• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

This will be the general MMA thread, all news, suggestions, tips, gafs, roids here please. We'll start new threads for major news & ppvs. Next is UFC 236, if no one wants to I'll get that thread up in the next day or so.

So what is MMA?

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full-contact combat sport that allows striking and grappling, both standing and on the ground, using techniques from various combat sports and martial arts

When is it?
UFC
One Championship
Bellator
Invicta FC
PFL

What do I do?
Go to the event, or invite people over for beers & MMA. e.g. Hang with the boooys.

Make sure to have enough beers, or...

So with TJ out on PEDs and title relinquished it sounds like they want Cejudo vs Moraes for the 135 title, and Joe B. would fight again at 125, winner of that would get next crack at Cejudo at 125, thats what I read anyway

Also, as mentioned in other threads, Askren/Masvidal seems locked but they don't have a set date yet. Could be on the stacked July card since Masvidal doesnt want to fight in June apparently

manfestival

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/...urmagomedov-paulie-malignaggi-on-social-media

Looks like Conor is angling for a revenge fight. Honestly, he is probably really mentally scarred from the beat down he took from Khabib and it is showing in the fact that Conor is doing everything he can to tell himself that he is not the person that lost that day by attacking everyone else but the actual target. Granted he is calling for the rematch but he doesnt need to do everything else that he is doing.

Also looks like Mighty Mouse is still a monster at ONE. I havent watched the fights but Eddie Alvarez... He is something special. The dude manages to become a champ everywhere he goes and then falls hard from grace.

I still didn't get to watch the last 2 UFC events. I kinda saw that Barboza was going to lose from the match up as it was not favorable for him but not in that fashion.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/...urmagomedov-paulie-malignaggi-on-social-media

Looks like Conor is angling for a revenge fight. Honestly, he is probably really mentally scarred from the beat down he took from Khabib and it is showing in the fact that Conor is doing everything he can to tell himself that he is not the person that lost that day by attacking everyone else but the actual target. Granted he is calling for the rematch but he doesnt need to do everything else that he is doing.

Also looks like Mighty Mouse is still a monster at ONE. I havent watched the fights but Eddie Alvarez... He is something special. The dude manages to become a champ everywhere he goes and then falls hard from grace.

I still didn't get to watch the last 2 UFC events. I kinda saw that Barboza was going to lose from the match up as it was not favorable for him but not in that fashion.

ONE Championship event here and whole event + most full fights on their YouTube page.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/one-...i-sun-31st-march-tokyo-ot-mega-event.1474109/

diaz brothers are the best fighters in the ufc, debate me
BDjhxfJh.jpg

Paulie disrespected the GOAT. If a fight materialises, I'll watch. Great TKO by Emmett.

giphy.gif

Somehow I missed the Paulie - Artem deal. lol

Damn that GIF. That is a CLEAN knockout

Luke Thomas talked about the recent social media stuff between Khabib and Conor, with Conor insulting Khabibs wife and Khabib posting a pic of Conor and the girl he is alleged to have sexually assaulted and calling Conor a rapist. Luke compares what is going on to "Tupac and Biggie" and warns that someone is going to end up getting seriously hurt if this stuff continues

At the Conor/Khabib brawl commission hearing, the Nevada Commission basically speculated possibly getting involved directly with punishing fighters for trash talk that goes "too far" before fights. Not sure how anyone feels about that. Of course it is a slippery slope as far as what is "too far." Is anything religious/cultural/national related too far?

Conor deleted his post about Khabib's' wife

Here is Khabib's' tweet

Last edited:
Khabib should take the high road but apparently the man is completely incapable of doing such a thing lol. Oh well, here comes Conor vs Khabib 2. Expect somersaults into flying elbows and electrified cages for the rematch.

Just wait for Jose Aldo to come down from the rafters and land a Stone Cold Cutter on Conor after the ref is distracted by a KHABIB eyepoke

Former UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, in an exclusive interview with ESPN, reiterated his interest in becoming a boxer once his MMA career is over, and said it could happen soon.

"My plan is to fight Alexander Volkanovski on May 11," Aldo said last week. "Then I'll have only one fight left in my [UFC] contract, which I plan to have. But I already have another thing in mind: boxing.

Espn

UFC's return to South Florida is in need of a new main event.

The planned rematch between Yoel Romero vs. Jacare Souza at UFC Fight Night on April 27 has been canceled due to an illness by Romero, according to his manager Abraham Kawa.

Kawa said Romero became ill on March 21, with a high fever and pain throughout his body, and that the illness persisted until Sunday, when Romero told him he couldn't open his eyes.

Espn

The UFC is targeting two important bantamweight fights for their upcoming return to Chicago.

Aljamain Sterling vs. Pedro Munhoz and Jimmie Rivera vs. Petr Yan are scheduled for UFC 238 on June 8, according to sources. The fights haven't been signed just yet but have been verbally agreed.

Both Sterling (16-3) and Munhoz (17-3) will enter the bout on three-fight winning streaks. Sterling recently defeated Rivera in February, while Munhoz knocked out former bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt last month.

UFC 238 News

Boxing career for Aldo at this point in his career is unlikely. I say make those last two fights count and move, or stay & sign for a title shot.

Yoel hasn't fought since whittaker, and he's injured as well. I want Jacare to stay on the card, but who can they get.

Peter Yan I think can be champ, so excited.

If you hadn’t heard the news, the highly anticipated battle between Ronaldo Souza and Yoel Romero at UFC on ESPN 3 has been scrapped after Romero came down with a case of pneumonia. But the show must go on and now ESPN is reporting a new opponent has been found for Souza: 19-4 Swede Jack Hermansson.

While the person across the cage from “Jacare” has changed, the stakes remain the same. ESPN’s Brett Okamoto confirms that a win over Hermansson on April 27 will lock in a middleweight title shot for the Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace.

Source SBNation

Glad to hear he'll get a shot if he wins, come on Jacare. The joker can be a dodgy opponent though.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Ive heard the argument that having no gloves would require fighters to use less power to protect their hands and thus cause less brain injuries, but from what I’ve seen of bare knuckle so far, it doesn’t seem like they hold back on anything

Luke Thomas has an interesting discussion regarding criticism of the recent Bare Knuckle FC fight between Knight and Lobov being “too violent.” Luke poses the question “what makes a good fight!” while bringing up the concept of “blood and gore vs technique and strategy.”

Last edited:
Whoa I wonder what Joe is gonna say about this. He is a huge Dillashaw fan for the things that he does for recovery and etc. Like Jare said, guess the callouts were true. This is a blow for the UFC since Dillashaw FINALLY started getting traction as a fighter that people wanted to see.

Yeah.

Best case scenario moving forward is they gotta hope Cejudo wins the 135 belt in dominant fashion or in exciting fashion at least and can market him as true double champ for as long as he can last

Cody must regret throwing down wreckless in his last fight now. He could have been looking at a title shot if he had won that last fight.

Yes.

It would have worked out perfectly had Cody won against Munhoz. Perfectly.

Moraes vs Cody would have been great title fight, then they could have gone straight to Cejudo vs Benavidez 2 at 125

Or they would have gone Cejudo vs Cody, either way

Last edited:
Nunes says she wants to defend both belts

Dana says Stipe vs DC is probably next, they haven't talked to Brock (allegedly)

Askren says when he grappled with Jorge in the past, in the gym, Jorge was helpless

Askren going in on EVERYBODY

Says Kevin Lee showed up to Duke's gym once upon a time and Ben felt bad about how easily he took Kevin down

Ben calls out Dana/UFC about EPO not being tested in the past

Ben tries selling a fight vs Khabib for 165 title, USA wrestling vs Russia wrestling

Last edited:
UFC Seasonal Presser, live now

Just caught up on some of Askrens fights in one championship. Grappling wise he's already world proven. He destroyed AOKI and think he'll get a belt within the next couple of years. Khabib you can't underestimate, he has the power to deal with Askren (just watch him take DC down in sparring), so not sure if that's a fight he'll enjoy.

Will checkout rest of presser later, off to binge the one championship event, see ya in 5 hours.

Top Bottom