• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 13: The Show - Fact Sheet of Awesome

A lot of people who went to Community Day said the Vita version looked improved but they didn't seem ready to sing its praises. It may only be a marginal improvement.

I'm still going to grab it. Played the hell out of both versions last year.

Izick

If some of the home run swings are Japanese bat tosses, Day 1.

So I was at a MLB ball game a few years ago, third row up from the away team's dugout; so this guy comes up to the plate; ball, strike, ball; so now he swings (and misses) and I guess he let the bat go by accident. He absolutely cracks this woman 3 or 4 to the left of me in the face with the bat, like it was bad. Anyway, this lady gets nailed in the face, the management comes down and starts talking to this lady, anyway this teenager comes down and he has the gull to try and ask the lady for the bad. Anyway the crowd started booing him and it was the best thing ever. What kind of asshole would do that?

Also, it was funny because later on in the game he swung too hard again and did the exact same thing except it went into the dugout and hit who knows how many people, and the crowd busted his chops for it.

Keinu

I actually started to watch some Baseball last season and found myself strangely intrigued. If I want to try a Baseball game, is this game easy to get into if you don't know all the rules etc.?

ttocs

What mode do you guys usually play in The Show? In the past I have mainly played Road to the Show but I think I want to play a franchise type game. I'm wondering if it's possible to play a franchise but have a player created character in it? Anyone know?

Keinu - I grew up around baseball so the rules are second nature to me but even so I think they are pretty basic and easy to learn. If you can follow a baseball game and know what is going on, you'll be fine. Things like infield fly rules and third strike bunts may confuse you at first but once you see one, you'll understand. The Show is a sim game though. If you are new to baseball, they have very easy difficulties that can ease you into it. Don't try to start out at normal because hitting a pitcher's pitches can be rough at first. It's a great game though and I really enjoy it, but I'm a bit of a baseball nut myself.

What mode do you guys usually play in The Show? In the past I have mainly played Road to the Show but I think I want to play a franchise type game. I'm wondering if it's possible to play a franchise but have a player created character in it? Anyone know?

Road to the Show during the month of March and the sporadically the rest of the year while I focus on Franchise.

This year I plan to devote a lot of time to developing a team in Diamond Dynasty and I can see myself playing some of The Show Live content as well.

I actually started to watch some Baseball last season and found myself strangely intrigued. If I want to try a Baseball game, is this game easy to get into if you don't know all the rules etc.?

It's known to be a difficult game but they've slowed down the ball speed this year and added a Beginner's Mode plus 120 "Smart" tutorials. This may be the best one to jump into as a beginner.

ttocs

Road to the Show during the month of March and the sporadically the rest of the year while I focus on Franchise.

This year I plan to devote a lot of time to developing a team in Diamond Dynasty and I can see myself playing some of The Show Live content as well.

Do you know anything about a created character being able to play in a franchise/dynasty mode? I thought I heard something about it but I'm not certain.

So I was at a MLB ball game a few years ago, third row up from the away team's dugout; so this guy comes up to the plate; ball, strike, ball; so now he swings (and misses) and I guess he let the bat go by accident. He absolutely cracks this woman 3 or 4 to the left of me in the face with the bat, like it was bad. Anyway, this lady gets nailed in the face, the management comes down and starts talking to this lady, anyway this teenager comes down and he has the gull to try and ask the lady for the bad. Anyway the crowd started booing him and it was the best thing ever. What kind of asshole would do that?

Also, it was funny because later on in the game he swung too hard again and did the exact same thing except it went into the dugout and hit who knows how many people, and the crowd busted his chops for it.

Probably Josh Hamilton. He's well known for his hatred of baseball fans and drunken slip ups.

Do you know anything about a created character being able to play in a franchise/dynasty mode? I thought I heard something about it but I'm not certain.

I'm not sure, I always use knights roster for Franchise mode. I guess you can but I'm not sure if you can port over a RTTS character with stats intact. Haven't tried that.

Tobor

I had a lot of fun with Road to the Show last year until I was traded from my Nats to the Mariners. :(

Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

ttocs

I had a lot of fun with Road to the Show last year until I was traded from my Nats to the Mariners. :(

Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

I was with my O's for a while until I ended up with the Yankees. That really killed it for me for a while.

And I don't think there is anything you can do about that. It's a baseball sim and you are owned by the team and if they can fill a spot on the roster that is better than having you on the team, they will.

Chesh

Right... guys... someone please help me. I'm in the UK and I know nothing about Baseball (except that it's a bit like Rounders - I kid, I kid). I picked up MLB12 when I was over in the states, having heard a lot about how good it is. I'm always on the lookout for a local multiplayer game that isn't PES/FIFA. I've tried to play it, but what the hell am I doing?

If I play it goes a bit like this:

My turn: strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike, strike
CPU: Run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run

Until I'm all out.

I really wanted to love this. I wanted my friends to love it, but it seems brutally hard - and not knowing about Baseball I don't think the game gives me enough feedback on where I'm going wrong.

How do you make it work?

Right... guys... someone please help me. I'm in the UK and I know nothing about Baseball (except that it's a bit like Rounders - I kid, I kid). I picked up MLB12 when I was over in the states, having heard a lot about how good it is. I'm always on the lookout for a local multiplayer game that isn't PES/FIFA. I've tried to play it, but what the hell am I doing?

Until I'm all out.

I really wanted to love this. I wanted my friends to love it, but it seems brutally hard - and not knowing about Baseball I don't think the game gives me enough feedback on where I'm going wrong.

How do you make it work?

Have you played around with the sliders? Adjusted the difficult setting? Pay special attention to the pitch speed, contact and batters eye sliders. Turn them up for Human/Player and down for CPU.

The beginner's mode in 13 looks like it is made for you as well.

Tobor

I was with my O's for a while until I ended up with the Yankees. That really killed it for me for a while.

And I don't think there is anything you can do about that. It's a baseball sim and you are owned by the team and if they can fill a spot on the roster that is better than having you on the team, they will.

Hmmm. I totally get that from a sim perspective, but it kills the fantasy.

Maybe this year I'll start on a random team, that way I won't feel burned by getting traded.

Izick

Until I'm all out.

How do you make it work?

Just try and get you're timing down, learn how to utilize your pitches better, especially learn where to place pitches. Should be tons of tutorials and Youtube vids online.

Until I'm all out.

How do you make it work?
Hitting blog also with some tips with a new feature called beginner mode, which teaches you timing and ball recognition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ochFV9Ym6dc

Returners

Until I'm all out.

How do you make it work?

Sounds like you need MLB 13's new beginner mode ;)

Basically go into practice mode, play as pitcher but camera in batter mode. Throw fastballs in the middle. Then vary location, then mixing in changeups. Recognizing the difference between the fastball and the changeup is the key (at least I think it is) because it's 2 different speeds.

Once you understand those 2 and understood the timing for those, the curve's (and there's a lot of them) are around the change-up's timing, but the release point and end point will be different. Curve's more about location, either it's in or it's out. Same with sliders.

If you want to get in the game faster, use guess pitch. it helps a lot, by eliminating(or guessing it correctly) at least one of the pitches in their arsenal, you will generally know whats coming and adapt accordingly.

turnbuckle

Oh yeah. Online was fine last year, it was the fuck-awful slow fielding animations that made he hate it. Honestly online has been generally fine the last two releases.

I've found the online to be very good since 2010. You run into some bad connections here and there, but I can't blame Sony for people not having a good and WIRED internet connection.

So is Matt Vasgersian still in it this year? I hope he sticks around and they got rid of Eric Karros.

He was "stone cold sober" when he murdered that fan too.

Shouldn't happen this year with the improved ball physics.

Chesh

Thanks for the replies.

What control system do most people tend to use? I think when I booted it up I had three options, and I started with the most casual mode (I sucked) and then later changed it to the middle setting (sucked more). I did watch a few YouTube vids to try and get into it but the bloke playing looked like he was batting with pulling back and pushing forwards the analogue stick, when I'd been using just a button press. I got the idea that the first two modes might just be redundant, maybe like how the simple driving settings are to most people who play Forza?

Thanks for the replies.

What control system do most people tend to use? I think when I booted it up I had three options, and I started with the most casual mode (I sucked) and then later changed it to the middle setting (sucked more). I did watch a few YouTube vids to try and get into it but the bloke playing looked like he was batting with pulling back and pushing forwards the analogue stick, when I'd been using just a button press. I got the idea that the first two modes might just be redundant, maybe like how the simple driving settings are to most people who play Forza?

I switch to both button pitching and hitting now. Can't be bothered with the analog shit anymore. It's all about timing, not trying to sim a swing with my thumbs.

friz898

I got MLB'12 on day 1 for Vita at a Midnight release at Gamestop. I felt so silly going in there and there was like 3 other much more popular games with midnight releases that night.

They were all lining up for SFxTekken, and I think Mass Effect 3, and I think there was one more..don't remember. And there I am at midnight for MLB Vita and the sales person is like "oh...ya uh...ya we did get that... uh here!"

I guess they'll get me again for MLB '13! Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed more gameplay videos.

What's crazy is I have a ps3 and I agree the ps3 version is the better buy of course...something about playing it on the handheld makes me all happy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are the features lacking from the Vita version a big deal? I've never played an MLB game and was considering this iteration for portable baseball.

I don't understand why there is even lag online.

Especially considering pitching and hitting occur at two exclusive instances. The player on one end inputs the command pitch and parameters, this gets sent to the other player and then generated on his end. He hits the ball in real time. Considering lag is less of an issue for defense.

Once the pitcher throws the ball, you don't control it mid-air. So why does the other player need to react to the pitched ball in real time with lag? Makes no sense.

I don't understand why there is even lag online.

Especially considering pitching and hitting occur at two exclusive instances. The player on one end inputs the command pitch and parameters, this gets sent to the other player and then generated on his end. He hits the ball in real time. Considering lag is less of an issue for defense.

Once the pitcher throws the ball, you don't control it mid-air. So why does the other player need to react to the pitched ball in real time with lag? Makes no sense.
No servers, peer-to-peer connection.

No servers, peer-to-peer connection.

Yeah. I claim to be no expert on how these things work. But once you input the data and commands for the pitch, the game determines what kind of pitch will be thrown. Couldn't they send that data wholesale to the other user, and generate the pitch outcome in real time on his console. He reacts to said pitch, hits the ball - this data is sent to the other player and they match up in real time again once the ball is put in play.

I don't know, I just always though pitching and hitting were exclusive elements that could be done separately.

Yeah. I claim to be no expert on how these things work. But once you input the data and commands for the pitch, the game determines what kind of pitch will be thrown. Couldn't they send that data wholesale to the other user, and generate the pitch outcome in real time on his console. He reacts to said pitch, hits the ball - this data is sent to the other player and they match up in real time again once the ball is put in play.

I don't know, I just always though pitching and hitting were exclusive elements that could be done separately.

You aren't taking things like base stealing or pickoff attempts into account though.

I'm ready for MLB 13.

That is, I'm ready for another GAF league to fall apart before April.
I'm ready for Ryan Braun to be banned this year also! :D
Either way I can't wait to get this. Looks to be amazing; debating on picking up the bundle.

do you want to be the reason the terrorists win? No?

then pick the bundle up! Hell with the bump Vita will get off the PS4 announcement sell that version for 30-35 bucks, call it a day!

Top Bottom