• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

yacobod

Banned
I really don't think the UFC is of the mindstate that they "might have to" give Reem a title shot. If Reem gets licensed they'll hop and skip all the way to the bank together hand in hand.

How in the world is he going to get a license to fight, when he was already on a conditional license that required him to pass 2 additional drug tests? And then goes an immediately gets popped for steroids/testosterone/or"TRT". If the fight goes on w/out a hitch, it shows that the entire sport and the UFC's stance against doping is a complete FARCE.

Now as many of you know, I'm for the wild wild west when it comes to performance enhancing drug use. I liked Pride because there was no pretext of these guys being clean or being tested, but Uncle Dana claims that the UFC is the cleanest professional "sport", when time and time again it's proven to be a sham.

Let's call a spade a spade. This is human cockfighting.

Heel

Heel, I'm going to pick up my iPad now. I chose to go with the 32GB one. Hopefully you guys can recommend me some apps.

Add [Slade] including the brackets to your GameCenter list and I'll add you whenever the hell they decide to ship my iPad.

General apps, NeoGAF's best of iOS is a good starting point. You could always ask in the thread on specific app categories.

As far as games go, NeoGAF's best iOS games of all time is a good list. To keep up with newer games try the NeoGAF iOS games thread.

If you get backlogged, sign up with AppShopper.com to create a want list and they'll email you or alert you with their app when the apps you mark go on sale.

Heel

How in the world is he going to get a license to fight, when he was already on a conditional license that required him to pass 2 additional drug tests? And then goes an immediately gets popped for steroids/testosterone/or"TRT". If the fight goes on w/out a hitch, it shows that the entire sport and the UFC's stance against doping is a complete FARCE.

Now as many of you know, I'm for the wild wild west when it comes to performance enhancing drug use. I liked Pride because there was no pretext of these guys being clean or being tested, but Uncle Dana claims that the UFC is the cleanest professional "sport", when time and time again it's proven to be a sham.

Yeah, I have no idea why people are so confident Reem will get licensed on a technicality. It would be egg on the face of the commission and the UFC if he walks. Seems like a long shot to me.

TheNatural

My Member!

Well they could get around this if they really wanted. UFC is a sanctioned sport, but they travel to all kinds of places where the commission technically has no jurisdiction.

In the first place, Nevada only holds up their state. Most states play copycat not wanting to go against the main commission, but some have (Tyson getting licensed in different states, Barnett getting licensed in different states, etc.)

Second, they could take this fight out of the country if they wanted. There is no commission in Brazil for instance. They could flat out say "fuck you Nevada, we'll just go to Brazil and put this fight as the co main event for Silva-Sonnen."

So I mean, they're not completely saying fuck you to the rules. If they wanted to, they obviously could, they haven't went that far though ... yet.

yacobod

Banned
I think the UFC has everything to lose and nothing to gain by letting Reem walk and proceeding with the fight. It would be a huge public opinion black eye and unnecessary bad press. JDS/Reem isn't going to draw any better than JDS/Mir or JDS/Hunt on ppv. This ppv has a ceiling of 300-400k buys, so I don't really think it matters who is on the headline marquee. Overeem isn't a draw outside of internet message boards.

DKehoe

I really don't think the UFC is of the mindstate that they "might have to" give Reem a title shot. If Reem gets licensed they'll hop and skip all the way to the bank together hand in hand.

They might be happy about it or could view it as a potential PR disaster, particularly if Overeem wins the title. Could give the sport a reputation that sponsors and Fox don't want to be associated with.

Heel

I don't disagree with you guys on it being a bad idea with the sport's future in mind, but if the card goes on as planned it will do more than 300-400k buys. It'll be too hot of a fight. Plus the casuals love them some heavyweights.

The fact that it took this long for the Reem to get popped in and of itself proves that the whole athletic commission testing system is already a farce.

Also, since when did steroid use itself make something that would otherwise be a sport, no longer a sport?

yacobod

Banned
I don't disagree with you guys on it being a bad idea with the sport's future in mind, but if the card goes on as planned it will do more than 300-400k buys. It'll be too hot of a fight. Plus the casuals love them some heavyweights.

ufc 146 will be lucky to do 50% of the buys for 145.

you can take that to the bank. the BLOOD BANK.

dream

Cause it would confirm what we all suspect: the NSAC and Zuffa do not give a shit about PED use in the mixed martials.

Heel

ufc 146 will be lucky to do 50% of the buys for 145.

you can take that to the bank. the BLOOD BANK.

ibfLkpgsjFsXaQ.jpg

Let's not forget that Sonnen had an even higher T/E ratio from a test taken right after his fight with Andy. And Reem, if he is lucky enough to be licensed, will most likely have an acceptable T/E ratio during his fight with JDS. A double standard is being applied here.

TheNatural

My Member!
Let's not forget that Sonnen had an even higher T/E ratio from a test taken right after his fight with Andy. And Reem, if he is lucky enough to be licensed, will most likely have an acceptable T/E ratio during his fight with JDS. A double standard is being applied here.

But Sonnen sounds like an old school dubya dubya F wrassler so that means he gets off the hook for anything from real estate fraud, to boring ass fights, to roiding.

yacobod

Banned

what does Sonnen have to do with Overeem failing a drug test? he served his six month suspension.

OH YA NOTHING. cheating's cool as long as my favorite roid head isn't the one getting caught.

TheNatural

My Member!
what does Sonnen have to do with Overeem failing a drug test? he served his six month suspension.

OH YA NOTHING. cheating's cool as long as my favorite roid head isn't the one getting caught.

Probably the fact that his suspension was changed from 6 months to indefinitely because he flat out lied about being approved for TRT use and talking to the NSAC director personally:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chael_Sonnen#CSAC_Suspensions_and_Appeals

But as it turns out, the indefinitely was a technicality, because it just happened to be over when his license was up a little over a month later.

So basically, Overeem can use the whole technicality route here, saying he was never approved for a license anyway and start over like Sonnen did when his was up.

A lot of fucked up technicality shit here, but Sonnen basically got off on this shit even though he flat out lied under oath about TRT.

dream

You know what says it all? Cyborg denied she was using all the way to her hearing, then admitted it and the commissioner put a motion on the table to reduce her suspension to 6 months because of her contrition.

They don't care if anyone's using. They just don't want anyone to be dumb enough to get caught.

Reem is being held to a different standard than the other fighters. Did anyone from UFC 145 get random drug testing? What about Dan Henderson, I bet you if he was tested randomly they'd catch him on a day when his T/E ratio shot through the roof.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'm disgusted with mma gaf. I say ban all these cheaters. /high horse
Might be a way for the current crop of Ultimate Scrubs to get a shot at a title, because they sure as hell ain't getting there otherwise.

dream

Reem is being held to a different standard than the other fighters. Did anyone from UFC 145 get random drug testing? What about Dan Henderson, I bet you if he was tested randomly they'd catch him on a day when his T/E ratio shot through the roof.

But they randomly tested everyone who showed up for the 146 presser. And I think Hendo is licensed for TRT in Nevada.

He's being held to a different standard since he couldn't follow the rules for his fight with Brock.
Brock was also playing fast and loose with those same rules. Plus, there was still random drug testing happening for these guys when it's not happening with anyone else.

IMO if random drug testing is going to go down, they can't pick and choose who to do it to. They need to do it across the fucking board. Watch how many of these fighters get caught *cough* GSP *cough*

Also, just because Hendo is licensed for TRT this doesn't give him the right to have something like a 14:1 T/E ratio. It just allows him to normalize his T/E ratio.

lots of casuals have seen anderson silva dominate the ufc w/highlight reel KOs for 5+ years, but he hasn't drawn shit until paired up with Chael Sonnen.
Well, some of my casual friends stopped liking Silva after the Cote fight. Then the Leites and Maia fights really made people hesitant to order a ppv with him as the main. Up until then if he was on the card, everyone I knew wanted to watch.

People just saw JDS ko Cain in a minute. They can play that and Reem kicking Brock over and over. Casuals actually saw those fights so it'll have even more of a hype impact.

My issue with PEDS is that they are an unfair advantage because they are illegal. But otherwise I don't think they undercut the work these guys are putting in. Whether they should be illegal...I see the point that kids look up to these guys. But a lot of training is not necessarily "healthy" for a regular person. People need to be more educated and kids need to stop looking up to pro athletes so much. But since that won't happen any time soon, I guess we need these laws to protect the ignorant.

Heel

Honorary MMA-GAF member FrontRowBrian coming through with the flavor.

@FrontRowBrian - Is UFC showing favoritism to Jon Jones by sponsoring him? Sure. They've had their favorites before. UFC is about entertainment. Not sport

@FrontRowBrian - Just got word that @UFC is also a clothing sponsor for @Alistairovereem should he be allowed to fight at UFC 146. (which I predict he will)

@ToddAtkins2 - That's why MMA will never be truly mainstream. It falls more into sports entertainment category.

@FrontRowBrian - Yes, Agree.

ibjwyGRhZRXrXq.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!

@FrontRowBrian - Is UFC showing favoritism to Jon Jones by sponsoring him? Sure. They've had their favorites before. UFC is about entertainment. Not sport

@FrontRowBrian - Just got word that @UFC is also a clothing sponsor for @Alistairovereem should he be allowed to fight at UFC 146. (which I predict he will)

@ToddAtkins2 - That's why MMA will never be truly mainstream. It falls more into sports entertainment category.

ibjwyGRhZRXrXq.jpg

Probably still less so than the Lakers getting games fixed for them back in the early 2000's.

Yeah, casuals won't watch MMA because the UFC sponsors a couple of their fighters...

What the fuck IS "sports entertainment" anyways?

No other professional sport would hold up to this retarded purity test.

Let's be real. No one here wants random testing. No one wants to see a fight where guys are under trained and have the cardio of a 67 year old BJ Penn. People just need to accept that not everyone has the genetics of current GOAT GSP or future greatest of all-time Jon Jones so the other guys are going to have to cycle just to compete with them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, casuals won't watch MMA because the UFC sponsors a couple of their fighters...

No other professional sport would hold up to this retarded purity test.

Roger Goodell would not put up with this shit. Let him run the Ultimate.

Heel

That blonde news anchor was very cute and would make a good ring girl.

Holy shit at the Maloofs wanting to renovate Arco. They've been arguing against that very idea for almost a decade now. Not to mention the mayor is ex-NBA'er Kevin Johnson, who is blowing the city budget and bending over backwards in the midst of a recession to keep a sports team.

I'm over it, the Kings are dead to me.

yacobod

Banned

OT2 VINDICATED - once branded heretical and blasphemous by MMA purists, yacobod & dream with their Nostradamus-like prescient predictions are victorious :)

polyh3dron said:

Read the OP friend:
KING MO said:
Chael Sonnen is a genius!!! He gets it. MMA aint true martial arts. Its Sports Entertainment!!!

Brian Fellows said:
Every game in the NBA is fixed. No real basketball fan watches that shit.

THATS RACIST!

yacobod

Banned
I really think it sets a terrible precedent for the UFC to be sponsoring and backing a fighter as outwardly as they are of JBJ in this match. Imagine this goes to a close or controversial decision and JBJ gets the nod.

People will be calling shenanigans like no other.

Next thing Uncle Dana will be selling toys, shirts, and caps like Vince at events.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya gotta love the Hunt..its like the old Five deadly Venoms and He's the Toad style.
Unfortunately everyone knows his weakness is the Kimora or americana

Top Bottom