• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

tumblr_lopnxhaiwr1qmf1cbsv.jpg
JCu7g.jpg

0fbi5.jpg

Good shit, snatch. Thanks

Heel

Bjorn Rebney on dispute over matching Eddie Alvarez's UFC offer: 'We didn't alter a word'

Rebney vehemently disagrees. In fact, he told MMA Fighting in a Monday interview, Bellator's matching offer was literally a mirror image of the contract the UFC offered Alvarez.

"I will tell you point blank, no questions asked, we matched it dollar for dollar, term for term and section for section," he said. "To avoid any kind of ambiguity, let me make clear, we took the UFC contract, we took it out of the PDF format, we changed the name 'UFC' to 'Bellator' and we signed it. We didn't alter a word, we didn't alter a phrase, we didn't alter a section, we didn't alter a dollar figure."

Then how can it be that such a discrepancy between the two sides would arise? As far as Rebney can tell, Alvarez's issue comes from the projected dollar figures he could earn from the UFC's pay-per-view bonus structure.

"Could" is the operative word there, as according to Rebney, that pay-per-view money in the UFC offer to Alvarez is nothing more than a hypothetical.

"There is no guaranteed pay-per-view in the UFC offer to Eddie Alvarez," he says emphatically. "We as Bellator don't have to match projections. We don't have to match what could conceptually happen. We have to match guaranteed dollars and what the UFC contractually guaranteed would occur. That is what we are held to."

Despite that, Rebney said that Alvarez's pay-per-view stake was matched anyway, under the belief that Bellator could move into the pay-per-view market with the right fight, for example, a rematch of the notable 2011 bout between Alvarez and Michael Chandler.

The main bullet points of the 40-page UFC offer to Alvarez was a $250,000 signing bonus and a $70,000 fight purse with a $70,000 win bonus for his first fight, with salaries escalating over the life of the deal. The contract was to cover a span of 40 months or eight fights, whichever occurred earlier.

I think Eddie has an argument here. There's no way he'll make the same money he does in Bellator with a PPV cut and sponsors. Rebney saying they might move to PPV is a joke. If they win the case because the contract is technically "matched" Eddie got screwed Vinny Mac style.

TheNatural

My Member!
Was checking out the calender on Sherdog and accidentally scrolled to past events. Saw Mir vs. Cro Cop and got scared there for a bit. Close one.

Apparently Lombard vs. Okami is going to be at the next UFC in Japan event. We get outsourced shitty videogames, so we outsource them shitty MMA. Sounds reasonable.

Top Bottom