• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S2TEKKADAN is MURDERERS, HAIL GHALLARJORN

PotatoCat

The end got me in an emotional rollercoaster man. It was the most realistic outcome but man the deaths got me all tilted and salty.

Yo what was the Easter egg???

Defuser

I think people see Tekkadan as the good guys because so far Orga never plotted against or deal underhanded means not to mention he cares/ feels remorse for his men. The only fatal mistake he made was being siding with Mcgillis crazy ideas.

Meanwhile Rustal did everything dirty and everything he can to win.

I think people see Tekkadan as the good guys because so far Orga never plotted against or deal underhanded means not to mention he cares/ feels remorse for his men. The only fatal mistake he made was being siding with Mcgillis crazy ideas.

I think a big thing to and why the "Tekkadan are totally the bad guys" argument falls flat was how the group was always reactive to what happens, almost never the actual instigators. The one thing they definitely took the initiative on was killing the CGS higher ups and deciding to back McGillis in this battle.

duckroll

I feel like if they really wanted to reflect the real world, Iok would've survived and become the new leader of Gjallarhorn.

I think they simply picked between Juliette and Iok. If you look back at speculations, most of us were guessing that either would die. Iok could easily have survived in the end, but he kept pushing his luck and I guess it ran out.

Loved the ending.

Don't know if the ending was supposed to be read as half full or half empty to be honest. But I enjoyed it.

Hope we get a new 1/100 model for Gusion Rebake and Khimaris Vidar! I want all 5 Gundam's now.

Gonna mull over my thoughts. Post them later. I would say I think the show stuck the landing. Not flawlessly, but still enough for me to say I enjoyed it.

Now for some cute art.

C8_ZO5_Mw_U0_AERIZt.jpg

C8_ZV_bp_UIAEMf-_I.png

C8_ZPw_T-_Vo_AEFMmb.jpg

Source.

fertygo

Julieta eating well made me happy..

I think what should be "strong female character" should be like Julieta, there's room for improvement but I really enjoy her character.

btw great ending.

Aselith

Man these anime streaming services are trash. I signed up for the Crunchyroll Premium and it still hasn't been applied to the account hours later and I tried to create a VRV account and I keep getting a networking error every time I try to sign up.

Pretty bad.

Never had a problem with Funimation Now but I wanted to watch this show with the English voice acting.

Heysoos

Julieta was a shit character, the ending was terrible. Gaelio was useless. At least Iok died. First and last Gundam show I ever watch, what a waste of time.

Annubis

That was the perfect ending that the show needed.
I really have no complaints but only praise.

Gundam IBO was good because it was different. They took a huge risk going along without heroes but they stuck to their guns and made something unique.

I'm back to being quite optimist about the next Gundam. That's huge given how jaded I was due to the recent seasons.

Defuser

I must say the ending for this impressive. Despite losing the war, in the end both McGillis and Orga objectives were met so technically they did win but with a heavy price.

McGillis wanted to reform Gjallarhorn, Rustal the did that by it making it democratic.

Orga wanted a place where human debris like him and the others won't have to fight anymore, Rustal and Kudelia did that by abolishing Human Debris and the remaining Tekkadan members got proper peaceful jobs.

Gjallarhorn reformed.
Human Debris abolished.
Mars finally achieved Independence.

It's a rather bittersweet of a bigger picture.

Andrew J.

That was an interesting finale. I could definitely see it being an issue in the future that Ride's group would try to go after Rustal and/or Julieta next.

There were a couple closeup shots of Kudelia's earrings during her speech and meeting with Rustal, and I thought it was setting them up to be listening devices or bombs or something, but nothing really came of it.

As always when I'm done with a mecha anime my thoughts turn to how it will be adapted in Super Robot Wars. IBO might be tricky both from a general tone standpoint (there have always been serious, morally grey stories alongside simpler good-vs.-evil ones, but the contrast would be especially great here) and when talking about the specific events of the finale. My bet is either it gets glossed over or changed entirely, or the player characters have to pull a Celestial Being and make a show of force to make both sides stand down.

Dave1988

Very satisfying ending. IBO is probably one of the best Gundams I've seen in a while.

Gonna miss weekends with Tekkadan T_T

casiopao

She jobbed every fight, survived 3 times against Mika, massive plot armor, took all the merit while doing nothing.

She is given the mission to stall and distract Mika and she superbly did that mission. Whats wrong with that lol.

Hell. without Julietta, Rustal is already dead lol. She is literally the best pilot with no AV in the series there.

Totakeke

I don't think the developments over the course of season 2 is as interesting or captivating as season 1, but the ending is really great. Probably one of the best anime endings ever for what it's worth.

such a bittersweet ending we already knew that mikia and guts weren't gonna survive but the orbital attack was just sad that they didn't even have a real chance. orga only mistake was siding with mcgills and getting carryed away with the king of mars thing though they got the world they wanted and akatuski will have a much better life then his parents. it was a fun ride people

also i loved how barbatos sounded like a wolf in the end we needed to see more full power mika tho

Totakeke

Were they? Color must have thrown me off, I didn't notice at all.

Yup, it was immediately obvious to me within the first second. I was actually thinking... "isn't that too obvious", but the public probably has no clue given that Tekkadan has been buried under the unknown annals of history.

RangerBAD

Well, that was a good ending. Most of the Tekkadan members didn't die and the people we figured would die did. I think Mika and Juliette were a lot alike in the end in that someone else gave them purpose and that's why we see empathy from her in the epilogue. Really disappointed that one of the villains got away with basically becoming a hero and being a reformer when he pretty much broke a large amount of laws to do it. Maybe this is to highlight hypocrisy in government. Probably not, but I really disliked it.

IOK DIED! And by Akihiro's hand, so that was satisfying as hell. I called Nobliss being offed, but didn't expect Ride to be the one to do it. Without Orga or Mika, I don't think Ride and the others his age really had direction. They couldn't look to Gene or Chad for guidance it seems like.

I think this season was pretty great and it created a lot of discussion in the OT. That probably hasn't happen with a Gundam TV series in a while. In the end, Tekkadan was just fighting for a place to be and for a future for others like them and it seems they succeeded for the most part. There were a lot of survivors and Akitsuki represents a future of peace without a relic of an organization that did nothing but damage peace.

She jobbed every fight, survived 3 times against Mika, massive plot armor, took all the merit while doing nothing.

She never felt important despite the screen time, but maybe that's why she didn't die. I mean in the end she showed empathy, but she's also staying by Rustal's side. I guess she's a "bear my sins" kind of girl.

Since her introduction Julietta has been way too good at "holding off Mikazuki". How come she is able to stand toe-to-toe with a Gundam time and time again without any significant issues. It's like she was just designated to be Mikazuki's roadblock without any further thought. Same with her magically misdirecting Shino's gun, it's just nonsense. She's one of the worst written ace pilots in recent memory.

Overall, I sort of appreciate the different tone the series had but I don't think the end result is all that great. This isn't what I watch Gundam for.

And can someone remind me the significance of Akihiro meeting / killing Iok? I don't recall any specific grudges between the two.

Dynedom

Iok and Jasley's collusion arguably marked the turning point and descent to shit that Tekkadan (and the Turbines) went through.

edit: Give Rustal shit for what you will but I don't think he ever ordered his men to open fire on non-combatants.

Shun

I don't know which mod in the past changed the title to Ghallarjorn is Terrorists, Hail Tekkadan before changing back; but the thread title was specifically made for a certain reason in mind.

I'm glad this revelation cleared everything up.

Defuser

And can someone remind me the significance of Akihiro meeting / killing Iok? I don't recall any specific grudges between the two.

Basically Iok and Jasely kill Naze and Amira by using Dainslef and then went a step further by killing Lafter, although it was Jasely that killed Lafter but Iok would have backed Jasely in the fight against Tekkadan if Rustal didn't prevent him from joining.

So funnily enough it was Iok that started the deus ex machina weapon that is the Dainslef. Rustal was probably like " Fucking Iok why you do this man, you know what fuck it Imma use it too"

TEAM RUSTAL BABY

LONG LIVE RUSTAL!!!

AHHH YEAHH

FUCK THAT DUDE.... FUCK

What is even more annoying is he accomplished more to peace then anyone else ironically (all be it via terrible means)

10/10 ending. I peeked my head in here before and saw people complaining so I was a bit anxious they would flub but instead it hit every single note I wanted it to hit. Incredible episode.

I think a big thing to and why the "Tekkadan are totally the bad guys" argument falls flat was how the group was always reactive to what happens, almost never the actual instigators. The one thing they definitely took the initiative on was killing the CGS higher ups and deciding to back McGillis in this battle.
And that's the issue. They backed the wrong horse. And throughout the real world history of armed conflict and death, this usually works out exactly how it happened here.

People make a single incorrect choice and pay for it. That's life. That's war.

casiopao

And that's the issue. They backed the wrong horse. And throughout the real world history of armed conflict and death, this usually works out exactly how it happened here.

Yup. It had happen many many times in history.

Azai supporting Asakura to face Nobunaga and paid with their lives there as they support the wrong sides.

It just happen and Tekkadan back the wrong guy this time and paid with their existence.^^

Vengal

That was a pretty different ending to most anime in the same vein, but very in line with the rest of the themes and tone of the series. What was the point of the Mobile Armor episodes? Was that just intentional misdirection for the audience or something?

Shun

Their issues was more than just backing McGillis. Not that they were villains, they just weren't heroes. Like Gaelio.

It was continuing the cycle of violence and corruption when they had every chance to preemptively stop. They instead decided to get drunk off their own power and capabilities and like McGillis, became an example for what happens when someone overestimates their force in a quest for strength.

They've continually made the wrong investments, despite others like Naze, giving them a pathway for success. Brash, hot blooded youths who thought they were above and could beat the system, ended up being played and reaped what they sow. Outside of McGillis and Tekkadan, there are countless instances of characters who defined themselves as brute force, or might, overestimate their capabilities and end up paying for it.

Also for those wondering the easter egg in this episode was Haro.

That was a pretty different ending to most anime in the same vein, but very in line with the rest of the themes and tone of the series. What was the point of the Mobile Armor episodes? Was that just intentional misdirection for the audience or something?
I think it was to subvert expectations on where this was going absolutely. I thought for sure when they showed up that we'd see newtypes.

kurahador

Such bittersweet ending and hard to watch. Definitely not the Gundam series I'll recommend to anyone asking, but I enjoyed it as a whole.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Easily the best Gundam ending. About all I can say to it. To compare it others, I think the Seed, Wing, Original, 00, etc. All have a similar tone to their endings. Hero saves the day, bad guy defeated, sacrifice made by a sub character. Zeta jumped the ship and decided to just axe the cast other than to have a downer ending.

This is the first one where I felt like it worked for the series' strengths. It's happy, but sad. All the characters that can survive do so and each has a certain future based upon their actions, both good and bad. This is how it works. Alongside Rustal surviving, I think was a great touch. I expected the cartoon ending, but him surviving and living on works well. He's the most popular figure in Gallahorn since 300 years ago. He can re-position himself and them. He's now looked upon as a savior rather than a dictator. It's basically a redux version of 00 S1 ending, which was one of the few good endings in Gundam.

Defuser

You know I don't mind Rustal surviving but I don't think having Rustal doing the reforming or treaty sits right with alot of people. Rustal and the 7 stars represents the corruption of Gjallarhorn which is why McGillis wanted to reform in the first place.

duckroll

The Mobile Armor arc is what makes the show complete. It showed us a glimpse of the world that made the current one. The fables of the Gundams, the founding of the world police as a knightly order, the question of why these fantastical and unrealistic things linger in an otherwise pragmatic setting. It is because once the world was united against an inhuman enemy, and there was a need for those with power, and heroes who would rise above politics and morality, to fight that enemy. Barbartos destroying the Mobile Armor reaffirmed McDumbass' delusions. It made him believe those values still hold true today. It is what motivates the entire second half of the season. Except the world no longer works that way. That's the point.

Their issues was more than just backing McGillis. Not that they were villains, they just weren't heroes. Like Gaelio.

It was continuing the cycle of violence and corruption when they had every chance to preemptively stop. They instead decided to get drunk off their own power and capabilities and like McGillis, became an example for what happens when someone overestimates their force in a quest for strength.

They've continually made the wrong investments, despite others like Naze, giving them a pathway for success. Brash, hot blooded youths who thought they were above and could beat the system, ended up being played and reaped what they sow. Outside of McGillis and Tekkadan, there are countless instances of characters who defined themselves as brute force, or might, overestimate their capabilities and end up paying for it.

Also for those wondering the easter egg in this episode was Haro.
Yeah, after the what, four odd years of growth they manage to become a respectable but still very small and undersized military outfit (just look at the one they beat early in S2 and how they compared to them in terms of force size and composition). They basically get lucky and assume that their devil's luck means they'll never be beaten or struggle. That they can claw through every conflict and come out victorious. And it doesn't happen. Everybody starts getting killing because of their unchecked ambition (the prototypical example being them starting an earth branch without any clear ability to run and police it). And the whole time, Naze, Teiwaz, Kudelia and the whole world that they've built is telling them no. Slow down. You're nowhere near powerful enough yet. McDonalds sold them on his own power and being able to project it to aid them when in reality he was master of nothing. He too, needed to hide his time and gather his strength. His plan was idiotic and childish from the beginning. Something his friend in GaliGali knew from the beginning as well.

They fed into each other's hubris after they had middling success in a plan that ultimately didn't accomplish what THEY set for, but what is best for the world and the government's.

They were children playing a game and the real adults with the real power who had being doing it for far longer out played them at every step.

I don't know which mod in the past changed the title to Ghallarjorn is Terrorists, Hail Tekkadan before changing back; but the thread title was specifically made for a certain reason in mind.

I'm glad this revelation cleared everything up.

That was me. People seem to be mad that the "bad guys" won, but there were no real good guys. Everyone was required in order to reach a point where the good ending happened.

Without Tekkadan, without Ghallajorn, there is no Mars indepedence. There are no freed slaves.

As an example, McGillis is needed to wake up the complacent Galileo and tear down Ghallarjorn to the point that Rustal has to save face by going the way it did.

Tekkadan was a low-level mob. Ghallajorn was a corrupt, aristocratic order without hope of reform. Everyone lost and everyone honestly won.

I think most are probably salty about Rustal getting away scot-free, but eh. He was more a force of nature than a character.

Yup.

You know I don't mind Rustal surviving but I don't think having Rustal doing the reforming or treaty sits right with alot of people. Rustal and the 7 stars represents the corruption of Gjallarhorn which is why McGillis wanted to reform in the first place.

I mean, Rustal is at the top, but McGillis' ambitions were largely realized and even GaliGali "got" the other side by the end.

RangerBAD

The Mobile Armor arc is what makes the show complete. It showed us a glimpse of the world that made the current one. The fables of the Gundams, the founding of the world police as a knightly order, the question of why these fantastical and unrealistic things linger in an otherwise pragmatic setting. It is because once the world was united against an inhuman enemy, and there was a need for those with power, and heroes who would rise above politics and morality, to fight that enemy. Barbartos destroying the Mobile Armor reaffirmed McDumbass' delusions. It made him believe those values still hold true today. It is what motivates the entire second half of the season. Except the world no longer works that way. That's the point.

Much like how Ancient Greece or Medieval times are romanticized.

duckroll

Much like how Ancient Greece or Medieval times are romanticized.

Yeah but those empires fell. The interesting thing about the setting here is that the "empire" that came out of that survived to a point where their origins were no longer relevant to the world. I think that's one of the most interesting parts of the writing in IBO.

Top Bottom