• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile dev Gumi hacked; Final Fantasy Brave Exvius down since Thursday afternoon

ZeoVGM

Banned
jci1fPi.jpg

Yesterday afternoon, the above is apparently what happened to Gumi's website. Shortly after that, all players seemed to receive a random gift of 5000 lapis (which I believe comes out to about $40 - $50).

Some people knew about the hack, some didn't. Some thought it was just a gift and spent it on a character pull or maybe they were going to hold onto it. But shortly after the lapis went out to everyone, the game went down for maintenance.

It has now been down since late yesterday afternoon. Gumi originally put out a Facebook post about 15 hours ago saying there was simply an "issue with the game." About 10 minutes ago, they released their first statement since:

Attention FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS fans:

On September 21 (Thursday), around 3 p.m. (PDT), we experienced a system disruption.

We have determined upon investigation that this disruption was caused by someone who gained unauthorized access into our system for the FFBE game, and made a threat to our hosting company.

We are currently conducting maintenance to ensure the integrity of the game system including all game data and players' personal information.

We would like to assure all players that this matter is of utmost importance to us. We sincerely ask that you bear with us in the meantime while our teams are hard at work, trying to resolve this matter, and resume the game services as soon as practicable.

We will be providing updates on the situation via our official channels in a timely manner.

Thank you very much for your patience and continued support through this trying time.

The questions now: how long will this last? What will compensation for players be, considering this likely put accounts and personal information in danger?

And perhaps most curious, for me at least, how did this happen? These hackers got into their website but did that somehow also allow them to inject in-game currency into the accounts of players? I would have thought those would be two completely separate entities.

This is also very bad timing as Square Enix just announced within the past 24 hours that the game is their main mobile revenue generator and that it helped push the developer's revenues to $518 million in its Q1 FY18.

And that's without getting into the playerbase, which seems to be a bit frustrated lately with the terrible RNG from events, such as the limited time Nier banner.

It should also be noted that Gumi's other game, Brave Frontier, has also been down this entire time as well.

Zafir

Wondered why it was down when I tried to log in last night. I didn't manage to get the 5000lapis I guess though...

It's a bit worrying that they managed to get into both their site and their game though.

zeelman

I gave up on Brave Exvius after it turned into such a buggy mess with subsequent updates. I'm not surprised their site's security is so poor.

Piers

Yikes, that's a big stinker. I wonder if the 5000 lapis gift was a knee-jerk to the hacker claiming how crappy their security is.

I gave up on Brave Exvius after it turned into such a buggy mess with subsequent updates. I'm not surprised their site's security is so poor.

Whao, really?
On my end, I drifted away because it felt like there such a large amount of pressure to try and get the latest, and ultimately 'best', units. The power creeping seemed particularly large with that game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Need 10k Lapis and guaranteed 5* ticket as a compensation.

Zafir

On my end, I drifted away because it felt like there such a large amount of pressure to try and get the latest, and ultimately 'best', units. The power creeping seemed particularly large with that game.

Yeah admittedly I don't really play it much these days. I played it a load last year, but I eventually just got sick of how important TM grinding/macroing or having a base 5*(offsets the need for TMs a bit) became. Didn't help that I had absolutely shit luck over that period. I started playing during the early start in June or July was it of 2016, and I didn't get a base 5* till like February or March this year. Really trashy rates if you don't pay.

SephLuis

Yeah admittedly I don't really play it much these days. I played it a load last year, but I eventually just got sick of how important TM grinding/macroing or having a base 5*(offsets the need for TMs a bit) became. Didn't help that I had absolutely shit luck over that period. I started playing during the early start in June or July was it of 2016, and I didn't get a base 5* till like February or March this year. Really trashy rates if you don't pay.

I wonder if the hackers will release the actual pull rates for each banner. I doubt it was the advertised 1%.

This still could turn into a bigger problem. It now depends on how Gumi will address things from now on.

Wazzy

Banned
I'll take 5k Lapis and 10 rare tickets thank you very much.

I will accept a rare ticket and 500 lapis :(

kswiston

Is it mainly organized crime doing this at this point?

Trying to extort a company out of over $250k in bitcoin seems like someyhing that will lead to a lengthy jail term if caught.

Wow. This is such a weird coincidence. I just got a new phone last Thursday and decided to download FFBE since I lost all my data in Record Keeper from my last phone. Hopefully there is no data breach.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The game came back up and they're letting people keep the 5,000 lapis, along with giving a great compensation package of:

- 900 more lapis
- 20 NRG restores (10 NRG each)
- 3 summon tickets
- 20 advance tokens
- 3 ancient coins

They're also extending the current events and this weekend's events by one day.

Good response, Gumi.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Facebook update:

FINAL FANTASY BRAVE EXVIUS will be taking a break to address connection issues in the game. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for bearing with us.

Kouriozan

Got a new maintenance too, more compensation incoming!
It's way more stable nowadays but sill the same awful gacha rates.

Top Bottom