• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020 (Off-season/Spring Training/Regular Season) : Baseball is dull only to dull minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I do not agree with that old guy mentality of throwing at players because obviously it's stupid and you can seriously hurt someone just because they pimped a homerun, stared you down etc...

However these guys cheated, showed little to no remorse and seemingly don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. Have at it, pitchers. They deserve every beanball they get.

Usually I do not agree with that old guy mentality of throwing at players because obviously it's stupid and you can seriously hurt someone just because they pimped a homerun, stared you down etc...

However these guys cheated, showed little to no remorse and seemingly don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. Have at it, pitchers. They deserve every beanball they get.
Im at the same point

Don’t aim for the heads or legs. But wear one in the side for every team you play. Spread the love around.

The players receive no punishment. Apologies but more of a “fine here you go we are sorry, ain’t that better” and moving on.

I’ve reached a point where I’m tired of reading new tweets and hearing radio takes on “Nolan Watch 2020” every morning from the local coverage.

Trade him or don’t, Rockies, pick a direction and commit to it, enough with the bullshit.

I include Nolan in this too. We get it, you’re unhappy. Force your way out or play. Let’s figure it out and move on

Gonna be a long 2020 here

(this reply won’t get any reactions)

Last edited:

greyshark

I’ve reached a point where I’m tired of reading new tweets and hearing radio takes on “Nolan Watch 2020” every morning from the local coverage.

Trade him or don’t, Rockies, pick a direction and commit to it, enough with the bullshit.

I include Nolan in this too. We get it, you’re unhappy. Force your way out or play. Let’s figure it out and move on

Gonna be a long 2020 here

(this reply won’t get any reactions)

Your prediction on if he stays or goes? I would have assumed he’d stay at least until his opt-out, but in a world where Mookie Betts gets traded from one of the biggest baseball markets in the world who knows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the message is cheat in baseball with hidden cameras and audible queues and all you get a $5M fine, a couple coaches/management suspensions and lose a few draft picks.

I don't know about you guys, but if I was one one of the other teams, I'd be all gunning to cheat too.

A small price to pay to win championships.

Manfred on taking away the Astros title:

“First of all, it had never happened in baseball,” Manfred said. “I am a precedent guy. The 2017 World Series will always be looked at as different, whether not you put an asterisk or ask for the trophy back. Once you go down that road as for changing the result on the field, I just don’t know where you stop.”

You read that correctly. The man who wants to introduce a pitch clock, ban defensive shifting, move the mound back a few feet, turn the playoffs into a lame ass reality TV show and has introduced a rule this season that makes pitchers face a minimum of 3 batters, is a precedent guy. He doesn't like to do anything wild or out of the ordinary for the sport, he sticks to time honoured traditions.

Can we put this idiot in an Astros uniform so he can get beaned all season to? What a fucking lying cunt. Him and Crane must practice talking to the media with each other because their statements/accounts are so full of shit its surprising they spout that garbage and believe it.

Manfred on taking away the Astros title:

“First of all, it had never happened in baseball,” Manfred said. “I am a precedent guy. The 2017 World Series will always be looked at as different, whether not you put an asterisk or ask for the trophy back. Once you go down that road as for changing the result on the field, I just don’t know where you stop.”

You read that correctly. The man who wants to introduce a pitch clock, ban defensive shifting, move the mound back a few feet, turn the playoffs into a lame ass reality TV show and has introduced a rule this season that makes pitchers face a minimum of 3 batters, is a precedent guy. He doesn't like to do anything wild or out of the ordinary for the sport, he sticks to time honoured traditions.

Can we put this idiot in an Astros uniform so he can get beaned all season to? What a fucking lying cunt. Him and Crane must practice talking to the media with each other because their statements/accounts are so full of shit its surprising they spout that garbage and believe it.
Exactly. 100%. Couldn’t have said it better

ManaByte

Gold Member

I don’t know if the commissioner has won anything in his life. Maybe he hasn’t. But the reason every guy in this room is working out all offseason and showing up to camp early and putting in all the time and effort is specifically for that trophy — which is, by the way, called the Commissioner’s Trophy. For him to devalue it, the way he did yesterday just tells me how out of touch he is with the players in this game. At this point, the only thing devaluing that trophy is that it says ‘Commissioner’ on it.

greyshark

"It's sad for baseball," Trout said. "It's tough. They cheated. I don't agree with the punishments, the players not getting anything. It was a player-driven thing. It sucks, too, because guys' careers have been affected, a lot of people lost jobs. It was tough. Me going up to the plate knowing what was coming -- it would be pretty fun up there."

Mike Trout joining in the criticism. Manfred cannot let this go - something needs to be done before the season begins.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Mike Trout joining in the criticism. Manfred cannot let this go - something needs to be done before the season begins.

If he suspends players after promising them immunity to talk, the Players Association will go on strike.

Remember when Manfred criticized Trout a few years back for being too safe with the media? There you go Robbie, have yourself a soundbite.

The best player in baseball who is also one of the least vocal is saying something needs to be done about the 2017 World Series.

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I think the back-and-forth that’s gone on is not healthy. This is another topic on which we’re trying to be proactive. I met with half the managers here in Florida before I came out here, and I’ll meet the other half in Arizona. I hope that I made it extremely clear to them that retaliation in-game by throwing at a batter intentionally will not be tolerated -- whether it’s at Houston or anybody else. I think it’s dangerous and it is not helpful to the current situation.”

Cheat to win the World Series = OK
Throw a ball at a cheater who got off without punishment = Not OK

Cheat to win the World Series = OK
Throw a ball at a cheater who got off without punishment = Not OK

Imagine if they suspend players for throwing at these guys 🤣

GreatnessRD

He's such a clown, lol, I can't. On another forum I frequent, they were asking if Manfraud makes it through the season. I don't see a way that he doesn't. The Owners I'm sure have the upmost faith in him. Probably just hoping it pass by like everything else in life.

Unless somehow it gets out the Astros wore buzzers and he covered it up he should be fine. But I don't think the fans will ever let this blow over. He's going to be booed anytime he steps onto a field.

Ron Mexico

Imagine if they suspend players for throwing at these guys 🤣

Vegas has Houston at 83.5 HBPs this year. I may or may not have a few bucks on the under for this exact reason. Say the opening weekend of the season Altuve or Bregman gets beaned in a low-leverage moment. Baker will tear apart his own arm as badly as his pitching staffs by reaching for the Manfred speed dial.

As much as I wish baseball would go back to being able to police itself, watch their HBP be even lower than last year-- which was in the 60s I think.

Between Manfred and Tony Clark, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about moving forward here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Vegas has Houston at 83.5 HBPs this year. I may or may not have a few bucks on the under for this exact reason. Say the opening weekend of the season Altuve or Bregman gets beaned in a low-leverage moment. Baker will tear apart his own arm as badly as his pitching staffs by reaching for the Manfred speed dial.

As much as I wish baseball would go back to being able to police itself, watch their HBP be even lower than last year-- which was in the 60s I think.

Between Manfred and Tony Clark, there's not a whole lot to be optimistic about moving forward here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm personally taking the over on that. 81 games on the road, the fans are paying for blood. Throw in a few more at home and 84 HBP isn't that big of a stretch

Ron Mexico

I'm personally taking the over on that. 81 games on the road, the fans are paying for blood. Throw in a few more at home and 84 HBP isn't that big of a stretch

I know I sound overly negative here (and personally I'd love to see this 100+) but I just think the league would go suspension-happy if it were to actually happen. Ironic isn't it?

I mean, if it were me, I'd use my 3 batter minimum to hit 3 of them. Was actually how I played OOTP (great game btw)-- a HBP only cost my pitcher 1 pitch compared to 4 to walk him. #efficiency :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GreatnessRD

They need to beam the baseball at Manfraud's bluffin' ass first. I'm really curious to know if he'll make it past this season as Commissioner. It appears everyone takes him as a joke and for good reason.

That's a sacred place.

Just got home myself and started the Nats/Trash game. Dusty kept everyone out of it. I thought we'd see a spring training game with a chorus of boos today. Sucks man

Dusty has a plan. Probably needs all of them to shut up tho lol

Can't hit my players if I never put them in the game
highresrollsafe.jpg

Fox Mulder

This blows. I signed up to watch Braves games. I don’t have cable and mlb.tv is useless with blackout shit. Sling doesn’t carry the Fox Sports regional channels and Playstation Vue died. I believe Dish still doesn’t have these either.

GreatnessRD

Imagine if we could just watch Baseball without having to jump through multiple hoops.
IMAGINE!

It's no reason why any baseball game should be subject to blackout. Just fuckin' goofy. T-Mobile gives me MLB TV every year and it blows my mind that I can't view my Orioles even when I'm not in Baltimore. Last year I was in Atlanta visiting my brother and got blocked out. Even games in that area. I'm like, what? I don't even fuckin' reside here, whores! Clownish to the tenth degree.

greyshark

30 years with the team and actively conspiring against them? Don’t even know what to say at this point.

30 years with the team and actively conspiring against them? Don’t even know what to say at this point.

Astros pitchers spin rates going nuts make sense now 🤔

The mic'd up with players this spring are fantastic. They did it in the all star game last year and it was great, glad to see they are doing some more of it. I think they should be doing this every game. Ballplayers are hilarious, this would be an easy way to market players and expand the audience.

Edit: Freeman running the bases right now was gold, that's got to be all over the internet soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom