• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020 (Off-season/Spring Training/Regular Season) : Baseball is dull only to dull minds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatnessRD

So the Astros are the MLB version of the Patriots. Yikes!

Doesn't matter to them though, they came and got what they wanted, a championship. So since the championship isn't taken away, none of this matters in the grand scheme of things.

So the Astros are the MLB version of the Patriots. Yikes!

Doesn't matter to them though, they came and got what they wanted, a championship. So since the championship isn't taken away, none of this matters in the grand scheme of things.
Id argue that losing draft picks and your front office are a big blow.

Keep in mind that that championship is tainted and celebrating it going forward is cringeworthy.

GreatnessRD

Id argue that losing draft picks and your front office are a big blow.

Keep in mind that that championship is tainted and celebrating it going forward is cringeworthy.
Yeah, it will be tainted to us but those fans and personnel that were there couldn't care less. Hope this means Mike Elias got some good tricks up his sleeve so my Orioles can too be champions! 😂

Apparently Rockies and Cardinals trade discussion of Nolan Arenado are advancing further.

Speaks to how close St Louis feels they are to winning, and how far Colorado is.

Edit. The talks have apparently gone no where

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The only way Manfred can fix this is by banning them all for life, telling the Player's Association to go fuck themselves, and putting Charlie Hustle in the Hall.

Not entirety. Manfred when he took office looked at his ban and held it up. All Manfred has to do is lift the lifetime ban and he can get in.
Or since MLB doesn't own the Hall Of Fame, they could do away with their rule of not allowing a player with a ban to not be elected.

Sure if the commissioner lifted the ban, he'd be in. However the Hall could just change their rule. Honestly it makes more sense to do it that way.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Charlie Hustle was talking about the Astros situation. He said hell, he bet ON his team, not against them. Which is stupid to do and it broke the rules, but ne never cheated.

He needs to be reinstated if he gets a lifetime ban and the Astros dickwads get a slap on the wrist.

Charlie Hustle was talking about the Astros situation. He said hell, he bet ON his team, not against them. Which is stupid to do and it broke the rules, but ne never cheated.

He needs to be reinstated if he gets a lifetime ban and the Astros dickwads get a slap on the wrist.
Hall ain’t complete without Rose inducted.

It is nice to see his accomplishments there tho

I'm going to say yes. 3 vacant managerial positions with a month away from Spring Training? I don't think teams have the time for extensive interview processes with unproven managers, they're going to want someone with big league experience. That leaves Dusty and Showalter as the two big names out there.

GreatnessRD

This goes to show that Manfred is a whole whore. This gets worse by the day and you're talking about you aren't going to discipline the players. I'm sorry about the Astros damn luck if they have to call up their entire AAA team to fill holes.

greyshark

On a whim I looked up the splits for the Astros hitters in the 2017 season - surprisingly their numbers were better on the road than at home.

Home: 395 runs scored, .812 OPS
Away: 501 runs scored, .835 OPS

Thought that was interesting considering MLB’s investigation stating the cheating only happened during the regular season.

This goes to show that Manfred is a whole whore. This gets worse by the day and you're talking about you aren't going to discipline the players. I'm sorry about the Astros damn luck if they have to call up their entire AAA team to fill holes.

I'm down for Manfred to be banned at this point. He has no idea what the hell he is doing and the way he views baseball combined with how he has handled this situation is embarrassing. He claims to want to make the sport better but nothing he has done or proposed has helped the sport, it's only made things worse.

I'm down for Manfred to be banned at this point. He has no idea what the hell he is doing and the way he views baseball combined with how he has handled this situation is embarrassing. He claims to want to make the sport better but nothing he has done or proposed has helped the sport, it's only made things worse.
Per the MLB findings, they "investigated" the buzzer rumor and found nothing. Mind you the rumors of buzzers wasn't invented yesterday! All it took to become National News was a single Twitter account (possibly burner) that had been right about news in the past 2 months claiming the buzzers were real...

If now MLB is forced to either really investigate or admit it was real, Manfred needs to step down

On a whim I looked up the splits for the Astros hitters in the 2017 season - surprisingly their numbers were better on the road than at home.

Home: 395 runs scored, .812 OPS
Away: 501 runs scored, .835 OPS

Thought that was interesting considering MLB’s investigation stating the cheating only happened during the regular season.

Thats not a good metric unfortunately. It doesn't take into account who was pitching. Perhaps they seen more 1-3 pitchers at home and more 4 and 5 pitchers on the road. Strasburg at Houston likely pitches better than Joe Ross at D.C. even with a cheaters advantage.

They had over 200 more Plate Appearances on the road in 2017. Same for 2018 & 2019. 2019 was the only year in these 3 that they were offensively better at home.

The truth is we don't know how extensive all this really is, how deep it goes. Perhaps after they ditched the trash can and monitor in the tunnel, they graduated to buzzers and members of team staff working replay. Will we ever know?

Last edited:

greyshark

And now Jack McDowell is accusing Tony LaRussa of steaming signs in the 80s (even though he never managed the White Sox while McDowell was playing):

La Russa is one of those dickheads who love talking about playing the game the right way too. Must be a lot like the male feminists floating around the internet. The louder you virtue signal the more likely you are to be a piece of trash

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
La Russa is one of those dickheads who love talking about playing the game the right way too. Must be a lot like the male feminists floating around the internet. The louder you virtue signal the more likely you are to be a piece of trash
I never understood his allure. I think it's due to baseball really getting a jump in media attention with the bash brothers, and his popylarity stuck. Nobody cared about him during the Chisox years.

He won 3 world series in 33 years of coaching.

His 3 wins came from Oakland and STL teams with bash brothers and Pujols.

His career win % of 53% is good as it's above .500, but nothing spectacular. If you exclude a handful of those stacked OAK and STL years, his career regular season win % is about .500 for the remaining 25 years of coaching, missing the playoffs most years.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I always thought it was BS that La Russa got into the Hall of Fame, while the majority of the great players he managed have been blackballed. I think MLB should end all the BS and let all the great 90's players into the Hall.

I always thought it was BS that La Russa got into the Hall of Fame, while the majority of the great players he managed have been blackballed. I think MLB should end all the BS and let all the great 90's players into the Hall.
MLB isn't a factor. They have nothing to do with it.

Oh well, my point still stands, the majority of La Russa's success came while managing a bunch of steroid monsters. If he is in the Hall, then Mark McGwire should be in the Hall.

Especially when you consider how he obviously knew and played dumb. Of course that doesn't factor into the "integrity of the game" conversation.

Congrats to Larry Walker for giving us Canadians some clout in the hall.

Mo getting 100% and not Jeter 😂 guy blew a world series 2 months after 9/11. Not saying he didn't deserve it but him over Jeter? the writers are back to their dumb shit with no one getting 100%? Combined with the usual Clemens, Bonds and Schilling snubs it looks like we are back to our scheduled yearly stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom