• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

Xater

Gah they unlocked the game here in Europe but the servers aren't working.

Retro mode seems fun and the framerate is real good in the Pro. Can't really say more than that right now. I really wanted to dive into DD, but that isn't happening without the servers. Gonna go to sleep now and try in the morning.

skynidas

Banned
Gah they unlocked the game here in Europe but the servers aren't working.

Retro mode seems fun and the framerate is real good in the Pro. Can't really say more than that right now. I really wanted to dive into DD, but that isn't happening without the servers. Gonna go to sleep now and try in the morning.

shit, doing the same thing then. not even gonna bother to start the game, it's late here anyways (1am).

GravyButt

Need more Papi or Hanley or ..... well you see where im going with this hahahaha

Getting knee surgery in a few days so I know what ill be doing laid up on the couch!

Ps: anyone ever have meniscus surgery? Guess its a pretty huge tear. Booo

IcyStorm

Does this series (and I guess The Show 17 in particular) allow me in any mode to make a custom team complete with custom players and take them through a season? Or would I have to put all of my custom players onto an existing team? I want to make my slowpitch team in this game lol.

Couleurs

Does this series (and I guess The Show 17 in particular) allow me in any mode to make a custom team complete with custom players and take them through a season? Or would I have to put all of my custom players onto an existing team? I want to make my slowpitch team in this game lol.

Diamond Dynasty lets you make a team (including name/logo), but you are limited to using players you have cards for (and 1 custom player), which you earn from post-game rewards or buying packs (with stubs earned in game or using real money). Once you get the card they are yours to use for good, so there aren't X game contracts unlike Madden/NHL.

The bad news is I don't believe that you can't do a season with your DD team; you only do online or conquest (conquering territories from other teams controlled by the CPU). Otherwise you have to take a real team and make custom players (can't edit real team name/logos though).

Xater

Diamond Dynasty lets you make a team (including name/logo), but you are limited to using players you have cards for (and 1 custom player), which you earn from post-game rewards or buying packs (with stubs earned in game or using real money). Once you get the card they are yours to use for good, so there aren't X game contracts unlike Madden/NHL.

The bad news is I don't believe that you can't do a season with your DD team; you only do online or conquest (conquering territories from other teams controlled by the CPU). Otherwise you have to take a real team and make custom players (can't edit real team name/logos though).

Didn't they introduce DD seasons this year? I think I remember a video mentioning that.

ViciousDS

Banned

Never done diamond dynasty......but they don't have the bullshit contract garbage like other sports games?

That's fucking awesome

It's one of he biggest reasons I hate most card modes for sports games

Xater

Never done diamond dynasty......but they don't have the bullshit contract garbage like other sports games?

That's fucking awesome

Yes, if you own a he plays for you forever. No contracts or shit like that. That is probably a big reason why I enjoy this mode so much. It feels less restrictive.

watdaeff4

My favorite sports franchise.

Can't wait to pick this up. Though with all the other great games this year, may wait until the usual all-star game sale.

skynidas

Banned

That's fucking awesome

Yup, pretty much why I pre ordered the game, i hate the contract shit.

The Ummah

Banned
I'm ready...DD, RTTS, Retro mode. oh yeah.

giphy.gif

This made me smile :)

*Simpsons gif for everything*

I haven't played since 15, this is a perfect time to jump back in. Love the RTTS improvements.

Couleurs

Yes, if you own a he plays for you forever. No contracts or shit like that. That is probably a big reason why I enjoy this mode so much. It feels less restrictive.

Yep, the only real limitation to using players is that you can't just have one stud pitcher and use him every game, since your starting pitcher is randomly selected before the game (so it'll be your #1 vs their #1, your #2 vs their #2, etc, with rotation spot based on rating to avoid stuff like putting Kershaw as your #5 to get an unfair advantage).

It may have been just bad luck, but it felt like I very rarely got to use my #1 in MLB16.

IcyStorm

Oh, that's disappointing :( maybe I'll just do Road to the Show and save the custom stuff for Super Mega Baseball 2.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yep, the only real limitation to using players is that you can't just have one stud pitcher and use him every game, since your starting pitcher is randomly selected before the game (so it'll be your #1 vs their #1, your #2 vs their #2, etc, with rotation spot based on rating to avoid stuff like putting Kershaw as your #5 to get an unfair advantage).

It may have been just bad luck, but it felt like I very rarely got to use my #1 in MLB16.

I really wish NBA 2K would remove contracts.......they easily have enough players and licensing deals to kill it. But they also have the biggest whales ever conspired in video games outside EAs FIFA.

Do you unlock equipment for your players as well in DD?

The random select though seems like a nice trade off though. I'd take that for infinite games and no contracts

TheShocker

Picking my copy up tomorrow afternoon. Easily my favorite franchise from Sony.

I won't have time to participate in a league, but if anyone wants to play a pick up game here and there add me: TheShockerX

JasonC11

Neo Member
As somebody that's not super in to baseball, but I enjoy sitting back and playing a few games or playing with my son, are there good reasons for me to buy this if the last one I had was The Show 14?

Last season they added the classic stadiums that the PS3 version had, and this year they're adding stadiums that were replaced during the time it was on PS3, but Pre-PS4 like the Metrodome and Shea. I loved playing at some of the old stadiums, like The Polo Grounds, last season.

Damn, so much love went into that... Outstanding.

Truly. It's my favorite intro since 2012 (the one that was all about the crazy September leading up until the 2011 playoffs). Sure, I'm a little biased that that was a good one (my Orioles played a pivotal role in game 162). But, I think this new intro has it beat in terms of sheer beauty.

Mrbob

I skipped last year but I'm back in. Itching to play road to the show again with all those improvements.

I don't really care about game intros anymore either but that intro is legit amazing.

I haven't had a The Show game since 11 but I'm itching to get back in. Plus Griffey might be my favorite non-Phillies baseball player. If only my game spending wasn't going to Persona 5 soon. As soon as this goes on sale I'd like to get a copy.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Is there online versus in Retro Mode? How about a season mode of some sort?

EDIT: Found the answer - it's a big fat no.

I haven't had a The Show game since 11 but I'm itching to get back in. Plus Griffey might be my favorite non-Phillies baseball player. If only my game spending wasn't going to Persona 5 soon. As soon as this goes on sale I'd like to get a copy.

I too am getting Persona 5. I think The Show compliments it well. You can get in and out and play some RttS or online Diamond Dynasty in 30 minutes or less. Where as Persona 5 is best left for longer available game sessions.

EDIT: Got a question, I always choose SS for RttS. But is the outfield fun? What about catcher? I don't want to be a pitcher because I want to hit well...

Top Bottom