• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

239 is stacked to hell. Cheering for anyone fighting v bones. Rose v Andrade is a match thats very interesting. Andrade stamina & power seem to be on another level. I think Rose will struggle and get thrown around.

Askren wants the whole bucket :), his windups will & almost got him smashed.

Ngannou v JDS will be fun (I hope).

Next wrestler I hope to see in the UFC is this dude. Best wrestler in the world at 22.

I know this probably isn't the place to post this but I needed to unload this thought from my brain.

I wonder what Eddie Bravo's thoughts are about the picture of the black hole.

5UmkQtI.jpg

Source

So now that there’s this new EPO test or whatever and TJs old samples popped for it and that’s why he got two years, the debate has arisen regarding everyone’s old samples, should they all be tested, how far back should we go, etc. not sure if you guys have any opinions on it

I feel pretty bad for Cody

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
The video of TJ apologizing...I mean I’m not trying to pile on the guy but he looks like he weighs 200 pounds
his strength and conditioning guy who works out of a garage looks completely suspect in all this. as bisping said on a podcast, if anyone knew about it it would be his conditioning guy.

So now that there’s this new EPO test or whatever and TJs old samples popped for it and that’s why he got two years, the debate has arisen regarding everyone’s old samples, should they all be tested, how far back should we go, etc. not sure if you guys have any opinions on it

I feel pretty bad for Cody

Cody Gabrandt has accused T.J. Dillashaw of EPO use in the past, but apparently Dillashaw was tested for the glycoprotein cytokine after both his bouts with “No Love.”

Dillashaw vacated his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight gold after being hit with a one-year suspension from the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC). The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) dropped a bombshell with the announcement of Dillashaw’s two-year suspension due to EPO use.

Reporter Aaron Bronsteter reached out to UFC’s vice president of athlete health & performance, Jeff Novitzky. Novitzky said that Dillashaw was tested for EPO after both his bouts with Garbrandt:

“I just spoke with [Jeff Novitzky], who informed me that previous samples from TJ Dillashaw that were taken before and after his matchups with Cody Garbrandt did specifically test for EPO and all results were negative.”

https://www.mmanews.com/dillashaw-jeff-novitzky-epo-tested/

Cody Gabrandt has accused T.J. Dillashaw of EPO use in the past, but apparently Dillashaw was tested for the glycoprotein cytokine after both his bouts with “No Love.”

Dillashaw vacated his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight gold after being hit with a one-year suspension from the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC). The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) dropped a bombshell with the announcement of Dillashaw’s two-year suspension due to EPO use.

Reporter Aaron Bronsteter reached out to UFC’s vice president of athlete health & performance, Jeff Novitzky. Novitzky said that Dillashaw was tested for EPO after both his bouts with Garbrandt:

“I just spoke with [Jeff Novitzky], who informed me that previous samples from TJ Dillashaw that were taken before and after his matchups with Cody Garbrandt did specifically test for EPO and all results were negative.”

https://www.mmanews.com/dillashaw-jeff-novitzky-epo-tested/

Interesting.

Why are there conflicting reports regarding his past samples popping for EPO with this new test? Was that just speculation due to the two year sentence?

Fight night 149 - Overeem v Oleinik
Sat 20th April from St petersburg. Volkov pulled from main for USADA reasons.

Main:
EwSeBFj.jpg

Prelims:
SFJIYX3.jpg

Still with a 236 hangover but will watch. Another USADA casualty unfortunately, but was funny reading that and then watching the free fight posted where Overeem looks like he could've beaten Thanos.

Start times Europe/Asia friendly and 12pm ET for States (main card).

So for those of us who were live-reacting to UFC 236 and were critical of Kelvin’s choice to shoot for a takedown at the end of the round where he actually had Izzy hurt, the experts are talking about it now too

It’s something I’ve griped about for years. You see it all the time for, “my opponent is clearly rocked, takedown time.” Sometimes I’ve seen guy complete the finish with ground and pound, admittedly, but more often it just leads to a grappling stall where the opponent recovers or even other time
the takedown attempt leads to the aggressor being submitted by the rocked guy (we saw this a year or two ago when OSP was fucked up in first round, opponent went to grapple and got caught in submission when OSP was basically dead to rights on his feet).

It’s just something I never will understand. I understand being cautious with a rocked opponent, as they can still swing wildly and catch you, but you can still look for the finish standing without just rushing in blindly

So for those of us who were live-reacting to UFC 236 and were critical of Kelvin’s choice to shoot for a takedown at the end of the round where he actually had Izzy hurt, the experts are talking about it now too

It’s something I’ve griped about for years. You see it all the time for, “my opponent is clearly rocked, takedown time.” Sometimes I’ve seen guy complete the finish with ground and pound, admittedly, but more often it just leads to a grappling stall where the opponent recovers or even other time
the takedown attempt leads to the aggressor being submitted by the rocked guy (we saw this a year or two ago when OSP was fucked up in first round, opponent went to grapple and got caught in submission when OSP was basically dead to rights on his feet).

It’s just something I never will understand. I understand being cautious with a rocked opponent, as they can still swing wildly and catch you, but you can still look for the finish standing without just rushing in blindly

Takedown at that point wasn't the best choice, it gave him time to take a breath or two, and his defence would've handled it fully in Rd1. At 5 where you're that depleted you're ur not gonna do it. Ade has 80 or so kickboxing matches on top of his MMA stuff, so endgame defence is in his muscle memory. Gasty will learn, izzy should as well, whittaker is trickier.

Edit: Saw the clip and agree it wasn't the best choice with 41 secs left in the 4th round to go for the takedown. Izzy got his second wind and won the 5th in this case.

If Gastelum went toe to toe at that point he could've got a knockdown and it could be a different result. Izzy does need to work on his grappling and wrestling in general if he wants to continue improving, as an Askren will frustrate and submit him.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
You know what I miss? Freak shows. I know UFC is a lot more professional than Pride was, but damnit it can be entertaining seeing a proper fighting facing off against a monster, like Crocop vs Bob Sapp

Johnny Walker might be in a similar position to Zabit, where not many will want to be in the octagon with him. He is a draw though, so hopefully soon.

UFC is too corporate now for the crazy fights, there are other options. Bill Burr has commentated for Rough 'n' Rowdy boxing. It's funny and amateur.

Quite a bit of little news tidbits to go through. The awkward handshakes/hug/bow between the main guys was funny, also Mike Perry is an idiot.

St Petersburg prelims starts in just under 2 1/2 hours and main card two hours later. Should be a good event with the main & co-main looking good and Shevchenkos sister is fighting as well (will initiate perv mode appropriately).

i like those news videos

They're my favourite type of MMA news, recaps that are lighthearted and without too much fluff. The end bits are always good as well.

BT skipped some of the prelims so just saw Tybura get KOd, good start.

Mike Perry just being himself, it's on that 3rd vid.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Johnny Walker might be in a similar position to Zabit, where not many will want to be in the octagon with him. He is a draw though, so hopefully soon.

UFC is too corporate now for the crazy fights, there are other options. Bill Burr has commentated for Rough 'n' Rowdy boxing. It's funny and amateur.

I loved all of that. Really fun to watch, I miss the old Pride days where they would sometimes have crazy entrances like some of Jason Miller's classic ones.

I loved all of that. Really fun to watch, I miss the old Pride days where they would sometimes have crazy entrances like some of Jason Miller's classic ones.

It’s a shame what’s been on going on with Mayhem recently. Seems like he needs a lot of help. Loved him back on the day as well

Never forget the Diaz Bros brawl in SF

Last edited:

Check them out on YouTube, it's even crazier. The ring girls I would bet some of them if not all are "working" girls and they're nice and plump.

Bellator & One championship have better entrance vids & presentation then ufc at the moment.

Few Dagestanis fighting tonight, and a brit in next fight. Just done with work, quick pint, then train home. In a bit.

Last edited:
Daaaamn, those knees and overall power from Overeem was great. The knees got it. Good victory for him.

Amir Khan v Crawford later.

Happy 420.

manfestival

I watched the whole video of Jorge Masvidal on the JRE Podcast. I got so much more respect for him as a fighter and a person. The whole Leon Edwards altercation is 110% within his personality. Also his work ethic is really interesting. Lots of respect to him and Usman. Makes me want to start training at American Top Team. I can already crack some skulls but I want to get humbled.

Darren Till apparently still hasn't recovered from Masvidal lol.

I watched the whole video of Jorge Masvidal on the JRE Podcast. I got so much more respect for him as a fighter and a person. The whole Leon Edwards altercation is 110% within his personality. Also his work ethic is really interesting. Lots of respect to him and Usman. Makes me want to start training at American Top Team. I can already crack some skulls but I want to get humbled.

Darren Till apparently still hasn't recovered from Masvidal lol.

Yeah, I was trying to explain Jorge’s mindset after that happened in that thread. Dude came from bare knuckle streetfighting to make a living

I’m not sure he’s physical enough to keep Askren off him for long, but I’ll be watching

manfestival

Yeah, I was trying to explain Jorge’s mindset after that happened in that thread. Dude came from bare knuckle streetfighting to make a living

I’m not sure he’s physical enough to keep Askren off him for long, but I’ll be watching
Yeah I know Masvidal wants to crack Askrens jaw but I do not see it happening. Askren got smashed by Robbie and survived to smother him. Masvidal doesn't strike me as having the same power as Robbie and I imagine he will get smothered too. Usman vs Askren is gonna be what I want to see. There is too much parity going on in Welterweight. I love it.

Also
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom