• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020 (Off-season/Spring Training/Regular Season) : Baseball is dull only to dull minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone going to watch some classics?

I just re-watched game 4 of the 1990 Series. Such a good game/series.

Game 4 was really interesting with some weird events.

* Eric Davis and Billy Hatcher both getting hurt early and had to leave the game/go to the hospital.

* An amazing swing and miss broken bat by Glenn Braggs.

* A Reds bunt rally in the 8th to win.

* Great pitching matchup between Rijo and Stewart with the form retiring the last 20 batters he face.

I still remember how surprising it was that not only did the Reds win, but that they swept that great A's team that was on a 10-game post-season winning streak going into this Series.

I'd love to see the Reds be dominant in the NL again. I still remember the Big Red Machine of the 70s, and Red's fans have suffered mostly since that 1990 fall classic, with basically the exception of a blip in the early 2010s.

I just re-watched game 4 of the 1990 Series. Such a good game/series.

Game 4 was really interesting with some weird events.

* Eric Davis and Billy Hatcher both getting hurt early and had to leave the game/go to the hospital.

* An amazing swing and miss broken bat by Glenn Braggs.

* A Reds bunt rally in the 8th to win.

* Great pitching matchup between Rijo and Stewart with the form retiring the last 20 batters he face.

I still remember how surprising it was that not only did the Reds win, but that they swept that great A's team that was on a 10-game post-season winning streak going into this Series.

I'd love to see the Reds be dominant in the NL again. I still remember the Big Red Machine of the 70s, and Red's fans have suffered mostly since that 1990 fall classic, with basically the exception of a blip in the early 2010s.

No way I was going to watch that series next. Just finished watching my Giants lose in a pathetic manner to the A's in 89 (terrible pitching + cold bats = sweep). 90 was next on the list, I really don't know much about the 90s Reds. I was too young to remember any of that. Looking forward to it, especially now with your recommendation!

No way I was going to watch that series next. Just finished watching my Giants lose in a pathetic manner to the A's in 89 (terrible pitching + cold bats = sweep). 90 was next on the list, I really don't know much about the 90s Reds. I was too young to remember any of that. Looking forward to it, especially now with your recommendation!

Cool.

It was a big surprise for sure, but I was happy to see the Reds shock the world. I'm not a Reds fan, but I do have an affinity for them due to growing up in the era of their glory years in the 70s. Enjoy!

greyshark

Great article on the criminally underappreciated 2005 White Sox

greyshark greyshark should get misty eyed reading this one. It is pretty unfair you hear about the BoSox and now the Cubs all the time but the palehose never get any mention. They were a great team

2005 was such a great season. They rode dominant starting pitching and elite defense to that title. Offensively they lost so much talent from the early part of that decade - Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, and Frank Thomas (due to injury) were all gone. Instead they relied on smallball led by Scott Podsednik and got timely hitting whenever they needed it. Even though you didn't get to see it much in the posteason, they had a great bullpen too led by setup men Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts and closers Dustin Hermanson and Bobby Jenks. I'll never forget Paul Konerko's grand slam in game 2 of the World Series - absolutely brought the house down in the bar we were watching the game at.

I'll say this - I used to be pretty bitter about the attention the underachieving Cubs franchise would get. They were a joke on the field for decades while the White Sox were consistently good from the time I started following baseball (basically the start of Frank Thomas's career). After watching them dominate that postseason and finally win it all, my anger at the Cubs (mostly their fans really) evaporated. My team was the champs, I didn't really care about the popularity contest anymore. Even though the Sox have been a disaster this past decade, I wasn't too proud to be happy for the Cubs in 2016 - that franchise deserved it, and they legitimately had the best team in the league.

2020 is a new decade - here's to the return of the White Sox!

greyshark

Quite a plan being worked by MLB - I don’t see them being able to make this work.

Quite a plan being worked by MLB - I don’t see them being able to make this work.

It's definitely something else. I'm nkt opposed to it at this point, the world needs something to turn their attention to. The only thing I really take an issue with is the 7 inning games. It reeks of Manfred wanting to shorten the game.

But other aspects (electronic strike zone, mic'd up players) are good things that in my opinion would be beneficial to the sport.

The season is either going to be cancelled entirely or played in a heavily altered state. I say just play ball so we can hear the Astros getting beaned with mics in an empty stadium. That's great TV right there

greyshark

It's definitely something else. I'm nkt opposed to it at this point, the world needs something to turn their attention to. The only thing I really take an issue with is the 7 inning games. It reeks of Manfred wanting to shorten the game.

But other aspects (electronic strike zone, mic'd up players) are good things that in my opinion would be beneficial to the sport.

The season is either going to be cancelled entirely or played in a heavily altered state. I say just play ball so we can hear the Astros getting beaned with mics in an empty stadium. That's great TV right there

My guess is 7 inning games will let them play more total games - even if they can't pack the stands there's still TV money they want to get their hands on.

I think I've been wrong with every guess I've made so far, but my bet is the season gets canceled.

My guess is 7 inning games will let them play more total games - even if they can't pack the stands there's still TV money they want to get their hands on.

I think I've been wrong with every guess I've made so far, but my bet is the season gets canceled.

Oh I get the logistics behind it, they're trying to cram as many double headers in as possible so they can play as close to 162 as they could get. But I would not be shocked in the slightest if this is a Manfred ploy to test the waters with shortened games.

greyshark

You not in there. I thought you joined this years league tho...

I got an email about the autorenew earlier this year but then another one that showed you deleting it the next day. I haven't seen any notifications since. I am in for this season - does my old team show up as unmanaged? Are there less teams in the league than last year?

I got an email about the autorenew earlier this year but then another one that showed you deleting it the next day. I haven't seen any notifications since. I am in for this season - does my old team show up as unmanaged? Are there less teams in the league than last year?
Different league entirely since a number of people didn’t continue.

I’ll restate the league before the season begins. If it begins lol.

Ok - does my team show up in the league? I don't see the league on my fantasy page. Assuming you'll recreate when the actual season starts?

I was wondering why you weren't in there. Couldn't remember if you passed up this year, I know a few from last year said they were busy.

Anyway guys, found this YouTube channel. He's been doing God's work the past couple weeks and uploading a lot of older world series games. Link in spoiler in case Manfred is reading this and DMCAs him.

I was trying to find World Series from the 70s (namely the A's and Pirates) during the winter but they weren't on YouTube. Nice to finally be able to watch it while we wait for baseball to return

Commissioners office also found no further signs of cheating from the Astros after 2017...
giphy.gif

They cheated in the title run, the Red Sox did not. Besides, it was clear from day one these were completely different situations.
Definitely

What bothers me is still to this day we have yet to get the answers about the Astros. No one believes it stopped at the end of 2017. According to the Astros it did...

However WHY DID IT STOP? What happened at the start of 2018 to have the team say "lets not".

Definitely

What bothers me is still to this day we have yet to get the answers about the Astros. No one believes it stopped at the end of 2017. According to the Astros it did...

However WHY DID IT STOP? What happened at the start of 2018 to have the team say "lets not".

Yeah, I think the idea that any scheme they had running might have spread to the Red Sox via Alex Cora somewhat alleviated those questions. AJ Hinch trying to save his ass by putting the blame on Cora like the bitch he is certainly helped to steer the discussion in that direction. We currently have no reason to believe the Astros thing really did stop in 2017 and with Manfred looking more and more incompetent by the minute, I guess we'll just never know unless someone snitch again.

Definitely

Beltran wasn't there to bully them 😂

Yeah, I think the idea that any scheme they had running might have spread to the Red Sox via Alex Cora somewhat alleviated those questions. AJ Hinch trying to save his ass by putting the blame on Cora like the bitch he is certainly helped to steer the discussion in that direction. We currently have no reason to believe the Astros thing really did stop in 2017 and with Manfred looking more and more incompetent by the minute, I guess we'll just never know unless someone snitch again.
Beltran wasn't there to bully them 😂
Oh that’s right. The blame of mastermind passed from front office to Cora to Beltran lol.

I really hope the season isn’t lost because these negotiations fail.

If this season even a mini season gets canceled I will rage. I need baseball in my life even if its boring, half the games and no one at the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom