• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

GymWolf

is the espn+ stream quality for the ufc legit? i'm kinda tempted with the 1 year but i don't know if it works well for italy (or in general)

i saw a lot of people bitching about the quality of the stream...

also joanna is gonna destroy poor karate hottie...

Last edited:
Izzy keeps trashing Whittaker for getting dropped so many times by Yoel but dude those shots Yoel throws could drop an elephant.

Izzy vs Knuckles is gonna be a war.

Max vs Frankie should be awesome too

Last edited:
Dana confirms that both Yair Rodriguez and Brian Ortega are fighting on the Mexico card, doesn’t specifically say against each other.

No venue set for the Izzy vs Whittaker fight, but I imagine that HAS to be in Australia, right?

Khabib says “I just want to maul.” Lol

Last edited:
I better not die before this card happens

WhKySBy.jpg

GymWolf

Yeah I saw that pop up on IG an hour ago

I think that’s a bad matchup for Conor. I always hated the idea of Conor at 170 and always will. I think Conor realized that was a bad place for him too.

Jorge used to cut to 155, maybe he’d be willing to do so again for a Conor right.

Conor will only take a main event spot. That’s the issue. Cowboy/Conor didn’t happen because Conor wouldn’t accept co-main billing.

UFC always (except for maybe once that I can remember) goes with a title fight as PPV headliner but for Conor they probably just have to bend on that. Doesn’t really matter, title or no title a Conor card will sell. Maybe they invent a new interim title for him to fight for.

Regardless, I think Conor would have a tough time with Jorge at 170.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah I saw that pop up on IG an hour ago

I think that’s a bad matchup for Conor. I always hated the idea of Conor at 170 and always will. I think Conor realized that was a bad place for him too.

Jorge used to cut to 155, maybe he’d be willing to do so again for a Conor right.

Conor will only take a main event spot. That’s the issue. Cowboy/Conor didn’t happen because Conor wouldn’t accept co-main billing.

UFC always (except for maybe once that I can remember) goes with a title fight as PPV headliner but for Conor they probably just have to bend on that. Doesn’t really matter, title or no title a Conor card will sell. Maybe they invent a new interim title for him to fight for.

Regardless, I think Conor would have a tough time with Jorge at 170.

Conor used to be more defensively minded, then during the Dennis Siver fight, he started to believe in his own power too much and getting hit. From there on out, he was getting hit way too much for my liking. I made a similar post on Rousey. I agree with you, he’d have to be cautious going in. At least with Cowboy, he’s got a better chance dropping him with one shot.

mekes

I think Nate said it best.

“You seem to have it all figured out when you’re fighting midgets.”

Truest statement ever. First press conference prior to their first fight. I think Cowboy chops his legs away, Jorge would beat him, let alone those higher in the rankings, Tony would maul him, Khabib would win a rematch in the same way. Conor “won’t do nuffin.”

Just my opinion. If he had a gas tank he would have a fighting chance.

V2Tommy

What makes MMA good: anyone can beat anyone on any given day
What makes MMA bad: anyone can beat anyone on any given day

But my action favourite part is reading the comments from the armchair analysts after the fight takes place. "It was obvious it wasn't going to go as planned as soon as..."

I wish matches and rematches would happen sooner. Waiting months to see what could be a 5-second fight sucks, as is the mandatory waiting period for people to fight again. Champions that haven't fought in 6+ months is a pathetic system if this is supposed to be their career.

Awesome. Love the timing of the One events cause it’s night in Australia too

Perfect daytime watch for us in Europe as well.

one-masters-of-destiny-fight-card.jpg

But my action favourite part is reading the comments from the armchair analysts after the fight takes place. "It was obvious it wasn't going to go as planned as soon as..."

I wish matches and rematches would happen sooner. Waiting months to see what could be a 5-second fight sucks, as is the mandatory waiting period for people to fight again. Champions that haven't fought in 6+ months is a pathetic system if this is supposed to be their career.

Are you joining our team of premium GAF armchair analysts. Just pop in and analyse in the thread with us. One championship event starting now, UFC tomorrow.

WcSJsnF.jpg

Source, other cards & starting times in your area.

Ornlu

Banned

I don't think anyone can beat anyone; barring NC or DQ rulings. Styles make fights, and if you are the #1 striker on the planet but think wrestling is for the gays and don't learn to be well rounded, you could be taken down by say the #10 in your weight class and lose. But someone who is well rounded AND talented isn't going to be beaten by randos.

V2Tommy

I don't think anyone can beat anyone; barring NC or DQ rulings. Styles make fights, and if you are the #1 striker on the planet but think wrestling is for the gays and don't learn to be well rounded, you could be taken down by say the #10 in your weight class and lose. But someone who is well rounded AND talented isn't going to be beaten by randos.

My dad could beat up your dad.

I have nothing to add because someone on here will argue because reasons.

Ornlu

Banned
Your dad probably could kick my dad's ass, lol. Mine is a big athlete, but he's definitely a "lover not a fighter".

There are many unknowns in MMA, but I don't think it makes it mad. It speaks to that this is the toughest sport. The fastest evolving sport with the highest stakes. When you lose in Octagon you win a spoonful of dementia as your clock to irrelevance and fighting cans trickles down. Father Time rapes us all, but fighters more than others.

I also think there things we as spectators cannot see. The mental toughness of the fighters is probably the biggest unknown. We know that the better fighters lose to a worse fighter on a bad day or if they have an adrenaline dump. A fighter is just not themselves once Phobos shows up. And because you cannot visually see that mental struggle as a spectator, it feels like that everyone can beat everyone. But I don't think thats the case.

I just think domination without losses is more difficult in MMA than in any other sport. Its what makes it exciting. But at the same time, I don't think it is helpful to just look at fighters K:D ratios to assume who is the best. Many fighters have impressive records but didnt fight anyone of note who was able to do damage while you have other fighters with many losses but who survived or even won against someone of the most dominating fighters themselves. Fighting is interesting because of the people, not just how the judges score a fight and letting that be the deciding factor.

Cool to watch Ryan Hall fight again. Outstanding BJJ skills.

I’m going GDR over Ladd. After Ladd’s last win I noted two fighters I felt were real problems for Ladd’s style/skills and GDR was one of them.

Going Simon over Faber.

Top Bottom