• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2021 Off Season Discussion Thread : Don't think, it can only hurt the Ballclub

Agreed - his tantrums about removing his name from next years’ ballot isn’t helping. I’m not sure I’d vote him in as a veteran if he’s going to disrespect the process so openly. Disagree fine, but if they’re so full of shit then are the other selections valid?
He probably feels the writers are being disrespectful of the process.

The ones opposing voting for him are open as to why and it isn’t related to baseball or his body of work.

greyshark

He probably feels the writers are being disrespectful of the process.

The ones opposing voting for him are open as to why and it isn’t related to baseball or his body of work.

The writers lost credibility with me a long time ago. Players like Ken Griffey Jr not unanimously voted in for the HOF is ridiculous. They are jackasses that think their opinions matter a lot more than they actually do, but that's the process we have. Crying about it on Twitter and burning bridges isn't helping, and I bet he'd regret it in 25 years if he never got in because of it.

The writers lost credibility with me a long time ago. Players like Ken Griffey Jr not unanimously voted in for the HOF is ridiculous. They are jackasses that think their opinions matter a lot more than they actually do, but that's the process we have. Crying about it on Twitter and burning bridges isn't helping, and I bet he'd regret it in 25 years if he never got in because of it.
Yeah I agree. He isn’t the first to have the voters showing their ass.

I would like to go through the writers personal lives and see if they have done anything objectional in their life. Why should they decide who gets in based on morals if they aren't squeaky clean themselves?

In other news, Tanaka is returning to Japan. Reportedly a 2 year deal.

I would like to go through the writers personal lives and see if they have done anything objectional in their life. Why should they decide who gets in based on morals if they aren't squeaky clean themselves?

In other news, Tanaka is returning to Japan. Reportedly a 2 year deal.
Iirc, they wouldn’t vote for people if they had bad blood with them. As payback

prag16

Banned
So where do we think Bauer is landing?

A lot of Mets fans don't want him. But they may not entirely grasp that this is not Wilpon World anymore. Get him on a relatively short term deal and fucking go for it man. Gotta maximize deGrom's remaining prime years.

And that potential rotation... deGrom, Bauer, Syndergaard, Carrasco, Stroman. Sweet jesus.

Last edited:

A lot of Mets fans don't want him. But they may not entirely grasp that this is not Wilpon World anymore. Get him on a relatively short term deal and fucking go for it man. Gotta maximize deGrom's remaining prime years.

And that potential rotation... deGrom, Bauer, Syndergaard, Carrasco, Stroman. Sweet jesus.
Heard the Angles weren’t in on Bauer, or rather weren’t strong suitors for him

I honestly can’t make a guess at this point

That's an absolute beast rotation. I still think the Jays could shock everyone and sign him. They need pitching and Rogers ownership could be willing to actually pay a free agent for once if it's a short term deal 1-2 years.

I don’t get why he signed another short term deal. His value will never be higher than it is this year - he should have cashed in now.
Bauer doesn't seem like the type of guy who cares about a payday. I think he'd rather have the flexibility to go wherever he thinks he can win on a year to year basis.

Didn't Detroit offer Scherzer a decent contract extension the year he won his Cy Young and was going into FA the next season? He turned it down and people said he was crazy, he had another monster year and got a nice deal with the team that shall not be named.

Bauer doesn't seem like the type of guy who cares about a payday. I think he'd rather have the flexibility to go wherever he thinks he can win on a year to year basis.

Didn't Detroit offer Scherzer a decent contract extension the year he won his Cy Young and was going into FA the next season? He turned it down and people said he was crazy, he had another monster year and got a nice deal with the team that shall not be named.
washington nationals scherzer GIF by MLB

greyshark

Easy to have that attitude in your prime - we’ll see what his market looks like when he starts losing velocity. I don’t view Bauer as highly as I did Scherzer, but maybe that’s my hindsight bias talking.

MastAndo

Gold Member
As a Met fan, I'm not even mad - just irritated with that drawn out process of Bauer obviously using the Mets to end up at his preferred destination. The rotation would have been pretty ridiculous, true, but those figures for 1.3 seasons of high level pitching is just absurd. Losing out on Springer was definitely the tougher pill to swallow.

I just hope Steve & Co aren't done with significant moves. The free agent market is looking pretty paltry, and can't say I'm too interested in JBJ. Finagling Suarez and Gray from the Reds, or Bryant from the Cubs is probably going to be tough to pull off (then signing Odorizzi or Paxton), but I would prefer those moves over Bauer at $40 and $45m any day.

Easy to have that attitude in your prime - we’ll see what his market looks like when he starts losing velocity. I don’t view Bauer as highly as I did Scherzer, but maybe that’s my hindsight bias talking.

Actually it kind of makes sense when you think about it. You're in your prime, you want to go somewhere you can win on a yearly basis. Then as you start to wind down you end up going from different clubs on a yearly basis anyway. You have more chances to win a ring if you move around whereas you can make a lot more money if you go for a long term contract with one team.

I wouldn’t like it if I was a Rangers fan

No kidding. Trading away a decent hitter and someone who can swipe bags for Khris Davis isn't the greatest trade to begin with but then you factor in how long he's been in Texas and it's going to make some fans unhappy. I wonder how this trade even came about to begin with.

No kidding. Trading away a decent hitter and someone who can swipe bags for Khris Davis isn't the greatest trade to begin with but then you factor in how long he's been in Texas and it's going to make some fans unhappy. I wonder how this trade even came about to begin with.
I can be satisfied with a losing team if I have young players who are projected to be the future, but I need a long time veteran too. Someone who is handing off the franchise.

Cards to resign Molina, 1 year deal. I could see him and Waino resigning until they win a WS again or they are no longer productive. St Louis is looking like a very good team right now though and I don't think the NL Central is pretty much their division with little competition.

MC Safety

New York Mess gonna New York Mess.

I'm wondering how many more embarrassments and accusations of/dismissals for sexual harassment my favorite baseball concern can fit in before opening day.

Sorry, prag16 prag16 . I was right then and I'm right now.

prag16

Banned
New York Mess gonna New York Mess.

I'm wondering how many more embarrassments and accusations of/dismissals for sexual harassment my favorite baseball concern can fit in before opening day.

Sorry, prag16 prag16 . I was right then and I'm right now.

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Reading about the LABR draft last night has stimulated my baseball appetite. Anybody up for a GAF roto league this year?

I'm down for fantasy but I don't think I'm buying MLB.TV this year so I'll probably be shit not being able to keep up with what's happening across the league

prag16

Banned
I'm down for fantasy but I don't think I'm buying MLB.TV this year so I'll probably be shit not being able to keep up with what's happening across the league
I'll have MLB.tv again if and only if T-Mobile gives it away to all subscribers for free again. Down for fantasy too. Also have a (small time) money league that may need a spot filled this year. The pandemic shit show season last year apparently killed some peoples' interest.

I'll have MLB.tv again if and only if T-Mobile gives it away to all subscribers for free again. Down for fantasy too. Also have a (small time) money league that may need a spot filled this year. The pandemic shit show season last year apparently killed some peoples' interest.
The Canadian dollar is shit and I'm unemployed so it's probably not a good idea for me to fill that spot.

Also RIP Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese why'd you go and leave us 😭

Last edited:

Guileless

I probably won't get MLB.tv either this year. The Rangers aren't close to contending and I get plenty of games from my cable package and ESPN+.

Nester99

Needs some help pals.

Which Jersey should i get?

Bichette?
Biggio?
Springer?
Guerrero Jr?

So many players gonna hit it huge in 2021!

Needs some help pals.

Which Jersey should i get?

Bichette?
Biggio?
Springer?
Guerrero Jr?

So many players gonna hit it huge in 2021!
Springer has Astros stench forever tied to him so not that one. I'd say Bichette, kid is a stud. Jury is still out on whether Vlad is going to get it together or if he's going to keep hitting the buffets

I get MLB.TV every year to watch all the Mariner games from the East Coast and suffer ... and this year will be no different.

Staying up to watch my Giants suck shit on the east coast isn't a lot of fun either. At least they started their games half an hour earlier at 6:45 instead of 7:15 now. Sometimes the games actually wrap up before 1am

Alright so a random MLB The Show tidbit, been screwing around in the moments section where you play as certain players and complete challenges. I'm doing the Honus Wagner inning and there's a challenge where you have to get 2 XBHs in a single game and the park is Polo Grounds. I hit 2 inside the park HR's, one to RF and one to LF, you just split the outfielders and then keep running. It wasn't even close at home, polo grounds is such a meme park.

I am addicted to this game and nerding out so hard.

Yeah the Polo Grounds had very unique dimensions. That's where the famous Willie Mays over the shoulder catch happened.
Yep wasn't it something like 460+ to centre? Imagine crushing a ball 450+ feet and some dude runs it down for an out meanwhile the next batter pulls a lazy flyball to left and it goes for a dinger at 265 feet xd

Last edited:

Guileless

I've read about it, and I think the estimate was that deep center was ~475 ft from the plate. They're not sure because the park was demolished and record keeping was obviously different back then.

The Mays catch is estimated at 420 feet. Supposedly the pitcher came back to the dugout afterwards and said, "well, I got that guy out."

I'm going to start playing The Show again and will be watching college baseball this afternoon at a buddy's house. The sun's out. Winter is leaving!

prag16

Banned
I have a fairly casual $25 fantasy league that most likely has a spot opening up this year. 10 teams head to head by category (6x6... it's 5x5 kicked up a notch). Anybody potentially interested? Except for you MC Safety. I am drafting all the Mess players, you can't have any.

I have a fairly casual $25 fantasy league that most likely has a spot opening up this year. 10 teams head to head by category (6x6... it's 5x5 kicked up a notch). Anybody potentially interested? Except for you MC Safety. I am drafting all the Mess players, you can't have any.
For $25 I'm in.

Top Bottom