• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, thing is Benitendi quietly is putting good number as well.

the problem with Judge is that he doesnt have good protection and pitchers preffer to just give up the walk than to get beat by him. altpugh there was a batter breakfown a couple of night ago in mlb tonight tshowing how Judge is falling into some bad habits with his mechanics and compared on how Stanton adjusted his mechanics to find success , still I think all of this this is a product of getting frustrated on how pitchers have adjusted acordingly and pitching around him most of the time. Hopefully he figures this out.

This is true as well, Starting Rotation have exceded expectation which was the big question mark this season.

If anything, all the injuries have hurt this team the most than anything else.

The issue doesn't seem to be that he's being pitched around/walked. It's that he's striking out in like half his at bats. I think most people expected him to regress. This is probably something closer to what he really is (which is still really good), but the idea that a guy with the kinds of holes in his at bat that Judge has was really going to come in as a rookie and play like prime Barry Bonds for an entire season was always a pipe dream. He's likely more of a .850-900 OPS guy who will strike out a lot and still hit a lot of dongs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Mike Puma‏ @NYPost_Mets

Not surprisingly, interest in Curtis Granderson has picked up lately.

Chris R

Anyone have a suggestion for a good scorekeeping book from Amazon? Bummed I'm not getting ticket stubs at most stadiums any longer, want to be able to keep a memento somehow, and to chronicle the years of abuse the Mariners will continue to inflict on me until my last days.

BigAT

Dominic Smith looks like he should be serving hot dogs at the stadium, not playing in it.

THAT is the Mets second best prospect?

Caja 117

The issue doesn't seem to be that he's being pitched around/walked. It's that he's striking out in like half his at bats. I think most people expected him to regress. This is probably something closer to what he really is (which is still really good), but the idea that a guy with the kinds of holes in his at bat that Judge has was really going to come in as a rookie and play like prime Barry Bonds for an entire season was always a pipe dream. He's likely more of a .850-900 OPS guy who will strike out a lot and still hit a lot of dongs.
I understand his number going down based on what you said, but there is a big difference between his number getting normalized and someone who has 31 straight games striking out.

clav

I understand his number going down based on what you said, but there is a big difference between his number getting normalized and someone who has 31 straight games striking out.

Usually batters who cool down need to adjust to pitchers.

Yonder Alonso looked like a breakout candidate and made the All-Star team. Then pitchers made their adjustments, and he has barely hit any HRs since.

Joey Gallo is another example as initially pitchers unfamiliar with his hot zones just fed him HRs. His numbers adjusted since then.

edit: Looking at Judge's stats, I see ZiPS and Steamer projections didn't rate him as high as he is right now. Unsustainable BABIP and ISO considering the K rate he had in the minors, so there will be (is already) a huge slump.

edit 2: Most likely he will break out of it soon. His contact numbers don't look weird.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
z1buIM6.gif

He's in an ugly slump for sure, but in that same way he was also on an incredible hot streak to start the season. Neither are really sustainable and his true talent is somewhere in the middle.

Toth

He's in an ugly slump for sure, but in that same way he was also on an incredible hot streak to start the season. Neither are really sustainable and his true talent is somewhere in the middle.

As Michael Kay said today very eloquently, this is not a slump. This is now two months long. Even Headley came out after a month.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Who will be a better baseball player in five years, Tebow or Judge?
Well the experts on TV say Judge has been ruined by the All Star game and Tebow has the magic power of having played for the Florida Gators and the media loves him so i'm going to say Tebow. He has the passion to hit a slider on the outside corner for a hit while Judge doesn't look like he is having fun out there. Then again Tebow plays for the Mets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom