• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans S2TEKKADAN is MURDERERS, HAIL GHALLARJORN

casiopao

You can't be serious right now! Lol, wow. Barbatos had one barely functioning arm, extreme structural damage and Mika was controlling the thing with his mind, she was fighting a unconscious person. It just so happens she decided to enter the fray when Barbatos was essentially out of gas and likely sustained too much structural strain to handle all it's "break-neck" actions. Just reason for a moment that she got shitted on when Mika was serious and Barbatos wasn't smashed up in their previous encounter...what changed in this encounter? Everything was in her favor.

It still does not changed the fact that she survived such a long battle between her and Barbatos on their last skirmish there which no one without AV seems to had been able to do since we enter S2. On the last battle of course it does not really count as Julietta entering a totally different fray of battle condition however, i think you are still selling her short there.

What an ending. Very good and the series overall is #2 in my books after 00.

I'm sad that Mika didn't survive even as a cripple but it worked out for the best.

I have never cheered harder for a characters death than when Iok died crushed by the scissors.

I'm not happy Julieta got away without a single scar. Mikazuki should have left her a present from Tekkadan to remember her sins. However it was fitting that it was her that defeated him. I feel that Julieta is still the weakest or one of the weakest characters in the series and that she was just lucky in the dumbest of ways.

Rustal should have lost an arm or leg too to remember his own costs to the war. He played the long game perfectly and was rewarded for it so I can't fault him for that.

Nobliss dying was the real moment of revenge that Tekkadan needed. Also wow WTF at Ride's grown up form. Can totally see the Tekkadan terrorist movement happening if they go that route.

Akihiro died a heroes death for killing Iok and now he can be with the boss and his waifu.

Overall the ending was great and fitting that Kudelia was leader of the Mars Union.

There was no miracle fix of saving Tekkadan. The iron flower spread its seed and finally wilted but its seeds have grown to their own flowers as now Akatsuki will live on along with all the surviving members.

Its too bad Akatsuki didn't get a stepbrother or stepsister though. Mika should have convinced Kudelia better LOL.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I love the ending and wouldn't mind being wrong but I can't shake the feeling they're going to make a finale movie ala Endless Waltz. This felt like a Good end but not a True end.

I think now that all the pieces are in place you'll see a time of peace but only because Rustal is waiting for the moment to gain supreme control. That control would come from either Iok's men that want to redeem their leader, or the framing of Tekkadan through Ride's guerrilla unit. Eventually, Mika's son will learn from his father after entering the cockpit of Bael who was restored using the remains of Barbatos, (Juliet beheaded Barbatos but the cockpit is left unseen). Gundam Hijinks ensue. Oh and Gaelio is going to be a fleet captain that sees the full picture and sides with the reformed Tekkadan.

Hope I'm wrong!
I'm gonna go ahead and say you're 100% wrong.

Same with the people who thought Rustal was going to get betrayed by GaliGali and Julietta. What anime were you watching? This anime again cements that in it's canon, it's power, intelligence/cunning, and connections that get you ahead. Rustal is literally in charge of the free world, why would he waste time becoming a dictator? That was McGillis character arc.

Ending was fine though. Iok dying like a bitch was 10/10. The rest was a bit melancholic, since all the characters we actually cared about / were actually cool, are dead. The world is a better place though. RIP Mika, was actually hoping he was spared, but I was obviously naive.

Menthuss

That ending was pretty much what I was expecting. Was kind of hoping SpaceGuts would survive but I'm okay with him dying considering he managed to take that shitlord Iok with him.

Also, I just realized that I care more about Barbatos getting completely trashed than I do about Mikazuki dying. Such a boring character, if you can even call him that.

OVDRobo

Damn, what an ending.

I can't really add much on top of what has already been said, but I really like the way it concluded, just for the fact that it remained consistent to the themes displayed throughout this entire second season.

I can understand people being angry because the main characters didn't 'win', but I got a good amount of closure from everything that happened.

About the only thing that doesn't sit right with me is Mika not getting any decent kills in his last stand. It makes sense because unless you're an idiot like Iok or an opportunist like Julietta, you're not going to go charging out into the frontlines past the walls of grunts, but I wouldn't have minded if he and Julietta had finished each other off. Maybe something like Barbatos' tail smashing her cockpit after Mika died, since Mika was basically controlling Barbatos with his mind at that point. Just feels kind of shitty from a viewer-perspective for Gaelio, Rustal and Julietta to all survive. If Iok had made it through as well, I might actually hate this series.

Definitely up there in terms of Gundam series overall, though. Might even be my favourite taking into account how different S2 of 00 was or how whiny Banagher was throughout Unicorn.

StayDead

I thought for sure Rustal was going to be killed right at the end. Oh well.

RIP to all the great characters that led to that ending happening. I love that Akihiro got his revenge before he died also.

Apharmd

1. I can't believe Shun fucking called it. I, uh I'm eating some crow.

2. Just when I thought this couldn't be even more contrived, Rustal is a benevolent dictator. Somehow everything is okay.

Great ideas. Dogshit execution. Par for the course for IBO.

When the final episode of this season airs, know that I have predicted that Shun's OT would be more entertaining and would have less bullshit than the final battle.

NEVERMIND MY PREDICTION WAS SPOT ON.

overall to me the series was meh, especially the second season. No real character development outside of like 3 ppl, so they drop everything about them on the episode they die to give more feels when all I'm thinking is who are these dudes and why do I care. Wasted like 8 episodes on earth tekkaden when tbh i dont even remember if anything came out of it. The weird introduction of the secret old ppl group and kudelia in s1 who then vanished until the end of s2. Also the reduction of kudelia and atra in s2 as just a harem for mikazuki was pretty meh. It probably is one of the better gundam series with the overall ideology/themes that were presented compared to how most gundam series are, but as a regular anime series the execution felt subpar.

Mister Wolf

What an ending. Very good and the series overall is #2 in my books after 00.

I'm sad that Mika didn't survive even as a cripple but it worked out for the best.

I have never cheered harder for a characters death than when Iok died crushed by the scissors.

I'm not happy Julieta got away without a single scar. Mikazuki should have left her a present from Tekkadan to remember her sins. However it was fitting that it was her that defeated him. I feel that Julieta is still the weakest or one of the weakest characters in the series and that she was just lucky in the dumbest of ways.

Rustal should have lost an arm or leg too to remember his own costs to the war. He played the long game perfectly and was rewarded for it so I can't fault him for that.

Nobliss dying was the real moment of revenge that Tekkadan needed. Also wow WTF at Ride's grown up form. Can totally see the Tekkadan terrorist movement happening if they go that route.

Akihiro died a heroes death for killing Iok and now he can be with the boss and his waifu.

Overall the ending was great and fitting that Kudelia was leader of the Mars Union.

There was no miracle fix of saving Tekkadan. The iron flower spread its seed and finally wilted but its seeds have grown to their own flowers as now Akatsuki will live on along with all the surviving members.

Its too bad Akatsuki didn't get a stepbrother or stepsister though. Mika should have convinced Kudelia better LOL.

If Atra hadn't butted in and stayed in her room then Kudelia would have slept with Mika. She went to see him with the intent to do so.

That was a pretty good final episode.

I admit, I was fucking cheering when Iok was getting crushed. Bastard had it coming half the season ago.

Older Atra, oh my.

Overall score: 8/10

Now to wait for FT anime, I'll never give up

gatti-man

That was a pretty good final episode.

I admit, I was fucking cheering when Iok was getting crushed. Bastard had it coming half the season ago.

Older Atra, oh my.

Overall score: 8/10

Now to wait for FT anime, I'll never give up

I loved the line "now I have a good story to tell the others" like death was coming home for some of these tired characters.

Ken

okGVekQ.png

pfycPhK.png

z5yird8.jpg

AHHH

its kinda of funny how in the rustal won because of the amount of plot armor his troops got iok and julia survied way too many times especially that save she pulled off. i think it would have been better if both sides lost

Shun

1. I can't believe Shun fucking called it. I, uh I'm eating some crow.

2. Just when I thought this couldn't be even more contrived, Rustal is a benevolent dictator. Somehow everything is okay.

Great ideas. Dogshit execution. Par for the course for IBO.

NEVERMIND MY PREDICTION WAS SPOT ON.

I wasn't predicting anything, I was dropping hints and just straight up telling you shit that would happen.

As a relatively new hire I first I thought it would be fun just to fuck with everyone in the beginning of season 1, but I after episode 4 or 5 I stopped.

Nothing bullshit about it when it's everything that happens. It's funny to see how many people still fail to understand the point of this story, and how many people's opinions changed other the course of the broadcast.

There were a lot of bumps and last minute changes throughout the course. Tekkadan Radio also reveals a little bit more insight into real character motivations and why certain things were so flawed.

Overall Orphans had great ideas, pacing and execution was a real miss and it was really hard for someone to get invested in anyone other than Gaelio after seeing them for who they really were in the storyboards and promotional material. While it does well to circumvent usual Gundam tropes, it strays very far and is very anti-Gundam other than pushing forward the strength dynamic as a core theme, with everything else Gundam sprinkled on the side.

For those who want a prequel to Orphans, subscribe to Gundam ACE and read the Gekkou garden story. If you're familiar with Gundam SEED Astray, Gekkou's period in time and subject matter is similar in that they are side events that happen before and lead up to the TV anime.

Look forward to Twilight Axis and our UC focus for the upcoming year. Huge Tomino related news.

gatti-man

its kinda of funny how in the rustal won because of the amount of plot armor his troops got iok and julia survied way too many times especially that save she pulled off. i think it would have been better if both sides lost

Rustal won because he had superior firepower, power position, contacts, money, and a will to be subversive. He never really was in any danger of losing sans that one suicide attempt. Seemed perfectly reasonable he would win and promote things the uprising wanted while still keeping gjallerhorn in power. That's what Rustals haracter would do. Change with the times and keep his power as best he can. I would say over all Rustal increased his personal power all while solidifying G's power as well. If they didn't give Mars independence there would be all out war eventually.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans: Ride's Counterattack

gatti-man

Can someone recommend me more gundam with similar production values? I really loved the action and art of IBO compared to other gundam shows I've seen.

Can someone recommend me more gundam with similar production values? I really loved the action and art of IBO compared to other gundam shows I've seen.

Thunderbolt looks very high production, haven't seen it tho. Just a trailer during the life size gundam light show. But it looked very nice animadversion.

kurahador

Huh...IBO actions are pretty small in doses and too spread out. Try;
- Gundam 00 for more action packed and great animation.
- 08th MS Team for good characters and more grounded story.

Drayco21

Build Fighters has some really fantastic action and production values; totally different tone otherwise though. 00 Season 1 is pretty good stuff too.

Totakeke

And one thing that I love, despite how dark it is, is that Tekkadans destruction is what led to society finally accepting that Human Debris as an institution is in humane. The beginning of the season pointed out that despite Tekkadan really only trying to fine a place for themselves, their actions only encouraged more armed forces to use more Human Debris because they found them viable.

They could have delved a lot more into those themes but they didn't. It would have made S2 a lot more interesting thematically.

Shun

And it says...what?

If you've played Super Robot Wars before, the series likes to do a lot of alternate scenes. It's a reimagining of Orga's death scene in episode 48 where some mook goes to try and kill him off.

But instead of succeeding in killing Orga, Kamina and Volfogg come in time to save Orga and drive the dude off with their own special moves, How-Dare-You-Aim-For-My-Dear-Friend's-Life-PUNCH, and SILVER MOON.

Atra checks up to see what happens like in the original episode, and sees that Orga is fine. Both her and Kudelia are relieved. Then Orga and Kamina offer to have Tekkadan and Gurren-dan team up and work together along with Volfogg following in the shadows.

Orga reminds himself that he needs to return Mika's gun back to him and they go get ready for the rest of how the supposed scenario would work out if it happened in Super Robot Wars.

Ken

man, julietta pinning berserk barbatos and telling the grazes to fall back when they're already dead is so good

If you've played Super Robot Wars before, the series likes to do a lot of alternate scenes. It's a reimagining of Orga's death scene in episode 48 where some mook goes to try and kill him off.

But instead of succeeding in killing Orga, Kamina and Volgarr come in time to save Orga and drive the dude off with their own special moves, How-Dare-You-Aim-For-My-Dear-Friend's-Life-PUNCH, and SILVER MOON.

Atra checks up to see what happens like in the original episode, and sees that Orga is fine. Both her and Kudelia are relieved. Then Orga and Kamina offer to have Tekkadan and Gurren-dan team up and work together along with Volgarr following in the shadows.

Orga reminds himself that he needs to return Mika's gun back to him and they go get ready for the rest of how the supposed scenario would work out if it happened in Super Robot Wars.

Ah, neat.

I know of SRW, just couldn't read the moon runes.

Look forward to Twilight Axis

Kickin'.

and our UC focus for the upcoming year. Huge Tomino related news.

Ehhhh.

I like UC in the form of projects like Unicorn and Thunderbolt, mini-series with a solid budget. I prefer AU series because they give the team's more room to try something wildly different with Gundam, whereas the UC projects all feel remarkably similar.

Grazzt

Yeah I'm fine with Rustal's survival since he was hiding in the space, but Julieta? I still don't know the purpose of this character. She should have died long ago.
At least Iok got crushed by Akihiro...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pretty somber ending which I think fits perfectly for what this show was all about.

Sad to see Mikazuki go, I was sure he was going to die, but I still was hoping he could've made it out somehow.

If Atra hadn't butted in and stayed in her room then Kudelia would have slept with Mika. She went to see him with the intent to do so.
This is fanfiction.

Kudelia is a girl who freaks out over a kiss. Having sex in engineering hangers is for girls raised in brothels, not ojou-samas

Mister Wolf

This is fanfiction.

Kudelia is a girl who freaks out over a kiss. Having sex in engineering hangers is for girls raised in brothels, not ojou-samas

I didn't say she wasn't scared or nervous. I'm sure Atra was nervous as well. She came to confess her love in the middle of the night. If reciprocated by Mika knowing Atra was ok with it which she already told her she was and hoped for it, they would have had sex. Atra killed it by being to eager showing up and ruining the mood.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
What's the obsession with the UC? Thunderbolt is great but isn't Reconguista set super far into the UC? Aren't they running out of space to explore and continuously add more stories? It seems that they'll be more and more contrived rather natural progressions of the timeline and often don't make sense mechanically in relation to other stories in the saga, e.g. 0083 Stardust Memory vs Zeta. I wish that they'd create a new universe set it in it's infancy...similar to Gundam 00 but actually used to be the foundation of something long lasting. Bandai and Sunrise seem so fixated on selling people on the UC and only introduce a new universe for brief periods to allow their writers more time to shoehorn a story into the Universal Century. Honestly, I think Gundam needs a hard reset to rid itself of all its tropes and introduce novel ideas to the franchise.

This probably isn't the popular opinion here but oh well, I don't care.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I thought Macross Delta and Reconguista in G were both better than Orphans. So you tell me.

Good for my paycheck, yes.

Reconguista better than Orphans...? Damn, what did you like about Reconguista?

Top Bottom