• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2019 |OT| Eat, Sleep, Baseball (Postseason not included)

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

You’ll get ‘em tomorrow, good sir
Fuck yeah

Really tight week 1 with whoever Brie Smollett-Cortez is. Could bounce either way. Fun week.

Edit: Oh, and Twins win!

kNH0dAh.gif

Last edited:
It’s been a tight matchup between Brie Smollett-Cortez and Hard Balls.

Basically gonna come down to runs and HRs tomorrow. Either been tied or neck and neck with those two stats, and RBIs to a lesser extent, for days now.

I made a terrible play with Strahm but at least it wouldn’t have mattered, I wasn’t ever gonna catch you in wins, whip, or ERA.

Surprised my early lead in runs got erased so quickly by midweek.

Best of luck.

Not that Brie Smollett-Cortez is my team’s name or anything

(Coughs)

It’s been a tight matchup between Brie Smollett-Cortez and Hard Balls.

Basically gonna come down to runs and HRs tomorrow. Either been tied or neck and neck with those two stats, and RBIs to a lesser extent, for days now.

I made a terrible play with Strahm but at least it wouldn’t have mattered, I wasn’t ever gonna catch you in wins, whip, or ERA.

Surprised my early lead in runs got erased so quickly by midweek.

Best of luck.

Not that Brie Smollett-Cortez is my team’s name or anything

(Coughs)

Ooohhhhhh. It's you. :p I guess I forgot who everyone is, well those whose league names don't match their gaf names. Should be an interesting day. Things can still tip either way. Good luck.

^ wonder if he breaks out this year. He's def got the stuff, just needs that command.

It's going to be extremely close for me in fantasy as well. Made a risky decision with my pitching and it doesn't look like it's going to pay off. Need some offense to bail me out of this mess

What a crazy game in Pittsburgh yesterday. Some mammoth moonshots slugged out of PNC.

And what a find by the Reds with this minor league invitee Dietrich. He demolished that ball. He looks like he might be a bit long in the tooth but if he keeps playing good baseball and putting up solid numbers I don't see any reason why he wouldn't earn a major league contract next season.

spoiler

What a crazy game in Pittsburgh yesterday. Some mammoth moonshots slugged out of PNC.

And what a find by the Reds with this minor league invitee Dietrich. He demolished that ball. He looks like he might be a bit long in the tooth but if he keeps playing good baseball and putting up solid numbers I don't see any reason why he wouldn't earn a major league contract next season.

spoiler
I’ve watched him play against my Nationals many times.

When I heard he had to settle for a minor league deal, I was a bit shocked. You can do far worse at the plate spending more money than Dietrich. Insane.

Havoc2049

What's up with the totally radical dude photo bombing my pic like it's 1984? Go Padres!
JDvVOAi.jpg

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I grew up in San Diego. I have fond memories as a kid at the old Jack Murphy, but Petco is a good park and downtown San Diego is a cool place
Cool. I grew up in Imperial Beach and then Vista.

Padres are looking good this year. They have a solid core in Meyers, Machado and Hosmer. It looks like Renfroe is playing up to his potential. Tatis looks exciting. Lauer and Luchessi look like a solid foundation for a young starting rotation and Yates has been lights out in the ninth. Should be a fun year.

Cool. I grew up in Imperial Beach and then Vista.

Padres are looking good this year. They have a solid core in Meyers, Machado and Hosmer. It looks like Renfroe is playing up to his potential. Tatis looks exciting. Lauer and Luchessi look like a solid foundation for a young starting rotation and Yates has been lights out in the ninth. Should be a fun year.

Nice. I’m an East County boy but I spent some time in IB after high school.

A parent of an athlete I coached works (or worked) in Padres administration. Some higher up in the marketing department I think. At the end of the season we would get group tickets behind home plate and get a bunch of food vouchers. Was always a great time. I always felt like Petco was a little “cramped” and Coors feels a little more comfortable but I take San Diego over Denver anytime, overall

I saw a game at Petco back in 2013 and its such a great ballpark. The Orioles were in town and Edison Volquez was on the mound. I told my friends we'd sit out in left field because Volquez had terrible command at the time but his 2 seam were the types of pitches Adam Jones liked to crush (great lowball hitter). He smoked one a few sections over and I looked like a prophet

My Petco story is my two best friends (not sports fans but liked going out to the park the food and drinks downtown) and I were at a game where Chris Young had a no hitter going through six innings. As you know, we’ve never had a no-hitter in franchise history.

So Young got through the sixth and everything is going great and I’m texting other buddies “dude it’s happening and we’re fuckin here!” and out of nowhere my friends, who drove us there also provided the ticket for free, say “alright let’s take off.”

I thought they were joking, and I stared incredulously as they stood up and began making their way down the aisle. I didn’t want to seem ungrateful, they brought me to the game for free and drove us there, all that, but I was like “guys he’s got a no-no going thru six! We literally CANT LEAVE!” but they didn’t understand. I explained about the history but they just shrugged.

I literally hear the hit that breaks up the no hitter as we reach the bottom level and to this day I think it was our fault.

Surprised we weren’t banned from the Park

Last edited:

Havoc2049

My Petco story is my two best friends (not sports fans but liked going out to the park the food and drinks downtown) and I were at a game where Chris Young had a no hitter going through six innings. As you know, we’ve never had a no-hitter in franchise history.

So Young got through the sixth and everything is going great and I’m texting other buddies “dude it’s happening and we’re fuckin here!” and out of nowhere my friends, who drove us there also provided the ticket for free, say “alright let’s take off.”

I thought they were joking, and I stared incredulously as they stood up and began making their way down the aisle. I didn’t want to seem ungrateful, they brought me to the game for free and drove us there, all that, but I was like “guys he’s got a no-no going thru six! We literally CANT LEAVE!” but they didn’t understand. I explained about the history but they just shrugged.

I literally hear the hit that breaks up the no hitter as we reach the bottom level and to this day I think it was our fault.

Surprised we weren’t banned from the Park

LOL....Awesome story!

Pretty wild that the Pads STILL haven't thrown a no-hitter.

I thought that Jake Peavy was gonna be the one to do it back in the day when he was Prime Padre

I actually think it would be cool if Chris Davis goes an entire season without a hit. At this point I say his streak is something we cheer for! Keep the streak alive! A perfect season!

I imagine baseball is not a fun sport for Chris Davis right now. I feel terrible for him.

Pillar just hit a grand slam and it was a blast. Not a cheapo at AT&T

I imagine baseball is not a fun sport for Chris Davis right now. I feel terrible for him.

Pillar just hit a grand slam and it was a blast. Not a cheapo at AT&T

He’s got 161 million reasons to be having fun. He’s lucky those contracts are guaranteed.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel for him. Just saying.

(I’m not trying to sound like a heartless fuck, I swear)

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Mets pitchers are a bunch of assholes, deGrom included, inexplicably (the cherry on top of the shit sundae was Jason Vargas, having had his turn in the rotation skipped, coming on in the ninth and coughing up four more runs). But Pete Alonso is a beast.

Mets pitchers are a bunch of assholes, deGrom included, inexplicably (the cherry on top of the shit sundae was Jason Vargas, having had his turn in the rotation skipped, coming on in the ninth and coughing up four more runs). But Pete Alonso is a beast.
Pete is very impressive. He’s scary at the plate

That feeling when you leave 2 guys with a combined 3 HR and 9 RBI on your bench:

araMSox.gif

Well, at least my Twins won and...beat up on deGrom...oh, he's...on my team too.

giphy.gif

So seriously, hats off to the Nats for that comeback win. Good game

Honest question:

I could be wrong about what I am about to say, and please feel free to correct me, but is something weird with Gabe Kapler's bullpen usage? His two best relievers are Robertson and Dominguez. The last two times I saw Dominguez, he was in during the 6th one game, and then 7th the next (last nights game). Robertson was used in the 8th the day before yesterday, and wasn't even used yesterday. Was his goal really to have Ramos end up trying to close out the Nats last night or was that just how the dice fell?

EDIT

Oh, and the Rockies really suck right now. Like, really bad. Charlie Blackmon looks lost in right field and if Freeland and Marquez can't be stoppers for us, we are fucked

Last edited:
So seriously, hats off to the Nats for that comeback win. Good game

Honest question:

I could be wrong about what I am about to say, and please feel free to correct me, but is something weird with Gabe Kapler's bullpen usage? His two best relievers are Robertson and Dominguez. The last two times I saw Dominguez, he was in during the 6th one game, and then 7th the next (last nights game). Robertson was used in the 8th the day before yesterday, and wasn't even used yesterday. Was his goal really to have Ramos end up trying to close out the Nats last night or was that just how the dice fell?
They play matchups. They don’t have a set closer. And iirc both have chocked already this year.

Perhaps he is waiting for someone to be reliable in stress innings?

Someone needs to grab a firehose and get these Nats off the Phillies pitching. Holy moly.

I’m getting crushed in fantasy :( feels bad man

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Hop on the Twins bandwagon. We've got some mojo. For how long - who knows.

Goddamn that 5th inning tonight. 6 walks in 7 batters (with the other one being a HBP) has to be some kind of record. Wasn't happy to see Syndergaard fall apart in the 8th, and then the bullpen threw gas on the fire as usual (and worse, tonight it was the two guys who are supposed to be reliable). But a win's a win. On to Atlanta.

greyshark

Someone needs to grab a firehose and get these Nats off the Phillies pitching. Holy moly.

I’m getting crushed in fantasy :( feels bad man

Not even halfway through the week - and most of our categories are all still pretty close. Plenty of time to blow my team out :)

PS I only realized today I was facing your team as I still assumed you had your original team name.

Goddamn that 5th inning tonight. 6 walks in 7 batters (with the other one being a HBP) has to be some kind of record. Wasn't happy to see Syndergaard fall apart in the 8th, and then the bullpen threw gas on the fire as usual (and worse, tonight it was the two guys who are supposed to be reliable). But a win's a win. On to Atlanta.

Yeah, that was absolutely unreal. One of the anomalies that makes baseball beautiful and always entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom