• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA General |OT| We just wanna bang GAF

Midn1ght

Just saw it, terrible news. Always enjoyed watching his fights and he always seems to be a nice and humble guy outside the cage.

RIP legend! ✨

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
284 was a surprisingly awesome card. A lot of great knockouts/brawls on the whole card. I think Volk got robbed personally. I didn't have a dog in the fight and if I was a betting man, i would have bet on Islam to win pretty decidedly, but he didn't win that fight. It all comes down to whether you believe Volk won that 2nd round. Islam won rounds 1 and 5 but I thought Volk won 2,3, and 4. Either way great card and very impressive showing from Volk. I'm now a huge fan.

EDMIX

Volk won the fight, Makashev won the judges decision. He was completely wrecked by the end of the fight and then calls himself the best in the world, l o l

Islam did more to win, thus would be more "wrecked" as you need to consider he wasn't just striking solely, he was taking him down multiple times, had the most control time and left it all in there. He is just the most complete of the 2 and how tired he was at the end very much showed he was not just focusing on the stand up, but the take downs, grappling etc.

Even watching it live, I knew before the 5th round was done Islam likely won. How you score MMA, you can't just have 1 out of 3 criteria and expect to win. Even in the striking, Islam has more accuracy and out struck him for one of the rounds, so when you add in that, the take downs and control time, using how you score MMA, how does Volk win?

Last edited:

EDMIX

284 was a surprisingly awesome card. A lot of great knockouts/brawls on the whole card. I think Volk got robbed personally. I didn't have a dog in the fight and if I was a betting man, i would have bet on Islam to win pretty decidedly, but he didn't win that fight. It all comes down to whether you believe Volk won that 2nd round. Islam won rounds 1 and 5 but I thought Volk won 2,3, and 4. Either way great card and very impressive showing from Volk. I'm now a huge fan.

No disrespect, but this is one of the worst takes I've heard thus far. (Islam wins this fight, the 5 round 100% was not his lol)

Islam wins rounds 1 and 2 easily, those are the rounds most agree with from what I've seen, round 4 is easily his as well you can't get take down, have your back taken for legit 3 plus minutes and be like "volk won", nothing there on how we score MMA can point to a 4 round going to Volk.

The 3rd round for many is the toss up (funny enough, the 3rd round is where Islam out strikes Volk and cuts him open)

I can only give the 5 round to Volk. 100% by the time the fight was done based on how I know MMA is scored, I already knew Volk lost.

So I can see how the judges scored it Islam 4 rounds to 1, I can see how they can score it 3 rounds to 2 etc. There is an argument for both, but as far as I can see, there is zero creditable argument using the exact MMA scoring system to give Volk this fight.

I've yet to even hear 1 actual logical one. You simply can't win a fight like this losing out on 2 of the 3 criteria to win.

os6a6Ba.jpg

bUngxyl.jpg

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Fight week, baby. Not sure about the rest of you, but this is my most anticipated fight of the year, so far.

So excited. I think my first UFC as an adult was Jones vs. Rashad Evans and I was just blown away.

If Shang Tsung came down and said, "Earth, give me your best warrior", I'm juicing Jon Jones to the gills and offering him as the chosen one.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Forgot to link this

UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman 3 - London, England - March 18

I had Usman winning in the second match until Edwards got that kick right at the end I think I’ll go with Usman, but this fight isn’t going to be at altitude so Edwards doesn’t have to worry about gassing out too fast and his strikes might have more sting to them I think he’ll be able to put up a better fight this time and who knows maybe he’ll land another headshot I think Usman might be more cautious standing with Edwards this time around.

Joramun

Forgot to link this

UFC 286: Edwards vs. Usman 3 - London, England - March 18

I had Usman winning in the second match until Edwards got that kick right at the end I think I’ll go with Usman, but this fight isn’t going to be at altitude so Edwards doesn’t have to worry about gassing out too fast and his strikes might have more sting to them I think he’ll be able to put up a better fight this time and who knows maybe he’ll land another headshot I think Usman might be more cautious standing with Edwards this time around.
Rooting for Leon but honestly if the fight isn't boring and both fighters aren't playing safe then it'll be good no matter the outcome.

GymWolf

Really great card this week:

smith vs walker
rozenstruik vs almeida
morono vs means
garry vs rodriguez
ulberg vs potieria

And even some eyecandy with jessica rose clark.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Really great card this week:

smith vs walker
rozenstruik vs almeida
morono vs means
garry vs rodriguez
ulberg vs potieria

And even some eyecandy with jessica rose clark.
That is a good card. I had no idea. After the freakshow Youtuber Boxing match, I'm gonna catch this.

GymWolf

Insane deal for Ngannou. The contract also stipulates his opponents make 1 million minimum. Lord knows the UFC was never going to meet those demands.

Ufc offered the highest pay of any fighter in ufc history plus ppv shares to ngannou for his fight with jones, we are talking about 10-12 mil for one fight plus the absolute fame that goes with defeating the arguable GOAT of the sport.

When the box promoter are gonna see how much of a shitty draw he is (he was shitty in the ufc against famous fighters, imagine against pfl champion...) They are not gonna offer big money for him.

This deal can really backfire on him.

SpiceRacz

Ufc offered the highest pay of any fighter in ufc history plus ppv shares to ngannou for his fight with jones, we are talking about 10-12 mil for one fight plus the absolute fame that goes with defeating the arguable GOAT of the sport.

When the box promoter are gonna see how much of a shitty draw he is (he was shitty in the ufc against famous fighters, imagine against pfl champion...) They are not gonna offer big money for him.

This deal can really backfire on him.

Highest paid heavyweight, not highest paid fighter. He's getting paid 8 - 10 million, plus he receives a portion of net profit from the company and a separate salary from his PFL Africa role. Not to mention, he'll make millions alone from being able to have his own sponsors in the cage. The dude is going to make more money in the next few years than he'll ever make in the UFC with the added freedom to go box or do whatever the fuck he wants.

GymWolf

Highest paid heavyweight, not highest paid fighter. He's getting paid 8 - 10 million, plus he receives a portion of net profit from the company and a separate salary from his PFL Africa role. Not to mention, he'll make millions alone from being able to have his own sponsors in the cage. The dude is going to make more money in the next few years than he'll ever make in the UFC with the added freedom to go box or do whatever the fuck he wants.

You think box promoters are gonna offer big money after the absolute shit numbers is gonna draw in pfl?

We are gonna see soon if this is gonna pay off in the long run like he hopes.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
You think box promoters are gonna offer big money after the absolute shit numbers is gonna draw in pfl?

We are gonna see soon if this is gonna pay off in the long run like he hopes.
Money was not why he refused the UFC offer. Freedom was. He is already winning, even if he fight only one fight. It would not be a good as the UFC, but maybe it will be good enough. For the rest, I think that as long as he fight a good boxing match he will be better off than if he stayed in the UFC. Shame for the Ngannou/ Jones supermatch. That would have been great to see.

GymWolf

Money was not why he refused the UFC offer. Freedom was. He is already winning, even if he fight only one fight. It would not be a good as the UFC, but maybe it will be good enough. For the rest, I think that as long as he fight a good boxing match he will be better off than if he stayed in the UFC. Shame for the Ngannou/ Jones supermatch. That would have been great to see.
Yeah, the narrative is always gonna be that he was scared of jon jones, or at least this is what the ufc is gonna promote.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Yeah, the narrative is always gonna be that he was scared of jon jones, or at least this is what the ufc is gonna promote.
Yes, but the UFC does it all the time. The fans will see through it sooner or later. And a new generation of fighter is coming. They know how much money there is and how much the UFC is taking for themselves.

There is competition and the UFC is not the only organisation. They will have to change in my opinion. And Ngannou, like Khabib and some others that are moving from just fighting to do more around the sport. Be it training, creating camps/organisations/new rules, advise, do youtube videos about it...

The MMA sport is young and will continue to change. That is why I am happy to see him do this deal. He can do a lot of good, but this will need work and being smart. Maybe he will fail. But it seems that he is trying at least.

SpiceRacz

It's lower competition and more pay with the freedom to box. Not even including the boxing stuff, he'll make considerably more money than he would in the UFC.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's lower competition and more pay with the freedom to box. Not even including the boxing stuff, he'll make considerably more money than he would in the UFC.
it depends of the fights. A trilogy VS Jones could be worth a lot. But he will be well paid now no matter what.

Top Bottom