• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
Sure that's reasonable I'm just saying the logic and rationale of not wanting to trade a guy within your own division is stupid.

If you think the players and prospects you're receiving is better than the players and prospects you are giving up then you should be especially willing to pull the trigger on a deal within the division as it not only improves your team but directly weakens a division rival as well.
I don't think Brown is that hot a prospect. Dude looked lost half the season, I'd want to see who the 3rd guy is.

MaddenNFL64

I blame TBS in the late 90's & early 2000's for making me a braves fan. Late night replays. You could chill to some Braves games before you slept. It was like a virus.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kuroyume said:
With Beltran and K-Rod gone don't the Mets don't have some room to at the least sign a decent pitcher?

Mets spending any kind of significant money on a FA is a mistake. They are realistically not going to compete in 2012.

Maxim726X

The Frankman said:
I don't think Brown is that hot a prospect. Dude looked lost half the season, I'd want to see who the 3rd guy is.

Brown's a stud. I don't see how the Mets could do better than that, to be honest with you. Also read that the Rockies were interested at one point... That could be a good deal in the making.

Hey, the Braves were ready to give Burnett a 5-year, $75 million deal until the Yankees stepped in and outbid them. :)

The Mets are going to be just fine in 2012. They still have those studs Bret Saberhagen, Bobby Bonilla, and Tom Glavine on the payroll!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
Hey, the Braves were ready to give Burnett a 5-year, $75 million deal until the Yankees stepped in and outbid them. :)

The Mets are going to be just fine in 2012. They still have those studs Bret Saberhagen, Bobby Bonilla, and Tom Glavine on the payroll!
i knew Bonilla was still on the payroll but they are still paying Saberhagen and Glavine?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just Like to say:
Fuck the cardinals
Fuck the rangers
Fuck the random packers fan that basically said fuck all of texas as if we were all rooting for the Rangers.

Most importantly fuck the MLB and Bud Selig for holding the Astros hostage and attempting to move them to the AL.

Ondore

Saw in the last thread about how Toronto might kick the tires on Ortiz... if it's a 1-2 year deal with a shitton of incentives, I wouldn't mind it. I mean, I enjoyed '98 where Canseco hit 46 HR and kicked off the steroid era. I just hope he doesn't demand the 1B job.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
captive said:
Just Like to say:
Fuck the cardinals
Fuck the rangers
Fuck the random packers fan that basically said fuck all of texas as if we were all rooting for the Rangers.

Most importantly fuck the MLB and Bud Selig for holding the Astros hostage and attempting to move them to the AL.

Why are you against the Astros moving to the AL?

I honestly don't get it. Moving to the AL West would be a good thing for the Astros.

Maxim726X

Ondore said:
Saw in the last thread about how Toronto might kick the tires on Ortiz... if it's a 1-2 year deal with a shitton of incentives, I wouldn't mind it. I mean, I enjoyed '98 where Canseco hit 46 HR and kicked off the steroid era. I just hope he doesn't demand the 1B job.

I can't see Ortiz leaving Boston. That would just be strange... Is this something that seriously may happen?

Oxx

MaddenNFL64 said:
I blame TBS in the late 90's & early 2000's for making me a braves fan. Late night replays. You could chill to some Braves games before you slept. It was like a virus.

It's all TBS' fault. I was only on vacation in the US for two weeks and that was enough to get me into baseball.

Windu said:
i knew Bonilla was still on the payroll but they are still paying Saberhagen and Glavine?
Deferred money, although the payments for Glavine may be over.

Mets are paying Bonilla $1.2 million a year through 2036. Mets are paying Saberhagen $250,000 a year through 2029.

Maxim726X

AnEternalEnigma said:

Mets are paying Bonilla $1.2 million a year through 2036. Mets are paying Saberhagen $250,000 a year through 2029.

Bullshit... I know about Bonilla. But Saberhagen too??

Ondore

Maxim726X said:
I can't see Ortiz leaving Boston. That would just be strange... Is this something that seriously may happen?

From here:
Via MLBTR

The Blue Jays will discuss the possibility of signing David Ortiz this winter, reports Richard Griffin of The Toronto Star. GM Alex Anthopoulos cautioned that he would be "doing his due diligence" more than anything, but Griffin says he's likely to have preliminary talks with Ortiz's agent once the free agency period begins.

The Jays do have several things working in their favor when it comes to wooing Ortiz to Toronto. The slugger knows manager John Farrell from his four seasons as the Red Sox's pitching coaching, and Ortiz is friends with Jose Bautista.

It's only discussions, but the signs are there. And Toronto has been a popular place for people bailing out of Boston in the past (see: Clemens, Roger)

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:

heh, interesting
captive said:
Just Like to say:
Fuck the cardinals
Fuck the rangers

i prefer to get rid of divisions but if we were to keep them then i think the best idea is something like this.

Eastern League (NO DH Muhahahaaha): 14 teams

East 1

Braves
Reds
Pirates
Marlins
Nationals
Phillies
Mets

East 2

Tigers
Indians
Blue Jays
Rays
Orioles
Yankees
Red Sox

No Ratings League: 16 teams

Central

Astros
Cardinals
Brewers
Cubs
Twins
Royals
Rangers
White Sox

West

Giants
Dodgers
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Mariners
A's
Angels

best i could get it without adding more teams. I tried to basically match up all of the time zones.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
darkside31337 said:
Why are you against the Astros moving to the AL?

I honestly don't get it. Moving to the AL West would be a good thing for the Astros.
because they are using it as a way to fuck with Mclane/Crane. Because Mclane announced the sale way back in May, even though Selig asked them not to. And because Crane has that whole shady business history. So its not really about moving to the AL. Meanwhile the team is pretty much held hostage because the sale is in limbo. If the Astros were a playoff team they wouldn't be jacking with them.

But the AL sucks, real baseball is played in the NL. The Astros have always been an NL team.

Because we are in Central Standard time, so a good chunk of our road games would come on at 9pm here. This messes with the TV ratings and deals that Crane was expecting to have with the purchase of the Astros.
It makes no sense to move them to a West division. But don't even get me started on teams placements in divisions in the MLB or NFL, some of them lack any sense what so ever.

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/09/...ng-Astros-/landing_astros.html?blockID=560090

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
If Theo allows Fried Chicken and Beer in the clubhouse does that guarantee Prince Fielder signing with the Cubs?

What the hell dude?

Prince is a vegetarian
like myself

So 0% chance he signs with the Cubs.

Windu

Dmncnby2k9 said:
http://www.lidom.com.do/zvideo_tv_tl.htm link to a game in DR for anyone who needs some baseball rite now!

main website for the league: http://lidom.com.do all games available there.
pYMIe.gif

we need a similar website NPB.

I wish both leagues would let either the pitcher hit or have a DH. I hate the DH, but at ths point, I would be cool if the NL moved to a DH just so we can have some goddamn parity. Interleague's not going away, so fuck it.

darkside31337 said:
This is amazing stuff.

Lenny DiNardo is starting. I haven't heard about that guy for like 5 years.
a lot of top prospects are playing in the league right now like Brandon Belt, Starling Marte, and Anthony Rizzo. Ubaldo Jimenez might pitch next month.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I wish both leagues would let either the pitcher hit or have a DH. I hate the DH, but at ths point, I would be cool if the NL moved to a DH just so we can have some goddamn parity. Interleague's not going away, so fuck it.
Balanced scheduling (lol) would do a lot more to restore parity than uniform rules in both leagues. Despite following the "real" league, I really don't mind having the different rules in the AL and NL. Gives a more distinct HFA in interleague games and the WS.

They really need to fix this All Star game gives HFA in the WS bullshit though. Especially since every team needs to have a representative and there's fan voting involved. Most years it doesn't matter much but in a closely matched WS like this one, it can play a huge role.

Little Green Yoda said:
Balanced scheduling (lol) would do a lot more to restore parity than uniform rules in both leagues. Despite following the "real" league, I really don't mind having the different rules in the AL and NL. Gives a more distinct HFA in interleague games and the WS.

They really need to fix this All Star game gives HFA in the WS bullshit though. Especially since every team needs to have a representative and there's fan voting involved. Most years it doesn't matter much but in a closely matched WS like this one, it can play a huge role.

The all star game thing is total crap. They should either go back to the way it was or use best record. HFA should never be decided by an exhibition game.

The Rockies and Jason Giambi have both exercised Giambi's mutual $1 million option for 2012. Giambi hit .260/.355/.603 with 13 home runs and 32 RBIs in 64 games (152 PA's) with the Rockies in 2011.

Doytch

Ondore said:
Uhhh yeah, feel free to ignore any and every report about the Jays' plans this offseason and for as long as AA is GM. Reporters and agents just throw the jays into any rumor since AA won't deny it and has said this is a result of that.

Really, how many of AA's moves have been telegraphed?

The Indians have declined Grady Sizemore's $9 million option for 2012, making Sizemore a free agent. He will receive a $500k buyout. The Indians will likely try to bring Sizemore back on a lesser, incentive-filled deal. He is also likely to attract interest from other teams looking for help in CF. Sizemore hit only .224/.285/.442 with 10 home runs and 32 RBIs in another injury-wrecked season that limited him to 71 games. Sizemore has only played a total of 210 games from 2009-2011.

Meanwhile, the Indians excersized the $7 million 2012 option of Fausto Carmona. Carmona had a disappointing season, going 7-15 with a 5.25 ERA in 32 starts. The Indians also hold options on Carmona for 2013 ($9 million) and 2014 ($12 million).

darkside31337 said:
What the hell dude?

Prince is a vegetarian
like myself

So 0% chance he signs with the Cubs.

He's actually isn't any longer. I read a recent interview in Sporting News (what a terrible magazine that has become, by the way) and he said he's given it up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
tyguy20204 said:
He's actually isn't any longer. I read a recent interview in Sporting News (what a terrible magazine that has become, by the way) and he said he's given it up.

How disappointing but I figured he would have given it up sooner so still good for him. Tony La Russa is the only person in baseball that I know of who is still a vegetarian then.

darkside31337 said:
How disappointing but I figured he would have given it up sooner so still good for him. Tony La Russa is the only person in baseball that I know of who is still a vegetarian then.

You misspelled alcoholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom