• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Mike Francesa Fan Club |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I'm really surprised that Scherzer is starting today for the tigers... I would have started someone like Luis Marte (someone just to eat up innings)

Perhaps I should rephrase. You can't positively affect your team's chances that much when pitching less than 100 innings. Similar to how a manager has minimal positive effect with in game management but can really fuck you over with egregious decisions.

Much better. Even top-tier starters nowadays don't get over 6.0-7.0 in WAR. Verlander is leading this season with 6.8. Last season is considered his god-tier season, yet his WAR last year is 1.3 less than 2009. Just goes to show how meaningless a ton of wins are nowadays.

zulux21

I think so, depends on if Moyer comes back again.

Edit: Shit, just late.

well there is still talks that Roger Clemens will come back for one game next year (to push his HOF stuff back) as well so he would technically count as well if he does that :p

I don't think there is anyone else though.

well there is still talks that Roger Clemens will come back for one game next year (to push his HOF stuff back) as well so he would technically count as well if he does that :p

I don't think there is anyone else though.

Selig should come down on all teams and "suggest" for them to refrain from signing Clemens. Let him fade from memory naturally.

zulux21

Cool. I'd be down with seeing a 50 year old Moyer pitch for someone next year. Looking at his stats though... good luck to him

If I was the team like the astros and could sign him for the league min I would sign him as a starter as he would likely sell enough extra tickets to cover that with ease as every time he went to pitch it could be a new baseball record lol.

Well, I knew of the saves (though not the exact number), but I was clueless that he had 100 CGs.

Also, on the lol salary inflation note: Over his whole career, Eck made less money than A-Rod is being paid this year.

yep, he started with the cubs I believe. that hair was wild like the wings of a majestic bird.
edit: save it for the playoffs Cano.
fake edit: what is Rafael Soriano's WAR this year? I'd be curious because isn't he technically a replacement over Mariano?

zulux21

Imagine telling someone in 1986 that there could be a starting matchup featuring Clemens and Moyer in 2013.

I imagine that people would be more impressed that at age 0-4months I was able to speak and knew who Clemens and Moyer were :p

beyond that though I imagine they might be able to believe Clemens was still pitching but I doubt they would even know who Moyer was in 1986 unless they were extreme cubs fans

So is Cabrera guaranteed the triple crown now?

only way he doesn't get it is if the yankees red sox game goes into extra and granderson launches a few more... or if longora gets like 30 more at bats today :p

yep, he started with the cubs I believe. that hair was wild like the wings of a majestic bird.
edit: save it for the playoffs Cano.
fake edit: what is Rafael Soriano's WAR this year? I'd be curious because isn't he technically a replacement over Mariano?

Trying to boost himself into the MVP race as much as he can. His WAR is superior to Cabrera's, so maybe he'll steal votes from both sides by being a better player on a playoff team.

I imagine that people would be more impressed that at age 0-4months I was able to speak and knew who Clemens and Moyer were :p

beyond that though I imagine they might be able to believe Clemens was still pitching but I doubt they would even know who Moyer was in 1986 unless they were extreme cubs fans

only way he doesn't get it is if the yankees red sox game goes into extra and granderson launches a few more... or if longora gets like 30 more at bats today :p

you wouldn't be more impressed with time travel?

Fenix

Really nice moment for Omar here, HOF career or not.

Edit: 90 loss season avoided and protected pick secured! Not a bad night.

zulux21

you wouldn't be more impressed with time travel?

Back to the Future came out in 1985, I think I would be open to the idea of time travel from 27 years later :p

Really nice moment for Omar here, HOF career or not.

Edit: 90 loss season avoided and protected pick secured! Not a bad night.

with 11 gold gloves and being less than 125 hits from 3k I would figure he will eventually get into the HOF.. maybe not first ballot but before the last one.

alright rays get someone on base I want longo to have a chance to get a 4th home run

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Trying to boost himself into the MVP race as much as he can. His WAR is superior to Cabrera's, so maybe he'll steal votes from both sides by being a better player on a playoff team.
Cabrera and Cano are basically identical in fWAR. With UZR being fluky in one year samples and with it not really liking Cano in previous years I would go with Cabrera over Cano since Cabrera has been the better offensive player and those statistics are more reliable.

You're right. I just checked on Fangraphs. Could've sworn it had Cano by a half point as recently as yesterday. Poop. Michigan sportswriters would set the nation on fire if Cabrera finishes third in voting.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You're right. I just checked on Fangraphs. Could've sworn it had Cano by a half point as recently as yesterday. Poop. Michigan sportswriters would set the nation on fire if Cabrera finishes third in voting.
even with a half point difference, I usually just say they are the same.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I love that Jimmy Rollins is making excuses for his team whining about injuries. I didn't know the Phillies were the only team with injuries...

clemenx

Banned
I generally flat out ignore defensive metrics and go with Tango Tiger fan ratings at the end of the season... I don't think defensive metrics are there. Maybe with HitFx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom