• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

So yeah, Camden was bomb as shit. Loved it. CBP was nice too, but being shoved off in the south amongst parking lots is eh. OTOH, Philly is a really awesome city.

Literately took a plane to Philly, cab to CBP, took plane back. It's fucking terrible.

389220_10150729050285975_720555974_9617735_116170955_n.jpg

Doytch

Literately took a plane to Philly, cab to CBP, took plane back. It's fucking terrible.
Lame. I didn't go outside the ring road since I walk almost everywhere on vacations, but there're lots of good neighbourhoods in Philly. The art school hipstery place, the Market, Market East around 2nd/3rd at night, Passyunk, shopping on [I forget...] Walnut?Locust?...I was def surprised at how nice it is. I like my cities cosmopolitan so I wish it had a bit more of that, but that's really the only thing I could complain about.

Opiate

So if Pujols contract turns in to an absolute lemon, do the Angels have any recourse at all?

There have been rare occassions where players have indeed retired mid contract (and not been paid the remainder), but this is mostly a consequence of dignity and shame and isn't something the Angels can necessarily rely on.

Regardless, I'm hoping Pujols turns it around significantly. While it's certainly plausible that he's older than he says he is, this would represent an extremely steep decline in performance. Most players don't go MVP-MVP-MVP-Top Ten MVP-Terrible. Even age doesn't account for statistical drop offs this big (or close to this big).

Sanjuro

So if Pujols contract turns in to an absolute lemon, do the Angels have any recourse at all?

There have been rare occassions where players have indeed retired mid contract (and not been paid the remainder), but this is mostly a consequence of dignity and shame and isn't something the Angels can necessarily rely on.

Regardless, I'm hoping Pujols turns it around significantly. While it's certainly plausible that he's older than he says he is, this would represent an extremely steep decline in performance. Most players don't go MVP-MVP-MVP-Top Ten MVP-Terrible. Even age doesn't account for statistical drop offs this big (or close to this big).

I wouldn't be worried about it yet. Sports radio, fans, writers will get on anybody. Pujols is in a much different market with an obscene contract. Everyone is going to be watching him and shitting on him every step of the way.

To my knowledge on the contract, no. There isn't any way they will recoup unless Albert does something to violate the terms or is a Bobby Orr level of humble.

Personally, I think his numbers and performance from the season prior is a very good indication on how this contract will progress. Maybe insert one vintage season.

sangreal

Trade him to the ang... shit

(I think he will be fine. A lot of big names are off to shitty starts.)

Sanjuro

Trade him to the ang... shit

(I think he will be fine. A lot of big names are off to shitty starts.)

Remember in the newspapers during the home run race, they would have Sosa/McGwire/Griffey charts? They should just start every season with the highest paid players and have a similar race to failure.

Not sure if they could force an injury settlement but when it came out about Utley's knee this year there was talk that if he couldnt come back and play the Phillies would be able to reach an injury settlement with him for like a 1/3 of what he was owed. I dont know how often that happens in baseball but if Alberts numbers were really down for a few years maybe they could argue that isnt totally healthy.

Opiate

I wouldn't be worried about it yet. Sports radio, fans, writers will get on anybody. Pujols is in a much different market with an obscene contract. Everyone is going to be watching him and shitting on him every step of the way.

To my knowledge on the contract, no. There isn't any way they will recoup unless Albert does something to violate the terms or is a Bobby Orr level of humble.

I thought this was the case, just making sure. Mark McGwire also returned much of his salary to the Cardinals, but I strongly suspect that wasn't just humility -- he was afraid of being caught. Of course, being "caught" would not have violated any rules at that time; it was just a matter of dignity and shame, not necessarily humility.

Personally, I think his numbers and performance from the season prior is a very good indication on how this contract will progress. Maybe insert one vintage season.

I think this sounds right, but at this point his April numbers have been so terrible that even a recovery would not make a great Pujols season -- part of what made Pujols great was his relentless consistency, and you can't reach the heights of his WAR or OPS with isolated months as bad as this one. Assuming a rapid rebound starting very soon, I think the plausible upper limit of his OPS for the year would be somewhere around .850, which is fine but would only be another bullet point in a continuing downward trend for him. He declined slightly in 2009, then lopped .100 off his OPS two years in a row. The decline is coming from both his plate discipline and his power.

In other words, I do expect him to rebound, but I also now feel very confident that Pujols is already in his "decline" phase, with 10 years left in his contract. Just saying that sounds terrible. I think the last chance for another MVP year will be 2013 and 2014, if he gets luckier with BABIP; beyond that the odds of a return to greatness seem extremely slim.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So, The Marlins wasted all that money for naught? I feel sorry for the tax payers who got bamboozled.
The fallout has been pretty spectacular. The mayor was recalled, the entire city commission was fired, and there's an ongoing SEC investigation. I'm just glad I live in Broward and not Miami-Dade so I can enjoy this trainwreck from the sidelines.

That seems the most likely.

and the proof of that would be? it's not like every single player has a magic age where they start declining. new league+slump= bad start. let's not start throwing accusations because of other people's priors.

sangreal

on mlb.tv is there a way to expand it to take up the entire browser window? I don't want full screen, just full screen within the browser. For the mosaic view, specifically

Sanjuro

Jerry Remy has been under the weather. So we are treated to Nick Cafardo, Peter Abraham, and tonight Peter Gammons on color.

It's fucking awful.

carlos

Pastornicky already with a better average than half the lineup....quite impressive.
And long AB's too, just like Freeman (usually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom