• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Game of the Year 2014 - Voting

fek

1. Love Live! School Idol Festival ; Best mobile rhythm game, best girls, best music, my overall GOTY 2014. By far the game that I played the most this year and will probably be my most played game in 2015 as well.
2. Monster Strike ; I like the mechanics and the multiplayer is fun.
3. Soccer Spirits ; Pretty cute cards and the matches are kinda unique.

awp69

Based on some of the lists, think I need to play KeroBlaster. Wish it wasn't iPhone only. Anyone been playing it on an iPad in 2x mode?

EDIT: actually, Pink Hour was kind of a little preview of KeroBlaster, wasn't it? Suppose I can download it to get a taste of how it plays on iPad.

awp69

Metacritc is utterly worthless, even more when applied to mobile gaming.

Well, to be fair, it does have a lot of great games in that top 25 list, many of which overlap with my own. No, especially if they only use a few reviews, it isn't always great but thought it may help juggle the memory of some of the games that came out this year.

RM8

Based on some of the lists, think I need to play KeroBlaster. Wish it wasn't iPhone only. Anyone been playing it on an iPad in 2x mode?
If it's a deal breaker for you, there's a PC version as well. It's pretty sad that it's been so neglected :/ You would think people would be hyped by a "run and gun" platformer from the creator of Cave Story.

Also yeah, I guess you're right about Pink Hour. Have in mind the real thing is much, much better, though! :p

how does it work if a game was released on one platform last year, but another this year?
I'm going by mobile release. So stuff like FTL and Papers Please would be eligible since they released on iPad this year

If it's a deal breaker for you, there's a PC version as well. It's pretty sad that it's been so neglected :/ You would think people would be hyped by a "run and gun" platformer from the creator of Cave Story.
I wonder how many current IOS users even know of Cave Story. Considering that some don't play PC games

heringer

I'm going by mobile release. So stuff like FTL and Papers Please would be eligible since they released on iPad this year

I wonder how many current IOS users even know of Cave Story. Considering that some don't play PC games
What if it was released on iOS last year and Android this year, which is the case of The Shadowsun?

I'm so glad this thread popped up, because it made me re-check the availability of most of these games on Android, and lo - recent releases of 80 Days, Hitman GO, and Crossy Road. I know what I'm doing today.

What if it was released on iOS last year and Android this year, which is the case of The Shadowsun?
Huh...I hadn't considered that. I guess it would only be fair to Android users to allow releases like that, since this is for mobile in general.

Anyone have thoughts of this?

if a game was released on any mobile platform last year, make it ineligible otherwise you'll have some games from last year getting a small amount of votes because they're split across years.

if a game was released on any mobile platform last year, make it ineligible otherwise you'll have some games from last year getting a small amount of votes because they're split across years.

When the mobile market is split so thoroughly, there's such a common habit of games getting a staggered release, and unlike consoles even enthusiasts usually don't own both platforms, I don't think it makes sense to lock out people from stuff that they bought on release.

Vylash

1. Tales of Asteria ; probably my inner tales fan that allows me to enjoy this as much as i do, but the gameplay is seriously addictive
2. Chain Chronicle ; super fun, Sega's mobile output is pretty great
3. Celestial Craft Fleet ; klab games are usually pretty shit, but dat art is so good
4. Terra Battle ; not as in love with it as i was, but it's still pretty good
5. Atelier Quest Board ; i still barely understand how to play, but i can't not vote for atelier

I added links to the monthly round-ups for IOS and Android releases from Metacritic and Pocket Gamer. Should help with remembering or seeing a general list of 2014 releases

JoeFu

Banned
1. Love Live! School Idol Festival; a really fun rhythm game if you don't mind the music in the game. Didn't know anything about Love Live but ended up watching the anime because of the game and I actually enjoy the music too! Played this game waaaay too much and dragged me into a rabbit hole I didn't want to be in :(

2. Nanaca Crash; this was released on phones this year right? Blast from past. Good time waster

3. Terra Battle; thought it was alright, but got a bit bored after clearing a few chapters

4. Rhythm of Fighters; an okay Theatrhythm type game. Feels a bit off for some reason, but still fun

5. Monument Valley; haven't beat the game yet but enjoyed the artstyle from what I played. Puzzles were...okay?

Played stuff like Monster Strike(I made the line group for it! ) and Chain Chronicles, but those just don't mesh with me. Monster strike drained battery like crazy and chain chronicles runs like crap on my phone.

m0t0k1

Seriously?

Oh.

JP version is a 2013 game but still think 2014 ENG version of LL is good. I hope you don't imply with this post that i encouraged people to vote on mobile not on LL as a game. But i can agree that voting 2 times on the same thing is kinda strange :p Well here is my top10.

1. Love Live! School Idol Festival ; Great rhythm game. It keeps delivering new content.
2. Chain Cronicle ; Really fun. Kinda like PvZ but with RPG mechanics and story.
3. Rhythm of Fighters ;This one has interesting battle mechanics as you hit notes you can attack your opponent.
4. Nanaca Crash ; This was addicting as flash game even greater playing in the bus.
5. Magazine Mogul ; One of the fun most Kairosoft games.
6. Swords & Poker Adventures ; Poker and rpg is an interesting combo. would love to see an android version someday.
7. Kingdom Rush Origins ; My favourite tower defence game
8. Doki Doki! Cosplay Cupid ; Saving the world by rubbing girls and putting them in cosplay. really crazy concept and typical Japanese.
9. Terra Battle ; I like this game has a lot of strategy but not as much as the other games i played this year.
10. Super Monkey Ball Bounce ; Love peggle and love monkey ball so this is a great combo.

Flunkie

Banned
Edited in my choices. ......Reserving my spot. My potential suitors:

1. 80 Days ;
9. Skullduggery ;
5. 99 Bricks Wizard Academy ;
4. Monument Valley ;
8. World of Tanks Blitz ;
2. Sky Force 2014 ;
10. Out There ;
6. Wayward Souls ;
Jet Car Stunts 2
Traps n Gemstones
Doug dug
7. Retry ;
Random Heroes (I wish I could put 3 on here but have only played 2 since 3 came out as it went free after 3 was released but I'll have to check the date.
Plants vs Zombies 2
999 TVN
Trials Frontier
3. Bonza Word Puzzle ;

I want to put stuff like XCOM and Valiant Hearts and Banner Saga but I would rather stay away from ports (as great as they are) and highlight original releases.

m0t0k1

The post I linked is pretty obviously telling people to come here and vote for this game. And there was a sudden influx afterwards of people voting for Love Live in first with a couple of other random fillers for second or third. Which, ok. If people only started playing with the English-localized version that released this year, and if Love Live really is their favorite game and they can't think of much else because they didn't play many other games, and if they've made some effort to make comments and so on as the thread rules state... well, so be it. And some people have made an effort to fill out their lists and comment more extensively and follow the spirit of the thread, which is fine.

But I'm disappointed as a poster to see what I hoped would be a useful resource in finding out about cool games get brigaded like this.

Thanks for explaining. Yeah i can understand that. The English version has been released since May this year and that is when 90% of our gaf members started to play. There have been lot of fun games released on mobile. I only mentioned there was a GOTY mobile thread. I can see your frustration. But i did not intend to encourage people to "only" vote for LL. My intention was for other people to share their mobile games and add to this thread. I was hoping to find more nice gems and most did so i am happy for that. Don't want to derail this any further please share more good mobile games.

1. Threes! ; played this on mu iPhone for hours
2. Kingdom Rush Origins ; Favorite game I've played on iPad

Those are the only two mobile games that have really grabbed me this year.

fek

But I'm disappointed as a poster to see what I hoped would be a useful resource in finding out about cool games get brigaded like this.
People are voting for other games anyway, how does it stop being a useful resource?
And as you said if everyone who voted for it honestly think its ranked as high as they put in their lists, why wouldn't LL votes be a useful resource for a cool game too?

Tentative, of course.

1. Card City Nights ; This is a fantastic card game for those who liked Ittle Dew or the dev's other games. Plenty of cameos, a jazzy soundtrack, and plenty of gameplay for the price.
2. VVVVVV ; A modern classic platformer that works surprisingly well with touch controls. Fantastic soundtrack.
3. Terra Battle ; Sakaguchi returns with a fun semi-strategy RPG. Maneuver your units to pincer in enemy units, with bonus attacks from "connected" units. Plenty of gameplay with a full campaign and side-battles. Plus, the F2P aspects are generous enough that they won't bother you that much.
4. Hitman GO ; An interesting twist on the Hitman idea, by putting 47 in a puzzle-based board game. There's plenty of content for the price, and it has a nice graphical style.
5. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; An adventure-lite game that explores the rarely-visited-in-games time of World War I. It makes full use out of its bleak setting, even providing historical facts and collectables based on real objects used in the war. The characters you play as are interesting to follow, as besides fighting in the war, they all have personal goals that transcend the war and are well-fleshed-out. It all leads to one of the more memorable ending sequences out there. It does suffer from a few flaws though, such as overly-simple (some a bit tedious) puzzles and some bugs where the music cuts out or an event doesn't trigger. Still, if you have even a passing interest in World War I, it'd be tough to find a game that handles the subject better.
6. WWE SuperCard ; Gameplay-wise, it's pretty simple. Fight AI opponents that are playing other players' decks, using items and combination bonuses to raise your stats. If you win, you get two cards, lose, you get one card. This creates a pretty addictive pattern of fights and rewards, as you feed useless cards to your main cards to increase their stats.
7. King of Fighters '98 ; A fine port of a classic fighting game, with pretty good gamepad support.
8. Threes! ; An addictive puzzler, as you try to turn small numbers into big numbers, while keeping your board from filling up.
9. Crossy Road ; Endless Frogger with voxel graphics and plenty of unlockable characters. A bit tough to control, but quite fun.
10. Steve Jackson's Sorcery! ; Quite a fun Choose-Your-Own-Adventure RPG, where your choices determine your fate in each encounter, and your cleared save data can be transferred to the sequel.

x. Monument Valley ; A short game, but memorable, with a distinctive artstyle and music, and gameplay reminiscent of Echochrome.
x. The Room Two ; I enjoyed this puzzle game sequel, as it built upon the first game's story and gameplay by taking you to different "worlds" where you can solve thematically unique puzzles in each room, learning more about the research on the element hinted at in the first game. That makes it a little more Myst-like than its predecessor.

awp69

I want to put stuff like XCOM and Valiant Hearts and Banner Saga but I would rather stay away from ports (as great as they are) and highlight original releases.

Good point. Over on another site that I won't name, I ran a poll for just indies and originals last year -- no ports or even big name publishers (EA, Rovio, Gameloft, Square-Enix, etc.). I felt it was unfair for smaller indies to go up against the big boys and ports. But it's also a fine line, even some of the Indie Games were on PC first.

Banner Saga is probably too big of an example. But I still think Stoic is small enough to consider and also think there are many, many people who never played it until mobile. And even some that never heard of it.

I think I'll remove XCom from my own personal list, but will leave Banner Saga and Valiant Hearts as I still think they're "indie" enough And, especially in the case of Banner Saga, you could tell the love that was put into the mobile version.

JoeFu

Banned
Is raising awareness about this thread and letting them know they can vote discouraged? And why do you assume if LL is first the games after are filler? I don't get it. I played quite a few games just to try them out and nothing hooked me like LL did. It's a legit fun rhythm game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
End of voting should be postponed at least till the 21st, plenty high profile games are going to be on sale in the next couple of weeks and we should give the chance to play them for a bit to those who were on the fence/waiting for a sale on a number of potential candidates.

End of voting should be postponed at least till the 21st, plenty high profile games are going to be on sale in the next couple of weeks and we should give the chance to play them for a bit to those who were on the fence/waiting for a sale on a number of potential candidates.
Thanks for the advice. First time doing this

PigzFly

1. Desert Golfing ; This is the only mobile game I've played all year, and it's the only mobile game I will ever need. It's a great way to fill time, whether it be for one minute or 30. Endless, simple and fun.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
literally everything about that game is embarrassing, including some apparent voting shenanigans

smh

at least this'll get me to try out 80 days. Terra Battle was neat, but i'd rather play XCOM now that EW is out on mobile

i wish Peggle 2 came out for real on mobile -_-

Hugstable

Banned
EDIT: Sorry if my vote is controversial or something, I'll just delete it. I just really enjoyed it, but I don't want to be seen as shitting up someones thread or something. I'm really sorry.

Sakujou

Banned
i think i wasted tons of time with

retry and threes while taking a shit.

but my goty on mobile devices:

1.monument valley= just the best jawdropping awesome visuals i have ever fucking seen. this is simply the gloriest shit ever. and the DLC even goes further. first time buying dlc and fucking done right.
2.framed= story telling without the need of words. wow.
3.goblin sword= didnt play it that much, but its made really good. love the graphics and atmosphere.
4.retry/threes= i hate rovio for their stupid angry birds, but retry has done something completely new.... i cursed this game so much, yet it was so rewarding. i think i spent as much time on this as with threes,... but i liked the graphics more in this game. unfortunately the retry-points/ads were the biggest downer in this game :(

i spent soooooo much time at the beginning of this year with jubeat+/reflec beat+ and the japanese versions, but these are games from 2010 (propably most played games in this year)

also super star SM should be in this list too, but it only has been released in korea and taiwan(at least i cant download them from german speaking app-stores, but its such a good music-rythm game....)

The JP version is a year ahead of the EN version, and had a lot more options and game modes. BUT since it's a year ahead, it's a 2013 game, and shouldn't be allowed to be nominated.
Ah, I didn't realize that. So the game was released in Japan last year and the 2014 version was just a worldwide release?

If so, that would disqualify it. That's a different situation compared to a game like Icebreaker, which released on IOS in 2013 but the Android release was in 2014.

I should probably clarify the guidelines in the OP. I hadn't considered that.

old

1. Hearthstone - an esport card game with Blizzard's polish and support
2. Plunder Pirates - clash of clans but with pirates.
3. Terra Battle - mistwalkers f2p offering

More to come.

I agree. I've already got a backlog of stuff, i'm sure they'll be some good sales over the next couple of weeks.

I'd actually like to see the counted list expanded, maybe to 15 or 20. I've already got 12 games i really liked this year and i'm sure there's a ton more stuff over the next couple of weeks i'll pick up.

Also, will Honorable Mentions be counted and used in time break situations?

6. Sword and Poker Adventure ; Poker and rpg is an interesting combo. would love to see an android version someday.
They are apparently working on it, according to comments on their Facebook page.

It's also probably why friend trading is done through Facebook and not Game Center.

fek

Ah, I didn't realize that. So the game was released in Japan last year and the 2014 version was just a worldwide release?

If so, that would disqualify it. That's a different situation compared to a game like Icebreaker, which released on IOS in 2013 but the Android release was in 2014.

I should probably clarify the guidelines in the OP. I hadn't considered that.
No, it wasn't just a worldwide release, it was a localization. Just like a game like Fantasy Life was released in Japan in a region locked platform two years ago but was localized this year.

m0t0k1

They are apparently working on it, according to comments on their Facebook page.

It's also probably why friend trading is done through Facebook and not Game Center.

Wow that is some great news to hear. I only got an Ipod as IOS device which i don't always have on me. If i can play this on the train commuting that would be great. Thanks for the heads up.

Occams, seeing that you seem to like cool little minimal puzzle games like Shades and Weave, I recommend checking out Zengrams, Dwelp, and Membrane

And it's not exactly simple, but Perfects Paths is essentially Space Chem if it was made from the ground-up for mobile and distilled to its core elements. Also recommended

Thank you, sir!

I'll give those a shot when I feel up to grabbing another puzzle. Right now I'm loving the heck out of Secret of Mana iOS which I bought on sale ages ago but just started playing recently. I know I can't vote for it but I'm absolutely loving it. White Cat Project is also pretty cool but I know it doesn't qualify either.

Gururin Quest could be a contender if it comes out within the next 2 weeks.
http://app.gloops.com/game/gururinquest

Top Bottom