• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020 (Off-season/Spring Training/Regular Season) : Baseball is dull only to dull minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2019 Winter Meetings:

The Jays have inquired about every fucking starting pitcher.

Make something happen.

Literally what they do every single year.

"we're very interested in (top free agent)" then they sign some AAAAer to a contract. Rogers ownership has the money to actually hand our huge contracts to get those big names up in Toronto but they choose to penny pinch and sell overpriced tickets to go see an awful team season after season.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sorry I am late on news. Here we go

In addition to Stephen Strasburg The Reigning, Defending, Undisputed World Series Champions have also formally announced resigning Howie Kendrick ($4MM in 2020 with a mutual option for $6.5MM or a $2.25MM buyout for 2021) and Yan Gomes (2 Year $10 Million)

Phillies sign Didi Gregorius (1 Year $14 Million)

Giants sign Kevin Gausman ( 1 Year $9 Million) and acquire Zack Cozart from the Angles
I know Howie is getting old, but only $4M? What a steal. Guy is still putting up decent numbers (assuming he plays a whole season).

Didi at $14M for one year is ok.

Gausman at $9M? Awsul deal is his recent year repeats, but if he can get back to an ERA of 4.00 with 150+ k's $9M seems like a bargain.

Gausman signing is yuck and the Cozart trade makes no sense with Crawford, Longoria and Dubon all on the right on the infield. Even as a depth piece it's stupid unless we're counting on someone spending time on the DL.

That's a hefty chunk of change. I really didn't think any other team had a chance at Cole once they Yankees said he was their top priority tbh. It's been awhile but throwing around fuck you money is their game and you can't top franchise appeal + top dollar.

The Rangers have acquired Corey Kluber from the Indians. I wonder if Cleveland is going to tear it down and try again. I'm going to guess if they aren't looking competitive by the all star break they'll start looking at moving the other big names.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cole to the Yankees - 9 years, $324 million:

Its the Yanks. Cole's stats will balloon due to the pressure.

Expect Cole's ERA to go up a full pt.

greyshark

The Rangers have acquired Corey Kluber from the Indians. I wonder if Cleveland is going to tear it down and try again. I'm going to guess if they aren't looking competitive by the all star break they'll start looking at moving the other big names.

I think so - they’ve already gotten rid of two big arms, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lindor is moved sometime this year too.

I think so - they’ve already gotten rid of two big arms, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lindor is moved sometime this year too.

You think if that's the case they might try to move Clevinger as well? He's about 3 seasons away from free agency, probably about the time for Cleveland to have an abbreviated rebuild. If Clevinger does more of what he did last year, he could bring back a few high end prospects to help kickstart a rebuild.

My reaction to bumgarner to Arizona

source.gif

greyshark

You think if that's the case they might try to move Clevinger as well? He's about 3 seasons away from free agency, probably about the time for Cleveland to have an abbreviated rebuild. If Clevinger does more of what he did last year, he could bring back a few high end prospects to help kickstart a rebuild.

In the past I would have said no, you still need some good players to give a reason for fans to show up. But in recent years with teams like the Cubs finding success actively tanking for a couple years I wouldn't put it past them. Cleveland isn't a big market that will attract FA's though, would be interesting to see how a smaller market franchise handles a rebuild in today's MLB.

EDIT: 5 years $85 million for Bumgarner? Surprised he didn't break $100 million considering the rest of the big names were already off the board.

Last edited:
Madbum to the d bags is slightly better than the Dodgers but I don't understand this at all. Arizona are not exactly in a win now position and he didn't get his 9 figure contract. I can get not going to the AL because he likes to swing the bat but this was really his best option on the table?

Maybe his agent just sucks. Oh well. Thanks for the good times Madbum, I'll always remember the pant shitting suspense of 2014.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In the past I would have said no, you still need some good players to give a reason for fans to show up. But in recent years with teams like the Cubs finding success actively tanking for a couple years I wouldn't put it past them. Cleveland isn't a big market that will attract FA's though, would be interesting to see how a smaller market franchise handles a rebuild in today's MLB.

EDIT: 5 years $85 million for Bumgarner? Surprised he didn't break $100 million considering the rest of the big names were already off the board.
Bumgarner's been injured and on the decline. Last year his ERA was almost 4.00.

yeeeeeezy

Banned
I’m hoping my mariners can work out a deal to trade Hanover to the diamondbacks. Now that they’ve signed madbum it seems like they’re going for it.

Pretty shocking news to be honest. Jays are always interested and checking in with free agents but they never make a splashy move. AL East is Homer happy but Ryu is pretty good at keeping the ball on the ground and limiting hard contact. Main question is if he can stay healthy.

Encarnacion to the White Sox on a 1 year, $12 million deal:

They're not the Yankees, but they're making good deal after good deal to put themselves in contention next year.
You got to like the moves they are making, and have been making over the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom