• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2K is dead

One could conceivably argue that the 360 has never had a baseball game anyway. :jnc

I bought my PS3 for The Show, the other games were just a plus.

It would earn a decent revenue? I mean us 360 owners have been suffering long enough.

It just doesn't make sense to spend money on making a baseball game for this gen if the new machines are just around the corner (say the next year or two). I'd rather they spend the resources now to make a proper next-gen baseball game that could compete with The Show.

McNei1y

It just doesn't make sense to spend money on making a baseball game for this gen if the new machines are just around the corner (say the next year or two). I'd rather they spend the resources now to make a proper next-gen baseball game that could compete with The Show.

Good point. I may have to get a PS3 then. I havent played a baseball game since mlb2k10.

Jay Sosa

I was really hoping for a PS3 version of this great game:

51At6NOSBqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But I'm kinda starting to lose hope..

Speaking as a guy who's a big PES fan, is North America ready for the Konamization of professional baseball? We'd have team names like Toronto Blue, Bronx Stripes, and Boston Rouges. And players named Deter Jerek and Mitel Cabara.

I always found fake but recognizable names to be quite charming

Yeah, makes more sense to start on a new next gen engine instead. This gen is dead.

Izick

MVP_Baseball_2005_Coverart.png

just port this to 360 next year, update the rosters, touch up the graphics a bit, KEEP OWNER MODE, and you have a million dollar seller right there

If you give me this game with current gen graphics, and updated rosters, I would indeed be happy as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I was really hoping for a PS3 version of this great game:

51At6NOSBqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But I'm kinda starting to lose hope..

You can always play either the PS2 or Wii versions on the PC via emulators. Doesn't necessarily make it easier to get roster updates though. It doesn't look too bad upscaled.

If you give me this game with current gen graphics, and updated rosters, I would indeed be happy as well.

That game was so much fun. It's too bad that was the year we lost two beloved franchises with NFL 2K and the MVP series. I hate EA but if they reincarnate that series, I'd be there Day -1.

The NFL and NBA granting "exclusive rights" to make sports games with their respective licenses is actually a violation of Federal Antitrust law but so far they have not been prosecuted for it.

The NFL and NBA granting "exclusive rights" to make sports games with their respective licenses is actually a violation of Federal Antitrust law but so far they have not been prosecuted for it.

Does this apply to the UFC or WWE as well? What about movie licenses like Star Wars or Batman?

linkboy

Except both sports have anti-trust protection, and have had it for a while

codecow

Ken Griffey on N64 as well as All Star were inspirational to me the last time I was working on baseball. I liked the idea of having multiple players fielding in All Star if I'm remembering correctly.

C4Lukins

I wonder if EA is ramping up for the end of this deal or if they are just like fuck it. I would like to imagine they have had a crack team creating the best baseball game ever over the last 5 years. Not likely though.

McNei1y

I agree with posters saying that it wouldn't make much "sense" for a new company to create a baseball game with the next-gen so close and all but how difficult would it be for EA to mimic the MVP software and just make it current gen?

Remember: I am posting without any knowledge on how this shit goes down.

Kccitystar

I too would want to believe that EA's had some generic engine in the works for a baseball game ready to go after the MLB deal with 2K expires, but the guys who made MVP have moved on to other things either within EA or other companies. For example, I think Ben Brinkman (producer of MVP 2005) has moved on to work at Activision.

I've been playing MLB 2K12 on PC for a while though, and just like MVP Baseball 2005 on PC, the mods have made the game look beautiful. Still plays like crap but it's nice to look at.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah there isnt going to be any MVP next year.

http://kotaku.com/5916108/look-just-forget-about-a-baseball-game-on-the-xbox-360-next-year

The long, slow goodbye to Major League Baseball 2K has been widely expected for more than a year. Gamers therefore assumed that EA Sports—frankly the only publisher with shoulders broad enough to take on this kind of a job right now—would jump back in with MVP Baseball (pictured). You can forget about that happening anytime soon.

At E3, I spoke with Andrew Wilson, the executive vice president in charge of all of EA Sports, and put him on the spot. Will EA Sports get back into baseball on this console generation, or will it wait for the next round of hardware?

"So we just signed an amazing deal with the UFC," he said, smiling. "Amazing. It is going global. it is going cross-platform, and it is going to take a lot of our focus when we think about getting new things started anytime soon."

Except both sports have anti-trust protection, and have had it for a while

Only MLB has anti-trust protection. As someone already pointed out, NFL players sued on anti-trust grounds last year and in the '80s the USFL won an anti-trust suit against the NFL, but were only awarded $1, which was tripled to $3 under anti-trust penalties.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wouldn't take his (non-) answer as indication that they aren't getting back into the baseball game. Until they are ready to announce, they aren't going to say anything. Also, they just signed UFC, so they don't want anything to detract from that right now.

I still think we will see a EA MLB game on next-gen platforms next year, or the year after.

Eusis

I wouldn't take his (non-) answer as indication that they aren't getting back into the baseball game. Until they are ready to announce, they aren't going to say anything. Also, they just signed UFC, so they don't want anything to detract from that right now.

I still think we will see a EA MLB game on next-gen platforms next year, or the year after.
That's what I was thinking too, but it seems equally plausible that while EA's looking into it they won't have anything out next year, and as such they're giving a non-answer instead. I do expect we'd see a return on next gen consoles, I just hope they don't go for a full exclusive like with other sports given Sony's is supposed to be good.

... But then I never seriously played a Baseball game beyond Wii Sports after the Genesis, and that was one game I may've rented but didn't own. Maybe it's worth giving a fair shot sometime, I liked Virtual Concept's stuff on Genesis and I liked NBA Jam, but I can't get into Football realistic or arcadey. And can't stand watching any sport for that matter, but that's beside the point.

Top Bottom