• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

Cutch is a good dude

I'm not gonna lie. I Googled my own name more than a few times this off-season to see if there was any news. It was hard not to when just about every conversation I had with friends, family and even strangers started with them asking me, “So, what’s the latest?”

Truth was, I didn’t know any more than anybody else. But there were times when the rumors got so intense and the stove got so hot that I would look down at my phone, almost expecting it to ring.

Cutch, you’ve been traded.

It’s always the things that haven’t happened yet that scare us the most. The fear of the unknown. And I honestly didn’t know where I was going to play baseball in 2017. There was no communication between the front office and me during the off-season … but that’s normal. Players aren’t consulted in trade talks. That’s not how the business works.

All I knew was that I wanted to keep playing in Pittsburgh. I wanted to finish what I had started here. I knew that I hadn’t played up to my capability last season, and that I had to use this off-season to get better. And I wasn’t going to let rumors distract me from doing that. I wasn’t going to get caught up in all the noise. As far as I’m concerned, until that phone rings and I’m told otherwise, I’m a Pittsburgh Pirate for life.

I dreaded that phone call for weeks — months, really.

Thankfully, it never came.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how that feels with all the uncertainty of what team you could be on... The only thing close to that feeling I've felt is through my cousin being a baseball player, jumping around to different teams, trying to find somewhere that sticks and stands by him with him being unsure if he'll get on a MLB roster and stay or not.

BFIB

I feel bad for his treatment. Takes a lesser deal for the team, goes through some shit years, team was probably one big piece from WS contention, owner doesn't do his part and go a little out of the comfort zone to get it done.

Cutch has one down year, the team still has solid pieces, but it's all Cutch's fault. Then he's on the trade wire, ends up not being traded.

Malo

Banned
Yup.

Speaking of baseball, any word of fantasy baseball this year again?
Enron renewed the league.

Tyler Austin is out at least 6 weeks with a fractured foot. Not a big loss, he was probably going to start the year in AAA due to the signing of Carter.

So, /r/baseball have been doing a list of the top 100 players going into 2017 as voted by the sub. Each team gets one voting rep. There's a lot of recency bias and maybe some overrating of rookies (Especially towards the back half of the list, but here is the top 25:

1 Mike Trout
2 Clayton Kershaw
3 Kris Bryant
4 Josh Donaldson
5 Mookie Betts
6 Manny Machado
7 Jose Altuve
8 Max Scherzer
9 Corey Seager
10 Bryce Harper
11 Paul Goldschmidt
12 Noah Syndergaard
13 Nolan Arenado
14 Chris Sale
15 Francisco Lindor
16 Anthony Rizzo
17 Buster Posey
18 Joey Votto
19 Carlos Correa
20 Madison Bumgarner
21 Corey Kluber
22 Robinson Cano
23 Miguel Cabrera
24 Freddie Freeman
25 Johnny Cueto

The introduction on how they rated players, and the players who had just missed, are here.

I am surprised at Donaldson being ranked so high.

So, /r/baseball have been doing a list of the top 100 players going into 2017 as voted by the sub. Each team gets one voting rep. There's a lot of recency bias and maybe some overrating of rookies (Especially towards the back half of the list, but here is the top 25:

The introduction on how they rated players, and the players who had just missed, are here.

Hopefully Yahoo is rank like this so i can keep Goldie, Altuve and Archer again..

Peter Moylan resigned with Royals on a minor-league deal with invite to spring training.

He was pretty solid for us last year and it's a minor league deal so I don't mind at all.

It continues to amaze me how underrated Matt Carpenter is

He's a top 20 position player and top 25 overall since he came into the league in 2012 (in a lot fewer PA than a lot of people above him). Ranked 75 on that list and was left off a top 100 by MLB last year (I think)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Don't you mean the Boston Beans?
8aE0pPW.jpg

Braves from 1883 to 1906.

(Braves have had some odd names).

Boston Bees (1936 - 1940)
Boston Rustlers (1911)
Boston Doves (1907 - 1910)
Boston Beaneaters (1883 - 1906)

Edit: also this definitely is a St Louis Cardinals name:

St. Louis Perfectos (84-67 W-L, 1899)