• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Digital Deluxe version, using the $15 promotion from spending $100 on this preorder, the 11k stubs as part of the deluxe version, and only $15 more I bought a 50 pack bundle and this is my opening day lineup. Few better cards on the bench but giving mission starters a go.

C8FoduMVsAE4_aq

Never played any version of The Show before. On my third season now and starting in right field for the Phillies (got drafted by the Yankees but got traded while I was in AA). I was trying to find what level of hitting I should use, and was bouncing between rookie and veteran. Then I turned dynamic on and I've been batting consistently well on near All-Star level difficulty now. I have terrible plate discipline though. I almost never walk.

FrankWza

I turned off boost mode and performance improved on my 1080p display in HFR mode. I don't think I was getting the full Pro benefits with boost mode on, it was my Pro playing the game like it was an old release without a Pro patch in boost mode.

I think something is bugged when playing this game on 1080p displays. I am honestly 99.9 percent sure of it. I truly feel like if DF does an analysis they will find some very strange things, unless it is patched by then.

I am going to buy a used OG PS4 today and do some testing.

Something is very odd with how this game behaves on 1080p displays

HFR IS smooth, but you gotta realize that the base game got a famerate upgrade on regular PS4s as well. Apparently some people, including myself, were feeling like the game played exactly like it does on base PS4 on our Pro (with a 1080p display). Then I turned boost mode off, and that changed. I have rarely seen a drop in RTTS or any other mode since then. Which is odd.

What is more odd is how you interact with the 2 other visual modes, enhanced and 4k, with a 1080p display, that it lets you force apply changes even after warning you its not supported and that there is no difference in anything at all between the three at 1080p.

Hmmm...maybe it just defaults to 1080 anyway. Could it be thats whats taking you out of HFR? Compare using HFR quit then choose another mode. Maybe it knocks you down to 1080p without the HFR since that isnt supported in the other modes and the system can't determine?

Saganator

I have terrible plate discipline though. I almost never walk.

Probably the hardest part of all baseball games. Good rule is to take the first pitch almost always. I usually predict a fastball down the pipe for first pitch, and if I don't get the indication I predicted it, I don't swing. Ideally you work the count to a favorable one, such as 2-0, 3-0, or 3-1 so the pitcher is more likely to throw you a pitch you can hit.

Rommel

Finally opened my packs today.

Best player was A. Chapman and Edwin Encarnacion. Most of my team is between 77 and 84 ratings.

Might sell my Chapman and other pieces and get a 50 pack

A new MLB The Show 17 Review went up today.

When you're the only game on the market, it can be difficult to avoid falling into a state of complacency.

There can be a feeling from many that yearly sports titles are nothing more than $60 roster updates from developers, and that can be a major turnoff for potential players. Since becoming the sole simulation offering for baseball fans in 2013 however, MLB The Show has done a stellar job of improving year over year to continually justify the annual purchase.

Expectations are often set high for a franchise that has shown the ability to continuously add to its offering with seemingly every installment, but the risk is always there that a release will fall flat on its face with fans.

MLB The Show 17 takes the field this season hoping to convince both casual and dedicated fans of the series that this year is a can't miss offering from Sony San Diego Studios (SDS)

I think something is bugged when playing this game on 1080p displays. I am honestly 99.9 percent sure of it. I truly feel like if DF does an analysis they will find some very strange things, unless it is patched by then.
There's no need to wait on Digital Foundry. If you can post screenshots and videos, from the various graphical modes or with Boost Mode on/off, we can do analysis here.

Rommel

What do I do with a rookie flashback player? Can they improve or is that it? Sad seeing Harmon Killebrew so low in ratings :(

augmental

Best player was A. Chapman and Edwin Encarnacion. Most of my team is between 77 and 84 ratings.

Damn, that's awesome. I literally got jack sh*t, so to speak. My highest rated guy was an 87 Dallas Keuchel, lol. I did get 3 friggin' Mike Foltynewicz, just like last year.

Did you open them through the game or theshownation.com? I tried to do a mix of through the site and through the game to maybe better my luck.

I have like 30+ packs from the deluxe version + preorder and I won a 10 pack bundle from the Sony stream on launch night. Too bad I haven't been able to actually coneect to the servers yet...

What do I do with a rookie flashback player? Can they improve or is that it? Sad seeing Harmon Killebrew so low in ratings :(

I haven't been able to mess with DD this year because of the server issues, but you should go and look in the missions screen and somewhere it should tell you the requirements to turn a card like that into a better card.

Choomp

Banned
Never played any version of The Show before. On my third season now and starting in right field for the Phillies (got drafted by the Yankees but got traded while I was in AA). I was trying to find what level of hitting I should use, and was bouncing between rookie and veteran. Then I turned dynamic on and I've been batting consistently well on near All-Star level difficulty now. I have terrible plate discipline though. I almost never walk.

Lol, over the years I've actually become an extremely disciplined batter in these games. Gives my friends fits.

Rommel

Damn, that's awesome. I literally got jack sh*t, so to speak. My highest rated guy was an 87 Dallas Keuchel, lol. I did get 3 friggin' Mike Foltynewicz, just like last year.

Did you open them through the game or theshownation.com? I tried to do a mix of through the site and through the game to maybe better my luck.

I opened them all through the game. I would sell my Chapman at work but he is currently on my roster and I can't figure out how to remove him online so I'll have to wait until I get home.

sh1fty

Managed to pull Mookie Betts in my preorder packs and sold him so I could open a ton more. Pulled Stephen Strasburg in the next batch, which I sold again for another bunch of packs. I also pulled the Griffey cleats but should have waited to sell, as the price has skyrocketed today.

All in all, after about 150-175 packs, I have completed maybe 19/30 gold collections and my gold players are:

- Mark Melancon - 89
- Justin Verlander - 88
- Andrew McCutcheon - 85
- Christian Yelich - 85
- Xander Boegarts - 85 (loyalty reward)

Odds of pulling Diamonds and Golds seem pretty darn low considering how many packs I opened.

I opened thirty packs and the best thing I've gotten is a diamond bat and a Daniel Murphy. Great reminder why my time and wallet are best avoiding pack opening!

The OP states MLB 17 The Show supports HDR but I just fired it up on my original PS4 but it did not notify me that an HDR video is playing.

The only thing I can think of is that it is not fully installed yet? Is the OP wrong or is it something on my end causing the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BFIB

Enable fish eye cam. It'll help recognize pitches easier. Also, work counts. If your down 1-2, 0-2, your likely going to get something off speed to try and get you to chase.

augmental

You opened 100+ packs and didn't get one 90+ guy? Good lawd, that's crazy.

Managed to pull Mookie Betts in my preorder packs and sold him so I could open a ton more. Pulled Stephen Strasburg in the next batch, which I sold again for another bunch of packs. I also pulled the Griffey cleats but should have waited to sell, as the price has skyrocketed today.

All in all, after about 150-175 packs, I have completed maybe 19/30 gold collections and my gold players are:

- Mark Melancon - 89
- Justin Verlander - 88
- Andrew McCutcheon - 85
- Christian Yelich - 85
- Xander Boegarts - 85 (loyalty reward)

Odds of pulling Diamonds and Golds seem pretty darn low considering how many packs I opened.

The OP states MLB 17 The Show supports HDR but I just fired it up on my original PS4 but it did not notify me that an HDR video is playing.

The only thing I can think of is that it is not fully installed yet? Is the OP wrong or is it something on my end causing the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, never mind I figured out how to turn HDR on. Just in case anyone else has this problem, all you have to do is go into AUDIO/VIDEO OPTIONS and switch HDR on. I wish I could tell you switching HDR from off to on gets you what you want but under the tab to activate HDR is HDR Intensity. This is where I'm lost a second time because there are no tools to properly calibrate the HDR intensity so I'm turning to GAF to help me out. I own a Samsung KS8000 if u need to know that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ok, never mind I figured out how to turn HDR on. Just in case anyone else has this problem, all you have to do is go into AUDIO/VIDEO OPTIONS and switch HDR on. I wish I could tell you switching HDR from off to on gets you what you want but under the tab to activate HDR is HDR Intensity. This is where I'm lost a second time because there are no tools to properly calibrate the HDR intensity so I'm turning to GAF to help me out. I own a Samsung KS8000 if u need to know that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The developers stated on a stream that if you have a 1000 nit display like the KS8000, you can turn the slider all the way up. That's the way I have mine set.

The developers stated on a stream that if you have a 1000 nit display like the KS8000, you can turn the slider all the way up. That's the way I have mine set.

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I got.

Another question for you. I'm using a tiny screen at the moment so its hard to see your avatar. I see the beautiful Cardinal's jacket but can't quite if its an actual RedBird wearing it.

Okay I'm already getting pissed off with the stupid AI. Now batting over .300 and a big OPS and still benched for a guy who is hitting well under .200 and has been trending down for a month.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Thank you very much, that is exactly what I got.

Another question for you. I'm using a tiny screen at the moment so its hard to see your avatar. I see the beautiful Cardinal's jacket but can't quite if its an actual RedBird wearing it.

That's Ghostface Killah. I'm actually a Cubs fan. lol

As my player is on the bench I can't even get enough reps to earn training points and stop his stats from degrading. Fucking hell, unbelievably frustrating.

Xater

I only got trash in my packs. In 30 packs 2 silvers and that's it. The only gold I have. I got as a loyalty reward.

Probably the hardest part of all baseball games. Good rule is to take the first pitch almost always. I usually predict a fastball down the pipe for first pitch, and if I don't get the indication I predicted it, I don't swing. Ideally you work the count to a favorable one, such as 2-0, 3-0, or 3-1 so the pitcher is more likely to throw you a pitch you can hit.

Yeah it works for me now cos of the higher difficulty setting. On beginner and rookie they basically never throw outside the strike zone.

GravyButt

So what's dynamic difficulty?

Im not good at the game so ive been playing beginner. Obviously way to easy. Should I jump to rookie or go to dynamic ?
How hard is veteran?

augmental

I only got trash in my packs. In 30 packs 2 silvers and that's it. The only gold I have. I got as a loyalty reward.

I feel your pain. My luck was really bad this year as well. At least last year I got an Andrew Miller and a Syndergaard.

After playing on an OG PS4 for about an hour I feel it's a case of Pro Mode works, the benefits are just less pronounced for 1080p gamers. There is a smoothness difference on the Pro at 1080p (doesn't matter what mode you pick, every mode is HFR mode on 1080p, thats just the default/solitary rendering mode for Pro owners with 1080p displays in this game), it certainly isn't locked 60 but it is very nice. RTTS has frame rate issues in certain instances on the Pro as well. It is better, but not where it needs to be. Playing as catcher there are a couple instances that will trigger easily sub-30 FPS drops on the Pro. It isn't widespread, but it's there still.

I am gonna stick a fork in this because if I keep worrying about it its gonna hamper my enjoyment. The game is awesome and that's all that matters.

My best, non-professional, Just-A-Fat-Guy-In-A-Basement guess is this:

OG PS4 - 1080p resolution with targetted 60fps that probably hovers somewhere between 40-60 in regular gameplay, and who knows what in RTTS

PS4 Pro on 1080 displays - 1080p resolution, 60 fps target that probably hits 60 a lot of the time in regular gameplay and maybe dips between 50-60 sometimes. RTTS is smoother but still has dips anywhere between 25-60 depending on what is happening. I will say that overall there seems to be noticably less judder/hitching on the Pro version, overall. It happens from time to time, though

No apparent downsampling for 1080pers, but I hope that is patched in, as that doesn't make sense to me still. I still wonder if it is a work in progress considering the odd way you can still select the other modes, even if they dont do anything yet.

Hopefully DF or someone legit does a breakdown of this and we can see for sure. Maybe I am way off. Just my honest insight and observations based on my experience.

I think this is a lesson for me not to jump to conclusions out of excitement. When I saw the names of the visual modes when they were revealed on that stream, I assumed that they would work just like Tomb Raider does it, as they are labelled the same. Bad move on my part. Probably also explains why there wasn't a huge hoopla over the Pro enhancements for 1080p gamers other than Russell saying "Yes" to a tweet about 1080p benefits.

That looks awful.

I don't play RTTS. Like I said, when the ball is in play I'm playing with the Retro Mode cam. Barely any crowd rendering or anything of that nature.

In your time with the game so far you haven't noticed anything like this (watch the rendering line in the crowd)

https://youtu.be/HeXk4sS7ofs
https://youtu.be/hLY0h_Qp23o

in any of your gameplay? This is a controlled replay, but on hard hit balls where the crowd comes into view suddenly, like mostly on hard hit pulled fouls, I get this rendering line every time

another example

Edit: Does anyone get this kind of rendering line in the crowd as shown in these vids? I feel like my Pro is dying or something

Very good imo. Harold Reynolds is a weak link but other than him it's excellent. Also my quite uncommon surname has audio commentary of it so it's GOAT when they say your full name.

I feel like my last name isn't too uncommon but sports games never have them. I just end up having them say a last name that is close enough to mine. It's always fun to imagine that everyone can't read my name on the back of the jersey and just mispronounce it anyways lol

Xater

So what's dynamic difficulty?

Im not good at the game so ive been playing beginner. Obviously way to easy. Should I jump to rookie or go to dynamic ?
How hard is veteran?

Just try dynamic. It adjust difficulty up or down depending on your performance. There are even half steps between the normal difficulty options, so it's a nice ramp.

FrankWza

After playing on an OG PS4 for about an hour I feel it's a case of Pro Mode works, the benefits are just less pronounced for 1080p gamers. There is a smoothness difference on the Pro at 1080p (doesn't matter what mode you pick, every mode is HFR mode on 1080p, thats just the default/solitary rendering mode for Pro owners with 1080p displays in this game), it certainly isn't locked 60 but it is very nice. RTTS has frame rate issues in certain instances on the Pro as well. It is better, but not where it needs to be. Playing as catcher there are a couple instances that will trigger easily sub-30 FPS drops on the Pro. It isn't widespread, but it's there still.

I am gonna stick a fork in this because if I keep worrying about it its gonna hamper my enjoyment. The game is awesome and that's all that matters.

My best, non-professional, Just-A-Fat-Guy-In-A-Basement guess is this:

OG PS4 - 1080p resolution with targetted 60fps that probably hovers somewhere between 40-60 in regular gameplay, and who knows what in RTTS

PS4 Pro on 1080 displays - 1080p resolution, 60 fps target that probably hits 60 a lot of the time in regular gameplay and maybe dips between 50-60 sometimes. RTTS is smoother but still has dips anywhere between 25-60 depending on what is happening. I will say that overall there seems to be noticably less judder/hitching on the Pro version, overall. It happens from time to time, though

No apparent downsampling for 1080pers, but I hope that is patched in, as that doesn't make sense to me still. I still wonder if it is a work in progress considering the odd way you can still select the other modes, even if they dont do anything yet.

Hopefully DF or someone legit does a breakdown of this and we can see for sure. Maybe I am way off. Just my honest insight and observations based on my experience.

I think this is a lesson for me not to jump to conclusions out of excitement. When I saw the names of the visual modes when they were revealed on that stream, I assumed that they would work just like Tomb Raider does it, as they are labelled the same. Bad move on my part. Probably also explains why there wasn't a huge hoopla over the Pro enhancements for 1080p gamers other than Russell saying "Yes" to a tweet about 1080p benefits.

In your time with the game so far you haven't noticed anything like this (watch the rendering line in the crowd)

https://youtu.be/hLY0h_Qp23o

in any of your gameplay? This is a controlled replay, but on hard hit balls where the crowd comes into view suddenly, like mostly on hard hit pulled fouls, I get this rendering line every time

another example

Edit: Does anyone get this kind of rendering line in the crowd as shown in these vids? I feel like my Pro is dying or something

Just another case in a long line of the devs worrying about these presentation and hair upgrades. The fact the the pro cant be rock solid 60fps in 1080p at all times proves it.

sh1fty

You opened 100+ packs and didn't get one 90+ guy? Good lawd, that's crazy.

I got Mookie Betts (93) and Stephen Strasburg (90) but I sold them so I could open more packs :p ... I usually follow this route every year so I can complete collections and fill my roster with solid silvers and golds... Now that I'm out of stubs, I'll start actually playing the game and hoping for some lucky post game rewards or missions rewards

Is there no solution for the RTTS outfield fielding camera? It's fucking awful. You can't tell where the ball is in the air and if it happens to hit off the wall the angle is so bad that you can't see three feet from the character so you can't even track down the bounce.

Kal_El

I was drafted in the 4th Round by the Angels. I was this close to going to college but I decided against it. Has anyone else went to college instead of signing to double-A?

I was drafted in the 4th Round by the Angels. I was this close to going to college but I decided against it. Has anyone else went to college instead of signing to double-A?
Not sure if this is the same or not, but I initially got drafted by the Yankees in the second round. Unfortunately, the Yankees were literally the ONLY team I didn't want to be on, so I said as much to the GM.

That forces you back to college, where you can play the showcase games again. Then I was drafted in the first round by the Blue Jays, which I'm fine with!

It seems like you have a great chance at increasing your draft stock if you go through the showcase games again (and do well!). So far there have been no negative repercussions of telling off a GM of a MLB team...!

Top Bottom