• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Maxi Boost ON announced for PS4

Mista

Banned

Bandai Namco will release a PlayStation 4 version of the 2016-released arcade game Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. Maxi Boost ON, the company announced. It will launch in 2020 in Japan.

The two-on-two team battle action game features 183 Mobile Suits from across the 36 Gundam works that appeared in the arcade version, including:

• Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F91
  • Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
  • Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
  • After War Gundam X
  • Turn A Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 -A wakening of the Trailblazer-
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
  • Mobile Suit Gundam AGE
  • Gundam Reconguista in G
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
  • Gundam Build Fighters
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
  • Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: The Blue Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack – Beltorchika’s Children
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED ASTAY
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 -STARGAZER-
  • Gundam Sentinel
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway’s Flash
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Mobile Suit Variation
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00V
  • Gundam Build Fighters A-R
  • Gundam EXA
A demo of the PlayStation 4 version will be playable at Taipei Game Show 2020 from February 6 to 9 at the Bandai Namco Entertainment Taiwan booth. A special stage event will also be held on February 6 from 15:00 to 15:40 local time.

Gematsu

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Lack of local Vs mode is the only thing that held me back from purchasing the last version on PS4. I got my start in this series by playing friends on actual netlinked arcade cabs, so I will accept no downgrade.

blackjon24

Thank you Namco!! What makes this game worth getting if I was disappointed in gundam versus? How does it compare to the latest one in the arcade? I really enjoyed the psp and the ps3 ones back in the days!

Last edited:

Shouta

Thank you Namco!! What makes this game worth getting if I was disappointed in gundam versus? How does it compare to the latest one in the arcade? I really enjoyed the psp and the ps3 ones back in the days!

This is the upgraded version of the PS3 titles so of you liked those, this is the one to play.

blackjon24

This is the upgraded version of the PS3 titles so of you liked those, this is the one to play.

Hmm I was playing the ps3 titles in 2011 would have been nice back then... we got a taste of current gen with gundam versus but the dlc situation was atrocious. And now we are going back to ps3 generation when arcades have a current gen sequel?

Don’t mean to be downer but being an overseas gundam vs fan has been frustrating for years that’s why I kind of just walked away from it but happy to see Namco supporting gundam fans worldwide now!

Shouta

Hmm I was playing the ps3 titles in 2011 would have been nice back then... we got a taste of current gen with gundam versus but the dlc situation was atrocious. And now we are going back to ps3 generation when arcades have a current gen sequel?

Don’t mean to be downer but being an overseas gundam vs fan has been frustrating for years that’s why I kind of just walked away from it but happy to see Namco supporting gundam fans worldwide now!

EXVS2 isn't all that much of an upgrade to MBON as I recall aside from some graphics updates, I think? Gundam Versus uses a different engine so it looks different.

ZiriusOne

Can't believe they are actually bringing it to PS4 and to the west at that. It's been so long and i had given up all hope. Very good to see that BN is bringing more Gundam games to the west. In there day1.

SkylineRKR

I love the Beta atm which is live every saturday. Playing it with Pro N Hayabusa stick and it feels perfect.

I used to have the original PS3 version, haven't played it since. But this is a fine tag battle franchise.

seems like the official Gundam Youtube channel had posted all three parts of the original 0079 One Year War Gundam movie for those who are interested. if you had never watched the OG before, this should be a good one. the art didn't age that poorly in my opinion but of course that's subjective. the story however is still pretty awesome especially since this one started the whole "realistic" robot and war genre and has plenty of iconic moments.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
seems like the official Gundam Youtube channel had posted all three parts of the original 0079 One Year War Gundam movie for those who are interested. if you had never watched the OG before, this should be a good one. the art didn't age that poorly in my opinion but of course that's subjective. the story however is still pretty awesome especially since this one started the whole "realistic" robot and war genre and has plenty of iconic moments.

The Gundam movie trilogy is fucking phenomenal. If you enjoy I HIGHLY recommend reading the the Origin manga, which is the definitive version of the OYW, but alsochekc out the series remaster. The original 1979 TV series was remastered in 4k and it is BEAUTIFUL, you can see brush strokes, grain of the cels,so much organic power in the art.

And then of coure go through the rest of the Universal Century.

Origin-Anime covers the manga material prior to the Side 7 invasion
08th MS Team(skippable due to a shitty ending)
0080(maybe the best Gundam piece of media there is),
Thunderbolt-phenomenal but releases are sporadic
MS Igloo - fucking brilliant but the CG shows its fucking age
0083-It's melodramatic and kinda cheesy but some wonderful designs and an amazing OST by Yoko Kanno
Zeta Gundam-Arguably the best series in the franchise but avoid the movies
Gundam ZZ - Starts weird but the highs are high as fuck
Char's Counterattack - brilliant movie, caps the Amuro/Char relationship off wonderfully
Gundam Unicorn - Uneven but like ZZ, the highs are very very high
Gundam NT - eh....some ool designs but the movie is very skippable
Twilight Axis - I have no idea what they were thinking with this. The novels are great but the anime is almost contentless
Gundam F91 - Interesting but it was obviously compromised
V Gundam - My personal favorite Gundam series, it is incredibly powerful but it was Tomino at his kill em all worst

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Dreamcast game got its online mode revived recently too (can't find 60 fps vid by players who at least know the dodge controls and stuff) :d

Though I'm more partial to another Dreamcast Gundam game.

Last edited:

Vanethyr

Have they said if there's any form of single player or an offline mode to practice in? I have a serious itch to play a Gundam game but I don't think I have the confidence to go online 😅

killatopak

Gold Member
Have they said if there's any form of single player or an offline mode to practice in? I have a serious itch to play a Gundam game but I don't think I have the confidence to go online 😅
There‘s the arcade mode which has tons of branches and has you fighting stronger versions of certain suits and mobile armors.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
The Dreamcast game got its online mode revived recently too (can't find 60 fps vid by players who at least know the dodge controls and stuff) :d

Though I'm more partial to another Dreamcast Gundam game.

See, the original vs games, Federation VS Zeon, AEUG Vs Titans, Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam are still my favorites. They had such awesome single player modes with crazy deep cuts like Doan's Island and so many obscure MS and MWs.

Rise From the Ashes is P Good too, but from that era, there is NOTHING like the Gihren's Greed/Ambition series. I wish someone were still making Gundam Grand Strategy games today.

SkylineRKR

Good lord. This shit is good.

Played a batch of player matches, which were all lag free. Got some win streaks going on, which I couldn't really pull off in the beta. Depends who you're teaming up with ofcourse. But broke 50k points a few times and a few first places. Couldn't find a ranked game yet. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough. But player lobbies are rather fun and matches start up instantly.

I recommend an arcade stick for this. Much easier double taps. Feels perfect.

Last edited:

manfestival

Been watching a bunch of people play it. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger. The $60 seems like a high pricepoint all things considered but I remember dropping like $90 importing the Gundam Extreme Versus or whatever back on the ps3 many years ago.

Shouta

Some of the new quality of life additions like the connection map has been pretty great, as well as being able to set controls in a lobby.

Unfortunately, some modes have been wonky and it looks like Bandai Namco is looking into Casual Match so it can be fixed.

SkylineRKR

Ranked mostly works when I put it on worldwide (for player matches this can be done on the spot, for ranked you have to go into settings). And there isn't a separate training mode? It was there in the OG PS3 release I'm sure.

Game is worth 60. Its very good. The single player modes are fun, co-op is probably fun (though no luck online yet). Netcode is very good. Even red bar matches were at least playable. But same region lobbies and match ups are generally perfect. The game feels the same as offline. Still trying to find my perfect suit. Actually doing well with Zeta, which has good ranged abilities. This is a culmination of 10 years of arcade play and upgrades, this feels like a very balanced game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom