• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMV undergoes massive restructuring

Tiktaalik

I liked Little King Story, bought it day one, but honestly this generation things are different and games have to have a higher polish level than that if they're going to be on a console and get noticed.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Vamphuntr said:
Do they change that much with each iterations anymore? The last Harvest Moon I bought was the one for the N64 mainly because it was 3d.
To be honest, the last Harvest Moon I played was the first DS game, and the ones after that didn't seem to offer anything new. I heard that the new one (DS 4) has an Animal Crossing-like online mode, though, and that could be awesome.

You could try A Wonderful Life, Magical Melody, and Friends of Mineral Town, though. They're all great (and different) games in the series released after 64.

So... Nobody actually saved CING?

As for this... nothing new, sadly.

If 3DS is as powerful as rumours are suggesting I'd say they have a window of oportunity if they jump onto it right away. Porting their Wii games for it should be feasible and let's just say a platform when new sells software much easily than a few years down the road.

Specially considering they specialize in RPG's and those usually take quite a while coming... and we're talking about RPG's most gamers haven't played anyway.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Maybe they should aim above 'niche'.. they might actually make some money for a change (as much as I enjoyed Half Minute Hero).

That's a good idea. They could start publishing mainstream bullshit.
How do they separate themselves from the other mainstream bullshit?
By being 'niche' mainstream bullshit.

These hard-up smaller companies are going to need to start banding together. I can't bear to see all these companies going under.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
That's a good idea. They could start publishing mainstream bullshit.
How do they separate themselves from the other mainstream bullshit?
By being 'niche' mainstream bullshit.

They could do what Ubisoft do and use their 'mainstream bullshit' profits to fund the projects they actually want to make.

Bring out Marvelous Babies or some shit, I don't care, as long as they can make HMH2 a reality.

Lyude77

Vamphuntr said:
Do they change that much with each iterations anymore? The last Harvest Moon I bought was the one for the N64 mainly because it was 3d.
They've changed a lot since the N64 days, or at least they added a subseries called Rune Factory that is different. It has similar basic farming gameplay but combat, fishing, and cooking, etc. I'd recommend Rune Factory: Frontier if you have a Wii, I really liked it. Magical Melody was pretty good too if you only have a GCN. If you go by iteration to iteration, little is changed, though.

This is sad, but I mainly was interested in the Cing games they published and Rune Factory, and Cing is gone and Rune Factory will probably continue to be made. It's still sad though because I like Marvelous. I still need to get Little King's Story...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ridley327 said:
I think that's threadworthy; Nier made a lot of new fans of Cavia and there was that thread about Lost Odyssey being better than FFXIII, and that's related to Feelplus!

Artoon's related to Blue Dragon as well?

That really sucks. Marvelous has been my favorite 3rd party on Wii this gen. They definitely took it seriously unlike the rest of the industry :(

matmanx1

I really like Rune Factory: Frontier and hope we see another Rune Factory game on the Wii. I couldn't really get into the DS iterations with the control differences and the tiny screen though. I don't know what the numbers were for Frontier but it seems like the series still has some legs and deserves some further attention.

Cow Mengde said:
I heard the Rune Factory and Harvest Moon games still sell really well. Is that true?

I think they do well, particularly in Europe, though I'm not certain.

One game that's done surprisingly well (well, for the platform and there has been zero numbers) is Reel Fishing Challenge.

That game was among, if not THE top selling WiiWare game for a good while after it launched, and I don't recall it ever leaving the Top 20 lists.

Reel Fishing Challenge 2 was rated months ago at ESRB as well.

It's no doubt the impulse price and the casual-friendly nature of the game that's been helping it, it's only 500 Points.

I hope MMV has made a good amount of cash from it. :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, that sucks. I'm loving Little's King Story. One of the first games I picked up when I brought my Wii.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
When do you think I'll be posting the "Sting goes out of business" thread? End of 2010? Mid 2011?

LIES! BLASPHEMY!
'Sides, Sting is basically an Atlus satellite studio these days.
And their games seem to be selling well enough (in some territories, I suppose) to consistently be localized.

Mandoric

Banned
Is this where we post about the Sega employee tweeting about kids begging him for R4s because all their friends have them?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Stumpokapow said:
I'm going to hijack this thread to post some news that no one cares about

AQ Interactive ceased to be a video game publisher this week. Cavia and Feelplus are still going to develop games, but they are no longer going to publish games at all. I was too embarrassed to start a thread about it.

Now I'll never get a sequel to Bullet Witch oh no.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if there's still hope for NMH PS360 being localized. :(

faridmon

ffs Japan, first you just ruined the Anime industry with your bloody Moe and lollicon focused shows, now you can't even manage your companies well enough to be in the business.

As a European, I love Rising Star. Even though the have licensed bunch of crappy games, their games they license here are the niche games that I really liked and MMV is shutting them down (even MMV shutting its down somehow) is just a terrible news to me.

Bloody Silicon Knights and Gearbox are well alive and kicking after years of people doubting their existence in the upcoming years, and japan got two of their studios closed because of bad management and crappy software distribution (also, the fact most their titles sucks). Japan should learn more from the West but i doubt they will, I wonder if the great crash of video game industry in Japan is nigh.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess this article is also related to the Japanese gaming industry (full article here): http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/06/jrpgs-going-back-to-the-basics/

This past week, Siliconera had a chance to speak with famed RPG writer-cum-artist, Soraya Saga, about her work practices and her opinion on the state of the genre. Saga-san is a rare breed of RPG writer, unafraid to tackle stories of an immense scale, and is responsible for writing two of the most revered role-playing games to be developed in her country of origin: Xenosaga and Final Fantasy VI.

When asked what she thought about the current state of RPGs, she replied, “With the technological advances, RPGs have remarkably become beautiful and dramatic, but we learnt from our own experience that games shouldn’t be something just to watch. It’s not that games don’t need good stories, it’s that we developers should think first of what gamers are looking forward [to]. Now we’re trying to get back to basics, to provide sheer enjoyment of games again.”

Bel Marduk said:
What? :lol

27xl7hg.gif

Jonnyram

Stumpokapow said:
AQ Interactive ceased to be a video game publisher this week. Cavia and Feelplus are still going to develop games, but they are no longer going to publish games at all. I was too embarrassed to start a thread about it.
I'm not even sure what they've published recently. Nier being published by Square Enix was pretty telling.

MMV, not surprising. They were simply too bold. "Hey let's make loads of new IP with ridiculous budgets." They should have started off with way smaller projects.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is a real shame, they have put out some intriguing titles the last few years. The state of the Japanese game industry is really looking ropey.

Celine

Brazil said:
Rising Star Games is in fact their European subsidiary. You mentioned that the article said they would sell it, though, didn't you?
It isn't anymore.
They should have already sold their stakes to Bergsala ( the sweden company that co founded RSG with MMV ) and another ( japanese ? ) company.

EDIT:
Beaten.

faridmon said:
As a European, I love Rising Star. Even though the have licensed bunch of crappy games, their games they license here are the niche games that I really liked and MMV is shutting them down (even MMV shutting its down somehow) is just a terrible news to me.
No, they are alive for now, just not owned by MMV anymore.

Celine

Stumpokapow said:
I'm going to hijack this thread to post some news that no one cares about

Nakayama does what Yamauchidon't.

thefro

Tiktaalik said:
I liked Little King Story, bought it day one, but honestly this generation things are different and games have to have a higher polish level than that if they're going to be on a console and get noticed.

That genre is pretty niche in general on consoles. Pikmin didn't exactly set the world on fire and that had Nintendo pushing it and the hype as Miyamoto's new IP.

Add that to the art style and generic title and nobody over 10 was going to walk into a store and buy the game on a whim.

So what does this mean for their new IPs being developed? cancelled? or some other company takes over. Was very curious about that new IP of theirs with the angel guy with (unfitting jeans).

trinest

storafötter said:
So what does this mean for their new IPs being developed? cancelled? or some other company takes over. Was very curious about that new IP of theirs with the angel guy with (unfitting jeans).
I didn't know they had many new IPs under construction. Though they where planning a Little King Story 2, at least throwing the idea around.

Dascu

Damn. I did my part, I bought most of their Wii games. Hope this doesn't have any negative impact on developers that worked with MMV, especially Grasshopper Manufacture.

wrowa

Hero of Legend said:
I think they do well, particularly in Europe, though I'm not certain.
The first DS Harvest Moon sold really great in Europe, the second one seemed to be a huge bomb in comparison, so I don't know whether Harvest Moon really is still doing great in Europe or that people only remember that the first DS HM sold great over here.

The reason for the success was simple, though: Havest Moon DS was published by RSG, but the distribution and marketing was handled by Nintendo. The second one was published by RSG alone and they were unable to gather the attention of the casuals. I remember seeing a crazy amount of unsold copies at many stores...

When it comes to Rune Factory RSG completely dropped the ball, though. Europe got Frontier a year after the US and RF2 still isn't released here. Rising Star successfully killed any potential of the series in Europe with simply don't bothering with them.

Though, to be fair, it has to be mentioned that compared to the US and Japan sales, the European sales of MMV/RSG games are actually quite decent. Many of their games sold best here.

Top Bottom