• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Moneyball_pitt.jpg

Oakland Athletics executive vice president Billy Beane said Sunday that he is committed to a full rebuild of the team, with an eye on being competitive when the franchise has a new ballpark.

He also said Sunday that ownership has committed to keeping the team's best players long-term when the A's are in a new home stadium. Beane said the franchise's pledge to find a new stadium isn't "lip service."

Beane made his comments after the A's traded relievers Sean Doolittle and Ryan Madson to the Washington Nationals for right-hander Blake Treinen and two prospects, left-hander Jesus Luzardo and third baseman Sheldon Neuse. He said the trade "fits into everything in the direction we're going."

"We need to be disciplined with [a rebuild], particularly with how aligned with what we're trying to do in the community as far as a stadium. There's only one way to open a stadium successfully, and that's with a good, young team," he told reporters, adding that the franchise under his leadership has "never really committed to a full rebuild."

Beane has had to tear down the roster of the small-market A's several times in his 20 years with the franchise, but he said Sunday that there will be a different philosophy once the team has a new ballpark.

"Really what's been missing the last 20 years is keeping these players," Beane told reporters. "We need to change that narrative by creating a good team and ultimately committing to keep them around so that when people buy a ticket, they know that the team is going to be around for a few years."

He again emphasized that the A's need to keep their players once they have the added revenue that comes with a new stadium.

"The important end of the sentence is rebuilding and keeping them. This is my 20th year on the job. There are only so many cycles that I can go through before I get as exasperated as everybody else," he told reporters. "Finding players has never been an issue for us. Keeping them and ultimately keeping the faith and commitment from people who follow the team, that's got to be done by keeping them around. Again, I've been assured by ownership that that's what we're going to do as it parallels with the stadium."

The A's have been at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum since they moved there from Kansas City for the 1968 season. The park opened in 1966.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported last month that the A's are focusing on three locations. The newspaper said the team is strongly interested in a 13-acre site near downtown that currently is headquarters of the Peralta Community College District. The Chronicle also said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf favors Howard Terminal, north of Jack London Square, and the team is considering constructing a new ballpark at its current location, the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

John Fisher was approved in November as the controlling owner of the Athletics.

"They've said they're going to by the end of the year identify a site in Oakland that's their preferred site,'' commissioner Rob Manfred said last week to members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. "I think that given the change in the control situation in Oakland that it was prudent for Mr. Fisher to take a year and make a decision as to what site he thinks is the best. That decision is a uniquely local decision. I really don't believe it is my job to have a preference for those sites. They know their market better.''

The A's have several other players on the roster who are likely to be traded before the deadline, including infielder Jed Lowrie and right-handed starter Sonny Gray. Beane said that when the A's make more trades they will be looking for the best available prospects, as they did in Sunday's trade. That too marks a change in philosophy.

"In the past, a lot of times we would take players that fit immediately into what we were trying to do and maybe passing on upside. I don't necessarily think that will be the case now," he told reporters.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...oakland-athletics-rebuilding-new-stadium-mind

clav

Boooooo, Tzu-Wei Lin got optioned, wtf...

Brock Holt is returning from DL.

Lin has been lucky ABs with an ISO of 0.080. Soft contact 26% and hard contact 29% are not great numbers although his walk rate is high for a small sample MLB size. He's mostly known for his defense.

Reportedly, Red Sox are shopping for an infielder as managers mentioned A's Jed Lowrie as a trading piece.

Trade rumor that the Red Sox have an interest in Cabrera and T.J. Rivera.
I wouldn't trade T.J. tbh. Has proven he can hit at every single level and plays cromulent defense everywhere in the infield but short. I'd need to pull a pretty good return for him and if we trade Cab to make space.

Sephzilla

The more I think about it, I'm not sure I want the Brewers making any big trade deadline moves. I'm worried about them sacrificing their future on an unexpected season that came about partially due to the rest of the division regressing.

Sanjuro

$30 million a year through 2023, his age 40 season, potentially to 2025, for a guy who'll maybe be worth 1 win this year.

But what's $180m+ to a Red Sox team that just lost $95m on Sandoval.

You give Detroit relief, eat a ton of money, and get a geniune Ortiz replacement. We technically still have Pablo.

Send Hanley off too for a defensive replacement at the opposite corner.

I wouldn't hate it.

Line_HTX

Brock Holt is returning from DL.

Lin has been lucky ABs with an ISO of 0.080. Soft contact 26% and hard contact 29% are not great numbers although his walk rate is high for a small sample MLB size. He's mostly known for his defense.

Reportedly, Red Sox are shopping for an infielder as managers mentioned A's Jed Lowrie as a trading piece.
Our local "experts" kept calling him Jeremy Lin.

He should get traded to Houston so that he'll have a huge following in this city, lol

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I don't know anything about oakland but i always like this rendering:

Both the A's and Giants are gonna need new locations later on in the century:

L3lMiD9.jpg

Either that or invest in some major levee systems.

49ers and Warriors too for that matter. Sharks are probably okay.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The Yankees and Red Sox are doing battle on the field – and they may vie for at least one trade target and possibly two.

Both teams had scouts in Chicago Sunday, and it is believed both had some level of interest in Chisox reliever David Robertson and Chisox third baseman Todd Frazier – though it seems that the Yankees may be more interested than the Red Sox in Robertson, and the Red Sox may have more need than the Yankees for Frazier.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I wouldn't trade T.J. tbh. Has proven he can hit at every single level and plays cromulent defense everywhere in the infield but short. I'd need to pull a pretty good return for him and if we trade Cab to make space.

Same here. I love him. I mean, sample size is still small for the big leagues, but I don't have a problem giving him another shot next year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sean Rodriguez activated. /cheer. His recovery from that car wreck was quick.
Both the A's and Giants are gonna need new locations later on in the century:

L3lMiD9.jpg

Either that or invest in some major levee systems.

49ers and Warriors too for that matter. Sharks are probably okay.
don't worry, the president says climate change isn't real.

Beckx

Sean Rodriguez activated. /cheer. His recovery from that car wreck was quick.

don't worry, the president says climate change isn't real.

no mere cars can slow him down if gatorade can't stop him

also SF should do what South Carolina did and make increases and sea level illegal.

Cardinals seemingly interested in Ozuna and Yelich. Makes sense, Marlins are often a common trade partner since they share the spring training facility.

Creates an interesting OF logjam, though, unless Piscotty is moved (unlikely after signing the extension earlier this year), not to mention a lot of CF prospects in the minors.

If they want to invest in the future while the Marlins firesale I'd be fine with that, but they need to sell Lynn and Rosenthal. Send them to the Nats.

BFIB

Cardinals seemingly interested in Ozuna and Yelich. Makes sense, Marlins are often a common trade partner since they share the spring training facility.

Creates an interesting OF logjam, though, unless Piscotty is moved (unlikely after signing the extension earlier this year), not to mention a lot of CF prospects in the minors.

If they want to invest in the future while the Marlins firesale I'd be fine with that, but they need to sell Lynn and Rosenthal. Send them to the Nats.

We need a power bat, no doubt. Marlins can have Bader, a few of our pitching prospects in AA as well that look to be on the rise. Right now, the only untouchable in our minors is Reyes to me. Everyone else is expendable. We have way too many prospects, and not enough spots.

Now I'm not saying to sell and go all in, b/c we are more than just one move away from being back in the top echelon. However, a big bat with control will make the offseason needs a lot easier to cope with. I'm right there with you, Lynn, Oh, anyone that we are not investing a future in (Grichuk) needs to be either DFA'd, or put in a package somewhere else.

Oh, and fire the manager.

gamz

The more I think about it, I'm not sure I want the Brewers making any big trade deadline moves. I'm worried about them sacrificing their future on an unexpected season that came about partially due to the rest of the division regressing.

Pretty much. It's like the 2015 Cubs. Theo wasn't going to go all out and they almost still got to the w.series.

zulux21

if the brewers make any trades it should be for long term assets or short term cheap assets.

maybe they make it this year, but while they are looking decent they have to know they aren't a great team.

that and the cubs likely will make a few more trades and are likely going to get hot. The cubs have a couple year window here and it makes sense for them to trade for pieces that fit that couple year window.

Line_HTX

RIP Carlos Beltran's glove. Laid to rest in the outfield by Reverend McCann.

DE-EUyxVoAA8VeP.jpg
DE-EdCuVwAEQQXP.jpg

Hopefully Rev. McCann blessed it with The Greatest Hit of Disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom