• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

ibxMSJYam9x6Sx.png

WHAT IS MMA?

Holy shit these guys are scrapping like they have no education or employable skills to fall back on.

Most will recognize MMA (mixed martial arts) as the sport contested under the brand name UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship), although there are many other MMA promotions of varying quality (See "Heel's Top 10 'Bad MMA' Promotions" below).

MMA fighters can be well-educated college graduates performing at the highest level of combat sports. MMA fighters can be bald guys with beer guts and bad tattoos throwing down in a barroom or high school audtorium. MMA fighters can be former Olympic gold medalists. MMA fighters can be active white supremacist sex offenders. MMA is human cockfighting. MMA is a sport. MMA is Sports Entertainment. MMA is violent. MMA is beautiful.

CURRENT UFC CHAMPIONS

Heavyweight (265 lbs. max) - Cain Velasquez
Light Heavyweght (205 lbs.) - Jon Jones
Middleweight (185 lbs.) - Anderson Silva
Welterweight (170 lbs.) - Georges St-Pierre
Lightweight (155 lbs.) - Benson Henderson
Featherweght (145 lbs.) - José Aldo
Bantamweight (135 lbs.) - Dominick Cruz (Interim - Renan Barão)
Flyweight (125 lbs.) - Demetrious Johnson

Women's Bantamweight (135 lbs.) - Ronda Rousey

COMBAT SPORTS SCHEDULE

The schedule will be continually updated with new events, start times and links to official threads.

Friday, January 4th

Invicta FC 4: Esparza vs. Hyatt

Starts at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, $7.95 on InvictaFC.com

Saturday, January 12th

Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine

Prelims start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on SHO Extreme (Note: 3 hour tape-delay on SHO Extreme's west coast channel.)
Main card starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on Showtime (Note: 3 hour tape-delay on Showtime's west coast channel.)

Thursday, January 17th

Bellator 85

Prelims start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com
Main card starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on Spike TV

Saturday, January 19th

UFC on FX 7: Belfort vs. Bisping

Early prelims start at 2:35 PM PT / 5:35 PM ET, free on Facebook.com
Late prelims start at 3:00 PM PT / 6:00 PM ET on FUEL TV
Main card starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET on FX

Thursday, January 24th

Bellator 86

Prelims start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com
Main card starts at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET on Spike TV

Saturday, January 26th

UFC on FOX 6: Johnson vs. Dodson

Prelims start at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET on FX
Main card starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FOX

HEEL'S TOP 10 "BAD MMA" PROMOTIONS

By its simplist definition, "Bad MMA" is a term coined by MMA-GAF to denote any MMA not contested under the UFC banner (although Bad MMA has been known to serpentine its way into UFC undercards when you least suspect it). These promotions are the homes of fighters locked in a desperate struggle, hoping one day to get a crack at the big show. Some will rise to the top and get their chance, others will be Bad MMA lifers and never escape its grasp.

Rankings are based on the quality of fighters, matchmaking, presentation, viewer access, or awesome lack thereof.

01. Strikeforce
02. Bellator
03. ONE FC
04. Invicta FC
05. Super Fight League
06. KSW
07. ProElite
08. Legend Fighting Championship
09. Tachi Palace Fights
10. Resurrection Fighting Alliance

Other contenders: M-1 Global, World Series of Fighting, Amazon Forest Combat

COMMUNITY

MMA-GAF Fantasy Pick'em Pool
Pool - MMA GAF
Password - neogaf

MMA-GAF Nerd Chat
Server - irc.mibbit.net
Channel - #MMA-GAF

Thread archive: MMA-GAF OT, MMA-GAF OT2

izVREl0FbaPED.png

Hey Heel, usually whenever you start up the IRC chat room it ends up being #mmagaf with no dash. This messed me up when I went in the channel with a dash and couldn't find anyone while everyone was in the real channel that was dash deficient.

Heel

Hey Heel, usually whenever you start up the IRC chat room it ends up being #mmagaf with no dash. This messed me up when I went in the channel with a dash and couldn't find anyone while everyone was in the real channel that was dash deficient.

Even now? New link etc. As long as everyone uses the link in the OP we should be fine.

No Top 10 Ten Wall of Shame?

I am the shame.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Heel, personally i liked the previous Greg Jackson avatar you had. The one with the smirk.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heel you made a great OP. There's no way I'll ever watch another MFC after the last one. I'll probably watch Bellator though to watch Chandler and Saunders. There's no way this Fox card can be worse than the last one.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Heel you made a great OP. There's no way I'll ever watch another MFC after the last one. I'll probably watch Bellator though to watch Chandler and Saunders. There's no way this Fox card can be worse than the last one.

Well it shouldn't be since it has the always game and always scrappy Jim Miller on the card.

Heel

great OT Pic is fantastic!

Thanks I tried to keep it clean and functional. Thought about adding a Top Tenners or Four Horsemen + JJ but figured it would be useless nearly instantly.

leonard garcia made the cut to OP? lol

Hahaha I wanted to include anyone who was a repeated point of conversation or in-joke in OT2, regardless of skill. Leonard was required.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Hahaha I wanted to include anyone who was a repeated point of conversation or in-joke in OT2, regardless of skill. Leonard was required.

in that case, where is machida? great job btw

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
For some reason the Blowout cards sponsor is killing me along with the Campbell soup.

Oh the Bob Sapp picture is cracking me up too.

The OT is just chalk full of inside jokes. Me gusta.

greg-jackson-2-sm.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
That fucking killed me too.

Yo let's make predictions on who will be the champs by the end of this thread. You guys down?

Anderson barely fights now with all of his injuries so I don't think this thread will even have two title defenses during its life.

Heavyweight (265 lbs. max) - Hunt or Barnett
Light Heavyweght (205 lbs.) - Mauler
Middleweight (185 lbs.) - Chael
Welterweight (170 lbs.) - Conduit
Lightweight (155 lbs.) - Benson Henderson
Featherweght (145 lbs.) - Hioki after Aldo vacates it
Bantamweight (135 lbs.)- Pickett
Flyweight (125 lbs.) - McCall

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Anderson barely fights now with all of his injuries so I don't think this thread will even have two title defenses during its life.
OT2 lasted only 8 months but I think this one will last longer due to nerd chat taking away replies from Bad MMA and weak UFC cards here.

Quake1028

Yo let's make predictions on who will be the champs by the end of this thread. You guys down?

Around 7-8 months from now?

Heavyweight (265 lbs. max) - Frank Mir
Light Heavyweght (205 lbs.) - Jon Jones
Middleweight (185 lbs.) - Chael Sonnen
Welterweight (170 lbs.) - Carlos Condit
Lightweight (155 lbs.) - José Aldo
Featherweght (145 lbs.) - Frankie Edgar
Bantamweight (135 lbs.)- Dominick Cruz
Flyweight (125 lbs.) - Joe Benavidez

Chamber

love on your sleeve

265 - Fedor Emelianenko
205 - Quinton Jackson
185 - Chris Weidman
170 - Georges St-Pierre
155 - Anthony Pettis
145 - Jose Aldo
135 - Dominator Cruz
125 - Who cares?

I'm more surprised he think Carlos Condit is going to beat GSP. Carlos was afraid of going down to the ground against Diaz...

yacobod

Banned
well the thread might have a shelf life of a year max, so i don't expect we'll see much change in the championships.

265 - JBJ
205 - JBJ
185 - Chael Sonnen
170 - Georges St-Pierre
155 - Frank Edgar (still waiting to complete the trilogy with young Benson who's nursing an injury)
145 - Jose Aldo
135 - Dominator Cruz (prepping for Cruz/Faber 4 because the division sucks and there are no viable or marketable alternative challengers)
125 - Who cares is fucking right.

dream

Man, it almost feels like it was only 8 months ago that my good friend yacobod made |OT2| but it's actually been 20 Ultimates since my good friend made |OT2|.

Top Bottom