• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2010-2011 Offseason Thread of Yawn the NL Wins Again, What Else is New?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

I need to figure out a way to force the McCheaps to sell to Steve Garvey lead group. Hell I'd take crazy ass Mark Cuban.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Sharp said:
All GMs (except maybe Jim Hendry) use a ton of SABR-oriented stuff at this point. They're not stupid. Their statements to the public have nothing to do with the comparisons they're doing behind the scenes. They also have access to stats and data that we don't (particularly HitFX stuff).
That's what I've figured, but like Windu said it's nice to have actual confirmation that the team actively cares about it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you can now filter leaderboards on fangraphs by multiple seasons.

IX66a.png

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/leaderboards-feature-multiple-seasons/

WAR leaders since 2001 (pujols first season)
Code:
Pujols     80.6
Arod       70.6
Berkman    53.4
Ichiro     50.7
Chipper    50.6
http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...ual=y&type=8&season=2010&month=0&season1=2001

Sumbody hacked into Jon Heymans twitter n reported that Zack Greinke was traded to the Phillies. Mlb Network called Greinke and assured it was false :lol

effzee

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Sumbody hacked into Jon Heymans twitter n reported that Zack Greinke was traded to the Phillies. Mlb Network called Greinke and assured it was false :lol

Heard it on the radio and was like OH HELL YEAH but then they confirmed it was fake :(

Overlee

Windu said:
sounds like it was just someone with a close twitter name to his.

yup. his is SI_JonHeyman, I wonder if someone made up a name and just replaced the "I" with a lowercase "L" so it would be Sl_JonHeyman. Kids used to do that all the time on the old message boards I used to visit. :lol

edit: beaten by an edit.

Windu

7 is this offseason's favorite number. The Rockies have offered Carlos Gonzalez a 7 year deal.
FRIDAY, 4:45pm: Monfort confirmed that the team has offered Gonzalez a seven-year extension, but questioned the salary number reported by the Post. "I'm not sure where $100MM came from," Monfort told Wilmer Reina at the Venezuelan paper La Verdad (link in Spanish). "It's true that our organization has talked with his agent about an agreement of seven years, but not with those numbers." - Nick Collias
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/rockies-hoping-to-extend-carlos-gonzalez.html

Windu

Dayton Moore said:
"We feel really, really good about what we did to improve our outfield situation," general manager Dayton Moore said Friday. "Melky Cabrera broke into the major leagues at 21. I think he played 101 games in center field in 2009 and if memory serves me right, he was on the field playing center field when the Yankees won the championship in 2009."
Dayton Moore said:
"We targeted Jeff and Melky months ago as players we felt were not even at the prime of their careers yet, haven't peaked," Moore said. "There's upside there. Guys who were going to play with energy, guys who were going to be enthusiastic."
They can play everyday! Perfect fit for the organization!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Sharp said:
All GMs (except maybe Jim Hendry) use a ton of SABR-oriented stuff at this point. They're not stupid. Their statements to the public have nothing to do with the comparisons they're doing behind the scenes. They also have access to stats and data that we don't (particularly HitFX stuff).
Twins assistant GM Rob Antony says they do not use advanced metrics. This is probably why they felt JJ Hardy was an expendible piece and that Kubel is an adequate defender.

Jon

The guy behind the fake Heyman account is one of the guys from The Fightins. :lol I hope he doesn't get in trouble.

Doytch

yankeehater said:
I also got the Phils WS DVD's, really good.
Are all the mlb videos narrated by that tool who does the TWiB voice overs? Dude sounds just awful, but I can't place exactly what it is.

eznark

Banned
evil solrac v3.0 said:
*sigh* every time I see that name I think it's my altered clone who took my name and is doing what I've always wanted...... :(
I always have a very brief flash of happiness, thinking somehow Melvin shipped off Carlos Gomez.

Jon

Doytch said:
Are all the mlb videos narrated by that tool who does the TWiB voice overs? Dude sounds just awful, but I can't place exactly what it is.

No, each year is different. The Phillies had Terrance Howard, but the Yankees had Forrest Whitaker or something.

The set that Corran is talking about has all the real audio from all the games, with your choice of broadcast or radio.

Doytch

bigtroyjon said:
It will be a 2nd round comp pick at best since the Angels first round pick is protected.
Aw goddamn you're right. I just assumed the Angels weren't that awful last year, but they were below .500. Below the A's for christ's sake.

ESPN Dallas/Fort Worth is reporting the Rangers have increased their offer in response to the Yankees increase.

Both Heyman and Rosenthal say the Nationals are still in the Lee sweepstakes as well.

Breakdown on the Crawford contract with Boston:

-- $6 million signing bonus
-- 2011: $14 million
-- 2012: $19.5 million
-- 2013: $20 million
-- 2014: $20.25 million
-- 2015: $20.5 million
-- 2016: $20.75 million
-- 2017: $21 million
-- No known options or award/performance incentives

Does anyone really think Crawford is going to be worth $21 million in 2017 when he's 36 years old?

Sharp

Doytch said:
I have a feeling the Nats have just trolling everyone, and they just got called on it by Jayson Werth.
Nah, that Nat$ money is real. I doubt the Lerners / Rizzo are crazy enough to guarantee Lee the kind of money he would need to come to DC though.

ToxicAdam

AnEternalEnigma said:
-- 2017: $21 million
-- No known options or award/performance incentives

Does anyone really think Crawford is going to be worth $21 million in 2017 when he's 36 years old?

You can say that about all the 7-8 year deals that are being handed out. Even Sabathia and Teixeria.

That's why the inequality in baseball finances sucks so bad. You have a handful of teams that can just 'give away' 20-40 million dollars and not really give a shit.

Doytch said:
$20mil in 2010 is worth more than $21mil in 2017.

Which is why they're usually backloaded. Of course the question isn't whether Crawford will be worth $15 or $16 million in 2010 dollars at the end of his contract, it's whether he'll be worth, like, $5 million. I'm sure Crawford can live with his contract "depreciating" by the rate of inflation over the next seven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom