• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

Carton

I really enjoyed that fight. Gracie demonstrated great patience and stuck to his game plan; Rory showed what a seasoned and well rounded veteran he is.

Prime Chael was a fun time. Good ol days. I remember him at 170 in the WEC. That weight cut must have sucked
Prime Sonnen was legit ass monster. His first Silva fight is legendary. When you can go 4.6 round with the G.O.A.T and squirt out a loss you have that special
je ne sais quoi and there's no shame in that.

Prime Sonnen was legit ass monster. His first Silva fight is legendary. When you can go 4.6 round with the G.O.A.T and squirt out a loss you have that special
je ne sais quoi and there's no shame in that.

One thing a lot of people forget about that first Silva fight was Chael was tagging Anderson a bit on the feet during the snippets of it that were standing. I know most of it was Silva on his back and Chael maintaining top position/control but Chael was game that night until he got caught.

Insane finish. I’ll never forget that night

Ornlu

Banned
That was also the first fight where everyone realized Andy's chin was gone. Then not too long after that Weidman finished cracking it completely.

Thinking back on that, man was I hyped on Weidman after the 2 Anderson fights. Not so much now!

That was also the first fight where everyone realized Andy's chin was gone. Then not too long after that Weidman finished cracking it completely.

Thinking back on that, man was I hyped on Weidman after the 2 Anderson fights. Not so much now!

The three straight losses that Weidman incurred (Rockhold to lose the belt while absorbing insane amount of damage in a fight stopped far too late, then Yoel and Mousasi just landing hellacious KO blows on him) is one of the toughest stretches I can think of for a guy still considered somewhat near the top of the game.

I mean he absorbed just a ridiculous onslaught of damage in those consecutive fights. Figured no one can fully bounce back after a run like that.

The thing is, in all those fights he had his moments, in all those fights he at one point was scoring and winning a portion (at least I think so) but just bad KOs as the end result. Similar situation in his last loss to Jacare

Last edited:
Lmao

I honestly hope he does fight Rory one day. Would be a bloodbath. I don’t see that fight making sense unless Dillon pulls off 5 or 6 straight first round finishes but hey, it’s Bellator, they don’t have to make fights that make sense, necessarily

Last edited:
Not sure how many people watch Dana White’s Contender Series but there’s a little controversy going on after the latest episode

Luke discusses

Basically, many people believe a dude who was the best fighter on the episode/card, and also won his fight, but didn’t get awarded a contract due to going for a takedown at the end of the fight to seal the decision instead of going for a finish. Dana says “I threw my pen when he shot for that takedown” and basically makes comments that some people are interpreting as “just bleed” mentality.

Not sure how anyone here feels about it. Luke has a good rundown of it all.

One thing a lot of people forget about that first Silva fight was Chael was tagging Anderson a bit on the feet during the snippets of it that were standing. I know most of it was Silva on his back and Chael maintaining top position/control but Chael was game that night until he got caught.

Insane finish. I’ll never forget that night

ehh, he popped for "trt" afterwards. even if he won it would have been a NC after the failed post-fight drug test

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Not sure how many people watch Dana White’s Contender Series but there’s a little controversy going on after the latest episode

Luke discusses

Basically, many people believe a dude who was the best fighter on the episode/card, and also won his fight, but didn’t get awarded a contract due to going for a takedown at the end of the fight to seal the decision instead of going for a finish. Dana says “I threw my pen when he shot for that takedown” and basically makes comments that some people are interpreting as “just bleed” mentality.

Not sure how anyone here feels about it. Luke has a good rundown of it all.

Dana sounded like he was in a real bad mood there. I can understand not wanting the guy cause you think he's not a good fit for UFC, but saying 'I'm sure he will be in UFC one day, but not today' makes him sound like he just wanted to be a dick.

So speaking of Chael and his PED use

I guess it all depends on how you view that era, in general. I know the old saying used to be “drug tests are more like IQ tests” because back then you knew when you’d be tested it should have been easy to plan ahead and pass the state sanctioned tests

Bispings thoughts

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
I've always been a big Chael fan; however the last couple of years where he's been out of shape and seemingly phoning it in for the easy $$$ I've stopped defending him and his antics. I'm glad he's calling it quits; He probably should have done so after the win against Shogun and gone out on a high note.

That being said, he's definitely got a worse rep than what he deserves. His skills as a showman really changed the business drastically. Some people don't appreciate the heel act; others are probably too dense to realize that it is an act. The PED usage I'm pretty "meh" about. The sport was (and still is) full of users. Most of the guys he's fought were definitely on some shit at some point in their careers. I think referring to him as the Lance Armstrong of MMA is fairly accurate in that regard, minus the dominance that Lance had in his sport.

Ornlu

Banned
With Malignaggi vs Lobov coming up in bare knuckle, here’s the Lobov v Knight fight from a few months ago

What kind of wraps were those? The cuts those guys were getting were just fucking instant. That seems like a great way to take career-shortening damage every fight.

The thought of having enough support on top of the hand to keep breaks to a minimum, so you can still swing near full force, but then also losing the padding on the knuckles that keeps cuts down is like the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

mekes

Haha, every time they let him bang they need to scoop him up from the floor with a spatula and throw him in an ambulance

Malignaggi straight up looks like a certified pedophile. His creeper eyes, blowjob lips and poked eyebrows...imagine being a girl and this guys is hitting on you. First thing on their mind is probably " will this guy strangle me or drown me at his place".

Julian 'let me bang' Lane is on this event.

Bellator in London this weekend with Mousasi fighting. Big card starting from 6 30pm GMT or so. Lots of other action and news as well. Andrade fighting in China for the belt (cute exchange) & DC - Rockhold love in.

Anyone watch bareknuckle event?

Just saw Mali v Lobov on YouTube which was lackluster. Mali messed his wrist up apparently and Lobov faked a few takedowns but won overall as this wasn't a dance like boxing.

Bellator saw Mousasi lose his title to a Gracie student. The dude was Askren in his takedown style and wasted over 4 minutes in the last round on a clinch on the ground that went nowhere except get the points.

The Korean Zombie shocked Moicano with that early combo and deserved the KO. Makes it more interesting for Max Holloway. He's got Volkanoski if he beats Edgar which won't be easy but 5 rounds is harder to grindout against someone like Max.

Zabit v Ortega/Aldo I think should be next & Zabit title fight after volkanoski.

mekes

Moicano is a new name to me. I’m a big Zombie fan, can’t believe he was ranked 12th. I know the military service and all, coming back and losing in horrible fashion. But we all know TKZ ain’t 12th! Would love to see him get a title fight soon.

Top Bottom