• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all WBC fans like myself, a new qualifying round has been added for this year.

bizofbaseball.com said:
Venues, Pools Announced for 2013 World Baseball Classic Qualifiers
Written by Maury Brown

World Baseball Classic, Inc. (WBCI) today announced the venues and pools of the new Qualifiers for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. The winners of each Qualifying Pool will advance to compete in the 2013 World Baseball Classic tournament next March. The four venues that have been selected to host a Qualifying Pool are:
Armin-Wolf-Baseball-Arena in Regensburg, Germany;
Rod Carew Stadium in Panama City, Panama;
XinZuang Stadium in Taipei, Taiwan; and
Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Florida

Initial opening round match-ups (including home and visitor designations) as well as ticket information will be announced at a later date by the host venues.

The pools for each Qualifier are:

Qualifier 1
Sept. 20th-24th in Regensburg, Germany
Canada
Czech Republic
Germany
Great Britain

Qualifier 2
Nov. Dates TBD in Jupiter, Florida, USA
France
Israel
South Africa
Spain

Qualifier 3
Nov. Dates TBD in Taipei, Taiwan
Chinese Taipei
New Zealand
Philippines
Thailand

Qualifier 4
Nov. 14th-18th in Panama City, Panama
Brazil
Colombia
Nicaragua
Panama

“We are excited to expand the scope of the World Baseball Classic and maintain our commitment to global baseball development, starting with four excellent venues hosting the new Qualifiers this fall,” said Paul Archey, Senior Vice President, International Business Operations for Major League Baseball. “We are very pleased with the level of interest from venues and organizers around the world who share our enthusiasm for the World Baseball Classic and its mission of celebrating the global nature of our game.”

We are pleased to have 12 new countries participating in the World Baseball Classic,” said Major League Baseball Players Association Assistant General Counsel Ian Penny. “Sports fans around the world will witness one of the greatest events on the international sports calendar when the 2013 World Baseball Classic launches its new Qualifiers with games in Regensburg, Germany. We’re confident the Qualifiers will further expand the international popularity of the game we all love. We thank all participating nations for their commitment to the World Baseball Classic and the Qualifier host locations and organizers for their passion and interest in the game of baseball.”

The Qualifiers will feature a six-game modified double-elimination format. The composition of the pools was determined after venues were selected, with consideration given to competitive balance, existing rivalries and each national team’s geographical location.

“The implementation of this qualification system into the World Baseball Classic framework is a true sign of the strong collaboration between the IBAF and our colleagues at Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association,” said Riccardo Fraccari, President of the International Baseball Federation. “We are very encouraged about the inclusion of emerging baseball territories and the continual growth of the international baseball landscape that this represents.”

The Qualifiers will expand the competitive field from 16 to 28 countries. The teams invited to participate in the Qualifying Pools will include the four World Baseball Classic teams from 2009 that did not win a game – Canada, Chinese Taipei, Panama and South Africa.
The winners from each Qualifying Pool will advance to the World Baseball Classic tournament, scheduled for March 2013. Those four teams will join the 12 countries – Australia, China, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Kingdom of the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, United States and Venezuela – that receive automatic invitations based on their performance in the 2009 tournament.

The 2013 World Baseball Classic will mark the third edition of the tournament. The inaugural event was held in 2006, and the second World Baseball Classic was held in 2009.

Indians are close to acquiring Bobby Abreu from the Angels. Deal could happen shortly.

He wants out so bad...It be a good trade for both...just send the Angels a minor leaguer and they be cool...Or a reliever

E: Also gonna love parking at Dodger Stadium and not worry about giving a single dime to McFraud anymore

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Virgin America's Brian Wilson plane:

VIRGIN-AMERICA-AIRBUS.JPEG-02f15.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the official Up and In Podcast 2012 World Series Winner predicted by Kevin Goldstein's mother is...

/drumroll

the brooklyn dodgers. (much better than her first pick, the mets)

What is the national perception of the Detroit Tigers?

Being completely ignorant of such matters I would predict that their tradition carries some modest value, and everyone loves the home unis, but that lately they're more the poor man's NYY; feared-but-not-respected territory.

About right?

Also, what's Brandon Phillips' trade value? Like about what would a team expect to give up?

Cheers.

evilhomer

Detroits hat has always been popular cause the 'D' is pretty cool looking and people like sporting it, it is a nice and classy looking logo.

I don't think they garner the hate of NYY, maybe best to check other central teams opinions though. I've always thought of them as one of the better teams in that division but never any negative connotations towards them.

I hold them in high regard cause I joined a keeper league 5 years ago and Miggy was my first pick and has been awesome for me so I like them for that :)

What is the national perception of the Detroit Tigers?

Being completely ignorant of such matters I would predict that their tradition carries some modest value, and everyone loves the home unis, but that lately they're more the poor man's NYY; feared-but-not-respected territory.

About right?

Also, what's Brandon Phillips' trade value? Like about what would a team expect to give up?

Cheers.

Tigers are one of those classic franchises. they've built themselves up after having some mediocre years and they're pretty good.

Blearth

Banned
For all WBC fans like myself, a new qualifying round has been added for this year.

They should reduce it to an 8 team tourney and only allow countries that actually know how to play baseball.

USA
Canada
Dominican Republic
Venezuela
Cuba
Puerto Rico
Japan
South Korea

What's the point of having all those other countries that have no shot of winning?

They should reduce it to an 8 team tourney and only allow countries that actually know how to play baseball.

USA
Canada
Dominican Republic
Venezuela
Cuba
Puerto Rico
Japan
South Korea

What's the point of having all those other countries that have no shot of winning?

well, gotta cultivate baseball elsewhere too you know.

Oxx

They have been showing the Ken Burns Baseball documentary on UK TV. Pretty interesting stuff for a non-American who has only been watching baseball since 1998.

One episode down.

Brinbe

I read a pretty good article on this a few days ago talking about Canada's participation in this and the players/risks involved. Despite the competition, it won't be easy. http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/03/21/davidi_world_baseball_classic_canada_qualifier/

To call the qualifying tournament Canada must win to reach the next World Baseball Classic a minefield would be a bit of an exaggeration, although the national team will be no more one misstep away from things blowing up in an awful hurry.

Germany will host the Sept. 20-24 double-knockout format play-in event at Regensburg’s Armin Wolf Baseball Arena, also welcoming Britain and the Czech Republic to compete for a single berth left up for grabs in the 2013 edition of the Classic.

While on the surface that pool seems like a breezy stroll in the park for the Canadians, things in the international game are never so simple. The loss to Italy at the 2009 Classic, which eliminated Canada from the tournament and forced the national team to earn its way back in, is the painful proof of that.

"I think the environment is going to be really good, I think it’s going to be an interesting place for potential players to go and play and see a bit of the world that way, so from a setting perspective, it should be positive," Greg Hamilton, Baseball Canada’s director of national teams, said of the host venue.

"But it’s a tournament that, I don’t want to say worries, but certainly concerns you because you’re probably going to be facing three teams that will have significant naturalization components to them, and that always makes it a little bit challenging if you’re facing the former triple-A, big-league, left-hander that’s savvy and can pitch.

"For us there’s a whole lot at stake."

That there is, and not just for Baseball Canada, but also for Major League Baseball, which risks running one of its showcase events without some of its brightest stars at a time when the Classic really needs to get better, not worse.

The next Classic will be the third, and the first with the play-in concept. Designed to at least theoretically give non-traditional baseball countries a shot at getting in, there will be four qualifying tournaments in the coming months to determine the four teams that round out the 16-nation field.

The idea makes sense, but the risk of Canada and Taiwan failing to qualify likely outweighs the benefit of opening up the field to others.

Imagine if the Canadians happen to step on a mine this September and rather than having a Classic team with Joey Votto, Russell Martin, Justin Morneau, Jason Bay, John Axford, Brett Lawrie and Ryan Dempster, the tournament winds up with some naturalized scrubs instead?

It’s not as impossible as it seems.

At this point, participating countries have been told no 40-man roster players will be eligible for the qualifiers, leaving Canada potentially looking at a group similar to the one that won gold at the Pan American Games last fall.

"Obviously you’d like to have a solid core of that group return," said Hamilton. "They’ve been through the international battles, they get it and they understand the necessity of getting it going right away. And it was a good blend of players that mixed well."

But most of those players are property of big-league clubs, and getting their release for a relatively-speaking low quality of competition tournament may be a tough sell. They may also come with usage restrictions such as an innings limit, an issue Britain, Germany and the Czech Republic won’t face with naturalized former pros out of affiliated ball.

Additionally, it appears the Canadians won’t have much of a training camp or any warmup games beforehand, while their rivals will be coming out of the European championships. They’ll be game-ready, while the national team will be trying to pick up speed after essentially three weeks off.

By no means are those obstacles insurmountable, but the ingredients for things to go awry are all there.

"We want to be in the WBC with our best players and we feel we’re one of the top baseball playing nations in the world, and there’s enough major-league star power to warrant us being in that tournament," said Hamilton. "But we’re not going to have those players when we qualify."

Instead, Hamilton will be in the unenviable position of asking players to help Canada clinch a spot in the Classic even though many of them won’t be invited back to actually play in the big dance. Essentially, he’ll be offering them a chance to bear all the risk so others can enjoy the glory, the only reward being a week of ball in Germany and the gratitude of Baseball Canada.

So, while the Germans, Brits and Czechs scour the baseball world seeking to capitalize on the liberal naturalization rules for the event, Hamilton must prepare for the difficult phone calls he’ll have to make, both to players asking them to buy-in, and to teams for their blessing.

It’s some tricky ground to manoeuvre, with just enough landmines to make you feel uneasy lying in wait.

bryehn

USA
Canada
Dominican Republic
Venezuela
Cuba
Puerto Rico
Japan
South Korea

Australia's pretty decent, so is Netherlands.

BFIB

Descalso most likely getting the leadoff spot. Furcal apparently forgot how to hit. And the Cards are on the hook for two years. Can we please get a dependable SS? We've been playing revolving door since Eckstein left.

eznark

Banned
Descalso most likely getting the leadoff spot. Furcal apparently forgot how to hit. And the Cards are on the hook for two years. Can we please get a dependable SS? We've been playing revolving door since Eckstein left.

Spring Training Chicken Little!

Macattk15

I really hate Ron for not starting Yu for the Sunday night game on ESPN. What a prick. Nobody wants to see Matt Harrison.

Yu vs Ichiro is pretty neat though.

Yu vs. Ichiro is cool. Yu vs. the rest of the Mariners will probably hurt my soul, minus Ackley ... cause he is the shit.

Smoak > Montero currently also.

calder

Australia's pretty decent, so is Netherlands.

Yeah, 8 teams isn't enough. And you need a system in place to let developing baseball nations get better and a framework to let them play with the big boys at a certain point. But I reserve the right to lose my shit if Canada is eliminated by Germany due to the somewhat goofy setup.

I freaking love the WBC. Who's going to step up and be this years Adam Stern? :D Oh and damn do we have ANY freaking right handed bats in this country yet?! Funny how it seems hockey ruined our baseball team in 2009 lol. Fucking Italy.

Enron

Banned
Yeah, 8 teams isn't enough. And you need a system in place to let developing baseball nations get better and a framework to let them play with the big boys at a certain point.

I freaking love the WBC. Who's going to step up and be this years Adam Stern? :D Oh and damn do we have ANY freaking right handed bats in this country yet?! Funny how it seems hockey ruined our baseball team in 2009 lol. Fucking Italy.

8 teams completely destroys the purpose of the WBC.

Im a big fan. And yea, expanding the field helps spread the great game of baseball into new areas. Imagine a team like Brazil makes it into the WBC, interest in baseball will skyrocket.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
They should put the WBC in the middle of the season in place of the all star stuff. Don't like the march time frame.

tc farks

Keep holding on to that dream.

It's not a dream. It's more like, man, it would sure be annoying to drag on about sending another mediocre prospect to the whiniest team in the MLB.

Carpenter was perfectly healthy at the end of the AFL. Passed a physical at the start of spring training and by Boston's doctors when the trade went down. No one knew of the injury - trade final. Go away Boston, it's over.

Sanjuro

It's not a dream. It's more like, man, it would sure be annoying to drag on about sending another mediocre prospect to the whiniest team in the MLB.

Carpenter was perfectly healthy at the end of the AFL. Passed a physical at the start of spring training and by Boston's doctors when the trade went down. No one knew of the injury - trade final. Go away Boston, it's over.

You have been whining about this entire ordeal, continuing to as well. Doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal overall.

hagaf22

Neo Member
Smoak > Montero currently also.

I hope the best of both of them, but I forsee Montero feeling alot of the pressure that Smoak did last year. I know Smoak had alot of issues, but I think the pressure also influenced him alittle. Montero has a lot of pressure on him, especially considering he was traded for a top of the rotation starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom