• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

2Wtdrv1.jpg

Looking forward to this one, if Zabit wins convincingly he can't be more than 1 fight away from a belt shot. Volkov if smart will hopefully beat Hardy.

It's in Moscow so the times are good for Europe, Check the link up there for times.

Last month or so I've had a lot of nonsense to deal with, so activity here will be sporadic.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Zabit is going to have problems against top 5 guys in a 5 rounder. Im not saying he’ll get outclassed or exposed, cause I’m not. He’s good. But his output slows down the third round and on.

Just caught main & co-main. Hardy ls improving, his blitz offense might work against less experienced fighters, but Volkov stayed disciplined and hopefully this'll get his confidence back.

Zabits cardio does need major improvement, a staph infection apparently hindered his preparation and thus led to the 3 round main.

Technique was great as usual and the lack of stamina was readily apparent. A fight with Max or volkanovski needs to happen. Zabit will need cardio up the ying yang as max is volume heavy, anyone else he can handle.

KZ hopefully smashes Ortega and we can get some entertaining matchups. I don't understand why Ortega is still #2 in the rankings, I've said it before & I'll keep saying it, inactivity when you're not injured should be penalised. KZ is legit though, and if it stays on the feet it could be similar to what happened against Max.

ftRHaCQ.jpg

Zabit needs one or two more before taking on Holloway or Volkanovskik, if we don't see him improve his cardio in his next one or two matches hes got no chance IMO. I think Zabit gets winner of zombie vs Ortega or Aldo vs Moraes, then maybe a shot at the belt. Good to hear the cardio issue could've been due to staph. Otherwise he would really need to get his shit together if wants a title.

mekes

Just watched Ariels interview with Nick Diaz. The comments are flooded with people saying he needs help. I’m in 2 minds. It would be easy to think that about a Nick Diaz that actually wants to talk, but he seems much the same as 10-15 years ago to me. Im also watching knowing he has bad anxiety issues and smokes a lot to deal with it.

Thoughts?

Zabit needs one or two more before taking on Holloway or Volkanovskik, if we don't see him improve his cardio in his next one or two matches hes got no chance IMO. I think Zabit gets winner of zombie vs Ortega or Aldo vs Moraes, then maybe a shot at the belt. Good to hear the cardio issue could've been due to staph. Otherwise he would really need to get his shit together if wants a title.

Agreed. He's very active, switching stances 10 times a minute and mixing countless disciplines. I really liked his technique in this for the first couple of rounds, he got into the pocket, countered well and has a tenancy to try to outshine his opposition in their chosen discipline. That arrogance is good for now, but the tank needs work and I think he'll get there

Agreed. He's very active, switching stances 10 times a minute and mixing countless disciplines. I really liked his technique in this for the first couple of rounds, he got into the pocket, countered well and has a tenancy to try to outshine his opposition in their chosen discipline. That arrogance is good for now, but the tank needs work and I think he'll get there
Super active and doesn't only head hunt, with a bigger tank he will be a total killer.

Ben Askren retires.
Damn. The UFC took his soul. Factor in the bogus stoppage against Robbie and...

Can we get MM back?...

Yeah he said he needs a hip replacement so I don't blame him, some dude's know the right time to get out.
I always think about Bisping, if he retired earlier maybe he wouldn't have a glass eye, but he would undoubtedly have less money in his bank account.

Ornlu

Banned
Super active and doesn't only head hunt, with a bigger tank he will be a total killer.

Yeah he said he needs a hip replacement so I don't blame him, some dude's know the right time to get out.
I always think about Bisping, if he retired earlier maybe he wouldn't have a glass eye, but he would undoubtedly have less money in his bank account.

He's had a glass eye/fucked eye for a LONG time. Amazing that he went that long without having any peripherals on one side to see shots coming.

He's had a glass eye/fucked eye for a LONG time. Amazing that he went that long without having any peripherals on one side to see shots coming.
Yeah he first got the detached retina in 2013 but the corrective surgery success rate is 85%.
He had 11 fights after the injury but certainly didn't have to take every single one of those, Cung le, C.B, Dollaway, Henderson, Gastelum,
why did he take those fights? All his choice of course, I would rather have two working eyes then extra money is all I'm saying.

But yeah I wonder what the athletic commissions vision tests are like, non existent?

Ornlu

Banned
Yeah he first got the detached retina in 2013 but the corrective surgery success rate is 85%.
He had 11 fights after the injury but certainly didn't have to take every single one of those, Cung le, C.B, Dollaway, Henderson, Gastelum,
why did he take those fights? All his choice of course, I would rather have two working eyes then extra money is all I'm saying.

But yeah I wonder what the athletic commissions vision tests are like, non existent?

Don't quote me, but I doubt they do a vision test unless it's an obvious issue. Athletic commissions are generally pretty poorly run affairs, that have no reason to fail someone unless there is a very obvious reason. I imagine if Bisping had been public about it, he would not have been cleared for a fight ever again. There are also guys who don't want to risk having a contact get lodged behind their eye, or risk having their Lasik scars burst and reopen and so decide to go into the cage without being able to see well. There's a lot of incentive for them to keep quiet about it as well.

Don't quote me, but I doubt they do a vision test unless it's an obvious issue. Athletic commissions are generally pretty poorly run affairs, that have no reason to fail someone unless there is a very obvious reason. I imagine if Bisping had been public about it, he would not have been cleared for a fight ever again. There are also guys who don't want to risk having a contact get lodged behind their eye, or risk having their Lasik scars burst and reopen and so decide to go into the cage without being able to see well. There's a lot of incentive for them to keep quiet about it as well.

True, I know Joe Frazier was nearly blind in one eye and that was kept a secret, but that was forever ago so I wondered if something had changed. And yeah I agree about the incentives, the USADA shit with Jon and Nate is pretty sketchy.

KOMANI

KOMANI

Predictions? McGregor vs Mayweather rematch in the Octagon? lol

If that’s a recent photo of Floyd, then he looks better than he has since before he last 2 “fights”. I doubt he’ll seriously box anyone. This might be something to catapult Zuffa Boxing, with Mayweather Promotions aiding. Regardless, Floyd news=Good news for Boxing.

Hopefully the fight actually happens this time, matchup has been cursed by injuries every time before

KHABIB vs Tony is targeted for April

Last edited:

mekes

Hopefully the fight actually happens this time, matchup has been cursed by injuries every time before

I was really hoping for sooner. I thought it was going to be Jan/Feb 🙁

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Khabib staying busy from what I've seen and hasn't had any issues last few fights since getting a nutritionist to limit those double cheeseburgers. He's planning to open a gym in Dagestan so we might see a few more of those guys in the next few years.

Khabibs cousin Umar looks good at 135. He's 11-0, has combat sambo experience and decent ground game. Would like to hopefully see him at UFC, think he can give triple c a good scrap.

His last fight, Goddard reffing

Edit: Brain farts.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The fight is at 170lbs? I’m leaning towards Donald.
Why?

He is gonna stand up against conor...
The only chance for him is to try a takedown and use his submission game but conor takedown defense is not that bad, especially after he trained for khabib.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Why?

He is gonna stand up against conor...
The only chance for him is to try a takedown and use his submission game but conor takedown defense is not that bad, especially after he trained for khabib.
Because Conor has not fought since Khabib, and his cardio was never great. I think he’ll gas after the first. Cerone is very chinney though. If the fight was at 155, Cerone is easier to KO. At 170, after a one year lay off (the last mma fight before that one was 2016), being a father, getting into trouble on a monthly basis, starting a new business... I just don’t think we’re getting the Conor we remember. If Cerone doesn’t get KOed early, he wins the later half of the fight.

GymWolf

Because Conor has not fought since Khabib, and his cardio was never great. I think he’ll gas after the first. Cerone is very chinney though. If the fight was at 155, Cerone is easier to KO. At 170, after a one year lay off (the last mma fight before that one was 2016), being a father, getting into trouble on a monthly basis, starting a new business... I just don’t think we’re getting the Conor we remember. If Cerone doesn’t get KOed early, he wins the later half of the fight.
I can just hope that you are right, seeing cerone beating the shit out of conor would be one of the highlights of 2020.

But it's not gonna happen...

KOMANI

KOMANI
I can just hope that you are right, seeing cerone beating the shit out of conor would be one of the highlights of 2020.

But it's not gonna happen...
I like both fighters. I root for underdogs. I would put money on this fight. But on paper, Conor knocks out Cerrone within first 3.

SpiceRacz

I think he'll be fine. He didn't really gas against Khabib, plus he won't be cutting much weight at all. Cerrone has no fucking head movement and keeps his chin in the air. It's Conor's fight to lose.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think he'll be fine. He didn't really gas against Khabib, plus he won't be cutting much weight at all. Cerrone has no fucking head movement and keeps his chin in the air. It's Conor's fight to lose.
And cerrone reaches when he rushes with punches. And if he doesn’t stop doing it, he’ll get KOed early.

Luke covers why Conor vs Cowboy is at 170

I’ve said in the past that I hate Conor at 170 and I still feel the same way (he’s definitely most vulnerable at 170) but I understand the business decision.

If he wins it opens up numerous more fight possibilities, specifically Masvidal

if he loses he has the “well I’m a 155er” marketing excuse

Still, I would have preferred he stuck with 155

Top Bottom