• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2K9 screens

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Windu said:
Yeah a little too many ads. But their camera system is a thing of beauty. Love it.

The hands on sounds good. Especially hit variety. AI and frame rate could definitely be fixed before release.

_Angelus_

Banned
Just for once I wish somebody would make a baseball game with the old over the head R.B.I. batting perspective. Give it to us as an extra camera angle and I would be quite happy. I think maybe the last realistic bb game to do that was maybe Sega's baseball game on the Saturn?

Anyways this game looks good,as does Sony's game. I'll probably be buying both this and The Show,because both still have areas where the other excels,and I can't live with knowing I'm confined to one game,I want both. The commentary in this game destroys what the Show offers to me,it can get better I suppose but they ain't sportin' Gary Thorne either. That guy has a sweet voice for play calling.

Coop

I forgot this is coming out on the PC. Did anybody play NBA2k9 for the PC? How did that compare to the console versions. Might be worth the 20 bucks with all the mods that could come out for it.

Kccitystar

Coop said:
I forgot this is coming out on the PC. Did anybody play NBA2k9 for the PC? How did that compare to the console versions. Might be worth the 20 bucks with all the mods that could come out for it.

The guys that had worked on the MVP Baseball 2005 mods are going to have to work really hard to crack the files that will end up storing textures in MLB 2K9

Demo supposedly coming out tomorrow.

Admin at 2k forums

"Hey guys,
First of all, for those who didn't know, I was out in Europe this past week for work. I just returned to the office a couple hours ago, but that explains why I haven't been here.

The demo is scheduled for release tomorrow, which if I understand correctly, is early in the morning when MS usually releases their demos. PS3 is in their hands, no announcement about that yet but I have been told it will be this week.

Ronnie"

1118cjb.jpg

2 things:
1. Where the fuck are the numbers, letters and clock hands for the damn scoreboard? Seriously, it looks too damn naked.
2. (The Obvious) The huge, unnecessary state farm billboard in left-center. There better be an achievement for hitting it or something.

So im actually really liking this demo. I havent played it much but I like it. Last year's demo left a bad taste but this seems...improved.

CaptainCamerica said:
1118cjb.jpg

2 things:
1. Where the fuck are the numbers, letters and clock hands for the damn scoreboard? Seriously, it looks too damn naked.
2. (The Obvious) The huge, unnecessary state farm billboard in left-center. There better be an achievement for hitting it or something.

Give them a break. It is a huge deal doing the setup for and making 30 working scoreboards. Especially when all of them are unique in design.

Just played a game...

- HUGE frame rate improvement. I didn't notice any drop offs
- Hit variety!

One of my biggest critiques of baseball games is that there usually feels like a disconnect between the timing and location of a swing and where the ball goes and how hard it was hit. The variety and accuracy of hits I had in my first game was not only impressive, but it may be the most realistic I've seen out of a baseball game. That alone is what made MVP '05 infinitely replayable for me. When I was playing defense I could tell when their batter crushed the ball by the sound of the ball off that bat. I can't really remember a game where the sound of the ball off the bat actually helped me play defense. I've only played a three inning game, but I'm really impressed with what they've done with the hitting. Analog stick hitting is actually FUN when the ball responds accordingly to your actions.

- Presentation

I hate that I'm saying this because treating a video game like a TV broadcast irritates me, but there were times where I wasn't pressing A to get to the next batter because I was getting lost in the broadcast. When the game gets released I will definitely turn all of this stuff off, but it was very immersive.

- Pitching

Still hate the Skate style pitching controls

- Fielding

Way more responsive. Never felt like I was fighting my fielder.

-----

I had no intention of buying 2k9, because the last few versions of the game were so atrocious. Damnit...

Is the game really as good as the demo makes it seem?

Well, I am shocked, what a one year turnaround. The main thing I like about the game is it's very fun. I played the demo three strait times and want to play it some more even thought I can't stand the Phillies or the Rays. Graphics look pretty good. Stadium looks pretty good. Commentary is some of the best ever heard in a sports game. Presentation is really nice. Frame rate is so smooth.

Played through 2 more times and im honestly loving it. Ive never really been a fan of those pitching controls but I think im gonna give them a shot this year...starting to finally get the hang of them.

Will definitely pick this up sometime next month.

HoTHiTTeR

Wow, it's so much better than 2k8! Down 3-1 going into the 3rd utley doubles, cpu walks Howard and Ibanez hits the 3rd pitch hanging curve ball out to right field. Phillies win in a walk off.

...and yah, so much more hit variation, its not even funny - and the framerate is 2k7-esque, not that monstrosity that was 2k8.

What cracks me up is the authenticity of Steve Phillips. I joke with my friends that whenever possible Joe Morgan will mention his career accomplishments and hall of fame status, and Steve Phillips will mention any successful players he drafted while GM of the Mets.

Sure enough, Scotty Kazmir on the mound and as Phillips is talking about how great of a pitcher he is, he mentions that he drafted him as GM of the Mets. For a guy that was fired, he sure isn't modest...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's a big improvement with the game mechanics. You don't feel separated from the player pitching or hitting like you did with last years version. Also, whatever bug that was reported about the computer swinging at everything is not there.

I thought the running controls were a little iffy. And the outfielders still feel a bit odd to me. No big deal.

Game is pretty damn ugly imo. Models and animation are simply horrid. Sports games shouldn't have animation like this, they still look like broken robots sometimes, but at least they don't feel like it anymore. I lol'd when I saw some of the faces and arm movements.

I love batting. It works with the analog so much better now. I like the stat overlays you can call up too. In general, this demo should have shown more of the alternate controls to you! I had to just try out everything. Is there a way for me to change my pitcher, they were left and right!

Commentary is fluid, but this color guy is generic crap. Love the play by play though.

Solid, sure hope the rest of this game is good. It looks like a rebuilding effort but it doesn't feel like crap like last year. I'm a baseball fanatic so I could see picking this game up to though it feels like a 2nd runner to the two console owner.

Also, it must be said the ads in this game are indefensible. Soooo offputting.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DeaconKnowledge said:
I can't get excited for this game at all. The MLB 2K baseball series is inferior to the dead MVP baseball and MLB the Show in every way.

That's true, but there's a lot of gamers who have no choice. At least it's not as flat out broken as last year. Not the demo at least.

Warm Machine said:
Give them a break. It is a huge deal doing the setup for and making 30 working scoreboards. Especially when all of them are unique in design.
Well they could of at least but the clock hands at 10:10 or something.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Well sounds much better from your impressions. I wish my Xbox wasn't broken (they want me to pay $100 to fix the damn thing, fuckers). I assume this will be on the PSN soon too? I would love to check this out. I love the presentation stuff in this year's game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
shpankey said:
If I can't tame The Show 09's batting, I may end up here too. Glad to hear it's so much better.

Give yourself some time. Batting here is much easier though. I'm sure you can move sliders for both games though.

shpankey

not an idiot
Is there a bat speed slider in The Show? I just want it to bat the same as 08, or close to it... where I feel it was damn near perfection.

I know the framerate for batting in TS09's demo is supposedly on 30fps whereas the full retail's is supposed to be 60 (like TS08) so I'm hoping that will also help me.

JBuccCP

I think they improved the game about as much as one could realistically expect in one year considering the mess the series was left in by the old team.

The frame rate is almost always smooth, and the presentation is great. Hit variety is much better, although too many of the balls seem to follow the same looping path, there's still room to improve. I wish you could try the cursor hitting in the demo.

The non-signature animations are still pretty bad in spots. That is one area they need to work on next year is the normal running and throwing animations. There's also not very many little things that the show does so well, like park specific homerun celebrations.

Overall though I've had a lot of fun with the demo. I'll probably end up getting it.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm enjoying the demo quite a bit. It's fun, if PEPSI a little clunky with some STATEFARM ugly animations. I agree totally that PEPSI it's a realistic STATEFARM growth from where it was last PEPSI year.

I'll probably STATEFARM pick up a copy or at least PEPSI long term rent to play with Xbox STATEFARM friends.

shpankey said:
If I can't tame The Show 09's batting, I may end up here too. Glad to hear it's so much better.

watch the ball out the pitchers hand, concentrate on every pitch, have a good eye at the plate, like real life. Ive become very good at hitting, the show is the best baseball game ever imo.

Windu

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm enjoying the demo quite a bit. It's fun, if PEPSI a little clunky with some STATEFARM ugly animations. I agree totally that PEPSI it's a realistic STATEFARM growth from where it was last PEPSI year.

I'll probably STATEFARM pick up a copy or at least PEPSI long term rent to play with Xbox STATEFARM friends.
Wow, sounds PEPSI!

yeah, they seemed to go a little overboard with the ads.

shpankey

not an idiot
dreamer3kx said:
watch the ball out the pitchers hand, concentrate on every pitch, have a good eye at the plate, like real life. Ive become very good at hitting, the show is the best baseball game ever imo.
If I haven't "got it" by now, I'm not going to. But as I said, the full version has 60fps (vs 30 in the demo) in batting, so I'm confident that will help me. Besides, it not a matter of not knowing what to do, I've been playing baseball games for decades and am a HUGE sports fan in real life and in gaming. I know what to do and how to do it, I apparently just can't in the 09 demo. Again, I bat fine in 08, just as I did in MVP and in High Heat and a lot of old baseball games. But if this is caused purely by the bat speed increase, I may be out of luck... though even then, I think the increase in frames will help me tremendously.

But it's worth noting, if I can't do it, a noted gamer and sports gamer in particular, I wonder how the casual gaming or traditionally non hardcore sports gamer will faire. This leads me to think it may be a bleak future for any "cross-over" potential. Personally, I think they shouldn't have increased the bat speed save for the higher difficulties... why make it so much more difficult by default? I want to see the userbase of this awesome series GROW, not be repelled away by some intense learning curve.

JB1981

Played the demo. It's alright I guess. Still don't understand how to pitch. The fielding is way too responsive and the players move so fucking fast :lol

The lighting is nice. The framerate is nice. The player models and faces are very simple. Graphically this game has nothing on The Show. There is nothing here to sway any hardcore baseball fan from going with The Show this year (if you have a Ps3). It's an improvement on last year but the series still has a ways to go.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've got to say that after several more playthroughs a lot of the luster is coming off for me.

I've had player miss balls now due to odd path taking, button registers go crazy during throws and most annoyingly, my runners just failed to advance during a bases loaded situation while the ball rolled around in the outfield. Me hammering on the advance, or hoping even the assist would just come on and save the play.

Same old. Anyhow, it's a shame because you can see how they emulated a few things from the MVP playlist and the flick controls are pretty neat. I think I'll put it in my gamefly queue but I'm definitely avoiding the costly mistake.

I think IGN will give this game an 8.74503

Musashi Wins! said:
I think IGN will give this game an 8.74503

I'm thinking it's more of an 8.74513 :D

I've played three games and my only gripe so far is when playing the field it seems like you can't load up a throw before your guy catches the ball. It has made for some weird timing issues when I try to make a throw in the green zone.

Thus far I'm really happy with the hitting, but aside from that I'm not going to put too much stock into the demo because of how much isn't there. Meaning... when you hit pause all you can do is resume game, choose sides, and quit. Clearly they stripped a lot out of the game for this demo. It's out in a week, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the full version brings.

shpankey said:
If I haven't "got it" by now, I'm not going to. But as I said, the full version has 60fps (vs 30 in the demo) in batting, so I'm confident that will help me. Besides, it not a matter of not knowing what to do, I've been playing baseball games for decades and am a HUGE sports fan in real life and in gaming. I know what to do and how to do it, I apparently just can't in the 09 demo. Again, I bat fine in 08, just as I did in MVP and in High Heat and a lot of old baseball games. But if this is caused purely by the bat speed increase, I may be out of luck... though even then, I think the increase in frames will help me tremendously.

But it's worth noting, if I can't do it, a noted gamer and sports gamer in particular, I wonder how the casual gaming or traditionally non hardcore sports gamer will faire. This leads me to think it may be a bleak future for any "cross-over" potential. Personally, I think they shouldn't have increased the bat speed save for the higher difficulties... why make it so much more difficult by default? I want to see the userbase of this awesome series GROW, not be repelled away by some intense learning curve.

I had the reverse issue, I hit ten times better in the 09 demo than I did in 08. *shrugs*

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You can totally spam home runs like in basic MVP :lol Hit 4 in a row once.

I think they made improvements, I wish it were a tighter experience, but they had a major rebuilding project on their hands. It feels a gen behind the competition.

alanias

Musashi Wins! said:
You can totally spam home runs like in basic MVP :lol Hit 4 in a row once.

I think they made improvements, I wish it were a tighter experience, but they had a major rebuilding project on their hands. It feels a gen behind the competition.

It does feel behind in terms of the engine, but I really like the swing and hit mechanics. Kind of wish the show had those mechanics as an option, then it would be the perfect baseball game.

Played one game (3 inning so far).

First off, the graphics are horrendous. I have a 46' 1080p HDTV and the game is just down right butt ugly.

Other than that? I had fun. It's a lot arcadier than MLB 09 Show but the controls are pretty great.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
daycru said:
I don't understand the pitching at all but it seems okay. I really like the analog base running.

It's quite easy. First movement to fill up the circle (it's a timed mini game) second movement finished to confirm the pitch type.

daycru

Musashi Wins! said:
It's quite easy. First movement to fill up the circle (it's a timed mini game) second movement finished to confirm the pitch type.
I feel so dumb, I was trying to do both movements at the same time a la a fighting game, no wonder I kept throwing gopher balls :lol

Do they not have replays in this game? I hit a walk-off 3 run home run and the player rounded the bases and the game just ended. Nothing special, no replay, nothing. How bland...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Stormwatch said:
Do they not have replays in this game? I hit a walk-off 3 run home run and the player rounded the bases and the game just ended. Nothing special, no replay, nothing. How bland...

Obviously a lot is ripped out of the demo. The random camera angles are really jarring and ugly though.

daycru

Played the demo a few times. It's okay IMO. Not good or bad, just okay. Will buy once a couple of price drops hit. As a baseball nut with no PS3 it's my only game.

Windu

ooo I see that the demo is up on PSN. Downloading now. I'm excited to see the real-time presentation stuff.

Top Bottom