• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2020 (Off-season/Spring Training/Regular Season) : Baseball is dull only to dull minds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking the owners is an impossibility though when even a team like the Royals sold for $1B. Again that's why I'm not on the "we're going broke" train. The profits are there for the taking if/when the owners sold those clubs. The MLBPA's closest thing they could do to "breaking" the owners is to remain in solidarity.

The average MLB salary is also a total misnomer. When you have 6 years of club control, most of your players are going to be playing for at or near the MLB minimum. It's the megadeals for a comparatively FAR small subset of players that disproportionately skews the average.

I'm by no means an MLBPA apologist-- I've said a few posts above that Clark is completely out of his depth and we're here because under his watch, there was one of the worst CBAs in the history of the game. The MLBPA has an obligation to its players to negotiate a fair deal. They failed massively and now (in part) here we are.

Manfred and Clark both need to step aside for the good of the game. Neither will do so.
I agree, nobody is going broke, especially the owners.

But 6 years of team control is bit misleading when team control includes arbitration. It's all about perception.

I also agree that Clark in particular seems out of his league and needs to step aside. He just doesn't have the negotiating depth to be representing the MLB players imo.

If anyone is interested in taking over a team in the NeoGAF Fantasy Baseball league please hit Musky up with your e-mail so he can switch us out. I am not going to be able to participate this year, situation has changed but draft has already happened so I can't just drop out, has to be a direct switch.

Would be doing me a favor, and the league a favor (avoiding having a dead no-activity roster). Thanks in advance
FYI I tried to delete the league. I cant.

I'll just create another when there is reason too

Fox Mulder

No baseball sucks, but this also killing my 10 year fantasy league is a real bummer. MLB is really great at killing people’s enthusiasm.

Even if they pull some short season out of their ass, everyone knows there’s another nasty shutdown after 2021 anyways.

Last edited:
No baseball sucks, but this also killing my 10 year fantasy league is a real bummer. MLB is really great at killing people’s enthusiasm.

Even if they pull some short season out of their ass, everyone knows there’s another nasty shutdown after 2021 anyways.

Baseball needed roids to restore interest in the sport after the 94 lockout. Its going to be tough for them to rebound from this season and then a potential stoppage in 2022. Bad times ahead for our beloved pastime

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only reason I'm not buying OOTP because I'm patiently waiting for the announcement of MLB The Show for PC next year, lol.
Last time I played a baseball game was MKB Show 06 or 07 on PS2. So were talking almost 15 years ago.

Best baseball game I played with awesome Matt Vasgersian play by play.

Although compared to OOTP, I have no iadea how good the game's sim management gameplay is if you prefer simming games, turn based at-bats, and checking boxscores.

The only bad thing was the CPU hardly ever struck out and homeruns had this cinematic angle which means when you saw that it meant it was a homerun 100% of the time. Kills the mood as I'd prefer to see outfielders going after it like normal and it ends up a homer.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Last time I played a baseball game was MKB Show 06 or 07 on PS2. So were talking almost 15 years ago.

Although compared to OOTP, I have no iadea how good the game's sim management gameplay is if you prefer simming games, turn based at-bats, and checking boxscores.

The only bad thing was the CPU hardly ever struck out and homeruns had this cinematic angle which means when you saw that it meant it was a homerun 100% of the time. Kills the mood as I'd prefer to see outfielders going after it like normal and it ends up a homer.

I haven't bought a baseball game since 2018. I have 19 through Playstation Plus but didn't play it. My favorite all-time game is MVP baseball 2005 and Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffrey Jr. They just don't make games like those anymore!

I haven't bought a baseball game since 2018. I have 19 through Playstation Plus but didn't play it. My favorite all-time game is MVP baseball 2005 and Major League Baseball featuring Ken Griffrey Jr. They just don't make games like those anymore!
I still have copies of both of those games. Classics.

When to comes to actually playing I have a bad feeling about the whole thing. I think games will start, some players will test positive and things will get shut down again. I'll be surprised if they get to 40 games before this happens. Hopefully I'm wrong though

Honestly hitting 500 foot bombs in Ken Griffey on the snes was a fucking trip. The big dick diving plays I made in the outfield were out of this world back in the day, if I was a twitch streamer back then I would be e-famous. Using the radar at the top of your screen to track where your player was going and where the ball was going to land was the only thing I've ever been good at in my life.

Honestly hitting 500 foot bombs in Ken Griffey on the snes was a fucking trip. The big dick diving plays I made in the outfield were out of this world back in the day, if I was a twitch streamer back then I would be e-famous. Using the radar at the top of your screen to track where your player was going and where the ball was going to land was the only thing I've ever been good at in my life.
I loaded the game up a few months back. Still plays like a fuckin dream man.

Also can't forget about the constant looping of this track.

I loaded the game up a few months back. Still plays like a fuckin dream man.

Also can't forget about the constant looping of this track.

I forgot how dirty they did him with that pic 🤣. I expect twitter to dig this up and cancel Nintendo sometime soon.

Last time I played was probably a decade ago, my buddy picked up a SNES at goodwill and a few games. We would predrink before going to the bars like a bunch of college jerkoffs and he pulled that bad boy out. Hadn't played in probably 10-15 years prior to that moment, I'm guessing it was in 2010-2012ish. Anyway I don't remember if I made a diving play or if I robbed a home run but it was like riding a bike, the game came back to me instantly and it was just a bunch of dumbass drunk kids screaming at the television over the huge play I just made. Such a great game, would be cool if Nintendo could re-release it somehow

GreatnessRD

I was talking about this version of MLB featuring the kid that was n64. I've never played the SNES version. I didn't have one of those growing up. Wildly enough, I always saw the NES is too kiddy and had a Sega genesis, lol.
220px-Major_League_Baseball_Featuring_Ken_Griffey%2C_Jr._Coverart.png

I was talking about this version of MLB featuring the kid that was n64. I've never played the SNES version. I didn't have one of those growing up. Wildly enough, I always saw the NES is too kiddy and had a Sega genesis, lol.
220px-Major_League_Baseball_Featuring_Ken_Griffey%2C_Jr._Coverart.png

It was really hard to keep track of the naming conventions for the Griffey games. That one was dope too but I swear the SNES game played a lot smoother

greyshark

Update on the Field of Dreams game - the Yankees are out because of the new schedule but might get replaced by the Cubs or Cardinals. Hope they still pull it off.

I agree, nobody is going broke, especially the owners.

But 6 years of team control is bit misleading when team control includes arbitration. It's all about perception.

I also agree that Clark in particular seems out of his league and needs to step aside. He just doesn't have the negotiating depth to be representing the MLB players imo.

The reason the MLB and ownership are scared is because there's rumors they're preparing for lawsuits from cable networks for breach of contract.

Cable networks want their money back after the MLB has failed to deliver two thirds of an entire season. For a lot of these small regional cable channels, Fox Sports, MS Sports, etc. Baseball season is their bread and butter for content and advertising. The loss of almost an entire season is catastrophic.

The rumor is the cable networks want their money back plus more for damages. These are going to be big lawsuits. The gravy train era of humongous TV sports contracts might be over for the MLB for a while.

edit: You won't see them happen though until after the season. The networks have to wait so they can put together all the losses for a case.

Last edited:
The reason the MLB and ownership are scared is because there's rumors they're preparing for lawsuits from cable networks for breach of contract.

Cable networks want their money back after the MLB has failed to deliver two thirds of an entire season. For a lot of these small regional cable channels, Fox Sports, MS Sports, etc. Baseball season is their bread and butter for content and advertising. The loss of almost an entire season is catastrophic.

The rumor is the cable networks want their money back plus more for damages. These are going to be big lawsuits. The gravy train era of humongous TV sports contracts might be over for the MLB for a while.

edit: You won't see them happen though until after the season. The networks have to wait so they can put together all the losses for a case.

I really hope this doesn't happen. Would be catastrophic to the sport. I am actually becoming really worried about what is going to happen with MLB over the next couple of years.

I really hope this doesn't happen. Would be catastrophic to the sport. I am actually becoming really worried about what is going to happen with MLB over the next couple of years.

Well for instance Fox pays the MLB about $729 million per year for MLB broadcasting rights. However with the Disney buy off it's freaking complicated because Disney bought the FSN Regional Networks but were forced to sell them off to the Sinclair Broadcasting Group.

They do pay the MLB annually but I'm not sure about the deets on contract and if any games are missed then the MLB won't get paid. If that's the case then there probably won't be a lawsuit.

I know that the MLB was in talks for an extension with Turner last month but afaik those talks got put on hold indefinitely.

I forgot to post this a few days back, but it is the 100th anniversary of the Negro Leagues. A bittersweet celebration for sure, as we remember some of the greatest who ever played the game that we sadly never got the chance to see due to how fucked up society was. As a catcher I have always loved the lore surrounding Josh Gibson. It is a shame we will never know the true extent of how amazing some of these players were.

And on a side note, I received an email from MLB.TV today saying we can get a partial refund for the season or use it as a credit for next year. Don't know if I want to get that refund (it has to be done by August 31st), since there are no guarantees this situation doesn't happen again next year.

As much as I love the sport of baseball and MLB, if another '94 were to happen, it would be hard for me to come back and forgive. I'd just enjoy OOTP as my form of baseball for the rest of my life. If these rich fuckers can't find a peaceful way to divide the pie, let it all burn - as far as I'm concerned.

Buster Posey has opted out of the 2020 season.

His wife just had twins who were prematurely born 8 weeks early and are in a very fragile state. Regardless of your position on coronavirus, we all seem to agree that those at risk need to be protected and I believe Posey made the right decision here. He looked fantastic in March and I believe his hip problems were behind him and he would bounce back significantly this year (so much I was going to take him in fantasy), but I can't fault the guy wanting to keep his newborns safe. Wishing the best for him and hope to see him continue his HOF caliber career next season

I guess the season is gonna happen. Should I (lazily) reboot the OT? Have this one locked and create another with the same vigor as the Commissioner has managed this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom