stadiums for new and updated teams
Updated jumbotron movies and stat layouts (still team specific)
Updated LED Ribbon board art and movies
Focus on interface and display presentation and flair
Uniform select in all modes
Frontend sound preview when assigning audio

New Player Generation Logic
New Trade interface and screen

Improved Lineup Logic
Co-op available in Season and Franchise modes
Road to the Show career begins as a Double-A starter
Move video tutorials

New in-game tips
Did You Knows on Loading screens
Season and Franchise mode Co-op
Base Running Training in RTTS
Fielding Training in RTTS

New Base Runner Awareness
Online Gameplay Gets a Boost (better reaction, better experience) (PS3)
www.TheShowNation.com Community Web Site Revamp
Operating System supported Virtual Keyboard

New Online Gamer Card (more information)
Swing Analysis OSD Improvements and Profile Display Options
“Free” 1st inning quit in Online Games removed
Online Profile to use PSN Avatar
PSN Profile utility support on Vita (Friend Requests)
Game History showing XP gain/loss)
Play online with your full profile settings (minus negotiated settings)
Challenge of the Week is now free
Online League Schedule improvements
Online League Playoff improvements

Kccitystar

I am so pumped for this game, and I'm glad this game is a system seller. I love how every year they don't just tack on new features but they try to solidify what's already in place. Since that's already great, they try to blur the line between real life and a video game by using presentations you'd see in an actual broadcast like transitions, segways in commentary to what's happening on the field, etc.

Just like last year, Day 0 for sure.

elohel

It does not

ugh bummer

have all the show games gotten better over time?

i dont play sports or sports games nor do i really know all the rules but mlb the show seems really interesting mechanically and is regarded by some as one of the best baseball games ever

so why people here like it?

My post above. I knew that their was something that bothered me about the cross platform saves. That commercial makes it seem like it can be done at anytime which isn't true, very misleading.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...7349307/show-hands-preview?readmore=fullstory

Here's Community Manager for SCEA San Diego Russell Ramone

You can share save files between your PS3 and Vita games. That means you can start your season at home on your PlayStation 3, play for a couple of weeks, then save your file to the PlayStation cloud, and resume your season on the Vita as you take your game on the road. Sure, that means you need to buy the game for each platform, but for people who commute on the train or are heading out on vacation, this will be an ideal way to stay connected to their favorite franchise. Only downer is the fact that you can't save mid-game on one platform and pick right up on the other. In order to save to the cloud, it needs to be between games, not between innings.

ugh bummer

have all the show games gotten better over time?

i dont play sports or sports games nor do i really know all the rules but mlb the show seems really interesting mechanically and is regarded by some as one of the best baseball games ever

so why people here like it?
Yes they've gotten better over time but very very marginally.

Everybody likes it because the gulf in class between The Show and 2k's offering is similar to the gulf in class between playing in the MLB and playing in Single A.

But it's far from being the best baseball sim of all time and if you don't like baseball or playing sport sims this is not for you.

Bog

Junior Ace

Everybody likes it because the gulf in class between The Show and 2k's offering is similar to the gulf in class between playing in the MLB and playing in Single A.

But it's far from being the best baseball sim of all time and if you don't like baseball or playing sport sims this is not for you.

Say what? And please don't say High Heat. Great game in its day, but I defy you to play that game today.

i'm not a big baseball fan (like i am football) but the show is the most realistic SPORTS game ever. it's pretty incredible. a lot of this has to do with the fact that i think a baseball game is easier to do than say a football/soccer/basketball game where you are usually seeing double digit people on the screen at all times doing their own thing, but regardless this game series is legit

eznark

Banned
i'm not a big baseball fan (like i am football) but the show is the most realistic SPORTS game ever. it's pretty incredible. a lot of this has to do with the fact that i think a baseball game is easier to do than say a football/soccer/basketball game where you are usually seeing double digit people on the screen at all times doing their own thing, but regardless this game series is legit

The EA NHL games are still the high bar, but this is a tremendously close second.

Say what? And please don't say High Heat. Great game in its day, but I defy you to play that game today.

Firstly which version of The Show are you claiming to be "the best of all-time"?

Secondly claiming anything is the "best of all-time" is a very big statement especially without establishing any criteria first.

Thirdly, comparing video games especially sports sims over a period of time is an utterly futile exercise.

OE : On related note, the Bleacher Report did a Top 50 Baseball Video Games of All-time. Does anybody have the list?

Operation Sports Exclusive game play exhibition Cards vs. Cubs 1 inning expect more from this game also this is an exhibition game not as many new OSD. Gametrailers Machinima should be gettting franchise to show case new OSD's and commentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PZCMLOQv9E&list=UUGlHzR3R_0qV6FJlExyvtrQ&feature=plcp

* live commentary and sound during replays
* New ball hitting the bat and glove sounds
* stat overlay avg. in night games
* New Defense Line up introduction

Top Bottom