• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMV announces Yuusha30 for PSP

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1221481_1407.html
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/30/

MMV's countdown turned out to be Yuusha30 on the PSP. The game is developed by doujin game developer UUE, and is somewhat based on their 30-second Hero freeware game. The game download was taken off their site last October, but can still be downloaded here: http://www.freem.ne.jp/game/win/g01378.html

It's also somewhat noteworthy that while this is an expanded commercial version of a doujin game, there is quite an impressive guest list for composers. Koshiro, Sakuraba and Hibino will all be contributing music to the game, among others. There are many guest character designers as well, and the scenario writer of ToS and TotA, Miya Yajima, is also listed as "scenario guest."

The concept of the game is a retro-RPG of sorts where your objective as a hero is to defeat the demon lord. For the freeware game, you basically had 30 seconds to grind, buy equipment, and try to defeat the demon lord. You can also pay 100 gold to reset the timer by 10 seconds. It seems pretty impossible and I can't really beat it. It's pretty dumb.

er0c9d.jpg
wjxvt.jpg

2quj8jp.jpg
5mxp1z.jpg

The PSP game is much more expanded though: There are 4 different game modes featuring different types of encounters, each allowing your character to gain levels and stuff.

16ium1c.jpg

Hero30 seems to be the most similar to the freeware game, where you play a mini-RPG in each stage where you have 30 seconds to fight monsters, level up, get equipment, and defeat the demon lord.

2uh25x1.jpg

Princess30 is a top down shooting game. In each stage, the objective is to go forth and find a healing herb and return to the castle to cure the sick king. The princess is equipped with a bowgun which allows her to shoot enemies on the field to clear the way.

2mzljso.jpg

Knight30 is a top down action game. The knight is supposed to protect the mage, while defeating all the monsters on the field in 30 seconds. If the mage is killed, the game is over. You can use both attacks and traps to protect the mage while killing the monsters.

14mbc5f.jpg

DemonLord30 is RTS style game mode where you play as a demon lord. Your objective is to beat all the adventures on the map in 30 seconds, by summoning monsters on the field, etc.

I think it's pretty obvious that MMV is publishing the game to cash-in on the success that SCE and Acquire had with the Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida series on the PSP. I find this much less interesting though, and it actually looks like shit to me. After playing the freeware version, if the game is really anything like it, I can safely say I'm not fucking interested. :lol

PolyGone

Banned
Looks cute. I'm surprised Sony allows these types of "low-bit" games on the PSP, they must have loosened the rules. But 30 seconds seems too short to me. At least give the option for 1m, 2m, etc

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PolyGone said:
Looks cute. I'm surprised Sony allows these types of "low-bit" games on the PSP, they must have loosened the rules.

SCEJ didn't have "the rules" to begin with. It's just America. :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks so good, I love the style. It would've been nice if it wasn't based on this 30sec time limit. I'm still interested though, I'll wait for impressions.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I love this recent trend of faux retro games.

Sort of OT, but was that "Big Mouthed Heroes" game easy to play without Japanese knowledge?

Doctor_No

duckroll said:
I think it's pretty obvious that MMV is publishing the game to cash-in on the success that SCE and Acquire had with the Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida series on the PSP.

Totally get a Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida-vibe from this game. However, how popular was that game? It was an excellent game, I just never thought it sold really well.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Doctor_No said:
Totally get a Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida-vibe from this game. However, how popular was that game? It was an excellent game, I just never thought it sold really well.
The first game trotted to 130k and the second started off better as a result.

duckroll

Doctor_No said:

The first game did 133k. The sequel did 146k so far. Really impressive considering how the games pretty much relied on word of mouth alone to sell, with minimal marketing anywhere.

Doctor_No

jj984jj said:
The first game trotted to 130k and the started off better as a result.
duckroll said:
The first game did 133k. The sequel did 146k so far. Really impressive considering how the games pretty much relied on word of mouth alone to sell, with minimal marketing anywhere.

Thanks for the #s. I'd agree, those are pretty decent numbers for a game like that. Glad to see creativity rewarded. MMV's strategy probably worked for me, since I'll likely end up purchasing Yuusha30 even as a curiosity because of Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida.

hitoshi

duckroll said:
I think it's pretty obvious that MMV is publishing the game to cash-in on the success that SCE and Acquire had with the Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida series on the PSP. I find this much less interesting though, and it actually looks like shit to me. After playing the freeware version, if the game is really anything like it, I can safely say I'm not fucking interested. :lol

I don't seem to understand the reason of the hate, I'm REALLY tempted, thanks for the info. I'm trying the freeware version now, I think I'll love it :)

duckroll

The demo's up on JP PSN now. They'll be releasing a different demo each month leading up to the release in May, each demo will cover one of the four game modes. The Yuusha30 demo has 2 stages, and it's pretty much exactly what I expected. The only saving grace is that when you're in a castle or town now, the timer doesn't run. It definitely makes the game a whole lot more playable than the freeware concept, but overall it's definitely more of a puzzle game than a RPG or action game.

I downloaded the demo and put up footage of both stages for anyone who hasn't checked it out yet. http://www.gametrailers.com/game/10751.html
(Yes, I know the aspect ratio is wrong, but it will be fixed when people are back to work Tues.)

I never played the older version, but I'm not sure what all the negativity is about. I love what I've played so far.

jesusraz

Hmm, I'll reserve my final judgement for now, but watching the RPG video of this looked interesting for about 30 seconds and then seemed to get VERY repetitive...

depward

I played the demo of this yesterday and I have to say, it's extremely quirky but I found it to be kinda fun. Looking forward to the other demos..

Hesemonni

Banned
This might be a good place to ask. I remember a Japanese PSP game which had similar simple 2D graphics and I think you were a kind of Dungeon Master trying to prevent a group of adventurers getting your treasure (or something). Does somebody know which game I'm talking about? I'm sure I bookmarked it to keep eye on, but can't find it now :'( I'm pretty sure it was duckroll who made a thread about that game too!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Neo-Sheperd said:
The actual game trailer looks pretty good but those pictures in the OP made my eyes bleed.

you have no soul man :( , retro style is great , I love Namaikida Or 2 too

954490_20081009_screen003.jpg

Zoe

Totobeni said:
you have no soul man :( , retro style is great , I love Namaikida Or 2 too

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2008/282/954490_20081009_screen003.jpg[/IMG]

There's a difference between Namaiki and this game--Namaiki kept the sprites at the proper resolution while this game has everything blown up.

schild

Zoe said:
There's a difference between Namaiki and this game--Namaiki kept the sprites at the proper resolution while this game has everything blown up.

Which is half of what makes this game fucking awesome. Style is style.

Am I the only who finds it fucking odd that this isn't at least on the DS also?

The graphics look like they're less than what's done on the DS.

What was MMV's reason for making this a PSP exclusive again?

Maybe there's more to the game's visuals that meets the eye so maybe it's not as easily able to be ported to the DS as we might think?

MMV is in no way a company that misses the boat on anything, as their massive Wii support as proven.

batbeg

Totobeni said:
thank to useless bump from octopusman I can answer this pure stupidity

Moneyhat , why not on Ds ?

it's fucking SCEJ's games , Sony own the fucking IP for fuck sake

MMV is just the publisher in NA , the game belong to SCE Japan Studio

While I do not deny Hero's stupidity (a bit unnecessary to point out, in all honesty), are you sure about that? I mean... isn't this thread about the Japanese version, or did I miss a very important step?

Edit: Ah ha ha I caught you :p

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
batbeg said:
While I do not deny Hero's stupidity (a bit unnecessary to point out, in all honesty), are you sure about that? I mean... isn't this thread about the Japanese version, or did I miss a very important step?

I was on Or2 thread ..opened this ..mixed the two thread by mistake..thought this Or2 thread for some reason thanks to the bump ..

damn bumps

Edit: Ah ha ha I caught you :p

:(

Top Bottom