• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Game of the Year 2014 - Voting

m0t0k1

Closed beta for Android just announced.

https://m.facebook.com/SwordsandPoker

Wow signing up can't wait to try it once again thanks.

Also just installed Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies on my iPod and like to give a Honourable mention to it. The previous ports of the other game weren't that good but this one is perfect. Great graphics and have not noticed any bugs or strange translations. so far. So check it out if you have an IOS device and have not played it on the 3ds.

Aaron D.

sov2lYM.jpg

1. Crossy Road ; It's been a while since I've been this addicted to an iOS game. I think it was 10000000. Anyway, Crossy Road is the perfect blend of quick, addictive gameplay & inviting presentation. It's a Frogger/endless runner mash-up, with a cute sense of humor (mainly in the variety of dozens and dozens of characters you unlock). What's weird is the game is free and the pay model is in buying new characters, but the game gives you 100 free coins every 6 hours (real time, not gameplay). Characters are unlocked for 100 coins. So I've been playing like crazy and unlocking all these characters completely free of charge. It's really strange. All that stuff aside, Crossy Road somehow manages to steal every free idle-waiting moment I've got. And I love it.

2. Hitman GO ; So beautifully abstracted into a board game. Clean & gorgeous with simple gameplay that perfectly fits the platform while fully maintaining the feel of the original IP.

3. Farming Simulator 14 ; Not as sophisticated as it's PC roots, but hey, it's farming on the go!

My list is very heavy with Dragon Quest games, as so many have been released for mobile this year and I've really liked them.

1. Dragon Quest IV ; Chapter structure keeps things moving, with some interesting storytelling elements.
2. Dragon Quest III
3. Dragon Quest I ; Having a single playable character against one enemy at a time, with abilities having one possible target that doesn't need selecting (healing = yourself, attacking = enemy) works really well with a touchscreen.
4. Dragon Quest II
5. Desert Golfing ; Simple concept executed very well.
6. Threes
7. Hitman Go ; Great puzzles that can get challenging, excellent art design.
8. Monument Valley ; Great puzzles that aren't too challenging, even better art design.
9. Dragon Quest VIII ; The controls didn't adapt so well to a touchscreen unfortunately.

Brakara

1. Hearthstone ; Addictive, polished and so playable. Everything you want from a CCG.
2. Hitman GO ; I don’t care about the mainline Hitman games, but this one is a real gem.
3. Star Realms ; Taking the Ascension formula and turning it into a p2p game was pure genius.
4. Threes ; Sparked countless clones, and it’s easy to see why.
5. Crossy Road ; Fun and addictive, but man do I suck at this. Still, just one more time...

Voidance

1. Kingdom Rush: Origins ; The most fun TDs I've ever played. This is the hallmark iOS TD franchise for a reason.

2. Monument Valley ; No game matches genre with art better. Also, I have a soft spot for puzzlers.

3. Hearthstone ; Pure, distilled CCG bliss.

4. Out There ; I loved the feeling of aloneness and sense of wonder.

5. FTL ; Fast-paced, (occasionally) frenetic gameplay. Lacks the atmosphere of Out There, but the combat is a rush.

I may add more as I complete them, but if not, this top five should suffice.

Corum

1. 80 Days
2. Hitman GO
3. Hearthstone
4. Threes
5. Kingdom Rush: Origins

This thread is great, I've neglected mobile games this year so I'm doing my best over the Christmas period to catch up.

PittaGAF

1. Out There
2. Banner Saga
3. Star Realms
4. Talisman
5. The Nightmare Cooperative
6. Valiant Hearts
7. Monument Valley
8. Sailor Dream
9. Threes
10. Rules!

1. Monster Strike- Addictive pinball-style battler with rpg mechanics and tons of monsters/abilities.
2. Brave Frontier- Similar to above, but in a straight RPG battler.
3. Terra Battle- Nothing more to add that others haven't said.
4. Gems of War- Basically Puzzle Fighter
5. Deep Loot- Fun "grab all the goodies you can/dig into the sea floor before time runs out" game.

1. FTL advanced edition ; a perfect port and the game I played the most by far to the point I don't know which other game I should pick up... The game just burnt my free time and messed with my sleeping pattern, the famous "one last turn and I stop...". How can I be that gullible...

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; I have played loads of different collectible card games since I discovered magic 20+ years ago. Hearthstone is the first one I can see myself continuing playing for a longer period.
2. Threes! ; A great puzzle game that everyone should have on their phone or tablet.
3. Monument Valley ; An artsy puzzle game with Escher-inspired art that is pretty and interesting. It is rather easy and thankfully doesn't overstay its welcome.
4. FTL: Faster than Light ; A great port and it's a good fit for tablets.
5. Dragon Quest III ; The third entry has a job system and more complex world.
6. Dragon Quest II ; The sequel added a party system.
7. Dragon Quest I ; It still holds up fine although it feels like a basic protype.
8. Sentinel 4: Dark Star ; A very decent tower defense game.
9. Desert Golfing ; Highly addictive with good core mechanics.
10. Love Live! School Idol Festival ; A pretty decent music game if you ignore all the text and most of the music.

Unfortunately, Terra Battle is still not available in my region.

Matt Frost

I think I got this list nailed now

1. Out There
3. Splot
2. Traps N Gemstones
4. Monument Valley
5. Threes
6. Leo´s Fortune
7. Castle Doombad
8. Kingdom Rush Origins
9. Kero Blaster
10. Space Age

emgeejay

The best mobile game of the year came out on iPhone just this month. It is called Alcazar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5NML-aedYA

It is recommended to anyone who loved the DS incarnations of Picross, Slitherlink, Picross 3D, Pic Pic or Nurikabe. Basically, if you think the following screenshot looks like a lot of fun:

UuYY1I7.jpg

There are hundreds of puzzles. The first few are free. The difficulty curve is perfect (although with one sharp peak at the 3-star levels -- I'll give you a hint:
the shading on the floor tiles can give you logical information
). The touch controls are so well designed they feel good. It is excellent.

Hasney

1. Hearthstone ; I bought a tablet literally to play this in front of the TV without having to put my laptop on my chest while horizontal. Best £130 I ever spent
2. Kairobotica ; It's a Kairosoft game, so you can expect the charm, but it's different in format and still so addictive. Save all the planets, then hit up New Game Plus... Again
3. WWE Supercard ; Very much my own personal Destiny in which I can see all the flaws, yet I spent a stupid number of hours on it
4. Terra Battle ; If it wasn't for RNG gods mocking me, I'd probably be into this more. Going to try again now I have a tablet and see whats what considering I still had a blast for a few chapters.
5. Crazy Taxi: City Rush ; A f2p nightmare, but has Hulk Hogan in it. Driving a a taxi.

kulapik

1. Monument Valley, very short but amazingly beautiful.
2. TwoDots. Fun game, I don't know what to say about it. It's too simple to say something elaborate.
3. Best Fiends. Maybe because of my love for 10000000 I greatly love this game, the art is pretty and the microtransactions are not very shoddy, though I haven't spent a dime on this game, and I wouldn't matter if I did so.
4. Threes. Another kill time game, also very simple but very addicting. I haven't played it much lately though, I've been more invested in other games.
5. Crossy Road. I have had it installed only for a few days and I'm lovin it so far. It's fun for quick breaks.
6. Terra Battle. I haven't played it in a long time, I even uninstalled it, but the little I played it was nice though the damn runners annoyed me as hell.
7. Card Wars. I'm not a hardcore Adventure Time fan, I watch it sometimes but not always, but I really like this game, since my phone can't run Hearthstone and doesn't have enough space for other games
8. Wayward Souls. Another game I haven't played much, but since it's a roguelike I don't have a big problem with that, the main problem is that with all those puzzle games that I have I find it better to play those to kill time than playing this one. But when I do I enjoy it inmensily.
9. Sumico. I love maths (though I went to study a career that doesn't have any maths) so this game is perfect for me, simply add and substract (plus multiplication and division if you want to add them to the mix) the numbers on the screen to get the ones you want.
10. Glint. I lost too many time in this game, and it's very simple, quickly connect the balls of the same color before the screen gets flooded. Fun.

And though it's not from 2014 I played it and finished it this year, shout out to 10000000, one of the best puzzle-RPG games that I've played so far. Maybe that's why I'm liking Best Fiends so much.

Edit: Oh man, forgot about Threes, fixing that now

Timotheus

1. Hearthstone
  2. Monument Valley
  3. 80 Days
  4. FTL
  5. The Banner Saga
  6. Vain Glory
  7. Threes!
  8. Motorsport Manager
  9. Bean Dreams
  10. Crossy Road

Such a good year of mobile gaming!

Corgi

Banned
1. 80 days ; Just such a joy to play.
2. Wayward Souls ; tight controls, tons of free updates.
3. Battleheart Legacy ; Great gameplay, fun class system
4. Final Fantasy VI ; Solid port with visuals that look better on the phone. controls fine too.
5. Monument Valley ; love the visuals and simple gameplay.
6. Ace Attorney Dual Destinies ; Fantastic port that really makes the art look that much better.
7. Love Live ; Solid gameplay with a pretty lenient f2p component.
8. Game H ; Comment on Game H.
9. Game I ; Comment on Game I.
10. Game J ; Comment on Game J.

Honorable Mention: Brave Frontier. A game released in 2013, tons of flaws, but I really dig the core gameplay and the really great spritework. Only f2p game i'm happy to spend cash.

Cromat

A bit off-topic but is the Android library still substantially weaker than the iOS one?

Some big developers like Capcom don't even touch Android.

Sky Chief

Wait, Dual Destinies came to iOS!? That is literally the only reason I bought a 3DS!!! Fuck!!! I guess I did get to play it about 8 months earlier but at a huge price premium, I doubt I'll ever buy a Nintendo handheld again.

SystemUser

1. Threes!; Awesome puzzle game. Wins on gameplay alone, but I think it is first puzzle game where I liked the characters since Puzzle Fighter.

I didn't play any other 2014 mobile games for very long that I recall. I own a lot of the things listed in this thread due to Amazon FAOTD and various free coins promotions.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1. Trials Fromtier
2. Hitman Go
3. Sky Force 2014
4. Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
5. Valiant Hearts
6. Joe Danger Infinity
7. R-Type 2
8. The Banner Saga
9. Monument Valley
10. Threes

1. Goblin Sword
2. Adventure Xpress
3. Traps n' Gemstones
4. Banner Saga
5. Crossy Road
6. Leo’s Fortune
7. Hitman GO
8. Goat Simulator
9. Skullduggery!
10. Super Monkey Ball Bounce

bonesquad

For fun, here's my list. There's a bunch I'm probably leaving out, and the order is questionable. It was a pretty darn good year.

1. 80 Days ; What can I say that hasn't already.
2. Xcom: Enemy Within ; LOVED the original on PC, but didn't play EW until this. Xcom'ing on a plane works well for me.
3. Hitman Go ; Not a Hitman fan, and so I was surprised how cool and original this puzzle game turned out.
4. Galaxy Trucker ; Only new board game for iOS I got this year, and I'm fine with that because this is very well done.
5. Out There ; Thought I was getting FTL mobile, but it's more Oregon Trail in Space. Which I'm more than ok with.
6. Perfect Paths ; Enjoyed SpaceChem until it got to be multiple factories. This I can handle.
7. Banner Saga ; The look of this game is amazing.
8. Monument Valley ; A very relaxing game. Gobbled up all the expansions immediately.
9. Super Glyph Quest ; For me, this is how you do a match-3 RPG without even using tradtional match-3 mechanics.
10. Card City Nights ; I hate CCGs. I love CCNs.

Been busy the last few weeks so haven't had the time to tally all the votes up yet. I'm extending the voting period to the 28th (next Wednesday)

nkarafo

Can a mod please tell me why the "signature" under my username is a link for this thread?

And why is he forcing his opinion on me this way?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Can a mod please tell me why the "signature" under my username is a link for this thread?

And why is he forcing his opinion on me this way?

ahhhahahahahahahaha

it may have to do with this thread you made

Android/IOS games are mostly simple/casual friendly games and shovelware. Of course, there are a few good games that work well with the limited touch screen controls and even a few classics. But i want to talk about the former in this topic.

Now, im not interested about non-gamers or casual gamers who don't have consoles and were never interested in videogames. I want to talk about people who used to game a lot on consoles/PCs/handhelds and now they only play silly, mindless games on their phones.

whichever mod did that deserves a medal

nkarafo

ahhhahahahahahahaha

it may have to do with this thread you made

whichever mod did that deserves a medal
Whatever. The "They're better than the best console or handheld ones" was unnecessary. Also, if he disagrees, he can post a reply to that thread. Or, if he thinks my opinion is offensive he can lock the thread.

ColdRose

1. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall director's cut ; my second favourite overall GOTY so a shoe-in for my mobile favourite. Good story, fantastic cast, intriguing setting. And clearly showed that Harebrained took criticism of DMS to heart.
2. Banner Saga ; another game with a lovely setting and a story and characters that made me engage Completely.
3. Threes ; stupidly addictive.
4. The wolf among us ; another enjoyable game from tell tale. Loved Bigby.
5. Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright: dual destinies ; been looking forward to this for a while. Still not quite as much fun as my favourite (3) but a damn good time was had anyway.

Top Bottom