MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

bone_and_sinew said:
He was supposed to fight Daniel Ghita this weekend too if he hadn't gone to boxing ;...;
What a waste.
It got cancelled because Ghita is anticipating K-1 putting on a Final 16 in October, not because Badr is going to boxing. That fight would've been an awesome fight though. Two of my favorites in kickboxing.

I really doubt it's the last we've seen of Badr in the kickboxing realm. I figure he'd be a part of the Final 16 as well. There just hasn't been any regular paychecks for these guys in forever, so they're branching out to other combat sports. Like Sp*ng and Saki to MMA, etc.

If we never see a Badr vs. Overeem rubber match it'll be because Overeem signed to the UFC, not because Badr started boxing. We might not even see Overeem in a GP this year if he's not signed to the UFC, for fear of losing and his stock diving before signing a contract.
 
205 was way better a few years ago with great fighters and personalities

We had

Chuck
Rampage
Hendo
Wandy
Forrest
Shogun
Coleman
Vitor
Ortiz
Machida
Evans
T.Silva
Vera

I couldn't care less about Phil Davis, Ryan Bader and Jon Jones.
 
I like how all the Overeem haters said he was ducking Bigfoot by pulling out with an injury, but now that he started negotiating with the UFC they've gone quiet.
 
dream said:
Horrible fight for Rughes. Josh will end his career, if not his life.
Nope, Kos was talking about having his first fight back at MW. He's gonna have a tough weight cut and his gas tank will be fucked I think. This gives Hughes a chance.
sien916 said:
I like how all the Overeem haters said he was ducking Bigfoot by pulling out with an injury, but now that he started negotiating with the UFC they've gone quiet.
Overeem haters are annoying as FUCK.
 

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Host Samurai said:
205 was way better a few years ago with great fighters and personalities

We had

Chuck
Rampage
Hendo
Wandy
Forrest
Shogun
Coleman
Vitor
Ortiz
Machida
Evans
T.Silva
Vera

I couldn't care less about Phil Davis, Ryan Bader and Jon Jones.
Most of those guys are still around. Thing is the gap between the top 5 guys and the rest of the division seems pretty huge right now.

sien916 said:
I like how all the Overeem haters said he was ducking Bigfoot by pulling out with an injury, but now that he started negotiating with the UFC they've gone quiet.
MMA fans love calling fighters a pussy at the first opportunity. Nothing new there.
 

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
sien916 said:
I like how all the Overeem haters said he was ducking Bigfoot by pulling out with an injury, but now that he started negotiating with the UFC they've gone quiet.
I'm pretty sure that when he's signed on to fight for the No. 1 contender to the Heavyweight Title they'll come out of the woodwork.
 
sien916 said:
I like how all the Overeem haters said he was ducking Bigfoot by pulling out with an injury, but now that he started negotiating with the UFC they've gone quiet.
Overeem deserves all the criticism in the world for his fight against werdum. That might have been one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a winning effort. But I guess it's not his fault that his fanboys lost sense of reality and started worshipping reem for beating up cans in japan and k1.

He might have the worst cardio at heavyweight, like tuf competitor bad. But I guess that's ok when u have k1 level striking.
 
polyh3dron said:
Nope, Kos was talking about having his first fight back at MW. He's gonna have a tough weight cut and his gas tank will be fucked I think. This gives Hughes a chance.
Even after 18 UFC fights, I'm still not sure if Koscheck is any good. He seems to have a new gameplan every time out. I'd probably put him at -165 but I have no idea how the fight will end.
 
yacobod said:
Overeem deserves all the criticism in the world for his fight against werdum. That might have been one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a winning effort. But I guess it's not his fault that his fanboys lost sense of reality and started worshipping reem for beating up cans in japan and k1.

He might have the worst cardio at heavyweight, like tuf competitor bad. But I guess that's ok when u have k1 level striking.
Well the man who is considered the best P4P fighter in the world right now is not too far removed from TWO fights just as bad, if not worse than the Overeem vs. Werdum fight.
 
yacobod said:
Overeem deserves all the criticism in the world for his fight against werdum. That might have been one of the worst displays I've ever seen in a winning effort. But I guess it's not his fault that his fanboys lost sense of reality and started worshipping reem for beating up cans in japan and k1.

He might have the worst cardio at heavyweight, like tuf competitor bad. But I guess that's ok when u have k1 level striking.
What does the Werdum fight have to do with ducking opponents? If anything fighting Werdum proves he's ducking no one. He's already lost to the guy. Negotiating to fight in the UFC confirms that fact.

Say what you will about Overeem's cardio, you should be complaining about Werdum for how shitty that fight was.
 
Yep if Overeem isn't any good because of that Werdum fight (which he had injuries going into BTW) then Anderson Silva isn't any good either because he did the same thing with Leites and the same thing, only with added taunting, showboating and a temper tantrum against Maia. Oh and let's not forget the Sonnen fight where he was about a minute away from a complete drubbing on the scorecards (which was a fight where Silva also had a similar rib injury).
 
I still think Werdum won that fight, and that Overeem's K-1 GP win was not very impressive (the win over Ben Edwards, however, was), but I like him anyway regardless of how much he's over- or undervalued by others.

He needs to use more head movement...his style of blocking looks like it would be effective but somehow he gets tagged anyway by guys with good boxing technique.
 
Plus didn't Overeem have proof that he fought with a broken toe during that fight? He says he couldn't even kick. Meanwhile - Werdum had zero offense. The falling to the ground was amusing but didn't do much for the fight. The last time I saw flopping that bad was Aoki during the mma* portions of that exhibition against Wicky.

*EDIT: Meant to say 'kickboxing' portions
 
BigKaboom2 said:
I still think Werdum won that fight
Are you giving bonus points for flopping around like a fish after every exchange, monkey rolling around, and summoning Overeem into his guard? It was one of the most disgraceful performances I've ever seen in high level MMA. Has he even been heard from since?
 
I don't score any of those things one way or the other. Same as standing up circling each other endlessly IMO, like Silva and Belfort did.

I always give the disclaimer that my trust in FightMetric wavers from event to event, but they scored the fight for Werdum as well, by a fairly substantial margin.
 
BigKaboom2 said:
I don't score any of those things one way or the other. Same as standing up circling each other endlessly IMO, like Silva and Belfort did.

I always give the disclaimer that my trust in FightMetric wavers from event to event, but they scored the fight for Werdum as well, by a fairly substantial margin.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who agrees. I could see giving Werdum round 3 I guess? Numbers don't tell the story though. Same goes for the Pierson vs. Barboza fight.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
sien916 said:
Are you giving bonus points for flopping around like a fish after every exchange, monkey rolling around, and summoning Overeem into his guard? It was one of the most disgraceful performances I've ever seen in high level MMA. Has he even been heard from since?
He apologize after the fight.

AiTM said:
Brock v Overeem 5 rounds OH SHITTTT
Dat Reem.
 
sien916 said:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who agrees. I could see giving Werdum round 3 I guess? Numbers don't tell the story though. Same goes for the Pierson vs. Barboza fight.
Throwing fancy techniques that don't land or get blocked must fool a lot of ppl. Pierson landed more, and was the aggressor. He should have won that fight imo. I'd reckon the only reason ppl thought barboza won was because florian was dangling from his nuts for the entire fight.
 
yacobod said:
Throwing fancy techniques that don't land or get blocked must fool a lot of ppl. Pierson landed more, and was the aggressor. He should have won that fight imo. I'd reckon the only reason ppl thought barboza won was because florian was dangling from his nuts for the entire fight.
...and the majority of judges. Didn't land? Quality over quantity.

 
Guys. Who is Teagan James? I had this person follow me on Twitter. But I have no idea who it is other than this person has something to do with MMA.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kadey said:
Guys. Who is Teagan James? I had this person follow me on Twitter. But I have no idea who it is other than this person has something to do with MMA.
Twitter is filled with spam bots so dont worry. Also: WAR REEM!
 
sien916 said:
...and the majority of judges. Didn't land? Quality over quantity.
Guys get busted up all the time in fights they win (fedor, etc), so not sure what your picture proves.

Moving on, we got 2 massive personalities squaring off here. I wonder if brock is going to put overeem over for the us audiences, or is he getting ready for another title push.
 
Poor, poor Brock. This is the measuring stick to see just how popular MMA is, considering outside of Silva/GSP this is the biggest draw of a match they can make.
 
yacobod said:
Guys get busted up all the time in fights they win (fedor, etc), so not sure what your picture proves.

Moving on, we got 2 massive personalities squaring off here. I wonder if brock is going to put overeem over for the us audiences, or is he getting ready for another title push.
nah this fight has definitely been set up to put The Reem over. It's pretty transparent. Brock doesn't react well to getting hit, and he's being put up against the best striker in the division.
 
yacobod said:
Guys get busted up all the time in fights they win (fedor, etc), so not sure what your picture proves.

Moving on, we got 2 massive personalities squaring off here. I wonder if brock is going to put overeem over for the us audiences, or is he getting ready for another title push.
Gonna pass the torch then retire.